• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

France to deport radical Muslim clerics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Freedom of speech is the key word used these days to justify everything.
You can't have freedom of speech only when you agree with what being said. I'd go as far as saying that freedom of speech for idiots is particularly important because that guarantees everyone else has free speech too (and we're all someone else's idiot anyway).

Sure, you can arrest someone for threatening you in a credible and imminent way -it's legitimate defense after all- but saying 'France should be attacked' is too broad and vague to constitute such a case.

patapuf

That would be too reasonable. Enver Hoxha managed to pull world's first Atheist nation so we probably should do his thing.

Just for the record, Communists and anarchists are Atheistic.

France has good reason to expect terorrist attacks from extrem muslim groups. Kicking out extremist imams seems like a smart move

Chuckie

I do. Islamophobia is real and live and I think this is good example of it. PM me when non muslim preacher gets kicked out then maybe I'll reconsider my position. Great place would be ban Pope visiting France. Maybe that's too much?

Did you even read the OP? Did you read the reasoning behind this.

I know something better, you PM me when a non-muslim preacher, preaches for violence against the French state and violence against people of another religious denomination ok.
Because only when that happens and is known, we can talk about the French government deporting said non-muslim preacher.

And no your assumptions that you think that happens aren't enough.

Well they're right and wrong, you gotta be careful, France is a very racist country so these kind of things can be interpreted the wrong way but also could be used to make muslim hate even stronger for politicians who never liked muslims because they were born that way. LePen is one of them.

I wouldn't want any of those extremists trying to shove their cave man thinking down our throat but i also know that there are good muslims in this world so who's right and wrong ? kinda complicated for a politician to prove his point as it'll be seen as racism in most cases.

I was born muslim, don't believe in religion anymore. Went to france many times and have a lot of family there in many cities but i would never ever live in that country. Simply because of my name, i'm seen as an inferior minority in that country. People just love to hate there, Paris especially.

Krabardaf

I feel like this isn't the best solution, still I can't help but agreeing with this.
Problem being where we put the limit, who are the judges etc etc. It obviously seems under control right now.

patapuf

Gypsies are not deported because of their preaching tho. Europe has whole other thing going on with gypsies and it's issue better left for other thread.

Gypsies also aren't calling for terrorist attacks on the state they are living in.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Deport them where? They're US citizens. I say send them to Australia.

For them Australia is WAY to nice. I was thinking something along the lines of North Korea. I'm sure the Dear Leader hates the same things they do.

PJV3

I will slightly amend my position.
If these clerics, no matter how awful, are just keeping themselves to themselves, or enjoying the sights, visiting friends etc. Then they should be left alone.

But if they are stirring up shit, then bye-bye.

Can you point to some specific posts and expand on what problem they are a part of and how they contribute to 'the problem'?

here's a good one

Good.

People who abuse their freedom of speech, people who move to countries just to try and go against all that the country stands for - those people should absolutely be removed.

You cannot abuse your freedom of speech first and foremost, you were born with it and your opinions are yours and if your society is unable to deal with your opinions then it is the society that is sick, not you. Unless these imams were actively involved with the planning and carrying out of these violent attacks then this is nothing but a hatchet job, pure and simple. Prove they were involved or this is nothing but islamophobia.

I bet there are more then few christian preachers going on about killing gays. And atheist do make death threats often, but it's forum talk so I guess it's no harm. Maybe when atheist churches become more popular we will have our own crazies (reddit/atheist) publically preaching how bad religion is and there is only one way to get rid off religion.

Yeah, and if they would take a trip to France spout their shit they wouldn't be kicked out.

Atheists have churches? I find this fasinating. I'm pretty sure they'd be kicked out by France. That Florida preacher that burnt up some korans was not allowed to travel to the UK. I imagine France wouldn't have allowed it either.

Mael

I do. Islamophobia is real and live and I think this is good example of it. PM me when non muslim preacher gets kicked out then maybe I'll reconsider my position. Great place would be ban Pope visiting France. Maybe that's too much?

PM me when you find hateful preachers who are not French citizen so we can deport them.
And ask scientologists how they were received here to see how we treat brainwashing cultists.
We can't deport our own brand of integrist christians because they're French.
And last I heard the Pope wasn't making calls for the killing of French citizen either and even then as a head of state he probably has immunity of some sort.

Metrotab

Banned
You cannot abuse your freedom of speech first and foremost, you were born with it and your opinions are yours and if your society is unable to deal with your opinions then it is the society that is sick, not you. Unless these imams were actively involved with the planning and carrying out of these violent attacks then this is nothing but a hatchet job, pure and simple. Prove they were involved or this is nothing but islamophobia.

Radical Islam could be considered hate speech, which is not allowed in most European interpretations of free speech.

CiSTM

Banned
Atheists have churches? I find this fasinating. I'm pretty sure they'd be kicked out by France. That Florida preacher that burnt up some korans was not allowed to travel to the UK. I imagine France wouldn't have allowed it either.
Alan De Botton is building a church (or was it a tempel?) for atheists. I also recall seeing guardian article about first Atheist church in UK, not sure if it was a joke article since I didn't read it.

Mael

Alan De Botton is building a church (or was it a tempel?) for atheists. I also recall seeing guardian article about first Atheist church in UK, not sure if it was a joke article since I didn't read it.

And that have to do with France deporting hateful preachers....how?

diamount

Banned
I'm French, I'm talking from a French point of view.

You can't expel citizens from your country, but you can expel non-citizens.

Okay but my point stands. What do you do with those citizens who preach the same speech yet non-citizens get deported?

CiSTM

Banned
PM me when you find hateful preachers who are not French citizen so we can deport them.
And ask scientologists how they were received here to see how we treat brainwashing cultists.
We can't deport our own brand of integrist christians because they're French.
And last I heard the Pope wasn't making calls for the killing of French citizen either and even then as a head of state he probably has immunity of some sort.
There was other issues on the guys list then calls for killing french citizens (denigrate women, who hold views that run counter to our values). No where it said you need 3/3 to get the boot, seems like you only need to go agains values of France and might get kick on the bum.

I meant fundamentalist preachers from the US.

Hateful Catholic priests are French citizens so you can't expel them.
Given how fast their numbers are shrinking I wouldn't be so sure. Some towns in the countryside are actually looking for foreign priests.

Edit: And I'm not even talking about American, Evangelical priests coming en masse to districts populated by ethnic minorities.

CiSTM

Banned
And that have to do with France deporting hateful preachers....how?
Nothing? Guy asked if there were atheist churches and I said yes. Before that I jokingly said maybe when atheist churches become more popular we get our own crazies. Not part of main discussion.

What? That's fucking stupid. We atheists are above such petty, arrogant needs.
It doesn't work like regular Churches tho. You go there to meet other atheist and pick their mind. So, I guess it's not that bad. Still useless imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom