• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Francis Ford Coppola says George Lucas's attachment to Star Wars was "A Pity"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

This isn't news. Coppola and Lucas are (were?) close friends, no? Initially they were closer than Lucas and Spielberg, I think.

Coppola could make a hundred shitty movies and still be an all time great for his work in the 70s.

They're probably closer friends now than they were in the 70s, Coppola sounded like he was a huge bully to Lucas then.

Y'all forget Rumble Fish, an unsung masterpiece!

And he's right, after Jedi he should of gone on to these esoteric films instead wasting his time with Willow, Howard The Duck and the prequels.

Savitar

Lucas may make a movie now and then but anyone expecting anything out of him greatly will be disappointed. Hell the guy has been saying he wanted to make smaller movies for decades now, if he wanted too he could have done so every damn year multiple times over.

If one thing has been proven it's Lucas says a lot of shit but most of it is not believable.

Y'all forget Rumble Fish, an unsung masterpiece!

And he's right, after Jedi he should of gone on to these esoteric films instead wasting his time with Willow, Howard The Duck and the prequels.

Rumble Fish is good. I wouldn't dismiss The Cotton Club, Tucker: A Man and His Dream, Peggy Sue either. I haven't seen a frame of The Outsiders in over a decade, but it was cool when I was young.

So yeah, the 80's weren't classic, but there's something there.

gatti-man

Eat it. Coppola earned the right to produce nothing but shit after draining all his mental juices on the masterpiece that is Apocalypse Now.

He's a hundred times the filmmaker Lucas ever was.

And American Graffiti is overrated as all fuck. Lucas made one great film not called Star Wars in THX.

One From the Heart is a giant misfire that's still better than everything Lucas has put out otherwise.

Yeah pretty much agree here. I also think having a fuck ton of money and influence will change a directors output.

What the heck guys, he didn't say anything bad about Star Wars, he just wanted his friend to make some different films cause he likes his work. Some of the vehemence in these posts is ridiculous.

mattp

george didn't do much of anything between jedi and the phantom menace
he had plenty of opportunity(and money) to do whatever he wanted to

What the fuck. People shitting on Coppola's recent movies and defending George Lucas in the same breath? Even if we ignore the colossal shit-shows that were the Star Wars prequels, how can you ignore shit like Strange Magic?

IrishNinja

he's not wrong, no idea why the SW fanboys are so mad about it

Godfather III was at least a film that had a couple of redeeming qualities mixed in with the garbage, unlike a certain prequel trilogy.

Eat it. Coppola earned the right to produce nothing but shit after draining all his mental juices on the masterpiece that is Apocalypse Now.

And American Graffiti is overrated as all fuck. Lucas made one great film not called Star Wars in THX.

One From the Heart is a giant misfire that's still better than everything Lucas has put out otherwise.

What does Coppola's filmography have to do with his point? Did Coppola spend 30 years making nothing but progressively worse Godfather movies? He and Lucas are friends I think he probably has a little more of an insight to this than most people.

these posts are good posts

jstripes

Banned
I'm losing my mind. Somehow I got mixed up and thought Kubrick directed Apocalypse Now. I've even seen all of the special features for Apocalypse Now and I thought that was Kubrick the whole time. Holy shit.

No, that was Full Metal Alchemist.

Vice

Coppola fell off before Lucas so Lucas wins.

I don't think it's a competition and both had their careers flourish and falter around the same time periods. They're friends, who hasn't wondered what their buddy would be like if he had spent more time on X rather than Y.

old

The director of Godfather III can shut the fuck up.

I've seen the Godfather III, but for the life of me I can't remember what happened, who it starred, or what it was about. I can only remember that it was on TBS one day during a Godfather marathon and that I watched it.

It's a very forgettable film.

Cheebo

Banned

Why did you reply to the guy who said without Star Wars Coppola would have never done his magnum opus?

What he said was 100% true. Apocalypse Now was initially developed as film to be directed by George Lucas and he initially intended to follow up Star Wars with it.

The only reason Coppola got to direct Apocalypse Now was because Lucas has to abandon it due to Star Wars taking over his life.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If Coppola is referring to post-ROTJ/80s , he's not really wrong. Especially once the 90s arrive, Lucas all but stopped even producing/funding non-Star Wars or Indy projects. You can count those on one hand.

I think one of the real damned shames about the big blockbuster titans is that almost all of them got out of the game in terms of supporting new voices or non-traditional Hollywood/blockbuster fare.

Why did you reply to the guy who said without Star Wars Coppola would have never done his magnum opus?

What he said was 100% true. Apocalypse Now was initially developed as film to be directed by George Lucas and he intended to follow up Star Wars with it till Star Wars took over his life after the first film blew up.

And without the film-making genius and insanity of that era of Coppola, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as incredible as it is(non-redux).

He nailed it, Lucas' talent was experimenting but it was also "not giving a fuck" apparently. Yes, Coppola made mistakes too, but the man directed the best fucking Dracula movie, with probably the best special effects I've ever seen.

Monocle

He's totally right though.

Oh sorry, I meant FUCK COPPOLA WHY DONT U CHOKE ON AN ORANGE U TURDMUNCHING HACK

Cheebo

Banned
And without the film-making genius and insanity of that era of Coppola, it wouldn't have been anywhere near as incredible as it is(non-redux).
I don't think anyone would argue that. Lucas intended to shoot it in California even.

But the guy Sculli called out was 100% right, the only reason we got Coppola directed Apocalypse Now was because Lucas abandoned due to Star Wars commitments.

Herbs

Banned
you're crazy.

people sure love to think Directors are some kind of vision man that only looks at dailies or something

dude made that film happen and it's very clear by how documented it is that it was a monumental effort both physically and mentally for everyone involved

but lol Jack am I rite. what's The Godfather 1 and 2

between this, Ridley Scott, and Cameron comments GAF sure likes to be edgy at these "hacks"

"oh shit they're not perfect! let's instantly forget about the best films ever fucking made, then"

just salty people whose greatest creative endeavor will end up being the result of sperm they deposited into a mostly willing participant.

Did the people who are mad at Coppola actually read his comments? He's saying he wish Lucaas wasn't so attached to it so that he could make smaller, more experimental films like some of his pre-Star Wars films. He's right.

George Lucas, after Star Wars, could never make another American Graffiti.

Coppola, while certainly having made scores of failed movies after the Godfather I and II, but he also has a richer catalog... Apocalypse Now, the Conversation, the Cotton Club, Peggy Sue got Married, and even Bram Stoker's: Dracula. These were all award winning movies, and while Star Wars is certainly a cultural phenomenon more so than any of Coppola's films (with Godfather 1 and 2 being the closest in popularity, but not close to Star Wars) and Lucas certainly has made boat loads more money, we got more out of Coppola than we did Lucas. We got to see him do more in his career. Aside from Indian Jones, Lucas has never been able to escape the shadow of Star Wars.

BBC

Banned
I love this.

The man doesn't even say anything bad, and people literally start shitting on the fucking filmmaker that gave us the Godfather movies and Apocalypse fucking Now.

the man's cum would win an Oscar before any of their films could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom