• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friendly reminder: The Simpsons Marathon is airing right now on FXX, all 552 episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
At first, I kind of wanted The Simpsons to become this future show. Everyone's an adult and there'd be all new stories to tell.
Then Days of Future Future happened... I'd say "kill the show already", but I know it's never going to happen. Even if this incarnation ends, another one will begin. Just like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny. Or Doraemon

I know nothing about that episode, and have a morbid curiosity to see what the hell it is.

It's indescribably bad.

UberTag

I know nothing about that episode, and have a morbid curiosity to see what the hell it is.
The next 90 minutes is a toxic sewer of the worst of modern Simpsons on offer.
And there's always Lisa Goes Gaga / Moonshine River Tim Long-penned double bill later tonight for those who crave more.

At first, I kind of wanted The Simpsons to become this future show. Everyone's an adult and there'd be all new stories to tell.
Then Days of Future Future happened... I'd say "kill the show already", but I know it's never going to happen.
Future episodes can be done well and can be done poorly. The episode that just aired and Days of Future Future represent opposite extremes of that equation.
Frankly, I don't care when in the mystical Simpsons timeline an episode is set so long as there's effort put into it, the characters are treated with respect and some jokes actually hit.

UberTag

I haven't seen this episode. What makes it so terrible?
No jokes hit.

They have a dopey main plot that goes back through historic times (like all of those side story episodes) except this one's so thin it needs a subplot set in modern times where Milhouse gets fed up with Bart belittling him.

Also, Moe was mothered by a yeti, Jeremy Irons gets wasted and some sheep with cursed wool explode or something. It's all a blur I've done my best to black out of my mind.

There's also some pointless Lionel Richie dance sequence at the beginning.

Mr. Doop

No jokes hit.

They have a dopey main plot that goes back through historic times (like all of those side story episodes) except this one's so thin it needs a subplot set in modern times where Milhouse gets fed up with Bart belittling him.

Also, Moe was mothered by a yeti, Jeremy Irons gets wasted and some sheep with cursed wool explode or something. It's all a blur I've done my best to black out of my mind.

There's also some pointless Lionel Richie dance sequence at the beginning.

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick answer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
The "Bart's earned a day off" chalkboard gag is amusing.
And now, ALL THE COUCH GAGS

It's funny how I feel embarasssed for the modern Simpsons because most of the jokes/scenes are really stupid, but classic era I can enjoy alone or with others. It's like how I watch SNL alone because it's mostly really stupid/unfunny skits that make me feel embarasssed just to watch them.

Richie

It's funny how I feel embarasssed for the modern Simpsons because most of the jokes/scenes are really stupid, but classic era I can enjoy alone or with others. It's like how I watch SNL alone because it's mostly really stupid/unfunny skits that make me feel embarasssed just to watch them.

That entire modern seasons have gotten less comments in this thread that individual classic era episodes is very telling.

DarkKyo

I'm still watching it. I have a new found appreciation for newer Simpsons now, seen a couple episodes that I had never seen before that I really liked.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm still watching it. I have a new found appreciation for newer Simpsons now, seen a couple episodes that I had never seen before that I really liked.

Yeah, I've been enjoying these episodes.

Side note but I didn't realize how elaborate the couch gag has become. Some of them are like small skits.

RagnarokX

"You left him because I tipped the boat over and ruined the vacation?"

Bu... Wha... You know why she left! She told you already! It was because she was on the run from the law!

UberTag

"You left him because I tipped the boat over and ruined the vacation?"

Bu... Wha... You know why she left! She told you already! It was because she was on the run from the law!
Try not to overanalyze things. It just leads to pain and misery.

So we've got A Totally Fun Thing That Bart Will Never Do Again as a pretty nice non-formula episode airing at midnight. Steve Coogan has a fun part in it, btw. It's the last of the Matt Warburton episodes. I miss him already.

We have the INFAMOUS Lisa Goes Gaga airing at 1:30am.

Here's some episodes I can recommend from Season 24...

2:30am Treehouse of Horror XXIII - This THOH isn't as good as XX (or the opening acts of XXIV) but it boasts some sweet animation and was nominated for an Emmy
5:00am The Day the Earth Stood Cool - When watching modern-era Simpsons you want to see A) episodes show run by Selman and B) episodes written by a freelancer or one-off writer that will put some effort into them; this happens to be one of the former.
8:00am Hardly Kirk-ing - And this is one of the latter written by long-time staffers and former Seinfeld writers Tom Gammill & Max Pross; Milhouse discovers he can impersonate his father after an epoxy mishap.
12:30pm Dangers on a Train - Marge bonds with a married man (voiced by Seth MacFarlane) on a dating website over a TV show; will probably wind up as a more enjoyable "Family Guy" crossover than the one we're getting next month.

UberTag

Why hasn't there been an episode where the Simpsons crossover into the real world? (i.e. Roger Rabbit)
15543_3_full.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom