• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Texas Chain Saw Massacre Won't Shut Down Like Friday The 13th, Dev Insists

havoc00

Sumo Nottingham and Gun Media, the team behind the survival horror game The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, has reassured fans that it won't get shut down like Friday the 13th: The Game did.

In an interview, Gun Media's creative director Ronnie Hobbs told PCGamesN, "The situation surrounding Friday the 13th was inherently more complicated than it is with Texas." Hobbs explains that things are entirely different this time because they "are dealing directly with Kim Henkel, the sole owner of the IP. We've been working closely with him during the entire process not only from a creative standpoint, but also a legal one. We have been as diligent as possible during this entire experience to ensure things go smoothly."

Earlier this year, it was announced that Friday The 13th: The Game would be delisted and shut down because the license Gun Media had for Friday the 13th is set to expire at the end of this year, and there are no plans to renew it. But it can still be played until December 31, 2024.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Sure Jan GIF

MiguelItUp

I mean, it's true. The Friday the 13th thing is a huge mess that unfortunately affected them because the case just happened to start not too long after they released the Friday the 13th game. It's not going to just happen to every IP. As a big fan of the F13 brand, that's one of the main reasons why we haven't seen a new film in so long. The rights with the IP have been a mess for awhile, but Sean Cunningham and Victor Miller's case just screwed everything up even more so.

Last edited:

havoc00

I mean, it's true. The Friday the 13th thing is a huge mess that unfortunately affected them because the case just happen to start not too long after they released Friday the 13th. It's not going to just happen to every IP. As a big fan of the F13 brand, that's one of the main reasons why we haven't seen a new film in so long. Sean Cunningham and Victor Miller's case just screwed everything up.
The last Friday movie was just meh wish they did more with it

NickFire

Just wait for it to be part of a sub, decline all microtransactions, and everything will be fine if this stops getting supported like F13 was.

MiguelItUp

Yeah, but it was also just a remake. I never even bothered to watch it because I just didn't like the vibe of it at all. There have been so many things coming and going, but the rights have just been such a mess. The court case just made everything worse.

Laieon

I think the fact Gun has stuck with FT13th this long despite the tumultuous hill that has been the lawsuits surrounding the Franchise rights deserves a hell of a lot more than a "Sure Jan". Who knows if there would have even been a Texas Chain Saw game had they been allowed to continue development on Friday the 13th. Friday the 13th: The Game didn't die because of any decision that was Gun's fault.

It's my second favorite in the series (2 is my favorite overall). I tend to prefer Woodsman-Jason over Zombie-Jason though, and I think 2009 is arguably the most Woodsman Jason the series has ever been.

Last edited:
Top Bottom