• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game Coming to Nintendo Switch This Spring.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://variety.com/2019/gaming/news/friday-the-13th-the-game-nintendo-switch-release-1203153811/

Friday the 13th: The Game” is coming to Nintendo Switch this Spring with the release of “Friday the 13th: The Game Ultimate Slasher Switch Edition,” developer Gun Media tells Variety.

The upcoming edition includes all released content and paid DLC, including every Jason Kill Pack, both Counselor Clothing Packs, and the Emote Party Pack. It does not the include Kickstarter backer exclusive “Savini Jason” character or the backer exclusive clothing pack.

“We’re happy to be bringing ‘Friday the 13th: The Game’ to the Nintendo Switch with the help of our partners at Black Tower and Nighthawk. The Nintendo Switch offers a unique experience, in both social settings and on the go, that we feel work very well with ‘Friday the 13th: The Game,'” said Daniel Nixon, Gun Media’s Director of Communications.

“We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock,” said Creative Director Wes Keltner at the time. “We can only focus on console-dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance. I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth.”

iconmaster

Banned
FreshObedientDromedary-size_restricted.gif

I didn't understand the last part of your quote until I looked at the interview. There's some legal action around the IP going on, so they can't add further DLC. (But apparently they can port to other platforms, which seems odd.)

The Snake

This could be interesting. I'm a huge Friday fan but I didn't pick up the game when it came out--despite it literally being the idea for a game I came up with in middle school :messenger_grinning_squinting:

I did however play it when it went free on PS Plus, and it's actually pretty good. The idea is solid of course. The game is just a little rough around the edges and amateurish (the counselor character models are horrendous for example). With some polish it could definitely be perfected over time.

I didn't understand the last part of your quote until I looked at the interview. There's some legal action around the IP going on, so they can't add further DLC. (But apparently they can port to other platforms, which seems odd.)

I won't bore anybody with details, but the lawsuit boils down to a copyright law that allows artists to re-negotiate rights to their works after 35 years. The writer of the original screen play rightfully deserves a lot more compensation than he was given (back when they simply bought his screenplay with no one knowing it would be an iconic franchise), and now the production companies who own Friday are suing him so that they don't have to pay him any more than the shitty 70's money they gave him back in the day.

So the rights are kinda up in the air right now.

The Snake

Is this free to play or online only or single-player? How does this game work?

There are some offline modes but the game is really designed to be played online, like Battlefront and what-have-you.

I assume the Nintendo Online service is required to play online.

kunonabi

This probably one port I will get. Never bought the ps4 version due to the legal trouble and it's the only ps+ game I have. All the dlc is very nice.

LUXURY

Lmfao. Do not buy this. And this is coming from someone who has played over 1,000 hours. The game is riddled with bugs and almost all support has been dropped. Absolutely boring without online. Not worth whatever price for 10 simple challenges with brainless bots that run into boulders for 20 minutes.

Lmfao. Do not buy this. And this is coming from someone who has played over 1,000 hours. The game is riddled with bugs and almost all support has been dropped. Absolutely boring without online. Not worth whatever price for 10 simple challenges with brainless bots that run into boulders for 20 minutes.

They released an update a couple weeks ago that fixed the server issues.

BTHR Zero X

They released an update a couple weeks ago that fixed the server issues.
As a PS4 Player they sure as hell didn't, sure it won't take me 30 mins for it to kick in to a match but 15 - 20. There are bugs where the car will fall into the world and put you out of bounds, players getting to untouchable areas so Jason can not get you. Teamers helping Jason to win and none get punished.

I got the game back in 2017 and I honestly think instead of porting it they should work out the bugs that are still going on 2 years later,

As a PS4 Player they sure as hell didn't, sure it won't take me 30 mins for it to kick in to a match but 15 - 20. There are bugs where the car will fall into the world and put you out of bounds, players getting to untouchable areas so Jason can not get you. Teamers helping Jason to win and none get punished.

I got the game back in 2017 and I honestly think instead of porting it they should work out the bugs that are still going on 2 years later,

I tried a couple times after the update and got Into full games after 1 minute, before the update it was almost impossible to find a game. Have not seen the bugs you speak of but I have seen people cooperating with Jason several times, obviously friends, not sure how to fix that problem.

dolabla

This is amazing. I wonder if it's going to be physical? I supported this game on kickstarter (physical) and love it.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Slander for this game is unreal. I jumped in on January last year and got two additional updates of content then the lawsuit happened. I played it for a solid 6 months regularly, I was mad at first about the lawsuit but it's come to pass. The devs can't do anything about it & just focus on trying to fix the game now. It's still fairly active on PS4.

I imagine it will sell but run like ass on Switch. It's a decent game. I know they said if the lawsuit comes to a close they still won't add content but if they asked for a hand out to show fan interest you best believe I'd throw them £50.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
If the community is as bad as it on the other platforms, I advise everyone to stay as far away as possible. It's filled with nothing but people that abuse glitches and run over you intentionally with the cars. Literally just played four matches in a row that ended with another playing running me over just for shits and giggles.

Not to mention it's HEAVILY reliant on voice chat and coordination, so I can imagine it being an absolute headache to play on the Switch if it doesn't support the voice chat app.

Last edited:

Gifmaker

Now that's unexpected, I didn't know about this. I bought it like 2 weeks ago in a steam sale because I had been curious for a while now. It's fun, but very unpolished, and judging from the videos above, the Switch port will be as well. Also, I think the gameplay can get old pretty quickly as you will have seen almost everything the game has to offer within a couple of hours.

Still, I am considering it just for the hell of it, maybe I can get a couple of friends to play it on Switch. Might be cool for Halloween or something.

How is this even a thing? I thought there was some sort of legal pissing match for the rights to F13th that was preventing any further development or sale of the game and DLC?

azz0r

Banned
I played hundreds of hours on this on PS4. One patch towards the end broke my ability to get in the game. Their support is terrible.

Will be avoiding this, despite wanting it.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
How is this even a thing? I thought there was some sort of legal pissing match for the rights to F13th that was preventing any further development or sale of the game and DLC?
They can't add any new content, that's the only restriction they've been hit with.

NECA also can't make any new Friday the 13th figures, so they seem to just be reissuing the figures they've already made.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Gambit2483

You can play the multiplayer stuff with bots and there’s a hitman-like challenge mode

Thanks! I may end up checking this out before it becomes gone forever...another reason I'm not looking forward to an all digital future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom