• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FOX Animation Domination |OT| Sundays...on FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.
A0OFb.jpg

5/6/12 **UPDATED**

7:30pm:

A3eQK.png

Flush of Genius

jCRfw.jpg

Cleveland Jr. profiles his dad for a report on his favorite American, but when Cleveland falls off the toilet and suffers a concussion, he loses Cleveland Jr.'s admiration. Meanwhile, Rallo gets excited when he realizes he's grown tall enough to ride his favorite roller coaster.

8:00pm:

EhZeI.png

The Spy Who Learned Me

gGpH2.jpg

Homer embarrasses Marge at the movies during a film featuring superspy Stradivarius Cain, and his apologies fall on deaf ears.In an effort to become a better husband, he seeks help from someone he believes to be the real Stradivarius Cain.

8:30pm:

LU0lJ.jpg

Moodie Foodie

w88aB.jpg

When the restaurant receives a bad review from a food critic, the Belchers fear that the negative press will keep customers away. When Bob shows up at the critic's house for a redo, his plan quickly spirals out of control when the kids and his fellow restaurant owners show up to support him.

9:00pm:

BoOFj.png

Leggo My Meg-O

IWWSW.jpg

When Meg travels abroad to Europe, her exciting adventure comes to a halt when she gets kidnapped. Brian and Stewie embark on an action-packed mission to find her before it’s too late.

9:30pm:

Ryyjr.jpg

Ricky Spanish

VBYMC.jpg

Roger rediscovers his alter-ego "Ricky Spanish," an infamous character who remains the most despised man in town. Meanwhile, Stan and Francine are in for a surprise when their sponsored child from Africa shows up on their doorstep.

isny

napkin dispenser
Why was Bryan Cranston in two out of the five shows? (Cleveland and Simpsons)

Did I not get the memo?

A0OFb.jpg

5/13/12 **UPDATED**

7:30pm:

A3eQK.png

Mama Drama

s0w9A.jpg

Hoping to lift Donna's spirits on Mother's Day, Cleveland hires an actress (guest voice Loretta Devine) to play Donna's estranged mother, Dee Dee Tubbs. But when an unexpected event leads the real Dee Dee (guest voice Phylicia Rashad) to find Cleveland, he stages one last effort to reunite Donna with her mother, and the unlikely meeting helps the two women forge a new mother-daughter bond.

8:00pm:

EhZeI.png

Ned 'N' Edna's Blend

1jQnB.jpg

When word gets out that Edna and Ned have secretly wed, Marge offers to throw them a party. But bringing folks together makes them all realize that no marriage is perfect. Meanwhile, Edna tries to help Ned's children become more socially acceptable by changing some of the rules.

8:30pm:

LU0lJ.jpg

Bad Tina

Vp2pU.jpg

Tina starts hanging out with bad girl Tammy (guest star Jenny Slate, "Saturday Night Live") in an effort to get closer to Jimmy Junior.

9:00pm:

BoOFj.png

Tea Peter

vrNxN.jpg

After Quahog City Hall threatens to shut down Peter's illegally-run business, Peter joins the Tea Party and successfully campaigns to shut down the government. As a result of all the chaos in Quahog, Peter's father-in-law, Carter, reaps the benefits.

9:30pm:

Ryyjr.jpg

Toy Whorey

gkJsI.jpg

When Stan catches Steve playing imaginary games with his toys, he decides to take his son down to Mexico to help him become a man. But the trip takes a turn for the worse when Stan and Steve are kidnapped by a drug cartel, and it's up to Steve to break himself and Stan out of captivity.

Napoleon Dynamite has been cancelled.

I saw some of the 4th episode (which seemed to be getting some praise here) and oh my fuck. Was there some of competition between Allen Gregory and Napoleon Dynamite writers to be as unfunny as possible? There has to be some kind of character and charm to the writing, since that's where the humor will come from. Both shows suffered from a diarrhea of words desperately clawing to be more cynical and biting than the last spoken line...

You don't get likable characters or humor this way. Uhg.

I saw some of the 4th episode (which seemed to be getting some praise here) and oh my fuck. Was there some of competition between Allen Gregory and Napoleon Dynamite writers to be as unfunny as possible? There has to be some kind of character and charm to the writing, since that's where the humor will come from. Both shows suffered from a diarrhea of words desperately clawing to be more cynical and biting than the last spoken line...

You don't get likable characters or humor this way. Uhg.

I really liked both shows. This may sound absurd, but I think Alan Gregory would have really taken off if it had been British, or heavily pushed in Britain. Everyone I've shown it to here has really enjoyed it.

Family Guy had some funny moments. Especially the
Mort/Jew/Aryan
part. I don't know why but that got me.

Also I only saw Napoleon Dynamite once (?) but I thought it was pretty funny. *shrugs*

I wasn't very impressed by the first season, but I wanna give Bob's Burger's another shot. Any on hulu worth recommending?

How much of season 1 did you watch? Because it really hit its stride after the first few episodes, and has only gotten better since. Try the season 2 stuff, I guess.

Easily the best show in this lineup.

fisheyes

I wasn't very impressed by the first season, but I wanna give Bob's Burger's another shot. Any on hulu worth recommending?

I don't think you can really go wrong with any this season, but for the sake of just picking one that I figure might appeal to you, maybe try Season 2 Episode 4, Burgerboss. Art Crawl from season 1 is generally talked up a fair bit too, and is nice and crazy absurd.

EDIT: I have no idea if any of these are on Hulu, unfortunately, as I'm in Australia.

So I've just watched a fair amount of the Hulu season 2 eps of Bob's and I have to say wow. My opinion of the show is completely reversed. Lots of that charm I loved from Home movies mixed with funny plots and writing, just overall really really good, I love it. Easily the best new show Fox has put on since.. American Dad? I dunno, I think I might even like it better. I guess I must have only seen the rotten eggs from the first season which left me a bad impression. Anyway, I hope it's doing well and has a spot on Sunday nights for a long time.

Am I think only one who thinks AD is starting to feel different?

I'd say the quality has dropped a little. But a side of that, the whole feel of the show has gotten...more absurd. I don't want to say their jokes are getting similar to Family Guy, because that's quite insulting (although the vomiting joke is trademark FG stuff). But still: the gags seem more "out there", elaborate, not part of the plot line, ... The best way to describe it, is that the whole show is starting to feel like the Roger parts.

Still, I liked last nights episode. Anything Roger related is hilarious as always, and the delivery on Francine getting smashed by that demolition ball made me laugh out loud.

rezuth

I'd say the quality has dropped a little. But a side of that, the whole feel of the show has gotten...more absurd. I don't want to say their jokes are getting similar to Family Guy, because that's quite insulting (although the vomiting joke is trademark FG stuff). But still: the gags seem more "out there", elaborate, not part of the plot line, ... The best way to describe it, is that the whole show is starting to feel like the Roger parts.

Still, I liked last nights episode. Anything Roger related is hilarious as always, and the delivery on Francine getting smashed by that demolition ball made me laugh out loud.

Didn't some writers leave? I know one of the writer/producers went on to do Apartment 23 instead.

Bob's Burgers using a bit of an Earth, Wind & Fire had me approving.

The other kids being just but great comic foils but just that, it is something that needs to be worked on as the show goes on. They are great at interesting bit characters but hard to do a story line from so little info characters perspective.

Sadsic

id say the show has been continually moving more and more surreal; the show has a few defined eras to me:

- really early season 1 has a specific feel that's close to the first 3 seasons of family guy but without as much punch or characterization to the show, and feels sort of "pre-mature"

- the rest of season 1 along with 2 and 3 are extensions/evolutions of this feeling, but feels much more actualized, with klaus become a secondary character, hayley relaxing more
and roger becoming the crazy "costume" character

- the roger episode in season 4 where he tracks down his own persona solidifies the next era for me, where american dad is 100% sure of its characters, and ends with the
production season 5, where hayley and jeff reunite with the rest of the family

- and then this era starts up, which seems to be defined by hayley's continual non-presence, a higher principal lewis presence, and a much more "out of control" feel to the narrative

I'm not sure if it just caught me in a weird mood, but the last Family Guy (the tea party one) absolutely destroyed me. It was like a series 3 episode. Just hilarious throughout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom