• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fresno man predicts his own death, said Fresno PD is out to frame/kill him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. Unless you can correct me by finding thermal imaging equipment that looks anything at all like what was in the video. Several others have pointed out it's not thermal imaging as well, and at least one of them is familiar with photography equipment.

https://www.instrumart.com/products/42343/flir-t1020-thermal-imaging-camera?gclid=Cj0KEQiAlae1BRCU2qaz2__t9IIBEiQAKRGDVaENQ5ertqvjNxYxVPCd-Vzg0eNuAwQvrmCp4P5T1LgaAqMN8P8HAQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

http://www.coleparmer.com/Product/FLIR_T1020_12_Thermal_Imaging_Camera_UltraMax_MSX_12_Degree_Lens/EW-39756-06

39756_04.jpg

pigeon

Banned
Honestly, looking at your post, this looks 100% like you didn't bother to look at any of the video evidence.

Yeah, Sherlock, it could even be that I said in my post I only looked at the website.

I went back and looked at the videos. They're literally just videos of stuff happening on the street. Is it a little weird that he caught somebody filming his street? Yeah, sure, it's a little weird. If you spend your whole day watching out the front door and filming random passersby, though, you're going to eventually catch somebody doing something weird, so I don't think much of it. If he didn't grab it and integrate it into a paranoid narrative about being gang stalked, you wouldn't either.

It's pretty disturbing to me how much people are buying into this, like, I honestly worry about your ability to recognize and filter bad information and understand the plausibility of a narrative. Read this guy's blog. Really read it carefully. Understand what he's actually claiming. Think about the investment of time and energy involved, not to mention the work to keep the entire thing secret and avoid any publicity so that nobody notices or believes it except the ONE GUY who's being targeted. Do you really believe that that's happening?

I guess it's possible that this guy is the one paranoid schizophrenic who was actually being stalked by some guys in a black van, but honestly it doesn't sound too likely to me.

Nafai1123

Banned
"Chicago police are breaking cameras" is a completely different statement from "Fresno man predicts his death at the hands of local authority." I mean like... these statements are solar systems apart from one another.

How about police falsifying charges against someone because he was acting as a process server and handed a police officer an envelop containing a lawsuit?

Or New York State Police faking fingerprint evidence?

Or New Jersey police admitting to framing 185 innocent people?

Or a Pasadena, CA police officer bragging about framing suspects and lying to get convictions?

Or SF police framing people?

I'm not saying that any of that happened in this case, but honestly it's not that hard to fathom that it's not only possible, but it happens more often than we would like to admit.

I guess it's possible that this guy is the one paranoid schizophrenic who was actually being stalked by some guys in a black van, but honestly it doesn't sound too likely to me.

Yeah, it's entirely possible that he is paranoid schizophrenic. However, it is also possible that someone who has taken issue with the cops is being pursued by cops, adding more to his schizophrenia and paranoia. No one will know for sure except for whichever department decides to investigate it, if they investigate it.

ElTopo

Banned
Yeah, Sherlock, it could even be that I said in my post I only looked at the website.

I went back and looked at the videos. They're literally just videos of stuff happening on the street. Is it a little weird that he caught somebody filming his street? Yeah, sure, it's a little weird. If you spend your whole day watching out the front door and filming random passersby, though, you're going to eventually catch somebody doing something weird, so I don't think much of it. If he didn't grab it and integrate it into a paranoid narrative about being gang stalked, you wouldn't either.

It's pretty disturbing to me how much people are buying into this, like, I honestly worry about your ability to recognize and filter bad information and understand the plausibility of a narrative. Read this guy's blog. Really read it carefully. Understand what he's actually claiming. Think about the investment of time and energy involved, not to mention the work to keep the entire thing secret and avoid any publicity so that nobody notices or believes it except the ONE GUY who's being targeted. Do you really believe that that's happening?

1: why post at all if you didn't do your research? You basically said "Okay, I didn't look at everything especially the videos everyone is talking about, but here's my snarky take on it anyway." Not a very good excuse dude.

2: no one is saying there is a conspiracy (maybe on Reddit, but it's Reddit), people are suggesting that an independent investigation should be made.

Seriously.

I'm not calling anyone out or anything but the difference in reactions from the Chicago pd breaking their cameras thread and this one are fascinating, from a psychology standpoint. You got a lot of people in that thread saying they aren't surprised at all. But in this thread a lot of reactions are that this guy is insane. Is it because it's easier and "safer" to believe that this guy is crazy instead of a few cops or a police department framing/harassing/or even murdering people they don't like?

There are tons of stories out there about cops abusing their power to harass people.

I remember one on investigation discovery where this couple lived next to a cop who started harassing them, they call the cops and they believe his side over yours. What do you do then?

Is it really so hard to see the difference? There would be a clear benefit to a shady cop disabling their cameras, so it's really not hard to believe. This, on the other hand, is pretty difficult to swallow. Step back for a second and read the blog and tell me this man doesn't sound paranoid. The videos are mostly uneventful, yet he makes huge logical leaps as to their significance, spinning very elaborate and detailed tales around them. A couple of the videos look a bit strange, but again it takes a huge logical leap to go from "this video captures something strange looking that may or may not have anything to do with him" to "the police were plotting to murder him."

I have to ask myself which of the following is more likely: that he's suffering from paranoid delusions, or that the police would go to the trouble of murdering someone over some comments on a newspaper website and a blog that looks an awful lot like something written by someone with paranoid delusions? I find the former much more likely, especially since if they wanted to murder him, there would have been easier ways than an elaborate, years-long conspiracy involving multiple parties.

pigeon

Banned
1: why post at all if you didn't do your research? You basically said "Okay, I didn't look at everything especially the videos everyone is talking about, but here's my snarky take on it anyway." Not a very good excuse dude.

2: no one is saying there is a conspiracy (maybe on Reddit, but it's Reddit), people are suggesting that an independent investigation should be made.

1. I mean, if somebody posts saying the earth is flat, I don't need to go dig out my astrolabe. I read the blog, it's a textbook paranoid schizophrenic gangstalking narrative. You can find almost the same story on other websites with a few names swapped out by other delusional people. I doubted the videos would matter. Then I watched them and I was totally right. They didn't matter. So I think I did exactly the right amount of research before you messed it up by complaining!

2. I mean, the guy who died is alleging a conspiracy. A pretty crazy one. He's not just saying the police killed him, he's saying they did it as part of an elaborate gang stalking operation. So yeah, I guess you could do an independent investigation, but you understand the reason you'd want that is because you're giving credence to a crazy conspiracy theory, right?

Some of his claims are also way out there. At this point we live in a country where if someone told you the police killed someone in custody, pulled someone over on false pretenses, or planted evidence on a traffic stop it would be believable because there have been examples of that before.

But in this case we would need to believe that first they tried to frame him for working on 2 stroke jet skis illegally. Then the police moved in a sex offender next to him for some reason. They also were controlling a co-worker. They broke into his house to plant evidence apparently, then never used it, instead opting to kill him shortly after he publicly said they were going to kill him - in his own home in the afternoon, not bothering to do it somewhere it could look like an accident. They also decide to kill him up close and personal with a knife instead of just shooting him. Instead of using a covert surveillance van they use one that has a sliding door with a camera right behind it and a dude in a cowboy hat filming. So many red flags in this!

I appreciate this perspective. A lot to think about there.

What's with the schizophrenic vs conspiratorial dichotomy? Could it not be both? Is there some law that says that all conspirators must only conspire against sane people? Would it not be more advantageous for the perpetrator if the victim were insane?

Some of you guys would be terrible real life detectives.

minx

It's pretty amazing how many people believe someone with a clear mental illness because it fits their narrative that all police are the worst thing in the world. This guy needed mental help and didn't get it which sadly resulted in his death.

Fusebox

Banned
It's pretty amazing how many people believe someone with a clear mental illness because it fits their narrative that all police are the worst thing in the world. This guy needed mental help and didn't get it which sadly resulted in his death.

So you think it was a suicide?

I don't necessarily believe the guy, but it is a critical mistake to immediately conclude that he killed himself without conducting a proper investigation. No definitive conclusions should be drawn at this point. Both sides in this thread are being equally presumptuous.

pigeon

Banned
I don't necessarily believe the guy, but it is a critical mistake to immediately conclude that he killed himself without conducting a proper investigation. No definitive conclusions should be drawn at this point. Both sides in this thread are being equally presumptuous.

No, that's not accurate. All the evidence points one way. That doesn't mean, like, don't look into how this guy died, but any two viewpoints are not always equally reasonable. The one that's more likely based on the evidence is actually just more likely.

There was a This American Life where cops harassed and got institutionalized one of their own who refused to purposely book people for petty charges and made recordings that proved corruption in his precinct. That shit was chilling. I had no trust for cops before this, but I think this story is what broke me. If this is what they do to cops who are honest, can you imagine the shit they do that we never know about?

Call me a person who just wants to fill a narrative if you want, but I've heard enough shit about cops that I'm willing to believe anything that they're accused of if the evidence is there to support it. I'm not saying that it's the case here, but I think there is enough here to make it worth further investigation.

studyguy

Fresno's fucking crazy.
The whole Central Valley is fucking nuts depending on where you go, it's like farmlands to methlabs easy.

Pandy

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.
It's trite, but I was going to post this.

Paranoid people are more likely to be the ones that build up a body of evidence, however flimsy, which raises suspicion over their own deaths.
The non-paranoid people, meanwhile, die in terrible accidents. No need for a detailed autopsy on this one, doc.

I have no idea of the truth of this, but if the accusation has been made and a man is dead in suspicious circumstances. It should automatically be investigated by an outside agency.

No, that's not accurate. All the evidence points one way. That doesn't mean, like, don't look into how this guy died, but any two viewpoints are not always equally reasonable. The one that's more likely based on the evidence is actually just more likely.

Exactly. Of course his death should be investigated. I don't think anyone would advocate just saying "Suicide. Open and shut." I certainly wouldn't downplay the possibility that he was murdered. But the claims of being murdered by the police have no credible evidence to back them up. All we really have is the word of a man who took video of a garbage truck stopping near his house and extrapolated that police were going to claim to have found stolen items in his garbage. It's not that I believe police are incapable of harassing anyone or anything like that, but you really have to ask why the police would murder him (and do so by means of an elaborate conspiracy) over some comments on a newspaper website and a blog that looks to have had an audience consisting primarily of the "targeted individual" community, i.e., other people suffering from paranoid delusions. This isn't even close to a 50/50 thing.

minx

So you think it was a suicide?

This would be the most likely scenario considering he "called" his death along with his mental illness. My wife works with people with mental illnesses and she stated he has numerous red flags for schizophrenia. More evidence regarding the stab wounds etc. are needed to make a 100% sure decision though.

Blizzard

Banned
This would be the most likely scenario considering he "called" his death along with his mental illness. My wife works with people with mental illnesses and she stated he has numerous red flags for schizophrenia. More evidence regarding the stab wounds etc. are needed to make a 100% sure decision though.
What's the explanation for the video of the black SUV in front of the house, etc.? Elaborate fake?

This is ridiculous. We--meaning the posters in this thread--do not have ALL of the evidence. You can't even begin to assert with any reasonable degree of certainty the likelihood of what actually happened without examining all the evidence. That's the point of an investigation; so that all evidence can be confiscated and extrapolations concerning the case can be made, including things like motive and probability.

And I never said that any two viewpoints are equally reasonable. I was specifically talking about the viewpoints expressed in this thread, which were equally PRESUMPTUOUS (note, this does not mean that they are equally reasonable).

Once all of the evidence has been presented, then we can talk about how likely it is that he was responsible for his own death. Until then, we're merely in the realm of possibilities.

1. I mean, if somebody posts saying the earth is flat, I don't need to go dig out my astrolabe. I read the blog, it's a textbook paranoid schizophrenic gangstalking narrative. You can find almost the same story on other websites with a few names swapped out by other delusional people. I doubted the videos would matter. Then I watched them and I was totally right. They didn't matter. So I think I did exactly the right amount of research before you messed it up by complaining!

2. I mean, the guy who died is alleging a conspiracy. A pretty crazy one. He's not just saying the police killed him, he's saying they did it as part of an elaborate gang stalking operation. So yeah, I guess you could do an independent investigation, but you understand the reason you'd want that is because you're giving credence to a crazy conspiracy theory, right?

you are an extremely dangerous person

I think what he means is that refusing to conduct an independent investigation into the death of an insane person purely on the basis that the person is insane is irresponsible, and if left unchecked, yes, that line of thinking could be dangerous. It does not matter if the person is insane or not, all evidence related to the crime scene must be combed over with a fine-toothed comb and thoroughly vetted. Neglecting these very basic tenets of investigative work is simply begging for corruption.

Furthermore, conflict of interest is something to be considered in any investigation the moment there is any information that suggests that the investigator may have some kind of connection to the case. It is always better to err on the side of caution in the interest of being as objective as possible because if there IS indeed a conflict of interest, and the relevant party is responsible for the investigation, the integrity of the investigation is already compromised. As an example, if an insane woman files a police report accusing a police officer of sexual harassment, you don't have the police officer she's referring to take her police report anyway just because she's insane.

I'm utterly appalled at the dismissive tone and attitude on display with some of the posters in this thread and I hope that the detectives actually assigned to this case are appreciably more level-headed than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom