• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars Demo Impressions

raven777

those youtube trailers really don't do justice on how the game actually looks. It really looks amazing and is the best looking game on Vita I have played.

crinale

I did't notice that 1st & 2nd control set allows you to shoot with R when you are zoomed with L. With that I'm shifting back to 1st control set...
Still may change it after the actual game is released.

Here's something new - 12 min long trailer.
Only 1,5 week to go!

BTW, that trailer really needs attention. It introduces a lot of content.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I bought Vita TV yesterday to play Freedom Wars locally with my gf.
Tried the FW demo, because I was curious how it looks and WHOA, I didn't expect it to be that good. Really impressive.

biocat

Also I don't know if you can give instructions to your story NPCs or not.
You can give orders to NPC members-- it says so in the in-game instructions. It's just like giving your accessory commands.

You also unlock command slots and commands as you play the game. You start with only two: "wait" and "carry civilian."

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I know that no one cares, but according to the weekly leak, FW got 8/9/9/9 in this week's Famitsu.

The leaker stated that the guy deducted points for setting & storyline going too far or something like that :p

To far? To far as:

1) Going bad or over the top?

2) Over the top sexuality?

3) Becoming a uncomfortable storyline in the current Japan social climate?

4)Padding?

The story does sound pretty ridiculous.

A world where no one has any rights or freedom. Everything is commoditized, everything can be a guilt, everything can make you a prisoner of a million years sentence, and you have to reduce your sentence bit-by-bit by fighting against giant monsters, rescuing other humans.

Nick spoiled a little bit of the story elements in the Gamespot stream, where he said something like 'even walking more than 10 steps' can be considered a crime, and your battle is to earn your right to be able to do things that a human deserves.

seems like whether I will like the story or not will rely on what happened after I reduce all my sentence. the sentence countdown is basically the carrot they're dangling in front of me to keep me playing, so I hope there's some nice payoff in the end.

I can imagine myself getting pissed off if after reducing my sentence all the way, the game just give you bullshit reason to reset my sentence again. lol

edit:btw, the game is confirmed for english release right? how will they do the region fight thing?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?

A world where no one has any rights or freedom. Everything is commoditized, everything can be a guilt, everything can make you a prisoner of a million years sentence, and you have to reduce your sentence bit-by-bit by fighting against giant monsters, rescuing other humans.

Nick spoiled a little bit of the story elements in the Gamespot stream, where he said something like 'even walking more than 10 steps' can be considered a crime, and your battle is to earn your right to be able to do things that a human deserves.
Not much of a spoiler, right when the demo begins, you are told "lying down" is a crime, so you have to sleep while sitting.

RalchAC

Well, I could say that the story in 1984 or Brave New World are quite ridiculous too.

It's a distopic setting. There is stuff that could sound pretty ridiculous on paper. It doesn't matter as long as the story is able to keep consistency in its weirdness and obeys the rules it has been build upon.

I'm not comparing both and I don't think FW would be as cool as 1984 story-wise (I love that book). It's just an example.

crinale

Not much of a spoiler, right when the demo begins, you are told "lying down" is a crime, so you have to sleep while sitting.

Well since they are all in the demo, so...
You make 5 consecutive steps without permission and that'd be a crime.
(i.e. "walking" is pretty much prohibited without permission).
You try to talk to accessory without permission and that also would be a crime.

Within the demo I could submit materials I have obtained to get some "rights", so at least I could walk within the chamber without increasing the sentence :p

Why should they try to hide the fact that the game is inspired by such an awesome book?

I agree. The setting is quite interesting IMO.

Why should they try to hide the fact that the game is inspired by such an awesome book?

They aren't hiding it, but they aren't selling it either.

I may be wrong. because my Japanese is shit, but all the trailers so far has only emphasised the world and the setting only in the sense of "these are why you and your friends are fighting", without trying to act like there's any deeper meaning to it.

The marketing focus, imo, has been a lot on the characters, and is basically selling your hero journey as you meet the mysterious blonde girl, be entangled into a personal journey, bond with your friends and fight the ash-blonde evil rival.

Kinda like an anime. =)

I may be wrong. because my Japanese is shit, but all the trailers so far has only emphasised the world and the setting only in the sense of "these are why you and your friends are fighting", without trying to act like there's any deeper meaning to it.

The marketing focus, imo, has been a lot on the characters, and is basically selling your hero journey as you meet the mysterious blonde girl, be entangled into a personal journey, bond with your friends and fight the ash-blonde evil rival.

Kinda like an anime. =)

That's why is kind of weird the "going to far" part.

Kysen

Loved the demo, especially the music. Preordered already on psn. Just wish they'd made the melee combat a bit smoother like god eater. Currently it feels still.

RalchAC

Kinda like an anime. =)

Well, I'd say the average Japanese teenager probably hasn't read that novel either has interest in it.

So they're probably teasing the anime part.

It'd be awesome if they released a teaser focused on that stuff when trying to market it for the West.

Sitrus

Kinda like an anime. =)

The marketing does remind me of
Danganronpa's first case
. "There is a secret behind everything, find out after getting your freedom!" xD They have stated several times that that's is what they are going for though. And of course, CMs are meant to emphasize the cool ways to play to get more people to buy it.

The music in this game is phenomenal. Right up my alley.
Finally gotten the hang of combat and movement, and when it clicks, this game feels really, really good. Massive fun to play. Really can't wait for the end of the month.

ranmafan

Hearing everyone's impressions has me super excited. Can't wait to get my hands on my copy. The story really does sound quite interesting. Will be a blast to dive into the game, but hopefully I'll have enough time to play a lot of it,

crinale

The marketing does remind me of
Danganronpa's first case
. "There is a secret behind everything, find out after getting your freedom!" xD They have stated several times that that's is what they are going for though. And of course, CMs are meant to emphasize the cool ways to play to get more people to buy it.

That's one of the template of Japanese game/novel storyline, and main audience love that setting, so I'm ok with that (I like it too).

That's one of the template of Japanese game/novel storyline, and main audience love that setting, so I'm ok with that (I like it too).

not just japanese if we think about tv series like Lost, Fringe etc where the point is to uncovering the mystery, conspiracy or whatever.

Luigi87

Reset my Vita to try the demo.
Easily shot up to my most anticipated Vita game. So good, and really looking forward to the NA release.

LMN

What this? Can somebody please translate this pic?

10406502_763865136968936_6739586025084404155_n.png

Got it from here
http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/online/vcjs10009.html

Been playing the JP demo over and over again, and got all the weapons (thanks warningjab), yet my hype level for this game is still increasing exponentially. Cant wait for the localized version =)

Luigi87

So it's pretty much expected that the game is going to keep the Japanese voice overs, right?
I ask simply because the game does have that text-to-speech thing for the player's inputted name.

baekshi

Banned
So it's pretty much expected that the game is going to keep the Japanese voice overs, right?
I ask simply because the game does have that text-to-speech thing for the player's inputted name.

Yes,

Those voices are for your Android, it can't replace actual voiceover of story character.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Got it from here

Been playing the JP demo over and over again, and got all the weapons (thanks warningjab), yet my hype level for this game is still increasing exponentially. Cant wait for the localized version =)

thruster board for high speed movement around the field

this is the one game where attack on titan colab outfits would make sense. it was so WAT in monster hunter

Gee wizz.

I've been through a whole range of emotions with this game, from awe at the first Panopticon trailer to hate the first time I realised it was a plodding hunting game.

I'm slowly getting my hype back. Although it's still in a genre I'm not a massive fan of, it's got a fair amount of stuff that has piqued my interest:

- Setting is still cool (despite Famitsu reviewer's thoughts).
- Thorns seems to be a way of speeding up gameplay which is DEFINITELY a good thing
- The PvP aspect seems incredibly ambitious and cool for a handheld game
- Abductors seem to have health bars? (I hate not being able to know how much damage I've done to a monster except for % based visual cues)

Still keeping a keen eye on this. Hope it gets physical release in EU.

LMN

this is the one game where attack on titan colab outfits would make sense. it was so WAT in monster hunter

Wow, thanks for the info, wonder how effective would that be on the battlefield =P. btw I used Google translate on the website, and there is a list of prefectures of Japan, so I would guess this is the prize for the winner prefectures right? If that is true, man this would really encourage competition and online play, also loving this pic

image_Gang_01_Huck_trm.png

maouvin

- Abductors seem to have health bars? (I hate not being able to know how much damage I've done to a monster except for % based visual cues)

They have an overall health bar, but for the individual parts - afaik - you can only have an idea of it's life when you try to break the part personally with the knife (the mash-to-break thing).

btw I used Google translate on the website, and there is a list of prefectures of Japan, so I would guess this is the prize for the winner prefectures right? If that is true, man this would really encourage competition and online play

They'd need to balance it so Tokyo doesn't win everything by brute force :p

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They have an overall health bar, but for the individual parts - afaik - you can only have an idea of it's life when you try to break the part personally with the knife (the mash-to-break thing).

They'd need to balance it so Tokyo doesn't win everything by brute force :p
Well the prize isn't limited to the first place: prefectures ranked 1-5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 will get it (list in Japanese).

Ridiculous is where you get good video game settings from. You can't make ludoscabobib discobiscuits without busting a few 55 gallon drums for turkeys.

Can't sleep lying down, can use hoverboard. Again, aptly ridiculous. :p

Ridiculous is where you get good video game settings from.

Don't get me wrong, I love ridiculous. But my sceptical side is always concerned the crazy ends up being highlighted as a negative point, like some game reviewers with games like Danganronpa, instead of simply being seen as a differentiating unique point.

Can't sleep lying down, can use hoverboard. Again, aptly ridiculous. :p

Well, you do have a lot of rights in the battlefield...

Don't get me wrong, I love ridiculous. But my sceptical side is always concerned the crazy ends up being highlighted as a negative point, like some game reviewers with games like Danganronpa, instead of simply being seen as a differentiating unique point.

Well, you do have a lot of rights in the battlefield...

Yeah, it's probably my love of surreal and-or crazy narratives that bring that out. I mean, there's been plenty of games that are both "crazy" and "make sense" and there's been alot of games that are not "crazy" but "don't make sense".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'll download this later.

How is the animation, camera control and general feel of movement? I feel Japanese devs tend to do such a poor job in these areas, especially in hunting games like this.

baekshi

Banned
I think I'll download this later.

How is the animation, camera control and general feel of movement? I feel Japanese devs tend to do such a poor job in these areas, especially in hunting games like this.

Soul Sacrifice Delta does pretty well on those areas...

did not find any problems camera or movement in the demo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Soul Sacrifice Delta does pretty well on those areas...

did not find any problems camera or movement in the demo.

Yeah, I only played the original Soul Sacrifice, but it wasn't bad in those areas. The big problem with that game for me was the frame rate :/ Especially when playing co-op.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano

Got it from here

How did you get the spear? I must have put at least a dozen hours into it and have got only a chunk of guns to show for it.

Top Bottom