• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola says George Lucas's attachment to Star Wars was "A Pity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

yyzjohn

Banned
The American Film Institute (Star Wars: #13 greatest film ever, GFIII: Not in the top 100), the consensus of professional critics via Metacritic (GF3: 60, SW: 92), public polls, box office returns, depth of fan loyalty, impact on culture, and anyone who has taken note of movies that changed the way films are made, all disagree with you. Godfather III is a piece of shit. It just is. It's not a stretch to compare it to the Star Wars prequels -- for a movie that keeps the conventions, director, actors, and tone of the original Godfather masterpieces, it was as bad as could be done, and every bit the equivalent of the prequels in terms of disappointment and cringe-worthiness. This shit looks more like the beginning of a Batman movie than the end of a Godfather movie. I've seen better approximations of stereotypical "Italian overreacting" in comedy sketches. Setting aside how stupid it is to compare these apples and oranges, nobody agrees with you. And by the way -- you're the only one making that comparison. (Well I am now, but I'm just taking the bait here.) I had a point about the desire to hit up a long-resting franchise leading Coppola astray and I am correct about it.

I don't even fucking like Star Wars, jesus. I'm out.

Nobody was more disappointed by Godfather III than me. That movie was flawed from the start. Duvall's role should have never been cut which would have eliminated George Hamilton from the cast. Winona Ryder was originally cast as Mary but then pulled out due to illness and Francis then put Sofia Coppola in the role which was a huge mistake. Also the pressure from the studio to keep the movie at just over 2 hours nixed the plan to have flashback scenes to a young Sonny Corleone growing up and paralleling his life with that of Vincent. Would have been similar to the flashback structure of Godfather II. Had all of the above happened as they should have, it could have been a truly great film.

I really hate when Gaf talks about movies so much negatively it's insane.

Coppola said a totally true statement, Lucas was making movies like any regular director THX, and American Graffiti, then he wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie, turned into Star Wars, was the biggest movie of all time, had two sequals, Lucas then stopped making movies for like 15 yeara until he made three more, tried making smaller movies, and retired.

Coppola is his friend I'm sure he liked his other movies I don't think he's talking about the originals anyway, mostly the fact that Lucas stopped directing after the OT only to come back to make the PT.

Accordingly to some of you guys the only director that isn't a hack is Martin Scorsese.

Faiz

There's a lot of truth to it.

But also, Lucas directed nothing between the first Star Wars and Episode I.

That's a 22 year gap of no Director work.

Just think on that.

Monocle

Coppola said a totally true statement, Lucas was making movies like any regular director THX, and American Graffiti, then he wanted to make a Flash Gordon movie, turned into Star Wars, was the biggest movie of all time, had two sequals, Lucas then stopped making movies for like 15 yeara until he made three more, tried making smaller movies, and retired.

Coppola is his friend I'm sure he liked his other movies I don't think he's talking about the originals anyway, mostly the fact that Lucas stopped directing after the OT only to come back to make the PT.

Accordingly to some of you guys the only director that isn't a hack is Martin Scorsese.
Coppola's putrid oeuvre is an infected pustule on contemporary cinema, corroding every fresh attempt at originality and corrupting the very tradition of storytelling with a deathly stench that will never fade. It's no exaggeration to say that Coppola has permanently polluted the concept of art. His career is best conceptualized as the explosive evacuation of his bowels directly into the bawling mouth of humanity.

HOLY SHIT at the people posting that didn't even read/understand what Coppola said - and anyway he's right; furthermore, you can definitely sense Coppola's sympathy for Lucas, his good friend, for 22 years of market product film in lieu of w/e Lucas wanted to do.

Scully

Neo Member
Before selling to Disney, wasn't Star Wars an independent property? Lucas absolutely could have been more daring with the prequel trilogy. It's not like anyone would have stopped him.

I don't think he is talking about studio bosses etc. preventing him from experimenting with the prequel trilogy. I think he is referring to the massive expectations placed on the prequel trilogy by the fans and the vicious backlash he got for The Phantom Menace. It's difficult to be creative and try new things when you know what kind of hate you are going to get, if/when you get things wrong.

Too much voice over.

The people hating on Coppola for this are laughable. Coppola is absolutely right. He's not shitting on Star Wars. He's basically saying that George was a talented writer-director and laments what other creations he could have worked on had Star Wars not been so all-encompassing for him.

Hell, I've wondered the same shit. THX and American Graffiti are interesting films in their own right. Especially given how much money Lucas has, I've always wondered why he didn't spend some of his billions going back and making some smaller, intimate films while he lets the Star Wars empire keep running as a separate entity.

Coppola has made some shit films recently, but at least he's still working on varied, personal projects. And The Conversation will remain one of my favorite films of all time.

There's a lot of truth to it.

But also, Lucas directed nothing between the first Star Wars and Episode I.

That's a 22 year gap of no Director work.

Just think on that.

That doesn't mean he wasn't doing other stuff. People don't seem to remember he's produced and written other movies.

I agree though, that maybe this Star Wars thing took way too much of his time.

Blader

I do hope Coppola ends up making his multi-generational Italian-American family saga someday soon...though I also hope he quickly shakes this idea of doing it as live TV too.

I am actually surprised that FFC is still alive.
I haven't seen or heard anything from him worth mentioning in the last ca. 25 years..

MV5BMTczMjIzOTY2M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzM3NTYyMQ@@._V1_SX640_SY720_.jpg

You should check out Jack.

The problem with Godfather 3 is that it's a bad sequel. As a movie of its own , its acceptable , outside of Altobello death

x8h5LQQ.gif

That's just unacceptable.

Lucas probably agrees with Coppola statement.

reggie186

Here's a list of the movies Francis Ford Copolla has directed in the last 20 years. I know one of them.

2015 - Distant Vision
2011 - Twixt
2009 - Tetro
2007 - Youth Without Youth
2000/I - Supernova (uncredited)
1997 - The Rainmaker
1996 - Jack

Probably still better than being responsible for the Star Wars prequels, though.

You must not be the film buff that your avatar implies!

gabbo

Maybe Coppolas should light that fire under Lucas butt and produce something for him. They both have more money than they need. Something subversive and experimental like THX1138 would be great, if a little odd coming from two very rich white men.

You leave the director of Captain EO alone!
:)
You joke, but post-Apocalypse Now, Captain EO beats out quite a bit on the list of "Coppola films I would watch if I had to discount all the 70s stuff." I mean, it certainly beats out Tucker: The Man and His Dream, and Jack.

Faiz

That doesn't mean he wasn't doing other stuff. People don't seem to remember he's produced and written other movies.

I agree though, that maybe this Star Wars thing took way too much of his time.

Which is why I specifically cited directing work.

It's a skill, and like any other skill, can atrophy.

Dude went 22 years without directing. Had plenty of time to practice and play in that realm between episode IV and I. Not much was going on in Star Wars in the intervening years between production on the two. For whatever reason, he chose not to grow as a director.

"Governor Tarkin, I should have expected to find you holding Vader's leash. I recognized your foul stench when I was brought on board."

Was this written by a 14 year old?

sol_bad

Just reading the first page of this thread, I don't understand why people here are attacking Coppola. It's not like he is shitting on Lucas, he's basically saying that Lucas is very talented with a great imagination and that it's a shame he/we didn't get to see other ideas that were in his head.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I was on hallucinogens
the first time I saw Apocalypse Now back in 2009 and it was the greatest cinematic experience of my life.

Didn't Lucas do a movie about fighter pilots in WWII recently? How was that film? I know he always liked the dogfighting of the old planes.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
American Graffiti was a blockbuster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom