• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friday the 13th: The Game |OT| You and your friends are dead. GAME OVER

Some guy just started to hit me randomly and tried to kill me. When he filled the car with gas, I quickly started it and drove off alone, leaving him behind with Jason approaching.

Later I saw him running by the street. Ran him over.

Felt good.

Voorhees

Yup. It's something I've ranted about before. You can be upset that something isn't working but some of these assholes down right wish death, job loss, their children dying on them, etc just because a mistake was made. The sad thing is these devs have been very good at communicating to everyone about fixing it yet they're getting shit like that wished on them and being told how they should fix it or hire a shitload of new people to fix it with the billions they've obviously made. It's absolutely disgusting how some people act.

What's sad is the ignorance of how it actually works. I mean they straight up broke down exactly how they calculated the metrics as far as backers, betas etc and came to an figure for estimated users. Then triple that show up, borking it. They have been tweeting, posting on FB nonstop, communicating every step of the way all weekend and all i see are basically two things.

OMG learn to program

Buy more servers

ElRenoRaven

driving feels broken to me

Driving is supposed to be difficult. You're a fear filled teenager trying to drive a broken down piece of shit you just patched back to gather. I actually like the challenge of it even though I suck at it.

What's sad is the ignorance of how it actually works. I mean they straight up broke down exactly how they calculated the metrics as far as backers, betas etc and came to an figure for estimated users. Then triple that show up, borking it. They have been tweeting, posting on FB nonstop, communicating every step of the way all weekend and all i see are basically two things.

OMG learn to program

Buy more servers

Yup. I've seen learn to fucking program, you should have had a huge stress test, you should hire a shitload of new guys since you can afford it to fix it, and of course the other vile shit I mentioned. It's like people don't realize you can't just fix this shit in 5 minutes and more so when on consoles you're dealing with Sony & Microsoft Q&A and deployment teams.

It's like people don't realize you can't just fix this shit in 5 minutes and more so when on consoles you're dealing with Sony & Microsoft Q&A and deployment teams.
Yup at the last part. I've been seeing console players saying the devs are prioritizing PC over console, which is probably why the devs had to mention that in the last update.

It astounds me that there are still "hardcore" gamers that don't know about certification and Q&A on consoles. It's the same ignorance that causes people to complain that Overwatch's PTR and BF1's CTE aren't on console.

HiiiLife

I wonder how many of us would be level 30 by now if the matches actually finished all the way through without crashes or disconnects.

Voorhees

Yup. I've seen learn to fucking program, you should have had a huge stress test, you should hire a shitload of new guys since you can afford it to fix it, and of course the other vile shit I mentioned. It's like people don't realize you can't just fix this shit in 5 minutes and more so when on consoles you're dealing with Sony & Microsoft Q&A and deployment teams.

Oh I almost forgot my person favorite.

"You should give us all free skins, Jason's, DLC as reward"

Hubble

I understand the game had issues at launch but the game released Friday, right? It seems to have been fixed fast. I know it is unacceptable for the game to have problems on launch, however, I bought the game yesterday and have completed several matches without problem.

HiiiLife

People on twitter really complaining about groups of 8 trying kill Jason. Lol. If I'm in a party chat with my buddies, and we wanna expirement trying to kill Jason, in my own private lobby, we're doing it.

Not everybody is trying to farm xp or get meaningless badges.

ElRenoRaven

I understand the game had issues at launch but the game released Friday, right? It seems to have been fixed fast. I know it is unacceptable for the game to have problems on launch, however, I bought the game yesterday and have completed several matches without problem.

Yup it released Friday. They got a patch yesterday morning which got like 95 percent of the people in. They're having to fix the last 5 percent by hand. Anyone playing new post that should not have the issues. Their server melted down and there was data corruption which was causing the log in issue.

There are still some issues but they're being worked on. The game has some bugs, etc. It's not perfect. They're a small team though and working on fixing them. If I had to bet I figure their next game down the road they'll insanely over estimate demand just to avoid a repeat of this launch.

How do you spectate Jason once you die? PS4 version

I swear I seen someone on twitch doing it.

Can't in public games. You can in private games though.

KDC720

Played a lot more of it and I echo the general sentiment. Much like the movies it's based on, the game be can pretty rough at times, but super fun when everything clicks.

I really hope they get these server issues ironed out on console though because nothing pains me more than getting disconnected when I'm about to escape or kill the last survivor as Jason, or having the game crash after spending 10 minutes trying to find a match.

We had one one guy yesterday on the mic telling everyone that jason was after him so everyone was safe in going after the car with our supplies. Turns out, he was trying to save his own skin as Jason shows up at the car and the entire group gets betrayed with batteries and keys left beside our corpses and the car after everyone dies.

Betrayer was surprised after the game that everyone trusted him so easily.

We had a similar situation with a kid who sounded quite young. Was throwing everyone under the bus one round. From then on out it, even though I don't think many of us in the group knew each other, whoever became Jason let everyone live until that kid died. Then Jason went after everyone else. Funny thing was I don't think any of us actually rat on his location in those rounds either, we would just say "nope, I'm __" and each person playing Jason would leave.

Hubble

Yup it released Friday. They got a patch yesterday morning which got like 95 percent of the people in. They're having to fix the last 5 percent by hand. Anyone playing new post that should not have the issues. Their server melted down and there was data corruption which was causing the log in issue.

There are still some issues but they're being worked on. The game has some bugs, etc. It's not perfect. They're a small team though and working on fixing them. If I had to bet I figure their next game down the road they'll insanely over estimate demand just to avoid a repeat of this launch.

Can't in public games. You can in private games though.

Obviously it sucks to have the weekend botched, but I do think the issue has been solved quick enough in a few days. People need to relax.

Levito

Banned
Man Bikeman was on point this morning. He was calling out this shithead who came into the chat to shit all over the game and those playing it. He spit some mad truth bombs the only way he can.

Truthbomb 1
Truthbomb 2
Truthbomb 3

I definitely agree on all accounts. The game is having troubles and I really feel for the folks that are getting the DB issues, but the vitriol the dev team is getting from the community is so uncalled for.

HiiiLife

Everytime you're fixing up the car & Tiffany Cox says "thank god it fit"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

or is it "fixed"?

Edit: don't ever attempt to fix anything with her again

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Been playing this game for hours and never realized you can get maps from the damn kiosk at the cabin lol

I saw that thing and I already had a map, and I thought hey I wonder...

Never thought about doing it again, definitely good to know!

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
driving feels broken to me

Driving is very dependent on your ping to the host because of the peer to peer networking structure. If you are 120+ ping, it's going to be very hard to control due to lag.

If you are hosting, the car is so much easier to control.

norm9

Driving is very dependent on your ping to the host because of the peer to peer networking structure. If you are 120+ ping, it's going to be very hard to control due to lag.

If you are hosting, the car is so much easier to control.

Guess I won't be driving anytime soon. My ping usually stays steady between 150-200. Sometimes it bumps up to above 200 while everyone else is still in the white and I worry host will kick me. Nobody's done it yet but whenever lobby talk turns to lag, I get nervous I'm gonna get pointed out and kicked.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Guess I won't be driving anytime soon. My ping usually stays steady between 150-200. Sometimes it bumps up to above 200 while everyone else is still in the white and I worry host will kick me. Nobody's done it yet but whenever lobby talk turns to lag, I get nervous I'm gonna get pointed out and kicked.

Well, you're going to have to drive. You'd rather just die?

You just need to be a lot more careful with the shitty controls if you're not hosting.

I hate playing with people that don't try to escape and just hide to get by. There was a player that was literally hiding in the tent for the entire duration of the round.

I hate playing with people that don't try to escape and just hide to get by. There was a player that was literally hiding in the tent for the entire duration of the round.
Once more people become accustomed to Jason's abilities, hiding will be near suicide for counselors.

Juking is the real way to play.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
It's a viable tactic if you're the last person alive and with no fear while waiting for the timer to run down. It's boring to watch, but it works.

Levito

Banned

Honestly that's partly on the Jason player. If you use his sense ability the tents will light up.

Playing as Jason is a lot tougher than a lot of people think it is, I think.

norm9

It's a viable tactic if you're the last person alive and with no fear while waiting for the timer to run down. It's boring to watch, but it works.

I agree. Same as in the old socom games. If you're last one alive, just play for time. I got anxious one time holed up safe one time and started making moves and thas when jason gets you.

BTW, how does hiding in tents work? Does your fear still go up at the same rate if you were outside? Does it glow red for Jason like the cabins?

Never seen someone use them so idk.

GravyButt

Does gaf have a ps4 community? If so can invite me? Gravybutt88

How do I join a game from a community? First time using the feature

Disgraced

I love attempting to fortify a cabin for a siege when transport is a no. Scrambling for as many beartraps, firecrackers, and pocket knives possible. Methodically locking and opening doors to create an escape route. Digging in the deepest, darkest corner of the place you can find with a flare gun. Even better when you can call Tommy as a reinforcement. Survived one match with that strat.

drotahorror

A viable tactic for what, wasting time? You get no extra XP all you're doing is making your teammates wait longer. It's best to try to fight Jason or do something else that you haven't gotten XP for yet.

norm9

A viable tactic for what, wasting time? You get no extra XP all you're doing is making your teammates wait longer. It's best to try to fight Jason or do something else that you haven't gotten XP for yet.

I'm almost 100% sure you get something for surviving. Or was that escaping only?

drotahorror

I'm almost 100% sure you get something for surviving. Or was that escaping only?

You get basically nothing for staying in the game and lasting for 20 minutes. It'll say 'you survived' but you get none of the xp that comes with actually escaping. Hitting Jason one time with a weapon, a firecracker, a flaregun, etc will be way more XP than staying in the game for 20min and wasting all your teammates time who are waiting for you to die.

A person that hit Jason and escaped a legit way will likely have 300-400 more XP than someone who lasts the whole 20min hiding and doing nothing.

Finally managed to survive a game by calling the cops while Jason was going after a small group that were together. Felt pretty good.

Too bad that was followed by thee games crashing.

Top Bottom