• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 1 is Better than 2.

Certinty

I know this is a fairly unpopular opinion but reading today it seems a decent amount of people share the same view. Not saying that 2 is a bad game because it's honestly one of the best current-gen exclusives out there but here's why for me 1 is the better game.

Firstly the way you progress in the first game is far superior, you have a set list of pre-chosen class races to for every colour wristband and you did them. With every wristband the number of Horizon races decreased and there was actually a main goal, to get the golden wristband and win the Horizon festival. Meanwhile in 2 it's like "go here, go there and choose whatever event you want", the freedom was a little too much and doing the same thing again and again had no progression whatsoever. Then suddenly when you won enough events you're given a final race out of nowhere. Although wristbands existed in 2 they served no purpose whatsoever.

The map is also far better although restricted. Driving around Colorado was a blast, the main area of the festival felt exactly like that and the other parts such as the Grand Canyon and the area with the dam were simply amazing to drive-by too, each part of the map felt unique. In 2 sure there were towns across France and Italy which felt unique but the rest of the map did not, it was simply just open grassland to fly through with the game not feeling like a festival whatsoever. Colorado was a much more varied and better setting in my eyes.

There was much more than just the main events such as street racing. Events at night where pedestrian cars would still be on the road, roads wouldn't be blocked and they were up to you to complete however. It gave a complete different side to the festival. 2 went backwards getting rid of these.

Also minor points but the guy who talks to you in 2 is far more annoying than the woman in 1 and the soundtrack for me was also more fitting and superior to 2's. Saying that 2 obviously excels over the first in many ways such as the inclusion of weather, improved physics, bucket list challenges (which are awesome) and so on, but that's to be expected.

Overall however 1 for me was simply a much more fun experience. Nothing beats racing a Mustang plane down the Grand Canyon in a 70's Ford Mustang, something that was far more memorable than anything in Forza Horizon 2.

Given the game is free with Games with Gold and compatible with the Xbox One, I hope a lot of people give the game a try. It really is one of the best racing games ever made and has dated amazingly well to add to that.

Horizon 2 is the overall better game imo but Horizon 1 was brilliant as well. Can't blame someone if they prefer it

My main issue with FH2 is it seemed they moved a bit more away from the "Festival" feeling and that's the best aspect of the game

Gestault

I loved 1 but prefer 2. The setting felt more varied, there were more showcase events, and the "playground" areas on the maps were particularly good.

For me, you could flip the coin between the two and either choice wouldn't be the wrong answer.

The only thing I'd give the slight advantage to is Horizon 1's soundtrack being better than 2's, though 2's was great.

Either way, they're both fantastic games. Everyone wins.

T.O.P

Banned
Can't really decide, they are some of my favourite games of all time honestly

I totally agree on the wristband and the sense of progression wich was better on the first game

Anyway, just started the first one again in BC, looks amazing, runs great, the wait for the third game is gonna be freakin glorious now

Noobcraft

All FH1 needed for me to enjoy it more was more freedom. It pretty much locks you into roads. I look forward to revisiting it via BC in a few days.

SpartanN92

Banned
I also prefer Horizon 1 but Horizon 2 is still terrific (Hell it was my 2014 GOTY...2014 wasn't a great year lol)
Will be there day one for Horizon 3.

ghibli99

Both are amazing games, but I do tend to gravitate to the first one when I think about which one's my favorite. It could be that I didn't wait very long between games to play the sequel, so I might've been feeling a touch of that burnout, but yeah, Forza in general is just a solid-ass franchise. Easily my current favorite, and I can NOT wait for FH3 later this month!

antitrop

I haven't played either of them, but Forza Horizon 1 being set in my home state makes me prefer it automatically.

JP

I really enjoyed both but the first one was the better one for me.

I had a brief go on the original on my Xbox One earlier but it seems to run at an abysmal frame rate so I had no control over the cars at all, the frame rate must have been at 10fps and I'd completely blank spaces with no textures at all very couple of minutes. A real shame as I was so pleased to be getting the downloadable version for free. :(

I loved 1 but preferred 2. The setting felt more varied, there were more showcase events, and the "playground" areas on the maps were particularly good.
This is how I feel. Don't get me wrong, 1 is a fantastic game but I liked 2 more for these reasons and more. Everything just felt better and more improved to me. I also liked the soundtrack in 2 more as well.

Horizon 2 didn't get rid of street races either.

Eh, there's things I like and dislike about both 1 and 2. To me, the biggest improvement in 2 wasn't being able to drive off roads, it was being able to tune your car, I felt 1 sorely need that.

I had a brief go on the original on my Xbox One earlier but it seems to run at an abysmal frame rate so I had no control over the cars at all, the frame rate must have been at 10fps and I'd completely blank spaces with no textures at all very couple of minutes. A real shame as I was so pleased to be getting the downloadable version for free. :(
Wait what really :(

Gestault

Give the Xbox a restart. I had issues with Sonic Episodes 1 & 2 that I assumed were the emulation. It turned out I hadn't done a full restart in some time. I saw a few people with varying levels of your issue in FH1 that solved it like that, and everyone else with basically ideal performance.

I liked 2 more. The off-road stuff, better soundtrack, improved online, real barn finds, and I liked the showcases better as well. The one with the train and the cargoplane stand out to me.

Rally was better than Storm Island though

I liked the first, but dropped it due to the setting feeling repetitive and open world racers in general sucking.

The third one looks ace though, can't wait to race on beaches.

U2NUMB

The moment I was able to drive through a fence and fly through a field in Horizons 2... it beat 1 in my mind. Love them both but in my opinion 2 is a far better game. Hell playing Horizon 2 on 360 was an eye opener as far as how bad it was after playing it on X1.

I think it might depend on which order you play them. I'm just now playing the first one and I think FH2 controls much better and I like the campaign better.

killroy87

The moment I was able to drive through a fence and fly through a field in Horizons 2... it beat 1 in my mind. Love them both but in my opinion 2 is a far better game. Hell playing Horizon 2 on 360 was an eye opener as far as how bad it was after playing it on X1.

Which is crazy, because it's actually a super well done 360 port.

Metzhara

My initial response to the title was, "Duh!"

It's been MY experience this is the more common response, but there are those that do enjoy FH2 better. I think the difference between the two is commonly:

FH1 does a better job at homogenizing the experience and introducing non-simulation racing fans into the world of Forza Motorsport by including the perfect storm of player option, soundtrack, and control. These three together work in a very special balance.
FH2 does a better job at the racing/go anywhere core of what FH founded. FH2 has a disbalance in the original three concepts that made FH work so well, but what it alters is making more option and maintains the control. It does so by not focusing as deeply on the "vibe" of the original.
There might be those that enjoy the vibe of FH2, but ultimately FH1 as more inviting to those who may not have joined in. Hell, I would normally have skipped the soundtrack only it worked so well. FH2, not so much.
In this regard I feel that FH3 is a crap shoot. I don't know if it will mesh well with the vibe of FH3, but I'm definitely ready to try.
I should also say this: FH2 is NOT a terrible game. It was only disappointing in that you had wanted more of FH1's stellar soundtrack and integration, but it just didn't deliver as you wanted, even without wishing it had "X" music/song/artist.

Rellik

I agree. FH2 was a let down.

This.

I loved FH1 and put so many hours into it, but after about 10 hours of FH2, I was bored out of my mind and stopped playing it. I can't really work out why this one was so boring compared to FH1. I just felt like I was doing the same crap over and over again.

They're both great games on different platforms.

Horizon was a brilliant game on the 360 and Horizon 2 was incredible on the XB1. Can't wait to see what Playground have in store for number 3!

Amagon

I liked 2 more. The off-road stuff, better soundtrack, improved online, real barn finds, and I liked the showcases better as well. The one with the train and the cargoplane stand out to me.

Rally was better than Storm Island though
I really love that train race. My favorite moment of gaming since forever.

Strootman

Copy pastying my post from the BC thread:

Wow, I must say that forza horizon 2 is waaaaaay better than the first one. Being limited to drive on the streets really limits the fun. Also Colorado is boring. The one color palette is annoying, and there isn't that sense of wonder when exploring like in FH2.

Music is fucking great tho.

And there's no impuls trigger which makes the driving less enjoyable in some way.

jem0208

I agree the progression is better in the first but I much prefer the map in the second. Cruising along the Italian coast in a classic Ferrari with some amazing music blasting is pretty fantastic.

Grisby

I kind of liked the structure better too. 2 is a fantastic game, but the narrative of racing against these pro guys in one on one races in the original was better to me.

Lima

The festival part in the center of the map was so much better as well as the structure of the campaign with the wrist bands and working your way up. It was also not as fucking grindy as 2. I mean yeah this is not an unpopular opinion at all. Pretty much everyone I know that played 1 likes it more.

Megasoum

Banned
200% agree.

I got bored of FH2 after a while. It was just aimless and lacking focus.

FH1 had a clear and solid progression.

Because of this I'm really nervous about FH3.. if they are closer to 2 than 1 then I'm not sure that I'm that interested.

Also

tumblr_m874v6fL0L1qdez4ro17_500.gif

MrBenchmark

Seriously, at the worst points I was getting a pause of over a second between frames.

Really? I even tried moving it between hard drives but it didn't help at all. Maybe I should try downloading it again if this isn't happening to others.
Houston you have a problem! I've never experienced any of that ever. Fully reboot your system. Also how full is your storage and are you on internal or an external and if external what kind.

I think Forza Horizon 2 is better because it ratchets things up and is the best racing game of all time. However, Forza Horizon 1 is absolutely no slouch and a GREAT game too.

Man I really need to play Horizon. Is it cheap on the Xbox 360 store? Do you need XBL Gold to buy/play it?

With XBL Gold its free this month, and for another $5 you can buy the season pass which includes the rally xpac and like... 50-60? extra cars.

Definitely worth it imo, installed last night and played a bit and its fun. I still prefer FH2 so far, the visuals in FH2 just blow FH1 out of the water as does the car "feel" and of course I think the Italian coastline is just insanely beautiful. Still, FH1 was running great for me on my xbox one with no real issues.

Man I really need to play Horizon. Is it cheap on the Xbox 360 store? Do you need XBL Gold to buy/play it?

You could pay $20 or so to buy it outright and play it on X360 or X1, or spend less than that to buy a month of Gold and get to keep the game forever. Only the multiplayer is locked out of a free membership and the DLC, the season pass and expansion (which is included) are on sale now.

RoKKeR

I prefer FH2 myself. More freedom, fun, and exploration. Didn't like the off-road races in super car classes, but I liked that they opened up the racing to more environments. FH1 is a great game, though.

Extremely excited for FH3.

Top Bottom