• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th review thread

http://opencritic.com/game/4276/friday-the-13th-the-game?tab=1

Opencritic: 67
Metacritic (PC): 68

PlayStation lifestyle 4.5/10
Friday the 13th: The Game shouldn't have been released in the sad state it currently is in. From glitches that make players invincible to terrible matchmaking that had me waiting over 10 minutes to get into a room, it's putting it nicely to call the end product a mess. It's really heartbreaking to see since there are still positives that mange to shine through if one can look past the galling lack of polish. The core gameplay, when it works properly, can be fun when played with friends, and there are some refreshing ideas underneath the jank. Several months from now it may become the multiplayer hit it strives to be, but right now it's an embarrassing release that can't be recommended.
CGMagazine 8.5/10
Friday the 13th: The Game functions both as a gleefully sadistic multiplayer horror title and a love letter to some of cinema's most beloved schlock.
IGN Spain 6.8/10
The main problem with the video game of Friday 13, beyond that the ambiance is quite achieved but perhaps it deepens little in the history and the mythology related to Jason, is that it only has a unique way of game, reason why easily in a Single game you could have seen all that the video game has to offer you. The balance system does not hold up and Jason always has to win. We try to compensate for the lack of content with a system of progression that encourages us to play for many games, but will not leave aside the feeling of repetitiveness.

Hardcore Gamer 6/10
Players can absolutely see the incredible potential of Friday the 13th: The Game. When the game works without issue, it provides a fantastic, tense experience unlike other asymmetrical horror games on the market.
GameZone 5/10
Despite being a fun game at its core (even with some issues presented in gameplay), a number of bugs and glitches in Friday the 13th: The Game make it hard to enjoy.
IGN 6.9/10
When you're playing as Jason, this is unquestionably the best Friday the 13th game ever made. I really appreciate the genuine love for the franchise on display here. Hunting down players and executing them in spectacularly gory scenes is an homage that warms my lifelong Friday-fan heart. But the fun of its asymmetrical multiplayer-only action is heavily skewed toward Jason, which means you'll mostly be stuck playing as teens rummaging through drawers. Despite that lopsided gameplay and some pretty heinous glitches, there is some dumb fun to be had here – which is all the movies ever really offered, anyway.
Eurogamer No score
A thrilling and creative multiplayer horror, Friday the 13th's compelling emergent play is hindered by a half-baked launch.
PC Gamer 75/100
What’s there now, though, is great fun with the right group. It’s twice the price of Dead by Daylight, but with richer comedic potential and more to do in any given match—I haven't even covered all the tactical considerations, such as managing fear, or turning on radios in cabins to trick Jason's super senses into thinking they contain a counselor. At $40/£30 it definitely isn't a steal, but for chatty entertainers who enjoy multiplayer storytelling over technical perfection, Friday the 13th can be thrilling, stupid, and hilarious.

One of the best multiplayer games in history, one of the worst technical blunders in history.

It's a damn shame but once everything's fixed up, this is going to be a hit.

One of the best multiplayer games in history, one of the worst technical blunders in history.

I don't think that's how it works, unfortunately.

Looks neat, but fighting games decided that they were all going to come out at this time so I'm holding off.

Then maybe they shouldn't have released it yet?
They definitely shouldn't have and believe me, I am the last person who is defending the state the game is in. Despite that though, when it actually works, I have already had some of the most insane, hysterical emergent gameplay experiences I have ever had.

What's here is super rough and it's going to need a heap of work to fix - the developers definitely need to be held accountable too - but the core here is so, so great.

Then maybe they shouldn't have released it yet?

Probably pressured to release it, imo. Game got delayed once already (sounds like a certain AAA title releasing in September].

Edit: since people are asking, Destiny 2.

Jason Schrier rumor about Destiny 2

Also, I stand corrected about the pressure part. Thought that Gun Media had a publisher in addition to kickstarting funds, but that might've been for Summer Camp (or an entirely different game altogether). Sorry for the derail.

Madness

early footage of the game looked like trash. i hope it does well, but if it doesnt i wont be surprised

The game looks like the beta, but I am surprised they weren't able to improve it that much. Some of the same cheap mechanics players called out they continued into the release.

Keep in mind they are a small indie dev. Plus, they had enough foresight to make the digital game less than the physical. Giant Friday the 13th fan, watched over 100+ hours of the beta, but I will hold off it seems until the kinks fixed, maybe a lowered price.

The poor servers are going to cause a majority of outlets to give it poor scores. I waited last night for seven hours just to get into the main menu, then spent 25 minutes looking for a game only to play for ten minutes before the host quit. Oh, there's no host migration: it just straight up boots you to the main menu. This afternoon I was able to get on and play a few games, but when I left to pick up some food I was met with more database issues. That was two hours ago, by the way.

It's a shame. When the game works, it's the most fun I've had with a multiplayer title in a long time. They should have delayed this, or had a beta involving consoles. I'm also surprised the rights holder (be it New Line or Paramount) didn't step in to help with the game. This can (and hopefully will) be a stable experience in the next few weeks, but this weekend is a black mark on what could be the sleeper hit of the year.

Shambala

I'm sorry after a few games I'm already bored. It's really worth like $10-$15 to be honest in this state. That's my opinion

Cfer

Neo Member
I was showing my brother people playing on twitch yesterday and we were having a good laugh. We are both horror movie nerds but also not really sociable. Would we get anything out of this? Is anything redeemable?

Simo

I didn't put too much time into the game yet as when I tried Friday the servers were down and I was also waiting for friends to get home this weekend who intend on getting it and i didn't want to get too far ahead.

I experienced a couple of bugs mainly in the kill sequences where my head got off with an axe but then my body rocketed into outer space apparently. The second glitch I killed a counselor hiding under a bed and while the sequencen was cool it was somewhat ruined in the aftermath when the dead counselor teleported from under the bed to be standing on it in the T pose...The game obviously isn't ready and Gun and Illfonic should of done a soft launch for just backers so that these server issues could of been identified in a smaller base instead of throwing it out there with no console beta or idea and their servers crumbling.

That said, even with jank and glitches, I've had a blast. The core gameplay is a blast as every round as a counselor feels tense, and even got a jump when Jason suddenly turned the corner outside the cabin when I wasn't expected. Ditto to when you're Jason and hunting down the players. My first time I killed all but one player who got in the car to escape and i felt like I was reenacting a movie as I sprung from the bushes into the road in front of the car, scaring the player who swerved uncontrollably as I took a swipe at the car with the axe. Alas he managed to get away.

I was showing my brother people playing on twitch yesterday and we were having a good laugh. We are both horror movie nerds but also not really sociable. Would we get anything out of this? Is anything redeemable?

Huge fan of the franchise. Love every game I get in. the jank and rough edges in gameplay I can ignore, but the server issues are horrendous. If you aren't playing with a mic or don't plan to, then the game isn't for you.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit

you can still talk in game without having to talk about anything other then the objectives so no pressure really or you could just queue up with your brother and dont say anything to anyone else

It's a fun game hampered by some really strange bugs. I hope they get the kinks ironed out quickly but I'm not confident they can with such a small team.

Still, I don't feel cheated since I paid $25 for the early bird backer code. $40 is a bit much until they fix it, though.

Occam

They should not allow people without mic to play. I got into a session with 7 voiceless people this aftenoon and it was unplayable. You need to coordinate by talking in this game.

wig

I was interested in the game after watching some gameplay on Twitch. I was about to buy it but I'm glad that I didn't now. Sad to hear about the issues on consoles.

HiiiLife

Basically. When it works it's so fun. But I think 40 was way too much. Especially for the state it's currently in.

I fully expect the single player to be added next year.

groansey

When it works it's great but needs polish and regular content updates.

The core game is a lot better than Dead By Daylight. It's a really unique multiplayer game and great for slasher fans. But hard for any review to be able to accurately judge it right now.

Give it a week or two the server/account issues will be sorted and they can start improving the game itself.

Bought the game at launch and still couldn't play a match :(

Been watching some footage and the game looks amazing despite being kinda janky. I hope the bad launch doesn't kill this game outright, and that they manage to make it work soon.

Wagram

No idea why the developers thought this was in any shape or form ready for release.

Just another Kickstarter blunder to add to the pile.

I give it an 8.5 personally, playing 8 people with a a mic is the most fun I've had with multiplayer with a long time.
Edit: but yes it does deserve the low scores for the terrible state it is in currently.

Metalmarc

Looks fun so long as you aren't expecting a graphical masterpiece, though i am going to wait for that late summer patch they said they are bringing that includes single player and offline bots

The Friday the 13th game we always wanted

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
The core game is absolutely fantastic in my opinion, but the issues surrounding it really bring it down. It really bums me out to see them struggling with the game, but I hope things get fixed promptly before it's too late :(

They should not allow people without mic to play. I got into a session with 7 voiceless people this aftenoon and it was unplayable. You need to coordinate by talking in this game.
On console they might be in a party. Restricting Party Chat this gen is an instant certification fail.

The Jim Sterling video is sooo damning. But the game looks hilarious

I'm watching game ranx's review and its still bad but I think I'm interested.

Hoje0308

Banned

It's a damn shame but once everything's fixed up, this is going to be a hit

Even if it's fixed soon, the community will likely have moved on by then and no one else will give two shits about that game they heard awful things about back in May. Not with so many high profile games on the way. I hope I'm wrong, especially as I'd like to get in when things are running better, but I really think chances are slim that this story ends well.

lastplace09

Neo Member
This is a game all about emergent game play. I can look past the graphics and the frame drops and the jitters.

I can't look past the fact that my progress was wiped. It takes 5-10 minutes to connect to the game.

I also can't look past the people trying to stream this game and pretend they are Pewdiepie by screaming in my freaking ears. MUTE MUTE MUTE

It's a shame so many people won't be willing to give the game a shot after it's fixed. It truly is one of the most fun multiplayer experiences ever.

SURGEdude

Why developers think it's a smart idea to release busted games and fix them later is a great idea. Sure the core might be good but even if they do get around to fixing it it will be dead by then.

Major franchises can sometimes get away with that, stuff like this? They fucked up and it's gonna cost the game's prospects significantly.

Top Bottom