• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you planning to get The Crew: Horizon Motorsport?

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'm tempted.

As much as I love motorsports in general, it feels like the vast majority of racing video games that are coming out these days revolve around the more stuffy sports aspect of racing. The only big-budget games that focus more on arcade racing around scenic routes that are still around are Forza Horizon and Need For Speed. It's nice to see a different franchise taking the stage again to compete in this field, though it remains to be seen if it's gonna be any good. I liked The Crew 1 and 2 well enough but it's not like they were some ground-breaking games. They were just good enough to add another flavor to the very limited palette of arcade racers.

Although it seems like this time around it's gonna be straight-up ripping off Forza Horizon so I don't know how to feel about that. On one hand, yeah, that's cool. FH is a great series so there are worse things that The Crew could have been ripping off. On the other hand, it feels a bit disappointing because it means that they've stopped trying to give this series its own identity, and instead they're just gonna follow a trend. If there was one thing that The Crew always stood out to me for, it was the open world map which was essentially a scaled-down version of the entire United States. That was a really neat idea and I loved cruising around the country and visiting the wide variety of locations. And now they will substitute that with a smaller exotic location, pretty much like Forza Horizon does. Yay...

What would feel way more appropriate for this series is if they decided to set this sequel on a different continent and also make a scaled-down version of it. Like Europe for example. Now that would've been pretty cool and in line with the previous instalments.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
Family Feud Lol GIF by Steve Harvey

StueyDuck

Was in the closed beta... its fun, I like how it really seperates the different racing disciplines.

If you wanna do f1 style racing then you will need to manage Tyre degradation and manage pit stops. If you wanna play arcade off road sprints then you'll get boost active and you'll have ramps and different routes to take. If you want to race vintage then you lose the GPS and boost etc.

It's a fun twist having each race style being uniquely different.

It's definitely fun for a week, plus if you wish it does have a destruction derby BR mode where you fly in as a squad as planes then land and bash the competition

Drizzlehell

Banned
Was in the closed beta... its fun, I like how it really seperates the different racing disciplines.

If you wanna do f1 style racing then you will need to manage Tyre degradation and manage pit stops. If you wanna play arcade off road sprints then you'll get boost active and you'll have ramps and different routes to take. If you want to race vintage then you lose the GPS and boost etc.

It's a fun twist having each race style being uniquely different.

It's definitely fun for a week, plus if you wish it does have a destruction derby BR mode where you fly in as a squad as planes then land and bash the competition
Sounds like it has a good amount of variety, which is neat.

How are the driving physics, though? Are they still a little wonky like in the previous games?

Sintoid

If the Crew has zero narrative moments like "You must be the best pilot in the world, arent'you?" I will buy it for sure
I love racing games and all those "You're the best kid in the world" moments in Forza Horizon made me hate it

StueyDuck

If the Crew has zero narrative moments like "You must be the best pilot in the world, arent'you?" I will buy it for sure
I love racing games and all those "You're the best kid in the world" moments in Forza Horizon made me hate it
The OG Crew actually tried having a story, it also had police and so on.

All racing games today are essentially, here's an event, you will be the best racer, then someone teaching you will say "are you gonna be the best racer, we'll see"

Senua

Yep absolute garbage, Forza Horizon 1 had it best, where you started from the bottom and worked your way through to the top, classic blackbox NFS vibes. Progression is basically dead in FH5, you're already the "best" when you start

acm2000

Good thing sequels can improve then!
i can already play forza horizon for free if i want this sort of game but i much prefer closed circuit racing to open world and this doesnt look worth subscribing to u+ for either

Last edited:

Aion002

Probably not.

The first one was interesting, albeit flawed, I played it quite a bit, while the sequel didn't grab my interest at all... This new one seems too similar to FH5 and even less interesting.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
No. It looks like a Forza Horizon knock off and I don't enjoy them. The only car game I'm buying is the new Forza next month.

Virex

Banned
Yep absolute garbage, Forza Horizon 1 had it best, where you started from the bottom and worked your way through to the top, classic blackbox NFS vibes. Progression is basically dead in FH5, you're already the "best" when you start
Forza Horizon has gone downhill since 3. FH1 and 2 are GOAT. Especially 1, I played that for hours upon hours. Maybe I should play it on Series X. Seems to have gotten some nice BC Enhancements.

CeeJay

The Crew was dogshit, lets not beat around the bush. It may have been huge in scale but when the actual core driving feels crap compared to others then what's the point of giving it any time at all? The Crew 2 came and went in a similar manner (never played the second one and don't feel i've missed out on anything) so what is The Crew 3 going to do differently above and beyond a new coat of paint, new environment and new cars?

The Crew 3 is not on my radar and I expect it will come and go the same as the others in the series as it will be built on the same fundamental code and developed by the same team. If it somehow gets stellar reviews and a lot of high praise on here then I might change my mind. My time is too valuable to be spending it playing mediocre games when there are dozens of amazing games either in my backlog or on the store. Arcade racers are a favourite of mine and they have been well under represented the last couple of generations so there aren't too many really good ones around but, that is no reason to start playing the shitty ones.

Arcade racers are all doodoo trash these days. And no, FH5 is not that entertaining as well, I hate the progression system in the last 2 Forza Horizon games. Give me Burnout, MotorStorm, Blur, or anything that is actually fun to play.

We don't talk about Need for Speed. It's dead.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Arcade racers are all doodoo trash these days. And no, FH5 is not that entertaining as well, I hate the progression system in the last 2 Forza Horizon games. Give me Burnout, MotorStorm, Blur, or anything that is actually fun to play.

We don't talk about Need for Speed. It's dead.
I agree about the progression in FH. The games themselves are really fun to play but the way the campaign is constructed is like a complete flatline all the way through. You don't really feel like you're making any kind of progress. It's all about checking off those boxes from the map and collecting cars like pokemons or something.

I would really love a new Forza game that has a proper career mode that drip feeds progressively better cars and more difficult races as you get further into the game, and this is exactly why I found games like The Crew enjoyable despite not having the best driving physics. At least they understand that the campaign needs proper progression.

Elysium44

Banned
Planning to, no, the previous ones were mediocre. But I will give it a look and a chance to see if it's any improvement.

Certainly Forza Horizon is an empty shell of a game, lots of cars, very pretty, but Playground Games have got no idea how to make an actual GAME. It's more of a sandbox, akin to Flight Simulator, where you make your own fun (or not). So it would be nice to have something that looks good and gives you a reason to play it other than to just get your 600th car.

Last edited:

Aenima

No. but if it drops in PS+ Extra next year, ill play it. I did enjoy The Crew2 but the game is very gaas scentric with alot of car skins locked from old events.

Toots

Gold Member
short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooooooot a chance.
Short answer : no
long answer : no.
It is a millenial curse. You have to be praised whether you deserve it or not.
"Wow you did a perfectly average time, scraped your car on half the turns, and only won because of rubber banding, you must be the best ever !"
The same curse made Rei Skypatine a "hero", or turned Saint's Row's Boss into an unsufferable cunt in the remake.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Nah. Standard racing games are all the same to me.

Now if it were an arcade racer like Ridge Racer, I’d be all over it

Denton

I will play it in Ubiplus when Avatar comes out, maybe I will enjoy it. For 15 eurobucks I can risk it.

Alpha Male

ABSOLUTELY!!

I have the deluxe edition downloaded and ready to go for early access on Monday the 11th.

I love The Crew 2 and I had a blast with the recent beta for Crew Motorsport. The driving physics are much improved. The boats handle better and the planes - which I love - handle about the same as before.

Gambit2483

ABSOLUTELY!!

I have the deluxe edition downloaded and ready to go for early access on Monday the 11th.

I love The Crew 2 and I had a blast with the recent beta for Crew Motorsport. The driving physics are much improved. The boats handle better and the planes - which I love - handle about the same as before.
Has it been confirmed if planes are returning for this one?

Senua

Yeah, without working rearview mirrors. Should've at least made it exclusive for PS5/XSX.
Yea that is an issue, I wonder if it's modable on PC? The sense of speed, arm animations and camera shake are really convincing though, FH5's cockpit feels lifeless in comparison.

Top Bottom