• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FREE copy of Marvin's Mittens for all GAF members! Believe...in magic!

StAidan

Just finished it.

This game has been great the past few evenings for sitting back and relaxing. It really captures the feeling of exploration and spending all day out in the snow. (Although I didn't meet any elves as a child, so I guess Marvin beats me there.)

The art and sound just take me away to simpler days. Immersion? Marvin's Mittens has it! And little touches like the sketch book and one particularly cool secret area just made me smile again and again.

Also, kudos for making the snowflake hunt fun. It felt really fair -- not cheap at all -- like I could find every single one if I just looked around a little bit.

I really hope this game makes it onto Steam. I'll totally buy it. And gift it to a friend.

Roquentin

Finally I could finish it at home, where I have my desktop, because for some reason the game run at like 1fps in
The Elf City
on my netbook.

I love almost everything about it, so I'll focus on problems and things that could be improved:
  • Sometimes it's hard to say if level element is in background or in foreground (mostly in cave areas)
  • Resolution problems - on 1024x600 display, the window positions itself outside of the desktop, in fullscreen part of the game is cut off; on 1280x1024 in fullscreen it's stretched to the entire screen (I assume that's the case for all not 16:9 resolutions)
  • Level loading should be optimized - it takes too long and often stops the music which disrupts the experience
  • Based on the post below and my own experience, add netbook mode which reduces the amount of falling snowflakes and number of elfs in the
    SnowElf City
    level. That should speed up the game on low-end machines.

These are minor issues, the game is still amazing. Congrats!

Roquentin

I have the exact same problem. Any way around that?
Well, I solved it by playing on a more powerful machine, but there's another solution you can try.

Go to Level folder in your Marvin's Mittens directory (most likely Program Files\Desura\Common\marvins-mittens). First make a copy of file "14.5 - SnowElf City.xml" (for a backup) and then edit it. Remove lines 1341-1500 and save or even better comment out this part of the file:

Search for (line 1341):
Code:
<entity id="Entity408" type="SnowElf1"
and change it to:
Code:
<!--entity id="Entity408" type="SnowElf1"

Then search for:
Code:
<entity id="Entity425" type="SnowElfHammer"
and change line before that (line 1500) from
Code:
</entity>
to:
Code:
</entity-->

Kammie

Started this out a little while ago. As mentioned in the last few posts, it needs a bit of optimization, but I think you guys captured something really magical here. The game is full of wonder and is just a joy to walk around in. Artwork, music, characters, it all feels just like a storybook.

I love how with every snowflake my ability to fly grows, it gives the game a great sense of progression. And the way the day progresses and you eventually have to go back home when it gets dark. Just little magical touches.

I'll be playing this through to completion. Thanks for the gift, and congrats on having the vision to pull this through!

If you're still giving away keys may I try this out?
You'll need to title your post dude.

Just wanna say thanks for the game I really like it. Such a great game to play at Christmas, I like how some snow flakes are at certain high areas at the first couple of areas that teases that, yes! You will eventually be able to fly that high =D, and that feeling of wanting to go further only to be called back in at night really reminds me of when I was a little kid XD.

Kammie

It's hilarious how eventually, you're able to climb so high, and then Marvin falls what I can only guess is 1km, and lands on his feet as if he'd just hopped out of bed. It's funny getting on the sled and just doing a freefall.

I also
laughed when I got to the drilling machine and he started going like "Yeahhh!!!" when drilling through rock and getting snowflakes. So out of place, lol.

Edit: Just finished getting all the sketches and snowflakes. I'm kind of disappointed the game didn't do anything special because of it, though. :( Also, what are those little red cloths or flags that are on the stages every now and then?

TheYanger

It's hilarious how eventually, you're able to climb so high, and then Marvin falls what I can only guess is 1km, and lands on his feet as if he'd just hopped out of bed. It's funny getting on the sled and just doing a freefall.

I also
laughed when I got to the drilling machine and he started going like "Yeahhh!!!" when drilling through rock and getting snowflakes. So out of place, lol.

Edit: Just finished getting all the sketches and snowflakes. I'm kind of disappointed the game didn't do anything special because of it, though. :( Also, what are those little red cloths or flags that are on the stages every now and then?

You didn't get them all ;) think those are scraps of mitten as a trail hes following

Just a heads up that we'll make the cut-off for free copies to be January 1st - be sure to chime in before then if you want one!

Great feedback as usual, everyone! It's been amazing to see how many people have enjoyed it :)

Kammie

You didn't get them all ;) think those are scraps of mitten as a trail hes following
Well, I did get all the snowflakes, and I got
the rainbow snowflakes that surround my character

Am I supposed to get anything for getting all 11 sketches? Aside from
the animals sitting in the backyard.

BTW, Marvin's house is right below a cliff... it's gotta be freezing cold there! Terrible location for a house. :p

Well, I did get all the snowflakes, and I got
the rainbow snowflakes that surround my character

Am I supposed to get anything for getting all 11 sketches? Aside from
the animals sitting in the backyard.

BTW, Marvin's house is right below a cliff... it's gotta be freezing cold there! Terrible location for a house. :p

Nope, sounds like you definitely got everything to me! :)

AMUSIX

OK, I don't think there is anything spoilery, here.......is there something I'm missing with the
Snowy Owl
? (in the Under Hollows) I can't seem to sketch it. Don't have it in my book, but can't find a place where the X will pop up. I've crept up on it from the right, left, and in the branches, can get it to wake up, and can get rather close to it before it takes off, but never an option to sketch it.

Edit: seems to be happening with all animals that I haven't sketched, the
Cardinal
on Drafty Flats is also not giving me the option to sketch. I have found my mitten and I did sketch the final animal, if that makes any difference.

Kammie

OK, I don't think there is anything spoilery, here.......is there something I'm missing with the
Snowy Owl
? (in the Under Hollows) I can't seem to sketch it. Don't have it in my book, but can't find a place where the X will pop up. I've crept up on it from the right, left, and in the branches, can get it to wake up, and can get rather close to it before it takes off, but never an option to sketch it.

Edit: seems to be happening with all animals that I haven't sketched, the
Cardinal
on Drafty Flats is also not giving me the option to sketch. I have found my mitten and I did sketch the final animal, if that makes any difference.
I don't remember about that one in particular, but I had a problem with the one that's on the frozen lake. I just kept re-entering the level and jamming on X on the controller until after about 10 minutes it finally decided to let me sketch it. Didn't really matter where I approached from.

Shady859

Can I have a code please? You have my attention game looks fun.

Asked along time ago but never got a code, maybe because I was banned for a week for talking normally in the OT forums. :p

Top Bottom