• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Horizon 5 Next Gen performance targets revealed. RT only utilized in Forzavista

sinnergy

+1. I said this in the reveal thread but what are you even going to use RT reflections on in an open world game set in the forests, mountains and sahara? Same reason why I am ok with Horizon Forbidden West leaving RT reflections out in favor of enhanced graphics. Leave RT reflections to city racers like NFS underground and urban open worlds like Spiderman.

We finally have games with photorealistic vistas and people are worried about RT reflections.

51244941553_e234bcb5c0_o.png

m2V3cLc.jpg
Before Some games had RT, people said , RT was a gimmick 🤣

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Raytracing was seen as a pointless effect some time ago, but I think Spiderman...but more importantly Ratchet has shown the impact that it can have in a positive way to the overall image. Now we all want it everywhere.

I would love raytracing in this game, if they can pull it off but it is a huge open world online game with tons of detail and multiple seemless online players blazing around. if it's too much, its too much. SSR will do a pretty great job.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

You think you have a gotcha here, but you don't. I like good raytracing. I don't like bad raytracing. Looks like I'm quite consistant in my views :messenger_beaming: FH5 raytracing would likely be bad btw. Low res reflections on cars isn't exactly the pinnacle of raytracing.

And yes, Ratchet looks great. It would look even better with RTGI.
Edit: never mind, miss read post.

Last edited:
Screenshot-20210615-130304-Gallery.jpg

There you go. Screenshot for you. You think low res RT reflections would look worse than the cubemaps, you're fooling yourself.

Come off it with the it will cost something else. Sure it will on console but where is the 'we need more power' talk you give ratchet? Where is the 'it will benefit greatly'. Not only that but you try to pass RT of as somehow ending up looking worse and low res. You think this can't be played on hardware more powerful than an xbox either. If the Xbox can play this at 4k30fps no RT why not the option with RT on PC? You've got extra power there so what's the excuse?

The same people who play on the default 4k 30fps mode so I'd imagine actually the majority of people who won't change it
Next time you should pick 240p video quality and zoom in even further to prove your point :messenger_beaming: Reflections look fine to me, low res RT reflections wouldn't add much while eating up a lot of ressources.

elliot5

Now that's amazing if it's native, I guess it removes some of the effects but 4k60fps is incredible, what other games run native 4k60fps this gen?
Gears 5 Hivebusters is dynamic, but 4K most of the time that it may as well be native. It's imperceptible to the eye. I would also guess Psychonauts 2 will be 4K60 on XSX. Unclear

SenaxxNL

I doubt they use dynamic res. I don't think Forza's ever done that and I would guess dynamic res in a high speed game would not be ideal.. prob cutbacks to shadow quality, polygon count, godrays, whatever.
PC version from Forza Horizon 4 also has "dynamic optimization" mode with target FPS. So probably Forza 5 uses something similar to get the achieved 4k60fps

Kangx

I doubt they use dynamic res. I don't think Forza's ever done that and I would guess dynamic res in a high speed game would not be ideal.. prob cutbacks to shadow quality, polygon count, godrays, whatever.
We fall from the same bullshit again. Repeat after me. It's dynamic 4k. Does it make sense to dial back detail and raise resolution when the main mode is 4k 30fps. I can't believe this after all the 4k 60 fps claim from developers when it turn out all of them are dynamics. I guess technically it's still 4k, but I'm guessing it's running mostly at 1440p with the level of detail they are trying to match the 4k 30 fps. Hell, the 4k 30fps might even be dynamic because they want to crank more details.

elliot5

We fall from the same bullshit again. Repeat after me. It's dynamic 4k. Does it make sense to dial back detail and raise resolution when the main mode is 4k 30fps. I can't believe this after all the 4k 60 fps claim from developers when it turn out all of them are dynamics. I guess technically it's still 4k, but I'm guessing it's running mostly at 1440p with the level of detail they are trying to match the 4k 30 fps. Hell, the 4k 30fps might even be dynamic because they want to crank more details.

Horizon 4 ran at NATIVE 4K. Not Dynamic. Forza doesn't use dynamic resolution unless they suddenly made it work with this entry to the franchise.

Fredrik

RT or no RT, there's still no competition with regards to how it looks.

Yup I’m blown away tbh, I just want to know if this is the PC version Xbox version, if this is Xbox in performance mode then I can’t even imagine how it’ll look on PC!

elliot5

Yup I’m blown away tbh, I just want to know if this is the PC version Xbox version, if this is Xbox in performance mode then I can’t even imagine how it’ll look on PC!
They didn't mention it running on XSX, so I would say it's on PC unless stated otherwise for any title shown by Microsoft.

Kangx

Horizon 4 ran at NATIVE 4K. Not Dynamic. Forza doesn't use dynamic resolution unless they suddenly made it work with this entry to the franchise.
Someone post above me mention they use dynamic 4k for pc. That beside the point, we don't know when it come out, but I'm certain they will lower resolution and keep image detail. Man I can't believe you are even contending.

DaGwaphics

Looking at the gameplay trailer again, someone is putting the top down on that orange car.

Is that something you could already do or is that new?

elliot5

Someone post above me mention they use dynamic 4k for pc. That beside the point, we don't know when it come out, but I'm certain they will lower resolution and keep image detail. Man I can't believe you are even contending.
I'm not contending, but they have never used dynamic res on console. I wouldn't be surprised if they do use it, but past games haven't. PC has an option of dynamic resolution.

CeeJay

They didn't mention it running on XSX, so I would say it's on PC unless stated otherwise for any title shown by Microsoft.
For sure, everything will be PC. That said though, i don't expect XSX to be noticeably worse in any way to what was shown. I am sure pixel counters and armchair critics will find the differences and make them out to be massive but most normal people wont be able to tell the difference.

Connxtion

WD legion was one ugly ass game lol.
It looks clean, but RT on it was super low res and dithered to hell. (or to that effect) Now that there is a 60 FPS mode that’s how I play, feels so much better.

I do miss the reflections on the cars but 30 FPS after the update took a hit, don’t know what they done but it feels horrible now.

Fredrik

Isn’t that kinda sneaky? They only talked about what they could achieve with the power of Xbox Series X yadayadayada. Then - Here’s gameplay! *shows the PC version*
🤔

Last edited:

NXGamer

Hi, was wondering if you're doing any tech videos on Horizon 5 and Halo Infinite? Did either impress you at all?
Yeah Horizon impressed me greatly and I will be looking into a few things from the show. Cannot wait to see what Playground do with Fable and this engine/their talent. For me they are one of the big standout teams in the massoove Xbox Studios portfolio.

elliot5

Isn’t that kinda sneaky? They only talked about what they could achieve with the power of Xbox Series X yadayadayada. Then - Here’s gameplay! *shows the PC version*
🤔
I mean, like I said, they didn't specify one way or another so it's safer to assume PC. You'll still be getting a similar image and performance on XSX in the end regardless.

Connxtion

Screenshot-20210615-130304-Gallery.jpg

There you go. Screenshot for you. You think low res RT reflections would look worse than the cubemaps, you're fooling yourself.

Come off it with the it will cost something else. Sure it will on console but where is the 'we need more power' talk you give ratchet? Where is the 'it will benefit greatly'. Not only that but you try to pass RT of as somehow ending up looking worse and low res. You think this can't be played on hardware more powerful than an xbox either. If the Xbox can play this at 4k30fps no RT why not the option with RT on PC? You've got extra power there so what's the excuse?

The same people who play on the default 4k 30fps mode so I'd imagine actually the majority of people who won't change it
Take a look at Watch Dogs Legions RT and yeah cub maps look cleaner. (60 FPS mode) The dithering or noise on the RT reflections in that game is horrid. (Does it add to the game of course, is it worth the feel and how they look nah. It’s even worse feeling in the latest version)

Am only wanting RT in photo mode as that’s where I will be expecting it as that’s where you show off the graphics to the max and can get up close to the cars. (Even inside if you use rewind 😂) You can do the same in vista mode but that’s not what I want, as you’re limited to specific location/s.

Fredrik

I mean, like I said, they didn't specify one way or another so it's safer to assume PC. You'll still be getting a similar image and performance on XSX in the end regardless.
How would you know this? If they’re going with 30fps standard and 60fps on performance on XSX then I expect 60+ fps on PC with better graphics and maybe raytracing.

elliot5

How would you know this? If they’re going with 30fps standard and 60fps on performance on XSX then I expect 60+ fps on PC with better graphics and maybe raytracing.
Well yeah PC will always run better. But go look at FH4 gameplay demo back in 2018. The end result looked pretty damn similar in the end, even if it ran at 4K30 on X1X. I would expect the same similar quality on XSX from what was shown. Of course, I don't know anything, but Playground has always delivered a similar experience to what was shown.

Fredrik

Well yeah PC will always run better. But go look at FH4 gameplay demo back in 2018. The end result looked pretty damn similar in the end, even if it ran at 4K30 on X1X. I would expect the same similar quality on XSX from what was shown. Of course, I don't know anything, but Playground has always delivered a similar experience to what was shown.
I just think ”similar” leave too much room for disappointment when we don’t know if the current video clips show it maxed out on a 3090 or performance mode on XSX. They need to sort this out imo. All cards on the table, the game is out in a few months, people need to know what they’ll get.

RT or no RT, there's still no competition with regards to how it looks.

This is so clearly the first "This is Next Gen" moment for me, this gen.

This is like those moments in gaming history when really impressive CG transitions impressively into gameplay (Lost Odyssey, etc)..only this time, it's simply gameplay (gameplay..not an in engine cutscene) the entire time.

No matter how many times you view it, it just doesn't stop being a convincing image. 👏

DaGwaphics

This is so clearly the first "This is Next Gen" moment for me, this gen.

This is like those moments in gaming history when really impressive CG transitions impressively into gameplay (Lost Odyssey, etc)..only this time, it's simply gameplay (gameplay..not an in engine cutscene) the entire time.

No matter how many times you view it, it just doesn't stop being a convincing image. 👏

The entire gameplay trailer is beautiful to me from start to finish, unbelievable we've come this far since the PS1 days and Riddddddddddddgggggggggggeeeee Raaaaaacer.

Top Bottom