• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Freedom Wars (Panopticon) - Vita, 2014, "Recovery" Multiplayer Action

Skyzard

Banned
I think this is a gameplay section, certainly looks in-game at least:

image.php

Looks like something that would be in the start of the game? Seems inconsistent with other scenes we've seen with much better IQ. Would be odd to add that? Unless there are quite a few lower-budget cutscenes like that perhaps. Perhaps you are seeing things through the eyes of someone else there maybe.

duckroll

I wouldn't read much into the trailer if I were you. The GPS and Near features in the game are almost certainly just social hooks for sharing, matchmaking, and guild stuff, rather than actual level content in the game. :p

Skyzard

Banned
I wouldn't read much into the trailer if I were you. The GPS and Near features in the game are almost certainly just social hooks for sharing, matchmaking, and guild stuff, rather than actual level content in the game. :p

I'm worried you are right- they can really want you to think certain things and let your imagination run but with this screen especially:

The icons looks to me like locals to visit in-game, a hospital, other buildings, and then event areas/hotspots...?

falconzss

Already trying to kill all the buzz ;)

AntMurda

The timing (2014) and some of the art does kind of make me think it is SCE Japan Studio's Gravity Rush / Project Siren team. Not like Gravity Rush 2 has any sales future.

B.O.O.M

Hell yeah! Looks great. And the story/background sounds really interesting as well. Say what you will but Soul Sacrifice has a great great story and lore. Makes me really excited for this.

The timing (2014) and some of the art does kind of make me think it is SCE Japan Studio's Gravity Rush / Project Siren team. Not like Gravity Rush 2 has any sales future.

I doubt that. Sony Japan is quite in love with Gravity Rush. They even did some sort of one year anniversary event for it. And the original performed quite well in Japan.

Ridley327

Seems a fair bit more interesting to me than Soul Sacrifice ever was, but I do echo the sentiments of being a bit perplexed at Sony spending so much money on MonHun clones when they could have spent that money to, you know, get MonHun. :D

I wonder which team is working on this.

Bit off topic but has been brought up, Gravity Rush is the type of game that deserves a sequel. The main character and world are too good not to try and build upon, and if the sequel bombs on the Vita I still think another chance should be given to the IP on the PS4. However I don't think that will be necessary, since I think GR2 on the Vita would be successful.

AntMurda

I doubt that. Sony Japan is quite in love with Gravity Rush. They even did some sort of one year anniversary event for it. And the original performed quite well in Japan.

I'm not hating on the game at all. What kind of sales would you say "quite well" would entail? I remember it disappearing from the charts in the 50k mark.

I can't can totally believe that this went from an actual interesting name to something as bland and uninspired as Freedom Wars. God forbid someone might actually go discover a word that they may not have previously been familiar with.

ReaperXL7

Dont think ill ever understand the need of some to rush out to call something a clone. In this case it sounds like this game has some very different systems in place, gameplay mechanics, backdrop, artstyle, etc, as compared to Monster hunter.

So because a game features Giant monsters to fight means its automatically a Mohun clone at this point? Does that make Shadow of the colossus a Mohun clone? How about Dragons Dogma? That had some big monsters in it.

I don't think I could make something more generic sounding than Freedom Wars. Come on what is wrong with videogame marketers these days. Panopticon sounded so cool!

SougoXIII

Wow, 8 player? If nothing else, I hope this this game would be the same as MH in a sense that its solo friendly. I have nothing against playing with other people but I prefer to be able to do the tedious grinding part by myself.

prwxv3

Dont think ill ever understand the need of some to rush out to call something a clone. In this case it sounds like this game has some very different systems in place, gameplay mechanics, backdrop, artstyle, etc, as compared to Monster hunter.

So because a game features Giant monsters to fight means its automatically a Mohun clone at this point? Does that make Shadow of the colossus a Mohun clone? How about Dragons Dogma? That had some big monsters in it.

I think its mostly because it has multiplayer and big monsters. To me though Monster Hunter is much more then just fighting big monsters. It is about gathering shit in the environment to create new things in preparation of fighting stronger monsters to get more materials to create new things.

The Monsterhunter clone arguing really needs to stop. It is fucking annoying and serves no purpose then disguised console wars.

Ravage

Panopticon sounds much cooler, wonder if they will change it for the english release. Despite my near-zero interest in the 'hunting' genre, the game still has a pretty intriguing concept. Hope it plays nothing like MH.

Vashetti

Banned
Also, Panopticon is a far more interesting (I know a lot about the term as a Social Science student) title than Freedom Warriors.

They need to get on changing it.

Ridley327

I think its mostly because it has multiplayer and big monsters. To me though Monster Hunter is much more then just fighting big monsters. It is about gathering shit in the environment to create new things in preparation of fighting stronger monsters to get more materials to create new things.

The Monsterhunter clone arguing really needs to stop. It is fucking annoying and serves no purpose then disguised console wars.

It's hardly without merit, though; MonHun has definitely created a new major genre that a lot of Japanese publishers and developers wish to claim their own stake in. Some of them definitely do it differently than MonHun, but its impact is felt every time a similar game like this one is announced.

sn00zer

Yay...another Monster Hunter clone...cant wait.....
I will never understand why people like Monster Hunter....extremely grindy and purposefully clunky attacking and movement

SougoXIII

Freedom Wars will be far easier to remember, especially for the Japanese crowd.

How about 'Panopticon: Freedom Wars'?

I for one, welcome these MH clones. They offered another fresh perspectives on the MH genre, be it settings, gameplay mechanic etc... Sure, MH is a phenomenon that's not likely to happen again and these 'clones' are not going to knock it off the top spot but I'd like to see these game do well enough to encourage more experimentation in this formula.

On that note: Where are my pokemon clones at!?

VXLbeast

Was reaaaaaaaaally digging that trailer. A new RPG? Some sort of Devil Survivor like "number over the head" system? Interesting setting?

And then I saw the monsters.

Oh well, guess this just isn't for me. Looks great, though.

mothball

I wonder if they renamed it because Freedom Wars sounds cooler in Japanese. I mean, the Greek meaning of the word wouldn't really jump out at them like it does to English speakers.

But then, they also love using decorative Latin all over the place, so I dunno.

crinale

Just noticed the 2014. That suck I thought it would be out sooner.

Since it's got much heavier online aspect than hunting games (this has PvP unlike other ones), I'm expecting rather heavy beta-testing. IMO that's why they revealed it this early.

Skyzard

Banned
I wonder if they renamed it because Freedom Wars sounds cooler in Japanese. I mean, the Greek meaning of the word wouldn't really jump out at them like it does to English speakers.

But then, they also love using decorative Latin all over the place, so I dunno.

This what I'm thinking. I'm sure they know the rest of the world doesn't want to hear freedom wars, reminds them of Iraq and lines that were used.

Yay...another Monster Hunter clone...cant wait.....
I will never understand why people like Monster Hunter....extremely grindy and purposefully clunky attacking and movement

Probably because you get to kill giant monsters with your friends in wild and stylish attire and use their corpses to make that attire.

DigitalOp

Banned
I want this game. Its looking real good right now. I'm also hype we got a game announcement before E3. Whooop. Watch the US announcement happen in June.

duckroll

Alfa is making Over My Dead Body 2. Can they do both?

Aren't they always working on multiple games at once anyway? They didn't seem to have any issues with making Phantasy Star Portable games and Radiant Mythology games at the same time year after year.

Top Bottom