• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frank Ocean (an acclaimed R&B/hip-hop artist) announces that he's bisexual

Status
Not open for further replies.
well that's weird because even though I might be a moron, I am as far as you can get from being a homophobe without going all out gay and I enjoy a few of their songs quite a bit. (eventhough I don't really care for the overabundance of racial and homophobic slurs).

what about the misogyny?

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Good! Be proud of who you are.

Can't wait for Channel Orange :).

Prez

Nah....

01106814_.jpg

Tevin Campbell came out in the 90's. Doesn't have a career now though, not sure why he stopped or if it had to do with his coming out.

Billy Strayhorn was openly gay in the '40s.

HiResDes

what about the misogyny?

There's misogyny in most rap, rap isn't the genre for you if you're overly sensitive about gender politics, it's the genre you listen to when you just don't give a fuck. That feeling you get when you're in your car and "DIPSET DIPSET, DIPSET,DIP...SET!" comes on and you feel more unstoppable than the juggernaut. It's delusional and outlandish, but playing the part of Don Quixote just feels right at times. Just think of it as Urban punk.

decided to check out the GAF-Hop thread

Blackace said:
How long before some DJ open for Frank with Chi Chi man?

1. chi chi man 268 up, 43 down
"chi chi" is patois for termite (pest) and is a derogotary term for a homo-sexual. i.e. a gay person is as low as a termite

nice.

Kaizer

Banned
I wonder how the hip-hop community/mainstream appeal will react to this. I say all the more power to him, but a large part of the hip-hop community in general is still homophobic.

LegoArmo

I love Frank Ocean. Never really thought about his sexuality in general, but this takes a lot of courage for a hip-hop artist.

I can't wait for his album.

There's misogyny in most rap, rap isn't the genre for you if you're overly sensitive about gender politics, it's the genre you listen to when you just don't give a fuck. That feeling you get when you're in your car and "DIPSET DIPSET, DIPSET,DIP...SET!" comes on and you feel more unstoppable than the juggernaut. It's delusional and outlandish, but playing the part of Don Quixote just feels right at times. Just think of it as Urban punk.

"well everybody else does it" is not a good defense. misogyny/homophobia/racism is not needed in any genre, not in hiphop or punk.

some of the best Mobb Deep or Wu-Tang tracks dont have any offensive slurs, so its entirely possible to make a hard ass fucking rap song without hating on women or gays or anyone.

i think GZA is making an album with zero profanities or cursing. cant wait for that one. "Dark Matter" i think its called, dude is gonna rap about black holes and quantum stuff. fuck yea.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I updated the title to divert some of the most blatant "who dis lol i dunno" stuff.

I couldn't figure out a way to convey in the title that the significance of this is that the hip-hop community, as well as the African-American community more broadly, has in the past struggled with perceived or actual homophobia, and that people who have more contact with or who are closer to LBGT people tend to have more progressive opinions on LBGT issues, and so someone in this community coming out might have a positive effect on the community as a whole.

HiResDes

"well everybody else does it" is not a good defense. misogyny/homophobia/racism is not needed in any genre, not in hiphop or punk.

some of the best Mobb Deep or Wu-Tang tracks dont have any offensive slurs, so its entirely possible to make a hard ass fucking rap song without hating on women or gays or anyone.

i think GZA is making an album with zero profanities or cursing. cant wait for that one. "Dark Matter" i think its called, dude is gonna rap about black holes and quantum stuff. fuck yea.

You don't get it. It's not a question of need. Some forms of rap are all about the "excess".

blame mod

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
uh, because he was using it in reference to someone coming out as bisexual? am i missing something?

He wondered whether or not a homophobic or careless DJ might intentionally or unintentionally juxtapose homophobic content with Frank Ocean, now that Frank Ocean has come out. Such a situation might be awkward or offensive.

Alucrid

Banned
For whatever reason I thought Frank Ocean was British (I've only heard a remix of one of his songs). Quite surprised that he is actually from New Orleans.

You don't get it. It's not a question of need. Some forms of rap are all about the "excess".

well those forms of rap are terrible then. name some artists though.. who are ALL about misogyny etc. in every single track on every single album.

like i said, some rap artists who have plenty of misogyny/homophobia (like Mobb Deep or Wu-Tang) etc in their lyrics STILL have many great tracks that have none of it. so its obviously not needed, they could just drop all of that hateful shit and the music would sound the same and have the same feel.

jaypah

Good for you Frank, I just want the damn album! That kid killed that "white" on O.F. TAPE 2. Orange is gonna be a beast.

i thought he was suggesting the DJ would purposefully use the song. it's still kinda weird. whatever.
Even still, he wasn't being homophobic. But the hip-hop community(rappers, djs, etc) have been known for being homophobic and not holding their tongue on it. Some wouldn't even record songs with someone bi. He's basically just saying he thinks a dj might do that. I really don't see how you read that he's being homophobic unless you are oblivious to how hip hop is or at least hip hop isn't that bad in that regard as it used to be

Bladenic

An acclaimed hip-hop artist? That's stretching it... plus I thought he was an R&B singer? Unless R&B and hip-hop suddenly go hand in hand.

filler

Banned
I think blamespace needs to come out of the closet, he's obviously in love with Blackace. Holding all of that in is making him stoop to Timedog levels of shitty posting.

He's doing it big for chocolate brothers around the globe so I can't hate. Very brave move on his part, especially in the hip hop/r&b community. His fan base is already quite diverse so he'll be fine

Do your thing Frankie. You can smash all the dime piece dudes you want as long as the music stays good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom