• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza 4 |OT| Where Porsche Are Driven

cbox

v1oz said:
Just a quick question before I buy this. How accurate is Forza in full simulation mode? If you really own the car in real life, does it really handle like your car in the game?

My mazda 3 feels the same as the one in the game, nimble as fuck but will screw you over if you take it too far.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Diablohead said:
There is no automatic way to compete against other clubs unless you manually set up a room for it, it's a shame because little to no one ever uses the lobby team settings in this game, they would work brilliantly for clan battles.

Sharing cars and competing for times in rivals is about all a car club is good for.

Stuff this game needs to use more:

Team races, the game will even change the base colour of the car you use, why is this not used more if at all?
Forza 2's league tournament stuff, that shit was hot.

Also a faster tyre wear option for short races so we can actually pit for new rubber in a 10 lap race would be nice.

i've said this before, but other than the shared garage (which still isnt hugely useful), the car club just extends your friends list. i hope its really expanded upon in fm5 cause its pretty disappointing here IMO

saladine1

v1oz said:
Just a quick question before I buy this. How accurate is Forza in full simulation mode? If you really own the car in real life, does it really handle like your car in the game?
What I've noticed is that weight transfer where muscle cars are concerned anyway are close as I've seen them yet. The autocross in particular really show this off dramatically.
The XB GT, Mach 1 Mustang, I can say, behave pretty much as they do irl.

G Rom

I finally made the switch to manual with clutch. Heads will roll next time my 360 is online and I put some hours in rivals mode. :D

G Rom said:
I finally made the switch to manual with clutch. Heads will roll next time my 360 is online and I put some hours in rivals mode. :D

It's nice, right? Makes a huge difference on the straights. You can easily put out a second gap over the regular manual shifting.

G Rom said:

yeah, time for me to get back into it. i used clutch in FM3, but switching to the Speed Wheel i went back to just the manual because there was just too much going on.

Goddammit, everyone seems to be going over to the dark side.

I have doubts as to whether my feeble powers of concentration and coordination can handle the rigors of the clutch, but you people may not leave me any choice.

I see what you did there Mr. Stroganov. Hell toupee for that, brother.

I hope Starter Car Open made you feel as dirty as it made me feel. I blame those who went before us for setting a bad example! Filthy little corner cutters, all of you!

Spaceman Spiff said:
Goddammit, everyone seems to be going over to the dark side.

I have doubts as to whether my feeble powers of concentration and coordination can handle the rigors of the clutch, but you people may not leave me any choice.
You'll wish you had crossed over before. It takes next to no extra brain power.

vixlar

Diablohead said:
Also a faster tyre wear option for short races so we can actually pit for new rubber in a 10 lap race would be nice.

This, and smaller gas tanks, so the gas would be a reason to enter pits too...

Mr.Green

Fanatec No-Rewards bug update

Thomas from Fanatec has updated his blog with the following:

Thomas said:
Fanatec wheels are too good to be true?

Thanks to the great feedback. Because of your feedback we have been able to reproduce it. It always happens if you do an extreme clean lap without any countersteering. The most easy way to reproduce it is on an oval.

Special thanks to our members FakeThinkpad and kartman21 who detected the solution.

What happens? The Fanatec wheels allow minimal movements of the steering wheel and extreme precise manouvers so that the game apparantly thinks that the user must be cheating as this cannot be achieved by a human.

The better you drive the more often it happens. It is independent from the steering angle but a clean lap is more likely if you use higher sensitivity like 900°. In theory it can happen with a controller or other wheel as well but so far I was not able to proof that because it is hard for me to drive clean without our wheels. ;)

Solution:

1. Make sure that you make at least one drift with countersteering per race

2. Reduce your steering angle to 270° to emulate the MS wheel which makes it harder to drive clean but avoids the issue more likely.

Of course, T10 is working on a patch to solve this issue but it takes time until those things go through all internal testing so please be a little bit patient.

We've been more than a little patient! Hurry up T10! ;)

eek5

Mr.Green said:
Fanatec No-Rewards bug update

Thomas from Fanatec has updated his blog with the following:

We've been more than a little patient! Hurry up T10! ;)
I was kind of hoping that the two 900 degree bugs were related.

eek5 said:
I was kind of hoping that the two 900 degree bugs were related.
My thoughts too.

I don't think they'll wipe their hands at this point, but it certainly doesn't make me feel any more confident. I still think they'll fix the countersteering issues however.

p3tran

Banned
Hurry up T10! ;)
I'd prefer that that they test thoroughly and not in a hurry.
They've known that something "might be" up with the wheel since day one of public release. one or two days later yoritomo made that vid and sent it to the beard man himself.
its not like t10 is not aware of its community, biggest proof is the way they handled the green disc promo. fanatec also.
let them take their time and fix it the best way possible. then I'll beat all your asses in 900" lol

Mr.Green

He replied this on his blog about the counter-steering bug:

Thomas said:
This "countersteering bug" might be related but so far it is not proven that it is actually a driving aid nor that you can feel any difference in driving.

We have noticed that the telemetry screnn does not actually show the exact input the wheel gives to the game so it could be just an optical issue.

Yoritomo

1. If it's an optical issue, then it's an optical issue with the front wheels as well, as the front wheels directly mirror the relative angle of the steering wheel in Telemetry.

2. I can somewhat confirm what they're saying. Do a lap on the high speed ring and you'll get 0 credits just about every time. I didn't know why this was but this explanation makes sense

3. This means that the only time when you can truly say you're driving in 900 degree mode and not being affected by the counter steering ratio adjustment is when you don't get any credits at the end of the race cause you never had to counter steer.

W...T...F...

About feeling the difference in driving. I don't know how to show that there's a "feeling". I just know that steering input is multiplied by some amount when counter steering in 900 degree mode. Obviously there is logic taking place that occurs only when counter steering. No one can dispute that. There are a few explanations. A). I can defy physics and am a GOD in forza 4. I never spin, unless the AI slams me into a wall. I can drift, drive v8 supercars at 10/10, and make any car dance like a marionette, and I can do all this without putting any more than 135 degrees of lock in during counter steering. B). Or the game is doing something to help me achieve ridiculous angle and catch wily RWD monstrosities.

Full disclosure, I'm not that good, at all. I have to go with B). The game is doing something. You are fully welcome to go with A). that I'm amazing.

eek5

Yoritomo said:
3. This means that the only time when you can truly say you're driving in 900 degree mode and not being affected by the counter steering ratio adjustment is when you don't get any credits at the end of the race cause you never had to counter steer.

W...T...F...
So pick your poison? :lol

Heads up, just read that you can share unicorns as long as you get rid of the tune on them.

Will be adding the Top Secret Toyota to the club garage tonight!

Yoritomo

tirant said:
Really, how can this bug escape from QA???????

The same way that all the crazy triple screen bugs and other 900 degree wheel bugs made it through QA. They didn't have anyone testing certain combinations for any appreciable time.

Diablohead said:
There is no automatic way to compete against other clubs unless you manually set up a room for it, it's a shame because little to no one ever uses the lobby team settings in this game, they would work brilliantly for clan battles.

Sharing cars and competing for times in rivals is about all a car club is good for.

Stuff this game needs to use more:

Team races, the game will even change the base colour of the car you use, why is this not used more if at all?
Forza 2's league tournament stuff, that shit was hot.

That's a shame, I was hoping for more. It would have been awesome to have had one of the rivals sections be strictly a car club affair.

side note: I love beating your times Diablo :p

At least they're fixing (part of) the problem. Still annoying as hell to know the people that spent the most money to enjoy Forza are the people that get screwed the most.

Anyway, on to more important things. Downshifting and braking/cornering when in manual+clutch. I've been doing great getting speed up and making my starts and coming out of corners fantastic but I'm not feeling the downshift slowing me down as much as I think it should be? What are some tips regarding clutch/braking that might help? I overshoot corners more than I'd like to admit mainly because of the downshift not slowing me as much as I'd expect it to and have started using brake more often than not.

Any tips?

And is it just me or does it feel the cars just "lost grip" when going into a turn hot too often? Is this mainly because of the tire choice? I'll find myself upgrading a car and then go to tires and want to choose race but the PI would overshoot what I'm aiming for, so I'll leave them with whatever they came with.

Thomas said:
This "countersteering bug" might be related but so far it is not proven that it is actually a driving aid nor that you can feel any difference in driving.

We have noticed that the telemetry screnn does not actually show the exact input the wheel gives to the game so it could be just an optical issue.
The dude that makes the game, and the dude that makes the wheel both don't notice that full op-lock comes way too early? What the hell?

flyinpiranha said:
At least they're fixing (part of) the problem. Still annoying as hell to know the people that spent the most money to enjoy Forza are the people that get screwed the most.

Anyway, on to more important things. Downshifting and braking/cornering when in manual+clutch. I've been doing great getting speed up and making my starts and coming out of corners fantastic but I'm not feeling the downshift slowing me down as much as I think it should be? What are some tips regarding clutch/braking that might help? I overshoot corners more than I'd like to admit mainly because of the downshift not slowing me as much as I'd expect it to and have started using brake more often than not.

Any tips?

And is it just me or does it feel the cars just "lost grip" when going into a turn hot too often
Is this mainly because of the tire choice? I'll find myself upgrading a car and then go to tires and want to choose race but the PI would overshoot what I'm aiming for, so I'll leave them with whatever they came with.
Don't downshift too early or you'll lock the rears. Exactly what you said.

Mr.Green

Yoritomo said:
The same way that all the crazy triple screen bugs and other 900 degree wheel bugs made it through QA. They didn't have anyone testing certain combinations for any appreciable time.

Exactly. You'd think that having licensed Forza wheels they'd put more effort in it but 99%* of players are using a pad so that's what they tested, and man those pad controls are really dialed-in. It kinda blows to pay hundreds of dollars on a wheel setup and feel at a disadvantage.

Oh well, I don't wanna be too dramatic here. The game is fantastic and fun as hell regardless.

*Number pulled right out of my ass

saladine1

flyinpiranha said:

Any tips?

And is it just me or does it feel the cars just "lost grip" when going into a turn hot too often? Is this mainly because of the tire choice? I'll find myself upgrading a car and then go to tires and want to choose race but the PI would overshoot what I'm aiming for, so I'll leave them with whatever they came with.
You shouldn't rely too much on compression braking imo. Use the brakes as your key stopping power and then your clutch and gears for the exits.

saladine1 said:
You shouldn't rely too much on compression braking imo. Use the brakes as your key stopping power and then your clutch and gears for the exits.

OK, so when going into a turn should I downshift to where I think I should be or just downshift completely and then go from there shooting up quickly to the sweet spot.

I still definitely need to learn the tracks more but with auto I wasn't flying off the track as much (and sadly I'm still taking first - AI needs to be improved!) as with m+c.

So basically just use brakes and clutch/downshift and glide into the turn then push out?

Yoritomo

I tend to use the brake while slowing for a turn/braking into a turn, during this process I'll select the gear I'll use to accelerate out of the corner either at the apex, or slightly before the apex if I'm doing a very late apex at this point I'll blip the throttle to rev match and engage the clutch progressively so if I didn't blip perfectly I won't upset the rear end too much. Then I roll onto the throttle depending on traction.

saladine1

Yoritomo said:
I tend to use the brake while slowing for a turn/braking into a turn, during this process I'll select my gear I'll use to accelerate out of the corner either at the apex, or slightly before the apex if I'm doing a very late apex at this point I'll blip the throttle to rev match and engage the clutch progressively so if I didn't blip perfectly I won't upset the rear end too much. Then I roll onto the throttle depending on traction.
That's pretty much text book stuff right there.

flyinpiranha said:
[...]and have started using brake more often than not.

Any tips?

You should be downshift for corners in conjunction with braking. Coasting to lower your speed enough to safely downshift seems very slow. Maybe I am misreading.

Are you blipping the throttle when you downshift? Make sure you play with full damage— if you downshift too early you'll damage the engine. Good clue.

Are you downshifting too late? The RPMs should jump to the top of the tach. Engine braking is more pronounced at higher RPMs as the engine is trying to pump more air out of the vacuum than at lower RPMs.

saladine1 said:

Rely on? no-- the wheels only have a finite amount of traction and your brakes can already supply more than enough to exceed it. In tight corners at least (Motegi, Hockenheim, Sebring), you should be on the brakes and downshift through the gears to keep the RPMs up so the engine helps relieve the brakes. If you do this you're within a gear of the one you want to be in for the exit.

... Do brakes fade in Forza?

saladine1

This is a pretty good explanation of heel and toe:

Heel-toe or heel-and-toe double-declutching is used before entry into a turn while a vehicle is under braking, preparing the transmission to be in the optimal range of rpm to accelerate out of the turn. One benefit of downshifting before entering a turn is to eliminate the jolt to the drivetrain, or any other unwanted dynamics. The jolt will not upset the vehicle as badly when going in a straight line, but the same jolt while turning may upset the vehicle enough to cause loss of control if it occurs after the turn has begun. Another benefit is that "heel-and-toeing" allows the driver to downshift at the last moment before entering the turn, after starting braking and the car has slowed, so the engine speed will not be too high when the lower gear is engaged.

skyfinch

Affinity bonus is going up. Level 25 and it's slightly over 100k. I think I'm at level 30 now. Sounds obvious but the best way to level up affinity is to pick races from event listing that gives you 100% bonus. Running out of those, however.

Yoritomo

As someone with big feet I just need to add that while it's called heel and toe, it might actually be impossible for you to do it just like that with larger feet. I use the side of my foot to blip the throttle under braking. Same technique different positioning.

saladine1

Yoritomo said:
As someone with big feet I just need to add that while it's called heel and toe, it might actually be impossible for you to do it just like that with larger feet. I use the side of my foot to blip the throttle under braking. Same technique different positioning.
I also use the side of my foot only because it feels more natural to me that way.

Shaneus

U n i o n 0015 said:
Heads up, just read that you can share unicorns as long as you get rid of the tune on them.

Will be adding the Top Secret Toyota to the club garage tonight!
Does that mean it behaves more like a stock Supra then? If so, what's the point?

I have a TS Supra and the TS S15, but would hate to lose the tunes on them if it meant they didn't have their Top Secret magic woven in.

Reprise

Neo Member
Been playing for a few hours tonight got up to level 8 ...

Loving it! Biggest difference between FM3 and FM4 is the finesse you have to have powering through a corner, in FM3 you could get a line through a corner and slam the accelerator and it would stick 95% of the time.

Now there's a bit more gentleness required which is great as it there feels like more of a weight transfer occurs, but it certainly caught me out a couple of times so far heh.

You guys were right about the AI ... some of the time a moving roadblock is a better term for them, easily coming through the field and one will swing right for you as ya come through lol. They need to be harder too, but i hope thats just an early phase thing.

The interface and menus are SOOO much more bearable now, I think I had white menu burnout from FM3 and was so sick of the music after hearing it for so long.

Gonna have to learn to drive the manual/with clutch on controller way soon but the last time I tried it was so damn fiddly so I gave up, maybe the new controller layout might help this time.

Reprise said:
Been playing for a few hours tonight got up to level 8 ...

Loving it! Biggest difference between FM3 and FM4 is the finesse you have to have powering through a corner, in FM3 you could get a line through a corner and slam the accelerator and it would stick 95% of the time.

Now there's a bit more gentleness required which is great as it there feels like more of a weight transfer occurs, but it certainly caught me out a couple of times so far heh.

You guys were right about the AI ... some of the time a moving roadblock is a better term for them, easily coming through the field and one will swing right for you as ya come through lol. They need to be harder too, but i hope thats just an early phase thing.

The interface and menus are SOOO much more bearable now, I think I had white menu burnout from FM3 and was so sick of the music after hearing it for so long.

Gonna have to learn to drive the manual/with clutch on controller way soon but the last time I tried it was so damn fiddly so I gave up, maybe the new controller layout might help this time.
Is there any clear benefit in using the clutch with the controller? Isn't it too much complicated?

Lima

Faster acceleration. Also you can map the clutch to A and press both clutch and shift at the same time. Without going off the throttle too since T10 for the second time didn't feel like implementing damage while doing so.

Shaneus said:
Does that mean it behaves more like a stock Supra then? If so, what's the point?

I have a TS Supra and the TS S15, but would hate to lose the tunes on them if it meant they didn't have their Top Secret magic woven in.

No, I don't think they actually have custom tunes on them, they just somehow get locked when T10 sends them over. If you remove the tune, you're not really removing anything but the lock. The car will behave just like it should.

Lima said:
Faster acceleration. Also you can map the clutch to A and press both clutch and shift at the same time. Without going off the throttle too since T10 for the second time didn't feel like implementing damage while doing so.

ah cool, i'll try sooner or later

oh, just bought the miura concept T_T so beautiful

Yoritomo

Here's the bug list of things I've noticed so far.

1. Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S with Firmware 681. The counter steering bug, where the ratio changes when counter steering in 900 degree mode. This is apparent in both the in game telemetry and the front wheels of the vehicle. I made a video of the demo of this behavior and also contacted Dan via facebook. So I know this is already getting looked at.

2. 0 Credits after some races in world tour when using a Fanatec wheel and pedals. I don’t know exactly when/why this is happening. I has not happened to me since the title update but it was random before and seemed to happen more during the beginning of world tour mode in slower cars. Now fanatec believes it happens when no counter steering is ever used during a race and simulation steering is on.

3. Heat 2 on Infineon. Every 2 heat competition I’ve been on in world tour mode on infineon has an error in triple screen. The left screen will act as if it’s from the wrong position usually as if the vehicle itself were to the right of where you’re starting from sometimes clipping through the wall. This doesn’t affect driving, only the view on the left screen. This is while using cockpit view. I haven’t tested other views. It corrects itself when you reach the first corner after the start of a race.
4. Streaming custom soundtracks from a media pc during triple screen play will sometimes crash the game when loading. It also has an adverse affect on all 3 screens at times while racing. This is understandable though due to the network traffic.

5. Not so much a bug. Some people are minterpreting the corrupt design/vinyl file as a corrupt save game thereby deleting their actual save instead of the small corrupt vinyl/design file. Perhaps the wording could be changed for the warning when a corrupt design/vinyl is detected. (they actually addressed this a little after I sent the e-mail last week.)

6. Triple Screen + Multiplayer Lobby + custom soundtrack via iPod = hang on loading and crash of both of the side screens. (This is repeatable every time if playing on the Benchmark Ring).

7. If the 1st and second heat take place at different times of day the side screens will almost always retain the time of day settings of the 1st heat in the race series. So if the 1st heat takes place midday and the 2nd heat takes place at dusk then the primary screen will show dusk, but the side screens will show midday.

8. Using Manual w/clutch you can still do a clutchless start with a sequential shifter plugged into a fanatec wheel. The clutch is immediately engaged on start and you lose no time. If you plug-in the h-shifter however there is always a delay at the beginning of the race. Without modulating the clutch at all there will always be a delay, even if you use the clutch at the start with the h-shifter there still seems to be a slight delay that will prevent you from ever getting a perfect start. For clarity. If I am using the h-shifter and begin a race by just pressing the gas pedal and waiting for the countdown there is a delay where the game will not allow me to launch for something like a half second after the race starts. If I unplug the h-shifter and plug in the sequential shifter this delay disappears. I can launch perfectly at the start time with the sequential shifter plugged without modulating the clutch at all. This is when Manual w/clutch is enabled in difficulty. By sequential shifter I mean the sequential shifter accessory that you get with the fanatec.

So with manual w/clutch enabled – h-gate shifter = delayed start. Sequential shifter = perfect start.

9. Corrupt vehicle pictures. Some vehicle pictures in the player garage are replaced with red noise. In club garages some vehicle are just black boxes with no data, picture, etc but can still be viewed and test driven.

Reprise

Neo Member
i nerini del buio said:
Is there any clear benefit in using the clutch with the controller? Isn't it too much complicated?

The main benefit is being able to have your revs slightly higher as you're exiting the turn but not have all the power go through to the wheels straight away and cause over/under steer.

So for example, using the clutch you could be sitting at 8K RPM, but the power that's going through to the wheels is more like 6K RPM.

Using the clutch in effect holds back the power going through to the wheels, ready for you to use as you exit the turns so you can get higher speeds on straights than normal ... hope i'm explaining it right heh

The last time I tried to use the clutch on the controller I was also trying to get the hang of non ABS assists so I cracked the shits probably because I was trying to do it all too soon lol

Mr.Green

Yoritomo said:
1. Fanatec Porsche Wheel Turbo S with Firmware 681. The counter steering bug, where the ratio changes when counter steering in 900 degree mode. This is apparent in both the in game telemetry and the front wheels of the vehicle. I made a video of the demo of this behavior and also contacted Dan via facebook. So I know this is already getting looked at.

If you haven't already, you really should post on Thomas' blog. He actually reads the comments and replies to them.

Top Bottom