• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 PC Performance Thread

they might have fix the store..My download restarted after 20gb but instead of downloading the whole thing again its only downloading the remaining 29gb. Fingers crossed the file works but can't be too sure with MS...

Haxxor

It'a a bit unstable, the framerate but still playable. In some areas, like in the begining it's stable locked 72fps,but in cities, with lots of stuff it takes a nosedive. Ans then it fluctuates.

It's at its worst in the tuneup meny, so laggy that i don't really play around as much aa i'd like to.

Then it's in the 50-60fps range.

Although i have yet to try any of the tips to get it to work better.

The vip bonusen don't work for me, and have to disable all sound /mic in to get the game working.

Everything is set to ultra, locked 72fps and 4xmsaa.

GTX1080, i7-4790k 4.0 ghz, 16gb RAM, gsync @ 144hz, 1440p.

I could save a video with the nvidia thingy if anyone want's to se the performance in motion.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I can get a locked, rock-solid performance on ultra when I lock the game to 30fps. However, there is more input lag on PC for me than on XB1. The easiest way to tell is to pull up the map and move the cursor around. It's definitely more responsive on XB1, and that for me is a big deal in a racer.

So 30fps doesn't feel anywhere near as stable as console, there is controller input lag, and the game is £50 at its cheapest.

I thought id be able to play it at 30fps on my laptop but it's not seemingly likely.

Has anyone played gears 4 yet? Does it have the same issues? Having controllwe input lag in that would be dire.

So 30fps doesn't feel anywhere near as stable as console, there is controller input lag, and the game is £50 at its cheapest.

I thought id be able to play it at 30fps on my laptop but it's not seemingly likely.

Has anyone played gears 4 yet? Does it have the same issues? Having controllwe input lag in that would be dire.

I am not sure anyone here would have had a chance to go hands on with a PC version of Gears 4, and I think maybe even the more priveleged enthusiasts in our ranks here on GAF have only had eyes-on demonstrations.

I'm cautiously hoping that its Unreal Engine 4 basis proves to be a boon for its PC version, but I have no experience with UE4 games on PC yet, so I can't really say that with much experience on the matter. And even some older UE3 or UE1 and 2 games didn't at all guarantee good PC performance, even just looking at the few ports of Gears of War 1 to PC.

gears 4 isnt out yet. but i wouldnt ever buy a directx12 game without seeing multiple performance reports first

Digital Foundry's 4K/60fps gameplay video looks pretty amazing. A bit envious, I must admit.

Wonder if they'll be back to analyze controller response with those same settings and 30fps lock using the in-game option. Or if they'll test it on lower-end hardware.

Bit desperate to find validation in my problems from professional analysis. Between that video and some users here with very awesome high-end specs, I feel like things are pretty cozy and fun at the top right now, but I'm just here about to finish my shift at work, desperately waiting to go home and play my Xbox One download when I'm sitting at this brand new gaming laptop I just got that probably has raw computation power that I guess has to be at least 3X better than Xbox One and can't, at any level of settings, at least perform exactly the same as that version.

Bit frustrating. :/

Popsickles

Can anyone report on Amd performance, all I'm seeing is Intel and Nvidia setups with issues. I wanna know what I will be looking at with my OC fx6300 and rx470.

Lettuce

As much as i hate to say it, i think im going to play this on my XB1 for the time being until they get the performance of this game to a stable place, its a joke that people with 1080 cards cant get a solid locked 60fps!!

Digital Foundry's 4K/60fps gameplay video looks pretty amazing. A bit envious, I must admit.

Wonder if they'll be back to analyze controller response with those same settings and 30fps lock using the in-game option. Or if they'll test it on lower-end hardware.

Bit desperate to find validation in my problems from professional analysis. Between that video and some users here with very awesome high-end specs, I feel like things are pretty cozy and fun at the top right now, but I'm just here about to finish my shift at work, desperately waiting to go home and play my Xbox One download when I'm sitting at this brand new gaming laptop I just got that probably has raw computation power that I guess has to be at least 3X better than Xbox One and can't, at any level of settings, at least perform exactly the same as that version.

Bit frustrating. :/

Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One is one of the laggiest games at 30fps. Display is a PC monitor at 10ms just to note.
Imbc.jpg

Would be interesting to see tests of Horizon 3 on XBO and PC to back up your claims of Xbox having less lag. Would be a good improvement over the second game on XBO if true. Most 30fps game have around 50ms less lag than Horizon 2

Also just realized you're talking about a laptop, maybe something to do with that. Hell would have to freeze over before I'd use a laptop over a desktop PC.

IMACOMPUTA

Im playing fully maxed out at 1440p with 30fps limit on. I turned on framerate smoothing and it made the game feel a lot better.

I'll be playing like this until i can lock 60fps.

980ti
i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz

Glomby

Forza Horizon 2 on Xbox One is one of the laggiest games at 30fps. Display is a PC monitor at 10ms just to note.
Imbc.jpg

Would be interesting to see tests of Horizon 3 on XBO and PC to back up your claims of Xbox having less lag. Would be a good improvement over the second game on XBO if true. Most 30fps game have around 50ms less lag than Horizon 2

That can't be right. I didn't mind horizon 2 at all and I play games like rocket league on a 165 Hz Rog Swift all the time. I also instantly notice input lag when friends forget to use gaming modes on there TVs etc. Input lag is a the worst for me.

150ms is absolutely unplayable for me. I know that as a fact. This test must be faulty or PG made something incredible with Horizon 2 to not let me feel it, which I highly doubt.

Vuze

This is incredible. Was tinkering around within the FH3 install and deleted one of the application icons to see whether or not it would affect both installations (it did; apparently they sync up. Disk usage also decreases on both. So it's definitely a duplicate install).

Now Windows won't let me restore the file because I (as the system administrator) do not have the required privilege to do so. Loss of the image is not a big deal but holy shit, fuck UWA and its patronizing nature.

That can't be right. I didn't mind horizon 2 at all and I play games like rocket league on a 165 Hz Rog Swift all the time. I also instantly notice input lag when friends forget to use gaming modes on there TVs etc. Input lag is a the worst for me.

150ms is absolutely unplayable for me. I know that as a fact. This test must be faulty or PG made something incredible with Horizon 2 to not let me feel it, which I highly doubt.

http://www.displaylag.com/

No dude. This is how games are, you're misunderstanding. What you're talking about is noticing 100ms lag on laggy HDTVs. That is on top of the game lag.

SFIV is well known to be 85ms on Xbox and over a 100ms on PS3 hence why they used the Xbox version.

And I've heard it all before how "I'm super sensitive to input lag" Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox One had serious lag issues yet we had people posting here and adding videos claiming how sensitive they were and ROTTR doesn't have lag yet the videos they posted had serious lag so excuse me, I won't be taking peoples anecdotal feelings into account.

eeMVzXq.gif

Here's the game people claim had no lag and they're super sensitive to it.

Porcupine

I don't know, it looks to me like G-Sync isn't working in this game. I'm getting slowdowns when it drops just a few frames. That shouldn't be the case with G-Sync. Together with the stuttering it's unplayable at the moment for me.
Is anyone experiencing the same issue with G-Sync?

Glomby

Well I am sensitive to it. I can't stand Steamlink when I stream from my PC to my TV over gigabit LAN and steamlink shows like 10ms or something (maybe that is just the video). So wathever it is they do its working.

Everything I do is try to get my frame rates as high as possible and input lag as low as possible all the time. I'm gonna test this later today myself. I doubt Horizon 3 on Xbox has more input lag than it has on PC. I'm also gonna measure it, not need to just feel it out.

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks awesome.

Great fun and runs spectacularly (although it's not actually that advanced graphically, still looks good because of the art style and many post effects). Hard as balls at first though, good luck getting gold on the first races.

Just goes to show some people are less sensitive to microstutter. I'm actually envious of you for not being bothered by it.

Glomby

I don't know, it looks to me like G-Sync isn't working in this game. I'm getting slowdowns when it drops just a few frames. That shouldn't be the case with G-Sync. Together with the stuttering it's unplayable at the moment for me.
Is anyone experiencing the same issue with G-Sync?

I use G-sync and I think the problem is, that the game is slowing down when frame rates drop so g-sync doesn't get triggered. Just look at DF's 4K 60fps video. The frame rates are basically also at 60fps and yet it seems to stutter.

Turn10 also confirmed that something is going on with the frame rates so I'd say g-sync works but it can't do anything because the game messes something up internally.

Nmbc.jpg

This on PC with vsync off, lowest you can get SFIV. Display is a PC mon with 10ms on top so subtract 10ms./ On 360 is around 85ms and PS3 is over a 100.

Adding vsync on PC SFIV adds another 50ms of lag.

Well I am sensitive to it. I can't stand Steamlink when I stream from my PC to my TV over gigabit LAN and steamlink shows like 10ms or something (maybe that is just the video). So wathever it is they do its working.

A drugged up sloth could probably tell stream lag as well. Sorry but using streams to claim you're sensitive is laughable.

robatw

I just tried the Xbox One Version because i don't want to deal with framedrops in the city on my pc. But jesus man, it is unplayable due to the input lag there.

It is also unplayable when i limit the fps to 30 on my pc.

what is going on? i cannot remember it being so bad in FH2

Porcupine

I use G-sync and I think the problem is, that the game is slowing down when frame rates drop so g-sync doesn't get triggered. Just look at DF's 4K 60fps video. The frame rates are basically also at 60fps and yet it seems to stutter.

Turn10 also confirmed that something is going on with the frame rates so I'd say g-sync works but it can't do anything because the game messes something up internally.

This describes my experience perfectly. Like the engine is forcing the game to slow down and G-Sync can't do anything.

leng jai

Man I really hope they fix this fiasco with the Windows Store soon. I've got a data cap so there's no way I'm downloading 50GB on PC without knowing whether it will even work. With all the restart nonsense it could easily pile up to 100GB+ which is simply absurd.

Zojirushi

Man, watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and performance on a freaking 1080 on medium preset is a mess. What the fuck is happening here?

Qassim

Has anyone had any luck with getting their VIP membership and other Ultimate edition benefits to actually..work yet?

It says they're 'owned' on the store, until I click through to them and it asks me to buy them.

Glomby

Has anyone had any luck with getting their VIP membership and other Ultimate edition benefits to actually..work yet?

It says they're 'owned' on the store, until I click through to them and it asks me to buy them.

Nope. I have none of the ultimate stuff on PC but I got everything on the Xbox. I can even put cars out of the ultimate edition in my garage when I'm on the Xbox and they show up on PC, but when I try to use them it tells me to buy the DLC.

I'm gonna try to get into a DLC car on the Xbox next, close the game and load it on PC and then probably watch the world explode or something.

LostDonkey

Nope. I have none of the ultimate stuff on PC but I got everything on the Xbox. I can even put cars out of the ultimate edition in my garage when I'm on the Xbox and they show up on PC, but when I try to use them it tells me to buy the DLC.

I'm gonna try to get into a DLC car on the Xbox next, close the game and load it on PC and then probably watch the world explode or something.

This is fucking ridiculous. I hope we get compensated in some way for this. It's inexcusable for content we paid for not to be available on the PC when it is on the Xbox.

Yeah not having access to the content we paid a premium for is not acceptable. I mean obviously it's a bug that they will be working on but that's not our problem.

I will take a free Gears 4 code for my inconvenience please MS. Thanks!

Fishook

Had a blast last night running fine on my rig i7600k 32gb ram 1080, Ultra on 1440k. Slight dips on occasion but I switch Fps counter off as I find playing games with in on very off putting.

Will have another blast tomorrow then it's on rotation with other games as I it keeps these sort of games fresh for me, hopefully a patch is in the works. Great game so far just at bit overwhelming for a first time Horizon player with everything.

Fishook

Yeah not having access to the content we paid a premium for is not acceptable. I mean obviously it's a bug that they will be working on but that's not our problem.

I will take a free Gears 4 code for my inconvenience please MS. Thanks![/QUOTE

That will do nicely, I am not that arsed about Vip stuff, only got Ultimate edition for early acces and Hopefully this game will last me ages on single player alone.

Qassim

Decided to finally give it a go on the XBO, surprised at the immediate visual difference (distance detail in particular stood out) - and I have decided that even given the performance issues and hitching in certain places here and there (I seem to have it better than most others reporting in this thread, and better than many of the videos I've seen) - it's still quite comfortably better than playing it at 30fps.

Hopefully they managed to reduce the bottlenecks in the engine for playing at 60fps or more on the PC version, cause then this should be an excellent game.

deoee

I will take a free Gears 4 code for my inconvenience please MS. Thanks!

I'd be fine with a free GoW4 code too.

It's shit we can not use the stuff we paid for.

Between the performance issues and the missing content, I hope they compensate ultimate edition buyers.

I just bought standard so I'm waiting for Tuesday. Maybe they will have a patch next week. Sucks that ultimate buyers are basically the performance testers. Again a reason to compensate somehow.

Qassim

Just got some VIP cars on the XBO version, got in one of them and started up on the PC - it's still there. A (shit) work around if you want a particular car and also have an XBO.

Just bought the game, didn't know that the ultimate edition dlc isn't working... Major bummer. Hopefully they fix it soon and give people who paid for the ultimate edition something to make up for the issues.

NIN90

So are there any guides yet? Comparisons for each setting and a rough estimation on frame rate impact and such? Like the ones Nvidia does for Gameworks games.

Poor cpu optimization? That's surprising considering the game should be heavily optimized for multithreading to run on the 8 core jaguar.

Top Bottom