• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Four] top Bioshock Infinite team members leave Irrational

lefantome

Omg they have left the Scranton branch!

I hope the game is not in trouble. Late
Y lot of take two games are havimg troubles

This and GTAV have to be next gen games, right? I don't see either of them coming out for current gen systems with next gen systems being a year or so away (presumably).

foogles

This and GTAV have to be next gen games, right? I don't see either of them coming out for current gen systems with next gen systems being a year or so away (presumably).
BioShock Infinite live demos happened more than a year ago. GTAV trailers show visual parity with GTAIV. I'm pretty sure both are current gen.

There are very few games we know of that are very likely to be next gen. One is LucasArts' Star Wars 1313.

AHA-Lambda

Well, the game has never had hands on time with the press and even at E3 it looked like something you would have to play in a very specific way for it to work, so I feel this isn't too surprising.

Hadn't realised this. I can definitely see another delay coming now :s

BioShock Infinite live demos happened more than a year ago. GTAV trailers show visual parity with GTAIV. .

Maybe they are just realizing this, which is why neither has been shown for almost a year, and really all that GTAV trailer was for was to give you a taste of the setting. I could see either, or both being moved to next gen consoles...maybe they will still put out versions for current gen consoles, but if next XBOX and Playstation are coming out in 2013, these games will be coming out for them I bet...and the end of that article points to 2014 for release dates.

Yikes. I'm not sure how you can paint this as anything other than bad news for the game. Hopefully I'm over-reacting but: not good. Not good at all.

MormaPope

Banned
Some of you are honestly worried by this news? And that line about GTA V and Infinite releasing in 2014 is a joke, some analysts throw out garble just because it sounds good.

Bioware bleeding employees is a sign somethings wrong, people transferring jobs isn't.

EDIT: Didn't know the fiscal year 2014 started in 2013, so yeah, GTA V and Bioshock Infinite being pushed a couple months wouldn't be a biggie.

Gartooth

Considering how long the game has been in development for, I'm guessing that the game is mostly done at this point. I'm not too worried that the game won't turn out great, but yeah for the long term health of Irrational it sure makes me raise my eyebrows.

Scrabble

Please give me an example of an exemplary game in your opinion if you feel Bioshock had a predictable story, unoriginal ideas, and poor gameplay

haha Bioshock was probable the most predictable game I've played this generation. If you played system shock 2 then you already know everything that's going to happen in Bioshcock.

eshwaaz

This probably means Infinite is in trouble or Take Two is forcing them to make a game they dont want to make.
This is what I'm most concerned about. If the delay was caused by the addition of a feature or mode that the team was against, I could see key people leaving because of it.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
There's no way either of those misses early to mid 2013.

2k literally has NOTHING else. They've got an XCom FPS that is in development hell, and that's it. Every single one of their other titles is coming out this year.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
There's no way either of those misses early to mid 2013.

2k literally has NOTHING else. They've got an XCom FPS that is in development hell, and that's it. Every single one of their other titles is coming out this year.

Fiscal 2014 is April 2013-March 2014.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That still leaves November, December, January, February, and March completely empty. Outside of Game Party Wii U

I feel the main reason they would be hesitant to miss their release dates is because their shareholders are always on the brink of revolt and they already missed one year's expectations by a lot.

If they do it again (for the same reason as every year, product delays) compounded with the poor performance of Max Payne 3 and Spec Ops (which means investors can't even count on a safe hit like a Rockstar May title anymore), I can't imagine faith in management will be high.

element

I was thinking more of Eric Brosius, legendary Thief composer and husband of Shodan, though now I am not sure if he is a full time Harmonix guy or just works with them.
There was a lot of back and forth between those studios. Actually Scott Sinclair, the new art director, was at Irrational went to Harmonix and then went back to Irrational. Same with Patrick Balthrop who is the audio director at Irrational.

Boston has a really small game development community. You really have a handful of options to work.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I feel the main reason they would be hesitant to miss their release dates is because their shareholders are always on the brink of revolt and they already missed one year's expectations by a lot.

If they do it again (for the same reason as every year, product delays) compounded with the poor performance of Max Payne 3 and Spec Ops (which means investors can't even count on a safe hit like a Rockstar May title anymore), I can't imagine faith in management will be high.

At this point, the only thing they can really bank on is Borderlands 2. And I think Borderlands 2 will do extremely well. I'll even say that it'll be their best selling game for this year. I would love Enemy Unknown to do well also, but it's not gonna happen. It'll probably do well for 'that kind of game', but that's it.

So they need to get some info out about Bioshock and about GTA, and that info doesn't need to be 'We don't know when its coming out.' or 'They're hard at work'. If I were a shareholder, I'd probably feel safer with THQ at this point, and that's crazy to say considering their financial situation. But at least with THQ, they've been very transparent. Here's what we're doing, here's what we're hoping it will accomplish, and here's what our plans for the future are. 2k seems like they wait for Rockstar and Irrational to tell them something rather than saying 'hey, what the fuck is going on?'

StuBurns

Banned
System Shock 2 is going to be lost to history if EA don't cough up the cash and put it out in a convenient manner. Even if they don't make cash on it, they should do it for legacies' sake.

That article makes it sound like Bioshock Infinite is in development hell or something. Yeesh. I know people change jobs all the time, but the one guy was with the studio for 13 years? How does that and a possible 2014 release date bode well? I wonder if it's a case of Take2 getting pissed at the game taking too long or if working for Irrational is as hellish as any other game company I've read about.

This is everyone's solution to everything it seems, and it never makes sense to me. What's the budget for this game already? $40/50M? Give it another eighteen months for PS480 and it'll be $55/60? Factor in a healthy marketing budget, you're looking at four million units just break even. Four million units in the first year of a platform? Incredibly difficult, and more importantly, needlessly difficult when there's a hundred and thirty million PS360s.

I´m just selfish. Bioshock Infinite has a very nice art direction and i would love to see that game with great high resolution textures and shaders.

When was this game announced? Pretty much exactly 2 years ago?

Now people are wondering if it will ever be released?

Come on... it's a longer development cycle than most games, but this looks very ambitious. It also looked very far along even when it was first announced, so I'd say there's pretty much no chance this will get cancelled or pushed to infinity.

People leaving Irrational is sad, but I wouldn't be surprised if people get burnt out working on the same project for 5+ years and want a change of pace. All the best to those involved, and my hopes for this game are still... sky high.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Major staff leave during big projects all the time, usually it's closer to the end of the development cyle than this but it doesn't mean doom for the project. Most of the stuff is probably mostly done and just needs to be polished and tested.

StuBurns

Banned
I highly doubt the pc version will have better assets.
Lots of PC ports have better quality versions of the same assets as the console versions, I imagine this will be the same. And that's all that would happen if it moved to next-gen too, they certainly wouldn't be remodeling/retexturing everything because of the memory bump.

Although you'd probably get some DX11 effects to be fair.

element

I highly doubt the pc version will have better assets.
Depends. They might be DX11, so they could do tessellation on objects. They could also have a version on the PC that doesn't MIP down textures at all. So you would be playing with the highest possible assets created.

Kinda sad to see people equating the guys that left to a tester or something. "no big deal here..." :\

guys should I cancel my pre-order? I have had the PC version pre-ordered since e3 2011 :/

sounds like the dev team is trying to hide the game from journalists, and what's with all the delays?

I'm going to offer a contrary possibility (other than Levine's a pain to work for, project going over the cliff, etc)

perhaps- they were going anyway at the conclusion of the project, had other jobs lined up once BI was scheduled to go gold. Which, if it had kept its original release dates, would have been around now-ish. Some companies will keep a job open for quite a while to allow someone they really want to finish their current project, etc.

OR Levine's a pain to work for, project going over the cliff. Most guys at that level will see out a difficult project, though.

either way, it's still a game I'm looking forward to.

GlamFM

Banned
If Bioshock gets delayed again and GTA V misses FY 2013 Zelnicks Time at T2 is over.

Investors seem to be losing pacience.

Btw, again, because a lot of you got it wrong. FY2014 starts April 2013

bowery

nooooo, hope this title doesnt get delayed till oblivion or becomes mediocre....only game ive been looking forward to for quite some time...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
perhaps- they were going anyway at the conclusion of the project, had other jobs lined up once BI was scheduled to go gold. Which, if it had kept its original release dates, would have been around now-ish. Some companies will keep a job open for quite a while to allow someone they really want to finish their current project, etc.
you know, this makes a lot of sense

sflufan

Banned
Considering the stories of Levine's sheer overbearing arrogance and self-importance, I can hardly blame these folks for jumping ship.

Fjordson

Fiscal 2014 for Infinite and GTA V? Fuck me. That'd be a real bummer.

I've really loved Irrational's games and am pretty excited for Infinite, so hopefully these departures don't affect them going forward too negatively.

Top Bottom