• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Upgrade to Windows 10 via "Windows 10 Accessibility" Ends 31st December 2017

JP

For people who are still wanting to upgrade to Windows 10 for free using the Windows 10 Accessibility site, the free upgrade offer ends on 31st December 2017 so you are running out of time.
Microsoft said:
If you use assistive technologies, you can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost. Microsoft continues its efforts to improve the Windows 10 experience for people who use these technologies. Please take advantage of this offer before it expires on 31 December 2017.

With the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, we've taken a number of steps to improve the accessibility of Windows 10. To learn more, read our blog that details some of these improvements.

Before you upgrade, please check with your assistive technology provider(s) to learn more about their software compatibility with Windows 10.

If you want Windows 10 now and are ready to take advantage of the upgrade offer, select the button below to get started.

Yes, I use assistive technologies and I am ready for my upgrade to Windows 10.*
For people unaware of this route to a free upgrade it is the standard version of Windows 10 but the free upgrade is only available to people using Windows Assistive Technologies. Essentially, all you need to have done is to do something like showing notifications for longer than the default, using Siri, use keyboard shortcuts, etc. If you've never used any of the Windows assistive technologies it doesn't ask you anything anyway, so you can chose for yourself whether you want to upgrade without fulfilling the requirements or not. Your choice.

It is identical to the the standard upgrade that ended on July 29th and you simply press a button to download the update, it really is that simple.

Customers who use assistive technologies can upgrade to Windows 10 at no cost (Ends 31st December 2017)

Microsoft said:
*3GB+ download required; internet access fees may apply. Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by region and device. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise and Windows RT/RT 8.1. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page. Windows 10 is automatically updated. Additional requirements may apply over time for updates.

btrboyev

The free upgrade for anything never ended. You install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and use a Windows 7 license and it still activates today

BibiMaghoo

The free upgrade for anything never ended. You install a fresh copy of Windows 10 and use a Windows 7 license and it still activates today

I tired this a while ago and it turned out to be a massive pain in the ass. What you say is 100% incorrect in my experience. After installing a fresh W10, the previous version key will not be recognised. You can install it, but it will still say it needs a licence. I had to reinstall the old OS and do the upgrade path from scratch for it to work.

Perhaps you have tried this method and it worked for you and I am the outlier here, but if you have not tried it do not spread this as factual when in my experience it is not at all and having someone do this wastes hours of their time.

JP

The standard free upgrade to Windows 10 did end on July 29th and was well publicised in advance of doing so by Microsoft.

As you say though, later updates did allow people to upgrade anyway but that hasn't worked as well as it was supposed to for many customers with some customers having to jump through all sorts of hoops to get it working as it was supposed to. Some people were having to downgrade to earlier copies of Windows, update it to Windows 10 and then then having to do a clean install of Windows 10 over that newly installed version.

Even with that, some people just couldn't get it to work without assistance from Microsoft. With that, even if it has worked for people that way, not everybody wants to do a clean install of Windows 10 and would rather simply upgrade while the option is still available to them.

score01

I tired this a while ago and it turned out to be a massive pain in the ass. What you say is 100% incorrect in my experience. After installing a fresh W10, the previous version key will not be recognised. You can install it, but it will still say it needs a licence. I had to reinstall the old OS and do the upgrade path from scratch for it to work.

Perhaps you have tried this method and it worked for you and I am the outlier here, but if you have not tried it do not spread this as factual when in my experience it is not at all and having someone do this wastes hours of their time.

I upgrade 2 windows 7 pro laptops to windows 10 on Saturday. Downloaded the latest win10 iso using Microsoft’s own tool. Performed a fresh install. Entered the Win7 pro key and installed without problem. Windows 10 automatically activated. Didn’t even go to the assistive technologies web page. The process works.

Top Bottom