• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRIDAYTON MK II: 5.5 million bears and salmon create unholy allliance to sack SONY HQ

Sony just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about RAM (I'm an expert), but the amount that is useable for devs and OS are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Microsoft where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw gamers over regarding RAM availability, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the gaming public and devs, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase a PS4 or develop for it, they will buy a Xbox One instead which has more RAM available for games. This is HUGE (just like the amount of RAM available for gaming of the XB1 compared to the PS4). You can laugh all you want, but Sony has alienated the entire market with this move.

It's over, period. Sony lost their last ace, and that's the end of their PS4 hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for PS4. Sony has nothing left, nothing they have can fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for anyone, hardcore or casual, to substantially invest in a PS4. Except if they want to play Driveclub. Which will suck because it won't be using 8GB of that glorious GDDR5.

Sony themselves took the last reason away that anyone would NEED to own a PS4 over a Xbox One (except GAIKAI CLOUD LOL GAMING), and the cavalcade of tiny indie titles that will be nice but won't add more RAM, it's just simply not going to salvage the bloated, underdesigned midget that is the PS4

There may be some hardcore gamers that stick around. Some did it for Gamecube too. But the last bell tolled. Maybe next decade.

The age of Sony is done.
KmKiiQh.gif

Requesting the Amir0x treatment:

http://amir0x.ytmnd.com/

Post is golden. Not as good as the original but still.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
February: PS4 has 8gb of GDDR5, the Xbone has 8gb of DDR3. Sony wins.

May: Xbone only has 5gb of the ram for games. The PS4 is assumed to have 7gb (kinda a dumb assumption when you think about it!) Sony wins.

Now: The PS4 has 5.5gb of ram dedicated to games. Xbone still 5gb. Sony loses, cancel your preorder etc.

Apparently you're to assume everyone is just trolling for the lulz.

thuway

Let's assume there is some feature down the road that Sony wants to implement. The question that is then going to be raised is if the feature is worth 1 GB less for developers.

No one can answer that question, but there are a ton of features that are being implemented at the OS level. For example: Vita Remote Play, save states, instant on / off, background updates; etc. etc.

One thing is for sure though: if GAF honestly believes 5 GB of DDR3 = 5 GB GDDR5, and ports will finally start looking the same, than I think we need more than an intervention.

That's fine, I don't care if launch games only use 2gb's of ram. My concern is future proofing future games, not the OS. Sure they may someday open up the partition for games, but they may not. MS could do the same. As I said, I'm not mad, but MS has shown me what that reserve is for, and I don't care for it. Why would I all of a sudden be glad that Sony it's doing the same, but maybe at a lesser quality since the xbox was built from the ground up with this shit in mind? If devs feel that 5gbs give or take is good enough, then I might as well go with the halo box. I thought with the PS4 I was getting a gamers box.

Yes, get the Xbone. Much more of a gamer's box.

Yes. Second Son looks the way it does, in a devkit, running real time on the PS4. If the games don't speak for themselves, the numbers sure as hell won't.

(insert Titanfall joke)

I guess the benefits of giving even more RAM (which is already quite fine) to devs wouldn't balance if PS4 can't compete on the OS front.

And GDDR5 is already a benefit over GDDR3 even in the same quantity

I will implore you to think about this:

This generation Sony was caught with their pants down. No cross game chat, no in-game XMB during movie playback / PS2 or PS1 emulation / or during video chat.

Why? Because they didn't plan or think ahead. Sony will aggressively study the Xbox One when it launches, and I suspect Microsoft will do the same. Both machines are offering enough RAM to developers to cultivate their visions while saving a reserve just in case for any extraneous changes.

This argument does not make sense. Xbox360 had 32MB of RAM reserved for the OS, while Sony had 120 MB initially. If the problem was RAM, then why MS had more OS functionalities with less memory?

That's fine, I don't care if launch games only use 2gb's of ram. My concern is future proofing future games, not the OS. Sure they may someday open up the partition for games, but they may not. MS could do the same. As I said, I'm not mad, but MS has shown me what that reserve is for, and I don't care for it. Why would I all of a sudden be glad that Sony it's doing the same, but maybe at a lesser quality since the xbox was built from the ground up with this shit in mind? If devs feel that 5gbs give or take is good enough, then I might as well go with the halo box. I thought with the PS4 I was getting a gamers box.
I don't think the RAM has something to do with that tbh. It is more about the features, how they are integrated and how the thing is marketed. If you want a "gamers" box that is solely about power build yourself a nice PC.

The bottom line is: PS4 is still way more powerful, devs are happy and Sony's first party is going to show MS where it's at when it comes to graphics just like this gen. Nothing more, nothing less. Eventually the PS4 will have more RAM available for games than the XB1, because that's where Sony's focus still is. Build a console for gamers. For now they are playing it safe, giving developers exactly what they need and reserving the rest for bad days. This goes for the OS and games. You wouldn't see massive improvements in third party games either way, developers are too lazy for that, gamer's box or not. 7GB of RAM or not.

It all comes down to taste and what games you like anyway. For me the PS4 is the only gamer's box, just because I like Sony's first party output way more then MS. For me that difference doesn't come because of power. It comes because I think they make the better and more varied games.

Ok, I told myself I would stay away but I had to come back to address this. How does this affect you as a consumer in any way outside of a dick measuring contest? You and everyone else acting just as silly's assumption is that in the future, games are going to exponentially explode and need 5-6GBs of RAM when in reality, devs will maximize what they have and take the extra GB if they need it. This is all assuming that the rumor is true.

It effects me as a consumer simply because there is ram allocated to functions I may or may not want over features I do. It shows regardless of Sonys messaging, they are just as committed to being an all in one box, rather than concentrating all their resources into doing one thing really well.

prwxv3

No one can answer that question, but there are a ton of features that are being implemented at the OS level. For example: Vita Remote Play, save states, instant on / off, background updates; etc. etc.

One thing is for sure though: if GAF honestly believes 5 GB of DDR3 = 5 GB GDDR5, and ports will finally start looking the same, than I think we need more than an intervention.

Some are just trying to downplay the bandwidth gap by bringing up the latency issue already.

glenn8

Banned
hell the only thing that made me give huge respect to consoles was the os part. a small ass os, the rest for gaming. but this is far from being small, it takes a bit less than my pc with shitload stuff and games running.
i see the xbone going more aio hence 3gb for 3 os, but i thought at least the ps4 would have more ram(6.5 to 7)

the thing was ps4 could have done a lot greater in both exclusives and even cross titles. it would have pushed the gaming scene even more, ecen xbox would profit on that. but now theyre on the same limited boat.

for that huge amount of reserved ram i want an aio device sony hope you can deliver

thuway

This argument does not make sense. Xbox360 had 32MB of RAM reserved for the OS, while Sony had 120 MB initially. If the problem was RAM, then why MS had more OS functionalities with less memory?

Microsoft designs operation systems for a living. More importantly, the foundation of Xbox Live was built around features like cross game chat, achievements, and the friends list on an OS level. Sony is no where near as good as MS at designing an operation system, but the goal of the PS4 is to make something appealing to the gamer, but competent for the mass market.

If that is true the implications are terrible. It will probably record at a low bitrate to make it all fit in RAM and PQ will suffer.

Edit: A good quality 720p stream with mpeg-4 compression is around 5Mbps. For 15 minutes of footage that would require over 500MB of RAM to be reserved for recording.
Suddenly it makes sense why they reserved such a large amount for the OS. Just saying ;)

From what Shinobi said with his source, the OS is 1.5gb of RAM. Sony is reserving an additional 1gb for potential OS growth.
So then what is the flexi-RAM about?

Additionally - I have no idea if this is the case but have seen people say it, doesn't the Vita OS shrink dramatically whilst in a game, can the same principle not be applied here?

It's what I assumed the flexible RAM was, that if needed the OS and background apps can shrink by 1GB.

Jarmel

Banned

There isn't an answer to it as nobody can predict the future. It's just a little worrisome for me, that the cap might be lowered when this is the system we're dealing with for the next 7 years or so.

Only idiots are thinking that DDR3=DDR5.

TheD

The Detective
Both Sony and Microsoft will do this. To add more fuel to the fire, both will upclock their GPU's in the future to prevent titles from looking like antiquated portraits in the coming years. A 100 or even 200 mhz upclock could make throw you into a whole new world of awesome.

You have NFI do you?

There is no reason what so ever to not run a home console system at it's max clocks at launch only to up the clockspeed later!

RedAssedApe

Banned
It effects me as a consumer simply because there is ram allocated to functions I may or may not want over features I do. It shows regardless of Sonys messaging, they are just as committed to being an all in one box, rather than concentrating all their resources into doing one thing really well.
I don't know what this means...over what features?

diffusionx

Gold Member

Sony has usage data on what people do with their machines. All evidence shows that people use their consoles for a lot more than playing videogames. Sony is just giving people what they want, and don't want to be caught flat-footed again.

Satchel

Banned
3GB for the OS as well? Awesome. Means we will get nice changes, and a snappy OS.

Because the current OS looks like a Facebookenstein.

bebop242

I will implore you to think about this:

This generation Sony was caught with their pants down. No cross game chat, no in-game XMB during movie playback / PS2 or PS1 emulation / or during video chat.

Why? Because they didn't plan or think ahead. Sony will aggressively study the Xbox One when it launches, and I suspect Microsoft will do the same. Both machines are offering enough RAM to developers to cultivate their visions while saving a reserve just in case for any extraneous changes.
thats how I read into this. Sony wants to be flexible and everyone that screamed for cross game chat for the ps3 should understand this.

Xbudz

HHG just confirmed "through his sources" that the EG reported OS Vs. Game ram allocation is false.

Who are his sources?

HHG used one of his E3 videos to take a quote from an admitted non-coder so he could latch onto this current PS4 dRAMa so people would watch his ad-sponsored video.

The PR [edit: QA person] from Quantic Dream he spoke to simply mentioned they were using half of what's available on PS4, which can be taken a number of ways. There is no confirmation, and his sources is [edit: probably] the PR [edit: QA guy] .

ekim

Can you be more specific on the differences between PS4 and X1 ports?

DC1

So can someone summarize whats going on? The PS4 has 8GB of Ram or 5?
8GB confirmed
R: 5.5 game Vs. 2.5 OS/reserved.

Multiple Sony devs denied the allocation but did not provide clarity.
Still waiting on Sony rebuttal/Clarification.

thuway

There isn't an answer to it as nobody can predict the future. It's just a little worrisome for me, that the cap might be lowered when this is the system we're dealing with for the next 7 years or so.

Only idiots are thinking that DDR3=DDR5.

The only thing I can tell you is that a few developers have even went so far as to say something akin to: "What do we do with ALL OF THIS RAM?"

In two or three years time, expectations will change, and at that time, I expect both machines to optimize operating systems and offer more RAM. I don't know much more to say to you guys, this knee jerk reaction is all over the place.

Developer's are not asking for more, but GAF is? What type of bizzaro world is this.

vazel

Banned
Suddenly it makes sense why they reserved such a large amount for the OS. Just saying ;)
But then what about recording 1080p games? That would mean 1GB of RAM would need to be reserved. Unless the PS4 records 1080p games at 720p which would be lame.

Of course none of this would be an issue if it records straight to the HDD like any other device with DVR functionality.

Wouldn't it just be for any other feature that they want to add down the road? If they want this system to be relevant 5 years from now, new services may emerge that could change things.

Sure, that too. But I think this approach was at least partially used because of the issues they had in responding to MS last gen.

I expect MS has a lot more planned in this area than Sony, but who knows. We'll see.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't know what this means...over what features?

Sony has usage data on what people do with their machines. All evidence shows that people use their consoles for a lot more than playing videogames. Sony is just giving people what they want, and don't want to be caught flat-footed again.

Thank you.

It was a reply to a poster's statement that all this ram business was a dick measuring contest.

? What the hell are you even talking about?

It doesn't, because it has a dedicated chip to do the encoding, my STB has only 128MB of cheap ass RAM and can record or timeshift hours and hours of HD channels owing to the dedicated encoding chip.
The dedicated chip in the PS4 doesn't have any RAM as far as I know. That chip is just going to make sure that no CPU and GPU resources are wasted. The same cannot be said for RAM.

DC1

HHG used one of his E3 videos to take a quote from an admitted non-coder so he could latch onto this current PS4 dRAMa so people would watch his ad-sponsored video.

The PR person from Quantic Dream he spoke to simply mentioned they were using half of what's available on PS4, which can be taken a number of ways. There is no confirmation, and his sources is the PR guy.
Watch again.
He said he called a couple of his Sony sources and they confirmed that they had "much more" GBs for gaming.

edit: it's near the end. He also states that he would like to drop names ..but can't.

Not a apologists.. just making sure that our facts are in order.

I still don't know any numbers so don't read too much into this.

The thing I find funny about this entire thing is that it's totally perception vs reality and a lot of you had no idea you were on the perception side of things.

Sony never said anything about their os size and nor should they. My understanding is that Microsoft never did either, that info came from leaked documents. Sony fans held onto this idea that the os was 1gb despite having no credible source ever mention that. None of the leakers here mentioned anything, no sites of note posted anything. It was basically an urban legend that people took as fact.

At the same time people assumed that the 3gb used by Microsoft was a waste. Why? I have no idea. No developer ever complained about the ram available to them. No website of note complained that it was filled with bloat. Generally speaking everyone in the know expects multiplats to be roughly equal for a year or two atleast. There was never any reason to be upset with ms over their hardware config. If you want to get upset about kinect and the costs associated with that... fine. But the os? There was never any reason to think poorly about it but people did, foolishly.

So here we are and guess what... both OS's are going to use memory. The wii u uses 1gb for fuck's sake, did you guys really think the xbox one or ps4 were going to use less? Especially when both are built around multitasking and recording gameplay. I stream and record stuff on my pc right now and guess what.... when I do that my performance suffers. So to think they wouldn't reserve the space for this (dedicated cores, ram, etc) was silly.

So the perception on gaf was that 7gb of ram was going to be used. The reality is that the number is lower. The perception is that this is something to get upset about. The reality is that devs knew this the entire time they were talking about how developer friendly the box is. Nothing has actually changed except for your perception.

Satchel

Banned
The only thing I can tell you is that a few developers have even went so far as to say something akin to: "What do we do with ALL OF THIS RAM?"

In two or three years time, expectations will change, and at that time, I expect both machines to optimize operating systems and offer more RAM. I don't know much more to say to you guys, this knee jerk reaction is all over the place.

Developer's are not asking for more, but GAF is? What type of bizzaro world is this.

It's beyond ridiculous that you're surprised by the reaction.

Honestly. I can't even tell if you're being defensive, or facetious.

Top Bottom