• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free copy of Deformers for PC / PS4 (PowerUp Rewards Gamestop Account needed)

To those wondering about the game, a piece of my original post from page 3 way back yonder there YESTERDAY LOL:

"To me, the game is a mix of Rocket League (FORM BALL, arena style play) and Multiplayer Kororinpa (Wii game series that I personally liked, look it up if you are not aware of it).

You earn "Helix" currency (the icon looks like a DNA strand) which is used to pay for new "form" unlocks (different character "balls", hence the Kororinpa comparison), and in game money for other cosmetics (emotes, taunts, tags, etc.).

On the PS4, the last tab in the workshop editor, "EXTRA", leads to a microtransactions page on PSN which appears to not be up at this time."

TODAY:
The "Helix" currency is actually called "strands" according to Itacud; huh, lucky guess...

If only I knew what the hell some of these buttons were doing.

There is a controller layout option in the settings. Look in the menus and you will find it. I was so happy when I found it, it allowed me to play decently the second time around because to wit the right trigger/bumper buttons are offensive buttons and the left trigger/bumper buttons are defensive buttons for the most part. But you can get creative on defense, like becoming a block and making someone bounce off you and off the map in an attempted RAM attack. D-pad is your taunts/emotes/tags, and R3 centers your camera. Again, the whole controller layout diagram is in there (at least on the PS4 side, have not played PC side yet).

Well then... I hope everyone enjoys the game. lol

We are still ramping up as things are NOT happening in the way it was planned ;) you might see a few random interruptions for the rest of today (hopefully not many) while we update components and spin things up.

If it happens it should be a short pause and the services should come up again quickly - we are working to smooth out the last few remaining edges, and we are trying to do so without disturbing the many "early adopters" ;) that are playing already. Thanks for your patience.

Well, I liked it for being what I "think" it is supposed to be :D.

Two things though: One, is the BOT AI just needing to be turned on? I figured that might be the case and you guys were actually waiting for the 21st to flip the switch. But otherwise, combat with humans is crazy and chaotic at times in a full room. And for being an "early adopter", your online was smooth as butter for me. No slowdown, no lag, just nice game play at full speed. I hope that sticks after legit launch day.

And two, I want to also take a moment and thank you for not going nuclear or melting down on Twitter and stuff like that over all this. Here is hoping you guys get ALL THE MONIES in some form, and that you launch to positive vibes and reviews!

Jason@RAD

Neo Member
One, is the BOT AI just needing to be turned on? I figured that might be the case and you guys were actually waiting for the 21st to flip the switch. But otherwise, combat with humans is crazy and chaotic at times in a full room.

We called them dummies instead of bots because they don't have AI. They are punching bags to practice your moves against. Bot AI is one of many ideas on our backlog to explore, and player feedback will definitely contribute to how potential future features are prioritized. Starting out, we figured that the most fun was always going to be playing with other people, so our focus has been on making human vs human competitive play as fun as possible.

fernoca

Well then... I hope everyone enjoys the game. lol

We are still ramping up as things are NOT happening in the way it was planned ;) you might see a few random interruptions for the rest of today (hopefully not many) while we update components and spin things up.

If it happens it should be a short pause and the services should come up again quickly - we are working to smooth out the last few remaining edges, and we are trying to do so without disturbing the many "early adopters" ;) that are playing already. Thanks for your patience.
Wow! XD

The thing is that it hasn't been shutdown still. So one can only hope that the positive word of mouth around the game also translate into sales.

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
One, is the BOT AI just needing to be turned on? I figured that might be the case and you guys were actually waiting for the 21st to flip the switch. But otherwise, combat with humans is crazy and chaotic at times in a full room. And for being an "early adopter", your online was smooth as butter for me. No slowdown, no lag, just nice game play at full speed. I hope that sticks after legit launch day.

And two, I want to also take a moment and thank you for not going nuclear or melting down on Twitter and stuff like that over all this. Here is hoping you guys get ALL THE MONIES in some form, and that you launch to positive vibes and reviews!

Thank you so much! :)

There is no AI at all at the moment - they are not bots, they are dummies. They just drop in so you have something to hit. Adding at least some AI is on the list. We already have the creature behavior used by the critters that run around, and the predator AI used by the Glob, the giant monster that shows up as a Disaster, so we have all the ingredients, it'll be in a future update and should make training more interesting. We have no plans to add AI players to actual game modes (at least for now), since they would probably end up being useless anyhow. Deformers matches are short enough that you are better off trying to fend for yourself if your teammates are leavers than give your enemy extra fodder by adding AI players that cannot play competitively.

I am glad online performance was good - it will actually get better as the game goes wide. We use a really cool hybrid dynamic scaling technology that allows mixing of bare metal (data center) servers and cloud servers, on demand. This means many more server locations than you could get with either a fully fixed or fully cloud approach, which means lower pings for more players. So far, in betas, only limited locations have been available and players were frequently matched to server a bit too far for comfort.

At the end what affects gameplay the most is effective latency. Servers are locked at 60Hz, and the game client runs at >60 on all platforms (with variance on PC and in split screen modes, of course), and Deformers does very well up to an indicated ping of around 120 (this is the effective game ping, not optimistic hardware ping), beyond that prediction and simulation can only do so much, and the experience does not feel as tight.

So, hopefully things will continue to improve as we expand and polish the backend systems until they are buttery smooth for as many players as we can make them. :)

On PS4 online connection has been super good, no noticeable stuttering or anything.

If you're looking for tutorials, the Deformers Game YouTube channel has some helpful videos that helped me understand the controls a little better.

I'm *really* enjoying the "form ball" mode. It's hectic, but fun, and when teammates work together it's incredible! I love the whole "do I pick up the ball, or just hit it" conversation you have to have every approach you make. Really fun!

Things I selfishly wish were in the game: superhero capes and masks, an Orange deformer, a Turtle deformer (the one turtle like thing is super weird haha)

We called them dummies instead of bots because they don't have AI. They are punching bags to practice your moves against. Bot AI is one of many ideas on our backlog to explore, and player feedback will definitely contribute to how potential future features are prioritized. Starting out, we figured that the most fun was always going to be playing with other people, so our focus has been on making human vs human competitive play as fun as possible.

There is no AI at all at the moment - they are not bots, they are dummies. They just drop in so you have something to hit. Adding at least some AI is on the list. We already have the creature behavior used by the critters that run around, and the predator AI used by the Glob, the giant monster that shows up as a Disaster, so we have all the ingredients, it'll be in a future update and should make training more interesting. We have no plans to add AI players to actual game modes (at least for now), since they would probably end up being useless anyhow. Deformers matches are short enough that you are better off trying to fend for yourself if your teammates are leavers than give your enemy extra fodder by adding AI players that cannot play competitively.

Thank you both for your quick and detailed replies. I imagined there would be some base level bot ai, but I completely see what you are saying here about the "dummy" idea. I used them for the exact purpose you state here after my first match drubbing to get the controls down better.

I ran into Glob at one point; that thing is nuts. I also landed on another player; and as someone who played a whole lot of Section 8, that felt right hehe

I also had a "leavers" match as well, where it came down to me and another player in a mad 1v1 for round 3 where all we did was roll around, aim from the hip, and let it fly trying to knock each other off the play field. It was enjoyable.

EDIT: Things I selfishly wish were in the game, my version: A Kratos head form model that roars a battle cry when you RAM attack. Call me old-fashioned...

Spy

I am enjoying the game A LOT more than I thought I would. I've only lost once in Deathmatch and it was the first time I ever played, now I'm 23-1 with a 3.1 K/D, lol.

Wish there were leaderboards.

MadMod

If anyone has a spare ps4 code, I'm willing to grab it. Although I'm in the UK, don't know how that will work. If not then thats fine, just interested in the game thats all.

LogN

Yeah, so this was for GameStop employees and someone leaked it to the web.

The codes were in limited supply, so this has taken copies from employees and has now officially hurt sales on the game.

Did anyone really think they were giving this away for free? I mean, honestly that's just poor thinking. The venue in which it was distributed to employees was dumb, but regardless this was not intended to be given out outside of the company.

Wozman23

As far as the code debacle goes:

I worked for GameStop back when Song of the Deep launched. If I recall correctly, each employee was asked to specify our platform of choice, then we got codes sent to us in a store email.

Sounds like someone half-assed this like they half-assed my store's payroll restrictions and my performance review.

And for the record, I would have paid for SotD. I didn't plan on buying Deformers, so I'm okay with this delayed severance package.

The codes were in limited supply, so this has taken copies from employees and has now officially hurt sales on the game.

Did anyone really think they were giving this away for free? I mean, honestly that's just poor thinking. The venue in which it was distributed to employees was dumb, but regardless this was not intended to be given out outside of the company.
It probably helped the game more than the original reasoning for it.

But probably didn't believe it. I assumed it was a mistake since it wasn't advertised

Anyone know how to do local multiplayer on this? I haven't picked up my physical copy of the game yet, and I am wondering if it's the same thing if I can keep it sealed or if the physical version has the local multiplayer.

Velurian

So ... no-one can help with a windows key?
:( :(

Dunno why it keeps telling me that I don't have an account despite the fact that I do.

Jason@RAD

Neo Member
Anyone know how to do local multiplayer on this? I haven't picked up my physical copy of the game yet, and I am wondering if it's the same thing if I can keep it sealed or if the physical version has the local multiplayer.

We depend on offloading a lot of the expensive physics calculations to dedicated servers so clients can remain locked at a solid 60 FPS. Right now running all of the physics computation locally definitely affects playability. Work is ongoing to try to optimize the simulation to the point where running an offline split screen match becomes possible; I think maybe one or two additional breakthroughs might get us there. If we can pull it off I would love to get this feature into a future update.

NMFried

Tried to boot up the game on Steam today and the screen keeps going in and out, flashing a black screen. Can't actually play. Anyone have a similar issue?

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Tried to boot up the game on Steam today and the screen keeps going in and out, flashing a black screen. Can't actually play. Anyone have a similar issue?

Sounds like a hardware/driver issue.

Please go to the game forum at http://talk.readyatdawn.com/c/deformers/ and post in the tech support section. Someone will help you figure out if there is an issue, and if it is something we can fix on our side we'd love the opportunity to do so.

Thanks!

We depend on offloading a lot of the expensive physics calculations to dedicated servers so clients can remain locked at a solid 60 FPS. Right now running all of the physics computation locally definitely affects playability. Work is ongoing to try to optimize the simulation to the point where running an offline split screen match becomes possible; I think maybe one or two additional breakthroughs might get us there. If we can pull it off I would love to get this feature into a future update.

Thanks. I figured it out. If I send an invite to a friend "Who's sitting next to me" and they join, it puts them in my party. I got so used to multiplayer games online that an invite means they must boot their own game.

I also upgraded to the collectors edition. I kind of wish they were squishy instead of hard. Plus they have no butt holes. Reminds me of my cat.

Jason@RAD

Neo Member
If I send an invite to a friend "Who's sitting next to me" and they join, it puts them in my party. I got so used to multiplayer games online that an invite means they must boot their own game.

On which platform (PC/PS4/XB1) are you playing? Secondary logins should be added to your party just by pressing start on their controllers at the main menu... an invite shouldn't be required.

On which platform (PC/PS4/XB1) are you playing? Secondary logins should be added to your party just by pressing start on their controllers at the main menu... an invite shouldn't be required.

PS4. I didn't see them join by pressing start or a button. I'll try again when they show up just to check with it.

Dragoshi1

Two points away from getting the Beholder-looking blue Form!

Enjoying it a lot, but major issues are disconnects, crashes(had a crash mid-match to PS4 home, and a second crash while trying to leave matchmaking...), and lack of an n-game tutorial.

I mostly have the controls figured out, but power ups, classes, and the stages are hard to remember/figure out. (And yes, I know there's a Youtube channel, but the player shouldn't have to find an outside source to figure out a multiplayer game)

I'd also like for a stage voting feature, I'm a little sick of the circus and desert maps; I got the green mountain-ish map for the first time out of 12 matches today!

Jason@RAD

Neo Member
Enjoying it a lot, but major issues are disconnects, crashes(had a crash mid-match to PS4 home, and a second crash while trying to leave matchmaking...), and lack of an n-game tutorial.

In-game tutorial is definitely planned. I'm investigating gameplay issues; any chance right before you crashed out of the game you had just been ram-attacked and were about to die? I've seen one or two other reports where that was the case, and I'm thinking it might have something to do with bringing out the kill cam replay in the corner.

Regiruler

There's a serious chicken-egg problem even with a base of free codes it seems.

Maybe a strong local multiplayer focus or some single player would help?

Dragoshi1

In-game tutorial is definitely planned. I'm investigating gameplay issues; any chance right before you crashed out of the game you had just been ram-attacked and were about to die? I've seen one or two other reports where that was the case, and I'm thinking it might have something to do with bringing out the kill cam replay in the corner.

Yes I think so, and I don't know if it helps, but I had submitted the crash reports from my crashes, not sure if you guys see those, but it has a short clip attached from the last few seconds before the crash as well.

Pretty good game but I'm done with it until they do something about people leaving EVERY FUCKING MATCH. 10+ hours into this game and EVERY match half the people leave before its finished.

schaft0620

That's like walking around COSTCO punishing people who eat the free food samples.

Jason@RAD

Neo Member
Pretty good game but I'm done with it until they do something about people leaving EVERY FUCKING MATCH. 10+ hours into this game and EVERY match half the people leave before its finished.

We have a feature designed to detect people who abandon matches and penalize their progression (xp/prestige awarded at the end of matches) accordingly. It's been disabled for now because of recent issues where people were getting disconnected for reasons outside of their control. As soon as we are confident those things are no longer happening we will be turning that system back on.

Johndoey

Banned
Finally got around to trying it out. I love it. I'm awful at the game, but I love it, it's adorable and so much fun. First time I've felt bad about get a free copy of a game.

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
Trying it out, there should be a tutorial since I have no idea what I'm doing, what the controls are, and when I press a button what my character is actually doing. The graphics are nice but I don't see myself sticking with it since it's a little too frantic, and I don't feel accurate when charging my shots.

hawk2025

Trying it out, there should be a tutorial since I have no idea what I'm doing, what the controls are, and when I press a button what my character is actually doing. The graphics are nice but I don't see myself sticking with it since it's a little too frantic, and I don't feel accurate when charging my shots.

It takes a handful of rounds, but you get the hang of it.

The main moves are:

L2 to block
L1 to flatten
R2 to ram (can be charged)
R1 to shoot

Ram seems to do the most damage, and can be countered with the block. Blockers can be shot or you can pick them up with flatten.

Top Bottom