• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friends From College | OT | Original Netflix Special

TheContact

uY4XShM.jpg

Friends From College is an original Netflix comedy, created by Nicholas Stoller and Francesca Delbanco. It first Aired on July 14, 2017. Currently there is only one season planned. The creators have plans for a second season but it's up to Netflix to renew it.

It's about a couple that moves back to New York to re-connect with old college friends, but one of them has been having an affair for 20 years with someone from the old college circle, and now that they live next to each other it becomes hard to keep it a secret.

Starring (from left to right)

iWyza6S.png

Fred Savage as Max Adler

Nat Faxon as Nick

Keegan-Michael Key as Ethan Turner

Cobie Smulders as Lisa Turner

Jae Suh Park as Marianne

Annie Parisse as Sam

Guest Starring
Seth Rogen

Kate McKinnon

Ike Barinholtz

The season consists of 8 episodes with a 30 minute run time each.

1) Welcome to New York written by Nicholas Stoller and Francesca Delbanco
2) Connecticut House written by Nicholas Stoller and Rob Weiner
3) All-Nighter written by Nicholas Stoller and Andrew Gurland
4) Mission Impossible written by Nicholas Stoller and Francesca Delbanco
5) Party Bus written by Justin Nowell
6) Second Wedding written by Colleen McGuinness
7) Grand Cayman written by Rob Weiner
8) A Night of Surprises written by Nicholas Stoller and Francesca Delbanco

The official Trailer can be found HERE

Rotten Tomatoes gave it a critic rating of 23% with an audience score of 62%

However, my wife and I really enjoyed it. Since it only takes about 4 hours to watch all of it, it was an easy binge watch.

WSMNKzZ.jpg

halfbeast

Banned
wait, hold on: are you telling me that good looking straight white people... cheat? I've never heard of such a thing! WATCHING RIGHT NOW!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
heard this takes a steep dive in episode 2. can anyone confirm?
Watched all EPs, it's great.

wait, hold on: are you telling me that good looking straight white people... cheat? I've never heard of such a thing! WATCHING RIGHT NOW!

Famous white guy Keegan Michael Key

What do you mean it's not good? It's great!

It's a bunch of smart, rich people doing insanely stupid and selfish things over and over again. Everyone is yelling all the time, plot threads get dropped or forgotten, and they decided to focus on Keegan - the least likable character of the show.

It's got problems.

I said this before watching that terrible Netflix movie about the improv troupe, Don't Think Twice. You'd think a movie about a group of comedians, starring comedic actors would try to be funny, but apparently not.

What? This is literally the first time I've ever seen anyone say anything less than stellar about Don't Think Twice.

Granted I'm biased since I did improv for years, but I loved it.

verdures

I was in for Keegan and dropped out during the second episode. Show is terrible.
I said this before watching that terrible Netflix movie about the improv troupe, Don't Think Twice. You'd think a movie about a group of comedians, starring comedic actors would try to be funny, but apparently not.
Same here, maybe I should just learn my lesson and read up before wasting time on garbage.

faridmon

Binged watched it last night. Not good at all. Messy and the characters are just all.... meh. You can't sympathise with any of them. There is very little character development and the situations they get into is very forced in order to get a reaction from any of them, and that rarly happens.

Fuck the last episode
Can't believe he hasn't told his wife about his affair, considering he was talking about telling her since Episode 2

I want my 4 hours back

dcassell

Banned

Well it was marketed as a movie about people that are funny, not a comedy. I love Mike Birbiglia, and I thought it was great. Different strokes though.

This show is uh, interesting. I don't really like it but I'm not not entertained. Ep 2 is a lot better than the first so far.

Caspel

Business & Marketing Manager @ GungHo
Show has its moments but not enough to bring me back for a second season. Frustrating show with awful characters.

ZeroFate

So bad. I feel like the only reason I forced my way through this show was Fred Savage. He wasn't even great or anything, it's just that I haven't seen him in much outside The Wonder Years.

jb1234

I watched two episodes. I feel bad for the actors, honestly. When the scripts force them to be so aggressively unlikable, what chance do they have? It's an intensely unpleasant watch.

I don't care what people say, I loved this show. I really hope Netflix doesn't take the reviews to heart and cancel it. I need more of these characters.

Bleepey

I liked it but didn't love it. It's a decent Xenial??? (Is that what the generation just before millennial is called)show

cackhyena

Only 3 episodes in, but I'm digging it. Weird mix of comedy and seriousness that somehow works so far. Fred Savage should be in more things.

I really hate everyone on this show, almost no one is redeemable outside of Fred Savage's character.

I really wanted this to be Happy Endings (but not).

Somehow they tried to make a comedy, but it is actually pretty depressing. Yet I kept on watching. They are all terrible people though, but I guess that was kind of the point of it all.

Watched this over the weekend. I enjoyed the show and thought it was hilarious.

Surprised
Key's character didn't get any comeuppance for cheating (Sam at least lost the Benz truck) but I guess they're saving it for S2

D7n

I found it pretty funny at times. The characters are pretty terrible people, but for some reason I enjoyed overall. I hope there is a S2.

Bacon

Only truly funny scene for me was the one in the wedding where Keegan was standing on the cube and the ensuing mess.

Agree with everyone saying that it was really just a show about a bunch of terrible people who were basically impossible to sympathize with.

Oh Seth Rogan's character was decent for a couple minutes but quickly became annoying.

finalflame

I was surprised to find this got such overwhelmingly negative reception and fairly little discussion. I personally found the show had lots of casually funny moments (I chuckled a lot, laughed occasionally), and I really really enjoyed the tone and characters. Marathoned it during a long afternoon.

I know a lot of people found the characters unlikable, but, to me, their flaws are what made them relatable and human. I know we like to think that most people are so much better than the flaws presented in the show, but most people really aren't as above these situations as they think they are.

I hope it comes back for a second season. I will say, the ending
fell a little flat for me, but I'm kind of glad Lisa's cheating is out and Ethan/Sam's secret remains safe.

Maximus.

Watched this over the weekend. I enjoyed the show and thought it was hilarious.

Surprised
Key's character didn't get any comeuppance for cheating (Sam at least lost the Benz truck) but I guess they're saving it for S2

Well...
it was revealed that the book he was writing was something already in development, so he essentially wasted his time with his draft.

I found it pretty funny at times. The characters are pretty terrible people, but for some reason I enjoyed overall. I hope there is a S2.

The show seemed like a real adult version of Friends. While I loved the show Friends, something tells me that they're all kind of pieces of crap. Like the Seinfeld group too. Maybe that's why I like them all.

The show seemed like a real adult version of Friends. While I loved the show Friends, something tells me that they're all kind of pieces of crap. Like the Seinfeld group too. Maybe that's why I like them all.

Great description. I enjoyed the show while not really liking most of the characters. But I want to see what happens and I hope that it all comes crashing down hard. Billy Eichner was great and not what you expect.

Top Bottom