• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean (an acclaimed R&B/hip-hop artist) announces that he's bisexual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakeyes

http://globalgrind.com/music/frank-...-out-the-closet-letter-channel-orange-details

After the rumor mills ran rampant about Frank Ocean's sexuality on his forthcoming album Channel Orange, Frank Ocean has indeed confirmed that he is a bi-sexual man.

[...]

"4 Summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that Summer and the Summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence.. Until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant."

A bit surprising, but whatever. More power to him for coming out in an industry that is still pretty homophobic as a whole.

Imm0rt4l

pulls an anderson cooper? Frank came out the closet a few days ago. Good on him though, hopefully it leads the way for more hip hop and rnb artists from keeping that shit in the closet. Like Luther...

"4 Summers ago, I met somebody. I was 19 years old. He was too. We spent that Summer and the Summer after, together. Everyday almost. And on the days we were together, time would glide. Most of the day I’d see him, and his smile. I’d hear his conversation and his silence.. Until it was time to sleep. Sleep I would often share with him. By the time I realized I was in love, it was malignant."

It was Tyler the Creator.

m-night-shyamalan.jpg

pulls an anderson cooper? Frank came out the closet a few days ago. Good on him though, hopefully it leads the way for more hip hop and rnb artists from keeping that shit in the closet. Like Luther...

It's weird because I've always known Anderson Cooper to be gay. How has he just come out? I am very confused.

Nibel

To be honest, this just makes him better. I'm straight but I think that he is an amazing artist and I will buy his album no matter what because he is great at what he does.

Go Frank! I hope you encourage more people to believe in themselves and do this step.

Yes, AC did recently, and good for him. Anything to further squash that intolerance.

I know he just came out, but hasn't everyone always known that he was gay?
I thought his coming out article was about something else he just mentioned being gay as a "by the way in case you didn't know already."

Also, both Frank Ocean and Anderson Cooper are amazing at what they do. Huge fan.

WTF? I thought he came out years ago?

Or was this the official coming out?

EXACTLY!!!

IT'S OFFICIAL . . . FRANK OCEAN ADMITS TO BEING A DOWNLOW BROTHER!! HE CLAIMS THAT HE 'FELL IN LOVE' WITH A DUDE!! (IS HE TALKING ABOUT A RAPPER WE KNOW???)

Quite ironic as the only Odd Future fans that are left are basically homophobic morons.

well that's weird because even though I might be a moron, I am as far as you can get from being a homophobe without going all out gay and I enjoy a few of their songs quite a bit. (eventhough I don't really care for the overabundance of racial and homophobic slurs).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Why would you announce this?

People were speculating about lyrics and his sexuality based on listening sessions in the UK. A number of the love songs use 'he'/'him' instead of 'she'/'her'.

The piece he published on his tumblr was going to be in the album notes. So he published it early to put the lyrics in context.

And, whether intended or not, it'll have a publicity effect. It seems the album was already being hyped up, and I'm sure a lot more people will be listening out for it now. I'd never heard of Frank Ocean before. I am very curious about this album now.

I think it is a little more noteworthy and important(and brave) for someone who's a part of the 'underground' (nothing is actually underground anymore) hip hop community to come out. So, good on him.

kamspy

Reposting my thoughts from the GAF HOP thread

killa king kam da godson said:
Still love some Frank and I won't even look for other meaning in his songs. I've already related pretty much all of them to some situation with a female in my life. No reason to stop now. Props to him for putting it out there. Had to take some courage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom