• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola says George Lucas's attachment to Star Wars was "A Pity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exodust

Banned
As a Star Wars fan I agree completely. Lucas did interesting and fantastic work before Star Wars, and considering that his direction led to my least favorite of the original trilogy and than the prequel trilogy more than a decade later to disastrous results I would have loved to see him stick to doing more experimental work.

Hell, If he directed stuff after Star Wars and in between his work on Indiana Jones that would have been interesting to see. Ah well.

Madness

Godfather III was at least a film that had a couple of redeeming qualities mixed in with the garbage, unlike a certain prequel trilogy.

I would rather watch Phantom Menace a million times than Godfather III. I wish I never watched that movie. Completely ruined the character of Michael Corleone, and Sofia Coppola's acting is probably the worst I've ever seen in a film even to this day. Jar Jar is a more believeable character than her portrayal of Mary Corleone.

Spinifex

I'm losing my mind. Somehow I got mixed up and thought Kubrick directed Apocalypse Now. I've even seen all of the special features for Apocalypse Now and I thought that was Kubrick the whole time. Holy shit.

You might be thinking of Full Metal Jacket.

Mr_Moogle

The prequels and special editions we're pretty unforgivable but then I hear that Lucas is giving billions of his Star Wars money to charities and I start feeling conflicted.

giphy.gif

SegaShack

The prequels and special editions we're pretty unforgivable but then I hear that Lucas is giving billions of his Star Wars money to charities and I start feeling conflicted.

Really? So you feel "conflicted" about a film maker's decisions versus his charity donations. Honestly I think the original untouched star wars films are masterpieces and am not into the prequels, but regardless of any of that, anyone who gives that much to charity deserves to be commemorated for their contribution to society. That's an insane amount of money.

DeathyBoy

Banned
I think it's a pity Francis lost his God-damn mind making Apocalypse, Now and turned into a shadow of his former self. I also think it's a pity that, if the stories about him are half-true, that he's a really, really unlikable human being.

I think it's a pity Francis lost his God-damn mind making Apocalypse, Now and turned into a shadow of his former self. I also think it's a pity that, if the stories about him are half-true, that he's a really, really unlikable human being.
Apocalypse Now is probably one of my favorite movies. It's a masterpiece.

Mr_Moogle

Really? So you feel "conflicted" about a film maker's decisions versus his charity donations. Honestly I think the original untouched star wars films are masterpieces and am not into the prequels, but regardless of any of that, anyone who gives that much to charity deserves to be commemorated for their contribution to society. That's an insane amount of money.

Yeah well I can't hate anybody who gives that much to charity but I can't like anybody that made the prequels and special dvd editions. I guess I'm stuck on the neutral planet as far as Lucas goes.

PsychBat!

Banned
Yeah well I can't hate anybody who gives that much to charity but I can't like anybody that made the prequels and special dvd editions. I guess I'm stuck on the neutral planet as far as Lucas goes.
Oh so they "raped" your childhood or something right?

He's right. It seems like it killed his love for movies too

He never went back to something like thx or american graffiti again

Smh at the moronic posts in this thread

I've heard for DECADES about how Lucas wanted to do more interesting and experimental stuff. Really sad that literally nothing materialized.

Oersted

Lucas may make a movie now and then but anyone expecting anything out of him greatly will be disappointed. Hell the guy has been saying he wanted to make smaller movies for decades now, if he wanted too he could have done so every damn year multiple times over.

If one thing has been proven it's Lucas says a lot of shit but most of it is not believable.

Lucas already did recently a movie. It was hot garbage.

He's lamenting probably because they were part of the American New Wave movement of filmmakers in the 70s.

Apocalypse Now was the high point, Star Wars the end of the wave, ushering the way into the reign of big studios (6 control the market), multiplex cinemas and merchandise movies (Hasbro, Marvel etc).

wildfire

Banned
After reading many comments in this thread I underappreciated Lucas' works. I would be interested in him making a medium budget movie ran at 48 FPS so it can be used as template to teach other directors how to use the format better. HFR Hobbit made the CGI a lot more realistic but it made all the non0CGI stuff look like a close up view of theater performance.

C4Lukins

I am not sure what the controversy is. He spent like 7 years on the original trilogy, and most would agree that his involvement in the franchise after that was bad. He should have moved on.

Oersted

After reading many comments in this thread I underappreciated Lucas' works. I would be interested in him making a medium budget movie ran at 48 FPS so it can be used as template to teach other directors how to use the format better. HFR Hobbit made the CGI a lot more realistic but it made all the non0CGI stuff look like a close up view of theater performance.

Ang Lee's next movie is shot in 120 fps, Cameron is doing Avatar 2 in 48 fps. Both guys have been exceptionally good in showing how new techniques should be used.

I am not sure what the controversy is. He spent like 7 years on the original trilogy, and most would agree that his involvement in the franchise after that was bad. He should have moved on.

I have a feeling that many read it as "Star Wars was a mistake. Its nothing but trash."

Lucas already did recently a movie. It was hot garbage.

Apocalypse Now was the high point, Star Wars the end of the wave, ushering the way into the reign of big studios (6 control the market), multiplex cinemas and merchandise movies (Hasbro, Marvel etc).

He produced Red Tails. Is that what you're referring to? Or Strange Magic?

Did Lucas direct SM?

I'm sure Coppola is talking more about him actually directing interesting things.

It's a shame you got the first post, isn't it?
It's a shame that it turned into a Coppola v. Lucas thread, certainly. I only meant to question the last 30 years of Coppola's career and his own overstaying in the Godfather universe, and call into question this idea that Lucas would've been more successful or fulfilled as a David Lynch-esque "experimental film arteur," leaving aside the question of whether Lucas would even be able to do that to any successful degree, at all. Since he didn't want to, and Coppola is in no position to question the post-success career of anybody, it was a dumb remark.

But dumb remark aside, it was embarassing to find myself on the side of defensive Star Wars fanboys, so yes. A shame.

Oersted

He produced Red Tails. Is that what you're referring to? Or Strange Magic?

Did Lucas direct SM?

I'm sure Coppola is talking more about him actually directing interesting things.

Was referring to Strange Magic. And yeah, he only (?) did the story, which was bad, but does not qualify for the thing Coppola had in mind. So yeah, my bad. In my defense, a shit story doesn't bode well.

What a weird thread this turned into. I'm not sure why anybody has felt the need to attack either filmmaker. Coppola isn't attacking Lucas, he just wishes that Lucas would have had a more diverse filmography. I bet Lucas agrees with him.

I like the idea of Lucas making these short experimental films behind closed doors, and then screening them for all of his old film buddies. You've earned it George, live that life.

Was referring to Strange Magic. And yeah, he only (?) did the story, which was bad, but does not qualify for the thing Coppola had in mind. So yeah, my bad. In my defense, a shit story doesn't bode well.

I'm definitely not sold on Lucas being successful with his directorial experiments. Maybe the success of Star Wars scared him off? He was afraid of making his Lovely Bones, one might say.

Monocle

Gangster and War movies are so cliche and boring. You know what's cool though? Lazers, Lazer Swords, Capes, Puppets, regurgitated Eastern Philosophy, and oh yeah; a combined box office revenue of $4.38 billion. Bitch
Yeah, there's something coarse and irritating about gangster and war movies. It's nice to see a truly original genre claim the high ground.

Godfather part III is better than any Star Wars film made.

Even better than the one youve made up in your head.
I wouldn't go that far, lol.

Godfather part III is better than any Star Wars film made.

Even better than the one youve made up in your head.
The American Film Institute (Star Wars: #13 greatest film ever, GFIII: Not in the top 100), the consensus of professional critics via Metacritic (GF3: 60, SW: 92), public polls, box office returns, depth of fan loyalty, impact on culture, and anyone who has taken note of movies that changed the way films are made, all disagree with you. Godfather III is a piece of shit. It just is. It's not a stretch to compare it to the Star Wars prequels -- for a movie that keeps the conventions, director, actors, and tone of the original Godfather masterpieces, it was as bad as could be done, and every bit the equivalent of the prequels in terms of disappointment and cringe-worthiness. This shit looks more like the beginning of a Batman movie than the end of a Godfather movie. I've seen better approximations of stereotypical "Italian overreacting" in comedy sketches. Setting aside how stupid it is to compare these apples and oranges, nobody agrees with you. And by the way -- you're the only one making that comparison. (Well I am now, but I'm just taking the bait here.) I had a point about the desire to hit up a long-resting franchise leading Coppola astray and I am correct about it.

I don't even fucking like Star Wars, jesus. I'm out.

thenexus6

I agree, I wonder what else George would've directed in between Jedi and Phantom Menace. But he said he wanted to focus on smaller independent films after Revenge of the Sith but hasn't directed anything since.

-shadow-

Can anyone tell me why The Godfather Part III is terrible? Well other than Coppola's daughter being an absolute terrible actress. Most of the film to me felt like a great movie, with pretty much every frame dedicated to his daughter dragging the film down temporarily. Other than her I found it a great film, not as good as the first two, sure, but nowhere near as bad as everyone tells me they are.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Did the people who are mad at Coppola actually read his comments? He's saying he wish Lucaas wasn't so attached to it so that he could make smaller, more experimental films like some of his pre-Star Wars films. He's right.

George Lucas, after Star Wars, could never make another American Graffiti.

Coppola, while certainly having made scores of failed movies after the Godfather I and II, but he also has a richer catalog... Apocalypse Now, the Conversation, the Cotton Club, Peggy Sue got Married, and even Bram Stoker's: Dracula.

After Apocalypse Now FFC never reached those high peaks again, but there are still a lot of good, solid movies among 'em:

The Outsiders
Rumble Fish
The Cotton Club
Peggy Sue Got Married
Tucker: The Man and his Dream
Godfather III
The Rainmaker

I wouldn't include Dracula though, that was a pretty lousy movie.

Aselith

I agree, I think if he had done the trilogy and moved on he would have done some great stuff. He spent a lot of time between the end of ROTJ and the prequels being a back office dude. He should have moved on to other creative endeavors and left Star Wars as it was. I mean it's not like he did nothing as he was producing stuff but he should have been out there doing other projects of his own.

After Apocalypse Now FFC never reached those high peaks again, but there are still a lot of good, solid movies among 'em:

The Outsiders
Rumble Fish
The Cotton Club
Peggy Sue Got Married
Tucker: The Man and his Dream
Godfather III
The Rainmaker

I wouldn't include Dracula though, that was a pretty lousy movie.
Apocalypse Now almost drove the man to madness. You can almost forgive anything after knowing that.

Scully

Neo Member
I doubt Lucas disagrees with Coppola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhACgJJkc4

George Lucas: You go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized, and people try to make decisions about what you're going to do before you do it. You know, it's not much fun and you can't experiment. You can't do anything. You have to do it in a certain way. I don't like that and I never did. I started out in experimental films and I want to go back to experimental films. But of course no one wants to see experimental films.

Interviewer: I loved your first film.

George Lucas: Well, nobody else did.

Interviewer: Do you know what you're directing next?

George Lucas: I will be directing movies, but not movies generally that'll be shown anywhere.

Is this that controversial? Lucas himself said he wished he had done more experimental stuff and he intends to now that he sold Star Wars/Lucasfilms to Disney.

I doubt Lucas disagrees with Coppola.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhhACgJJkc4

George Lucas: You go to make a movie and all you do is get criticized, and people try to make decisions about what you're going to do before you do it. You know, it's not much fun and you can't experiment. You can't do anything. You have to do it in a certain way. I don't like that and I never did. I started out in experimental films and I want to go back to experimental films. But of course no one wants to see experimental films.

Interviewer: I loved your first film.

George Lucas: Well, nobody else did.

Interviewer: Do you know what you're directing next?

George Lucas: I will be directing movies, but not movies generally that'll be shown anywhere.
C'mon George, get to doing your small experimental movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom