• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 3 Surpassed 9 million players.

Leonidas

Searched, didn't see a thread on it. Pretty big milestone.

https://www.windowscentral.com/forza-horizon-3-crosses-9-million-players-xbox-one-and-pc

"That's astonishing. That was beyond wildest dreams territory for this team."
If you're looking for a thrilling open-world racing game, be sure to give Forza Horizon 3 a go... it's one of the best games you can buy on the Xbox One. Playground Games outdid itself...and Microsoft has something truly spectacular here.

Horizon 3 was great, but it's going to be really interesting to see how Forza Horizon 4 does since it will be the first Forza game to make it into Game Pass.

Skyn3t

Banned
Well deserved, as it's the king of arcade racers, like the best one in the history of gaming. That is, till the fourth one will come out. I'm pretty sure that the new installment will blow everyone's mind, at least the vast majority of racing fans.

Tomeru

Shieeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Mighty impressive. And I don't even like that game (I want ridge racer back).

phil_t98

#SonyToo
there is a thread on here about GT sport passing 5 million players, now Horizon 3 has 9 million players. just goes to show that instal base of 70+ million aint helping all games to reach mega numbers

Fox Mulder

there is a thread on here about GT sport passing 5 million players, now Horizon 3 has 9 million players. just goes to show that instal base of 70+ million aint helping all games to reach mega numbers

FH3 came out in september 2016. Gran Turismo Sports passing 5 million since October is good and this is good for FH3.

FH3 is a fucking great game and puts Playground Games and the Horizon series as the kings of Forza franchise.

I don't know how FM7 is doing, but they never even released a single expansion for it. I played the franchise for over 10 years and that says everything to me really.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
FH3 came out in september 2016. Gran Turismo Sports passing 5 million since October is good and this is good for FH3.

FH3 is a fucking great game and puts Playground Games and the Horizon series as the kings of Forza franchise.

I don't know how FM7 is doing, but they never even released a single expansion for it. I played the franchise for over 10 years and that says everything to me really.

I agree but with the bigger install base of the PS4 am surprised its not a lot higher aint you? thats what am saying, I aint saying its a bad game as it aint

thelastword

Banned
Of late, I've realized you do alot of counter threads, the information on Horizon has been out for more than a minute FYI. Still, though 9 million players is fine, it's over two platforms and said title has been out for an eternity.....

Fox Mulder

I agree but with the bigger install base of the PS4 am surprised its not a lot higher aint you? thats what am saying, I aint saying its a bad game as it aint

These games always have legs. There's no point in comparing FH3 to GTS, maybe if we had the FM7 numbers since it came out around GTS.

Redshirt

Banned
It is strange that FM7 never got an expansion, but I think it may have something with the rumored decision to push FM8 to 2020.

At any rate, super looking forward to FH4. Wonder if we'll have enough interest for a ForzaGAF club.

I think zorbsie has moved on, and he was the one who used to coordinate all of that.

Fox Mulder

I absolutely hope the push FM8 back as a launch title for the next console. There doesnt need to be a fourth installment this generation.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
These games always have legs. There's no point in comparing FH3 to GTS, maybe if we had the FM7 numbers since it came out around GTS.

but the problem with that on here is people would then say its only because its on PC to, just how this forum is tbh. As said GT Sport is awesome and I aint dissing the game its just with people on here always going on about how many PS4 have sold console wise I thought it would be much bigger as it is usually a huge seller. The post also says 5million players not copy sold, same as with Horizon 3 its players not cops sold

Three

GT Sport released in October 2017 on PS4
Forza Horizon 3 released in September 2016 on Xbox one and PC.
What are you talking about?

Last edited:
Of late, I've realized you do alot of counter threads, the information on Horizon has been out for more than a minute FYI. Still, though 9 million players is fine, it's over two platforms and said title has been out for an eternity.....
5 million on GT is "very impressive" but 9 million on xbox is just "fine"? You just can't help yourself, can you? Lol... and "counter thread"? My eyes rolled out of my skull.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
GT Sport released in October 2017 on PS4
Forza Horizon 3 released in September 2016 on Xbox one and PC.
What are you talking about?

Again I will repeat myself, the install base of the PS4 is 70 million plus, GTSport which is a great game has had 5 million users, not copies sold but users. I thought it would be a lot higher considering there are so many PS4 sold

sigrad

5 million on GT is "very impressive" but 9 million on xbox is just "fine"? You just can't help yourself, can you? Lol... and "counter thread"? My eyes rolled out of my skull.
Thelastword is by far the biggest Sony lover/Xbox hater on this site. EVERY thread he enters he shit talks the Xbox. I love it. He's fucking hilarious.

BTW you missed where he claims GTS is the most successful racer this gen in another thread.

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I expected nothing less from the best racing franchise. Really nice to see that despite being the lesser popular console the franchise still tends to sell better because of the quality of the game.

Last edited:

Fox Mulder

I don't get the console warring. If you love racing, both Gran Turismo and Forza are fun and do different things.

Forza Horizon 3 was great and I got to level 1000 or whatever.

octiny

Banned

Either way, money goes into MS's pocket. ;)

Even more Impressive they're able to release a new Forza every year while still providing substantial improvements all-around vs every 3-4 years.

Congrats MS! Best racing franchise by far.

Kagey K

Banned
I’m really excited to see what Horizon 4 can do. The Horizon series is among my favourite racing franchises of all time, and they are bringing some exciting stuff with this iteration of it.

With the upward momentum Playground have been having since the first Horizon, combined with it being Day 1 on Gamepass, it could pull some crazy numbers I think.

Three

Again I will repeat myself, the install base of the PS4 is 70 million plus, GTSport which is a great game has had 5 million users, not copies sold but users. I thought it would be a lot higher considering there are so many PS4 sold

The install base of PC + xbox is also high. It's also 9 million users since 2016. You drew a comparison to another game without considering this fact. Forza motorsport and GT are actually more evergreen than horizon is. 2 years from now the users will greatly surpass 9million users and the reason we may not see FM8 until 2020 is because they have lootbox revenue and are less at risk of a big decrease in sales.

Three

I expected nothing less from the best racing franchise. Really nice to see that despite being the lesser popular console the franchise still tends to sell better because of the quality of the game.
Forza Horizon is a great game but it does not sell better than Forza motorsport and definitely not more than GT. With FH4 that may change.

but the problem with that on here is people would then say its only because its on PC to, just how this forum is tbh.

Yeah, I personally have never understood the "it's also on PC so it doesn't count" thing that gets said all the time. Does the fact that it is on PC mean it isn't a game? Do we only care about console games? Does MS not make money on PC games somehow? Does a sale on PC not count as a sale? Is a player on PC not really a player that should be counted? WTF

I personally play everywhere, consoles and PC, so I just can't get this weird fanboy war logic that gets repeated over and over and over...

Last edited:

Redshirt

Banned
The install base of PC + xbox is also high. It's also 9 million users since 2016. You drew a comparison to another game without considering this fact. Forza motorsport and GT are actually more evergreen than horizon is. 2 years from now the users will greatly surpass 9million users and the reason we may not see FM8 until 2020 is because they have lootbox revenue and are less at risk of a big decrease in sales.

Did T10 ever add microtransactions?

I know T10 initially said it would, but the prize crates were still sold for in-game credits only when I finished the sp content.

Three

Havent it outsold Gran Turismo tho?

No, I don't think it has. In 6 months horizon 3 sales were 2.5 million across xbox and PC, in 8 months GT sport sales were 3.3 million. Horizon sales also drop off much faster than GT. GT and Forza Motorsport tend to be evergreen titles.

Last edited:

Three

Did T10 ever add microtransactions?

I know T10 initially said it would, but the prize crates were still sold for in-game credits only when I finished the sp content.

I'm not sure, I don't think they were actually after just trying quickly. I never pay for microtransactions so never buy forza tokens on the store or anything. They may have not added them after the backlash.

Edit: sorry, did not mean to double post.

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Amazing game. Really wish it was on Steam as well, so more people could experience it. The audio is also superb in it's detail and quality.

AtlAntA

I bought fh3 on pc. I don't want any more consoles under my TV. Bringing these games to the pc is a master move of Microsoft.

No, I don't think it has. In 6 months horizon 3 sales were 2.5 million across xbox and PC, in 8 months GT sport sales were 3.3 million. Horizon sales also drop off much faster than GT. GT and Forza Motorsport tend to be evergreen titles.
Forza Horizon 3 has outsold GT6 and GTS (so far).
Forza Horizon 3 also sold more in 2017 than 2016 in the UK. Probably other regions, too.
The game had huge legs.
With 9 million players i expect the sales to be somewhere around 7 million. Give or take 500k.
The 2.5 million copies sold milestone was also just a little over 4 months and not 6. End of September to early February.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA

GT has five million players. FH3 has nine million players. How can you not think that Forza has sold better? Are you resistant to common sense?

Of course the sales for Forza has declined. The game is older and the sequel is arriving this October, so people who haven't bought the game yet would rather wait.

Last edited:

Three

Forza Horizon 3 also sold more in 2017 than 2016 in the UK. Probably other regions, too.
The game had huge legs.
With 9 million players i expect the sales to be somewhere around 7 million. Give or take 500k.
The 2.5 million copies sold milestone was also just a little over 4 months and not 6. End of September to early February.

That's the point of 'so far' but I'm talking about sales in a given period. Also if you are comparing 4 months (3 if october) compared to 12 months of sales when talking about 2016 vs 2017 yes possibly (id like to see some numbers if you have them) that could be very likely but a per month basis FH tends to sell less than GT and Forza Motorsport which are usually more evergreen.

GT has five million players. FH3 has nine million players. How can you not think that Forza has sold better? Are you resistant to common sense?

Of course the sales for Forza has declined. The game is older and the sequel is arriving this October, so people who haven't bought the game yet would rather wait.
Are you resistant to common sense? Because these are users for a 2016 game that includes second hand sales too. These aren't active players this is any user in the lifetime of the products. Sales and users are different as you point out in the GT thread. My point if you missed it is GT sport sells more launch aligned in case you didn't get it still.

Last edited:

Calibos

pot-calling-the-kettle-black-gif-7.gif

Congrats to Playground and MS...game is completely deserving of a large playerbase.

Apex

With 9 million players i expect the sales to be somewhere around 7 million.
Haha no way. If that was the case MS would be publiciting the sales like mad, there would be official press realeases to make know to eveyone the success of FH3 with real sales, would be a key point in their conferences, etc. Instead they always talk about the success of the Forza games in review scores terms and number of players.

Is known if with the 9M of players they are counting too the demo players? knowing the stunts that MS like to do with their numbers I would not be surprised.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The game had huge legs.

The figure probably includes players who have played the demo.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

coarse I consider it was on pc and if you look at my posts I even say about pc. the fact that the game is on 9 million is a great achievement, as I said I thought that GT sport would of been higher than 5million was a compliment that PS4 has sold so well, but you have to give credit to Microsoft as well because 9 million players is good to

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Haha no way. If that was the case MS would be publiciting the sales like mad, there would be official press realeases to make know to eveyone the success of FH3 with real sales, would be a key point in their conferences, etc. Instead they always talk about the success of the Forza games in review scores terms and number of players.

Is known if with the 9M of players they are counting too the demo players? knowing the stunts that MS like to do with their numbers I would not be surprised.

Yeah, if the game actually sold more than 5 million copies, MS would've announced it by now.

I don't like it when any company releases a statement talking about how many players have played the game because it can often be misleading, mostly to casual gamers. We already know GT Sport and Horizon 3 sold more than 3 million copies, but we don't know how many players bought their game used, made played under another profile, game pass (for Xbox), free trailer users or demo players (If included).

hiphopcr

I thought there was no where else to go after FH3, but FH4 looks like it'll raise the bar even higher, spectacular achievement.

I myself am not a big racing game fan these days. I was more of a fan of the style of driving/racing in GTA San Andreas or Saints Row 3.

However, after seeing what FH3 was and giving it a shot, it's amazing. It really is a GTA-like driving experience for the non-racing game fan but obviously takes the car aspect to a million. At least that's how I'd describe it.

I play it on my Xbox 1 X in 4k with HDR and it's absolutely awesome. The car customization is crazy and the amount of custom skins you can get for all the cars that people have already made online is sweet. Pretty much anything you can think of is probably already there, and extremely well done to boot. Some of the skins on the GMC Van are great, like the A-Team one for example.

FH4 is already a day one buy, and FH5 for that matter.

Fox Mulder

I thought there was no where else to go after FH3, but FH4 looks like it'll raise the bar even higher, spectacular achievement.

I loved FH3, got to the star rank, but it was actually quite shallow and the solo mode was cut off from online. I love FH4 moving to a connected online world now instead of AI drivatars too. It ruled back in 2006 with Test Drive Unlimited. The added depth with more stuff to do is welcome as well.

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I feel like maybe they gave you too much to do to fast, it always felt like you were driving around in a bag of Skittles, it gets to the point markers can be overwhelming. FH3 did just that.

That must also include people who have tried the demo. Also multi gamer tags playing the same bought copy.

Still, I would imagine the game has sold 6 million plus copies. Which are great figures for an exclusive racer. FH4 should be even bigger and it will be a great IP to continue into the next generation.

It’s also good news for Fable because Playground have already built a big following. Much of which should transfer over to a completely different genre of game.

Top Bottom