• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 6 Apex for Windows 10 - Slimmed down/free (Seattle Times Leak)

Finally Microsoft has a lot of opportunity's on PC like in the past, I'm curious to see how the game runs on my PC

Also I have a strong feeling that we will see Age of Empires IV in this year at the E3

RexNovis

Banned
Oh God the twitter meltdowns are gonna be legendary! But lets all be honest we knew this was coming. Next step will be Halo then Gears 4 available Day 1 on Win10.

willbsn13

I hope this is more of a demo-y type situation (Like what GT5 Prologue was to the PS3) than a F2P mobile/microtransaction fest, but I doubt T10 would go down that route again after the FM5 backlash.

Oh God the twitter meltdowns are gonna be legendary! But lets all be honest we knew this was coming. Next step will be Halo then Gears 4 available Day 1 on Win10.

Knew what was coming? F2p garbage? The only meltdowns we'll see is people questioning ms saying they were committed on pc and then releasing empty "slimmed down" versions of their games. Well honestly it won't even be a big deal since most never expected anything good from ms after gfwl. I'm now starting to wish they just stayed contained on their Xbox platform.

wapplew

There is no melt down only celebration!
They just upgrade from a second place platform fans to leading platform fans.

Knew what was coming? F2p garbage? The only meltdowns we'll see is people questioning ms saying they were committed on pc and then releasing empty "slimmed down" versions of their games. Well honestly it won't even be a big deal since most never expected anything good from ms after gfwl. I'm now starting to wish they just stayed contained on their Xbox platform.
I have no problem with them not putting every single game of theirs on PC if that was part of their strategy, but why a half-assed version instead of the real thing for one they do choose to bring over? If one of the benefits of bringing the games over is crossbuy, this would be one hell of a bad attempt.

Edit: Hopefully it's just presented as free entry and you can purchase the rest / have it already if you purchased the Xbox version

SparkTR

Free doesn't mean F2P with microtransactions. I expect this to be like a Killer Instinct thing, with an option to buy into the more content complete game for $60.

Free doesn't mean F2P with microtransactions. I expect this to be like a Killer Instinct thing, with an option to buy into the more content complete game for $60.

If that happens you won't hear a peep from me. But in all honesty this seems like ms just trying to cash in on how certain f2p games make money and never planning on an actual full release. The article basically states they added apex to the name. Implying it's a different f2p model and a more limited game by mentioning "slimmed down." Killer instinct has its original name and it was never implied it would be different.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Meh.
Why not release the full game?

Because you don't want to buy from the Windows 10 store. So they are giving you a demo for free so you buy from the Xbox store.

Killer Instinct is the very definition of F2P with microtransactions. You can play the game - or you can buy additional characters. F2P is not Pay per Play.

RexNovis

Banned

There is no melt down only celebration!
They just upgrade from a second place platform fans to leading platform fans.

I was mostly just remembering that one dude that attacked Phil Spencer on twitter and had a total meltdown about Quantum Break coming to PC. Can't remember his name. I'm sure there will be more like him.

wapplew

I was mostly just remembering that one dude that attacked Phil Spencer on twitter and had a total meltdown about Quantum Break coming to PC. Can't remember his name. I'm sure there will be more like him.

Well, that guy already embrace windows eco system future, this is good news for everyone!

SparkTR

If that happens you won't hear a peep from me. But in all honesty this seems like ms just trying to cash in on how certain f2p games make money and never planning on an actual full release. The article basically states they added apex to the name. Implying it's a different f2p model and a more limited game by mentioning "slimmed down." Killer instinct has its original name and it was never implied it would be different.

That doesn't exclude a KI-type of thing ($60 gets all etc). It's a different business model than retail so it can warrant a name change just the same. There's no differentiation from KI because it's the same business model across both platforms for that game. Hopefully we'll know soon from an article from an actual gaming site, reports from places where gaming is an afterthought (like this news website) tend to be vague in detail because their readers literally do not give a shit about the minutiae.

jaypah

Sure, if you go out searching for lunatics you will always find them.

Anyway, hopefully they will let you buy packs that amount to the full game and hopefully not cost more than the full game total. Either way I'm curious to try this out.

Well, that guy already embrace windows eco system future, this is good news for everyone!

I noticed you doing this in the last thread about Xbox games coming to PC. You must really get a kick out of that guy lol

TBiddy

Will wait to see how they handle peripheral support before I say anything.

This is very important, yes. I fully expect, though, that Microsoft will "double down" on this, now that it seems they have actually doubled down on PC gaming.

GHG

This is very important, yes. I fully expect, though, that Microsoft will "double down" on this, now that it seems they have actually doubled down on PC gaming.

Heh... Dont bet on it.

The issues are deep rooted in the way the store is designed.

Hope my thrustmaster is supported! great work MS. THey are seriously getting there. slowly but surely. I am sure there will be some teething problems that people will express their distaste for but overall it is all a step in the right direction

OmegaDL50

Would be nice to have the fully featured game.

Good stuff though I wonder how many will be understandably disappointed that this isn't a full version/game.

In my opinion it would be a wasted opportunity if the option to make it a full featured version as a separate purchase or upgrade path wasn't possible.

I say this from the perspective in that there is currently no Racing game on PC that fills the void that has similarities and ties to the Forza and Gran Turismo series. I mean this in terms of track and car variety and diversity.

Most PC racing semi-sims such as Assetto Corsa for example have a fraction of the car and track variety that both GT and Forza have. And full on Racing Sims like Project CARS or even the Simbin / GTR titles or Rfactor have a very different approach than Gran Turismo or Forza.

In short, Forza 6 releasing on PC with the car and track diversity as the console version would be technically the very first of its kind on PC. As there isn't currently any racing game on PC that emulates the mold that the Gran Turismo and Forza Motorsport titles fit into.

Turning the first potential game to fulfil that gap into a cut down F2P version seems like not taking full advantage of that chance to fill in the lacking "Gran Turismo / Forza" style racer in the PC market.

TBiddy

Heh... Dont bet on it.

The issues are deep rooted in the way the store is designed.

If they keep up the current pace, it might be ready in 5-8 years. Patience, my friend, patience! Perhaps you get to play Forza 10 on your Windows 12 PC with full peripheral support!

Lazaro

I don't how I should look at this.

It sounds as if they're going to use First-Party Xbox IP's as watered-down F2P Trojan horses on Windows to get Windows players onto Xbox consoles.

Forza Apex sounds horrible so far but I'll give it try.

krang

I think the F2P model where you get a chunk of game for free but can pay a lump sum to effectively upgrade to the full release, with a load of options incremental steps in the middle, is a good one.

KI works well I think. Forza would also be conducive to that model as not all content is essential. So you get Apex for free, you can pay $60 or whatever to get all the content of a full Forza 6 release, or you can just pick and choose the extra cars and tracks (or packs) that you might want.

slapnuts

His name is crapgamer https://twitter.com/the_crapgamer?lang=en but I really think MS needs to completely come out of the closet with these xbox to pc ports because giving the PC gamers a half-assed version is like teasing a crack head by dangling fat rocks in front of him. Seriously though - it's all or nothing, even God's word says lukewarm folks will get spewed out....so its either all or nothing, hot or cold, anything else is uncivilized. Ok time for bed, nighty night.

SparkTR

I don't how I should look at this.

It sounds as if they're going to use First-Party Xbox IP's as watered-down F2P Trojan horses on Windows to get Windows players onto Xbox consoles.

Forza Apex sounds horrible so far but I'll give it try.

Honestly, after QB and Recore I'd say this kind of thinking is a bit too cynical. You know, they wouldn't have announced them for Windows had they wanted to get PC gamers to buy Xbox's, I think they've moved past that for now. Like I said I'd be surprised if this wasn't a KI kind of deal. It makes perfect sense for it to be that as opposed to anything else.

Chobel

Personally I like this, I would never pay $60 for Forza 6 because I hate sim racers, however now at the very least I'll try the game and hopefully I like what I see. And if MS got lucky maybe they'll get some transactions money from me.

I have no problem with them not putting every single game of theirs on PC if that was part of their strategy, but why a half-assed version instead of the real thing for one they do choose to bring over? If one of the benefits of bringing the games over is crossbuy, this would be one hell of a bad attempt.

Edit: Hopefully it's just presented as free entry and you can purchase the rest / have it already if you purchased the Xbox version

Maybe something like Halo 5 req system, given its pc and a lot of piracy goes on.
They might try some different system to earn money.

Actually suggested a scaled down or alternate version could be released on PC a year ago if the full version is not possible. I was thinking more of a mini paid version though, not free to play.

Maybe this way is also to soften the blow and test the water for a full release.

In one sense its a nice piece of software for Windows 10, free access could generate more interest but I dislike free to play microtransaction. If it's purely free it'll be really bare bones and likely not interest people who want this on PC who won't be buying an Xbox One so they don't gain a sale on PC or Xbox.

Also I feel on certain games free access or cheaper early access can lead to people to get their fill of the game and not bother later in buying the full version.

dmix90

If it's structured like Killer Instinct when you can get complete package by paying full price if you want and this package is on par with console version then i think it's an okay move. But i won't be surprised if for some fucked up reason this is a gimped version of game which only purpose to bait you for "full" console only version. Like what other reasons do they have other than intentionally gimp pc version. In this case MS is still feels inner struggle and can't really decide what the hell they want to do. I don't like "Variants" word from this article at all.

Or with ease of porting with UWA framework content magically disappears on other platforms? LOL

Trup1aya

I think Racing games in general can work as F2P games, and I think high quality F2P games would help bolsters MS' store, but I would much rather have a full version that allowed for interaction against players on XBL.

Anyway this article isn't as informative as I would like. Does scaled down refer to the car count, or modes, or visuals? I'll have to wait before judgement.

Wagram

I like Microsofts increased commitment to PC, but I really would like them to take the extra half step. This is nice and all, but wouldn't the full game at a price been better?

Top Bottom