• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Darabont writing and directing 'The Walking Dead' series for AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
LocoMrPollock said:
Meh, I'll have to trust the Kirkman on it, I reckon.

Now, just waiting for Andrea to be cast.
I can't even think who the hell could portray Andrea or Michonne with some degree of accuracy. Female badasses are hard to come by, and both of them are pretty unique in their own way.

As for Tyresse, Darabont should be calling Idris Elba at this very fucking moment.

Idris-Elba.jpg

Look at this motherfucker. Just look at him.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
I tend to whine about the choices you guys make for actors but Idris Elba is someone I definitely could see as Tyreese.

I read the first issue. The zombies are really weak sauce. Being able to defend yourself with a shovel in an un-boarded up house? Coming across multiple zombies that just stand or lay there? Seeing a zombie, aiming, deciding not to shoot, then completely ignoring it and having no fear or the need to run/rush?

I'm sure it gets quote good. Can't judge on 1 issue.

gdt

half a moon said:
I read the first issue. The zombies are really weak sauce. Being able to defend yourself with a shovel in an un-boarded up house? Coming across multiple zombies that just stand or lay there?

I'm sure it gets quote good. Can't judge on 1 issue.

Well, they are regular slow zombies.

And really, the comic isn't about the zombies.

Hell, they are more or less protected from the zombies for about 30 straight issues (that's almost 3 years).

Edit: And there are two types of zombies, lurkers and walkers. One just waits, the other comes at you.

BTW, for readers, god, I hope they pull out the HERD early. That shit was totally awesome.

Cheeto

Funky Papa said:
I can't even think who the hell could portray Andrea or Michonne with some degree of accuracy. Female badasses are hard to come by, and both of them are pretty unique in their own way.

As for Tyresse, Darabont should be calling Idris Elba at this very fucking moment.

Yes, Stringer Bell should be cast in every show.

gdt5016 said:

Hell, they are more or less protected from the zombies for about 30 straight issues (that's almost 3 years).

Edit: And there are two types of zombies, lurkers and walkers. One just waits, the other comes at you.

BTW, for readers, god, I hope they pull out the HERD early. That shit was totally awesome.
So, for a significant amount of time there's no zombies on screen? Without spoiling much, what do they do for so long?

I see that the first issue might foreshadow safe zones. But, I was expecting the cop to be a badass leader and the constant need to shoot zombies.

TimScribble

Neo Member
gdt5016 said:

When they get to the whole governor/jail storyline... that's going to be pretty insane on TV.

TimScribble

Neo Member
half a moon said:
So, for a significant amount of time there's no zombies on screen? Without spoiling much, what do they do for so long?

I see that the first issue might foreshadow safe zones. But, I was expecting the cop to be a badass leader and the constant need to shoot zombies.

Yes, there will be periods of time with no zombies. A true zombie story is really about survival in a world that has gone crazy. It's about how people react in situations, what people become when humanity crumbles and who is your worse enemy... man or zombie?

itsinmyveins

half a moon said:

There's always zombies around. Think of them as backdrop or a treacherous environment -- a desert of sorts -- where there's a lot of stuff going on between the characters and people they encounter, but where the desert still is a constant and pressing danger looming around them.

TimScribble

Neo Member
itsinmyveins said:
There's always zombies around. Think of them as backdrop or a treacherous environment -- a desert of sorts -- where there's a lot of stuff going on between the characters and people they encounter, but where the desert still is a constant and pressing danger looming around them.

Well said. Good comparison. They are there all the time, but not necessarily a focus all the time.

vazel

Banned
half a moon said:

It takes after the Romero movies where the story isn't so much about zombies as it is about people surviving in awful conditions. The zombies are just part of the environment. This is a good thing as although Kirkman does drama well his villains are generic caricatures(just wait until you see the Woodbury Governor or the cannibal hunters).

gdt

half a moon said:

Rick isn't really like that. He's more slowly changed by his environment, to the point where he'll do whatever it takes to protect his people. He doesn't really go looking for zombies to shoot :lol .

And yeah, the above guys got it right, it's like a desert, where they're in a protected oasis for a long time.

TimScribble

Neo Member
Not too thrilled about Routh. Is there a chance he is one of the early characters? Who was the guy that got bit that wanted to go meet his zombie family?

Akia

Nevermind, I just remembered that there are going to be "surprises" in the TV adaptation. So if he's cast, he might be a new character, just to keep all the comic book readers mystified. But the problem with that would be that Routh is an easy actor to hate.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
The Big Rig said:
If Brandon Routh is cast, I'm not sure how I'll feel. He's an ok actorl, but a little too pretty boy for the Walking Dead.
I said the exact same thing about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker.

Never place your bets before the cards are dealt, gentlemen.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
SpeedingUptoStop said:
I said the exact same thing about Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker.

Never place your bets before the cards are dealt, gentlemen.

I'm sorry you can't use this for Routh. He hasn't actually proven to have the chops as an actor. I have yet to see him in anything that I've personally enjoyed him in or people have spoken highly of his role.

At least with Ledger you saw that he was a competent actor and had a good screen presence. IMO something Routh does not have.

harSon

Banned
Funky Papa said:

I'd recommend Omari Hardwick. Relatively unknown but solid actor.

Coop

quadriplegicjon said:
He's an okay actor, but he tends to have zero chemistry with anyone else on screen.

Yeah he was horrible on Chuck. Never believed his relationship with Sarah

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
wenis said:
I'm sorry you can't use this for Routh. He hasn't actually proven to have the chops as an actor. I have yet to see him in anything that I've personally enjoyed him in or people have spoken highly of his role.

At least with Ledger you saw that he was a competent actor and had a good screen presence. IMO something Routh does not have.
Oddly enough, Routh looks fucking stellar in Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

gdt

Ugh.

He was pretty bad on Chuck.

My guess is he's

A) A new, hopefully short-lived, character

B) One of those other characters that go quick in the comic. Albeit probably adjusted a bit.

No way he's Glen.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=14844

The morning began with some news circulating around the web that Brandon Routh was potentially going to co-star in the Frank Darabont/AMC series The Walking Dead.

Not bad, not bad. But it ain't true.

The official site for the actor debunked this rumor via Twitter stating he is not on board, contrary to those reports that spread like wildfire, as they are wont to do. Besides, if he was cast, I could only picture him as Shane, best friend to the Rick Grimes character. But Shane's shoes have already been filled by actor Jon Bernthal. Andrew Lincoln stars as Rick.

Breathe.

Glad it was just a rumor. There was no way Routh would ever fit in this series, and he has sucked ass in the only two things I have ever seen him in. Superman and Chuck.

gdt

Kirkman's really involved, great.

And even if you like Routh, there's no way he would ever really fit in this show.

itsinmyveins

gdt5016 said:
And even if you like Routh, there's no way he would ever really fit in this show.

I've only seen him in Superman Returns so I don't have any real impression of him as an actor (other than as the most boring superhero).
I know it was just a rumor and my response was mainly meant to annoy you guys :) Point is, I'm okay with pretty much any choice they make since I'm sure they're gonna do a lot better job with that than GAF would, even if that particular choice at first might not click.

I need to catch up on the comics, I never got farther than Volume 1 TPB, but I'm reading the pilot script right now and it's masterfully done. The opening scene is spine-tingling awesome and reminds me why Darabont is one of the screenwriters I most admire :D

Costanza

Banned
Gary Whitta said:
I need to catch up on the comics, I never got farther than Volume 1 TPB, but I'm reading the pilot script right now and it's masterfully done. The opening scene is spine-tingling awesome and reminds me why Darabont is one of the screenwriters I most admire :D
i hate you!

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom