• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Friends, we have lost Aunt Jemima

HotPocket69

Banned

Quaker Oats is retiring the more than 130-year-old Aunt Jemima brand and logo, acknowledging its origins are based on a racial stereotype.

"As we work to make progress toward racial equality through several initiatives, we also must take a hard look at our portfolio of brands and ensure they reflect our values and meet our consumers' expectations," the Pepsi-owned company said in a statement provided to CNN Business.

I guess next up on the chopping block is Uncle Ben
gEjVXZa.png

Last edited:

Max_Po

Banned
I thought it was a really popular black lady whose recepie was being sold and her relatives were receiving a royalty ....

I am from Pakistan so I dunno shit about the brand

Stouffers

Banned
Uncle Ben, Brawney Guy, Ronald McDonald, Mr Clean, Colonel Sanders, Little Debbie, Cream of Wheat Guy, Chef Boyardee, Gortons Fisherman and the Morton’s salt girl are next. All problematic in their own way.

HotPocket69

Banned
Uncle Ben, Brawney Guy, Ronald McDonald, Mr Clean, Colonel Sanders, Little Debbie, Cream of Wheat Guy, Chef Boyardee, Gortons Fisherman and the Morton’s salt girl are next. All problematic in their own way.

What about Wendy? Fuck that white, pasty, cheese faced ginger bitch.

TrainedRage

Banned
LUCKY CHARMS IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean WTF they think they can just make fun of Irish people like that? WTF my ancestors help build this country as slaves. And you all just put that shit on a cereal box????

IM PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What have we lost exactly? Corporate branding isn't some kind of valuable social commodity. They're just going to replace it with a different brand. Same shit, different box.

But we have to stick it to the libs or something. But I agree, nothing of value was lost.

LUCKY CHARMS IS RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean WTF they think they can just make fun of Irish people like that? WTF my ancestors help build this country as slaves. And you all just put that shit on a cereal box????

IM PISSED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, it's not like not all Irish look like that.

1O3dSuq.png

cryptoadam

Banned
Why are companies doing this?

This has to be coordinated. Its not like people en masse just stopped buying their products.

Why do they feel the urge to spend millions rebranding their products at the drop of a hat.

makaveli60

This has to be coordinated. Its not like people en masse just stopped buying their products.

Why do they feel the urge to spend millions rebranding their products at the drop of a hat.
At this point one has to be insanely dense to think that this whole bullshit we are living in is not coordinated. No offense to you, I know you see through this shit.

thefool

Easy way to signal change while making no effort whatsoever to actual change anything. Perfect chance for rebranding too.

Goodbye lucky charms guy. We hardly knew ye.

(edit: this post is not to equate the racial hardships between AJ and LC, more just a general shitpost of social commentary)

Last edited:

Pejo

LMAO I went to look up a picture to make a joke about Mrs. Buttersworth being next, but they're already apparently in talks about a complete re-branding. People today are fucking insane.

Coily

Banned
I find it weird that people obsess about "libs".

If a lib likes hamburgers, will you stop eating hamburgers because that is the automated counter-response?
Nope

so c'mon man. Equality is a founding concept, it's not a lib thing

yeah, woketivist are annoying as fuck, but that doesn't you must go full MAGA 100% on all issues just because of Twitter Wokies.
You can think for yourselves sometimes too.

Last edited:
Hope the new versions fall in popularity and ironically get cancelled. Even if everyone is aware what the new version is, brand loyalty is extremely strong. People will overlook much more important things like quality just to have something familiar and comforting. Without their logo and name customers WILL wander.

Get woke go broke?

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
Cream of Wheat just has a black guy in a chef's hat. I'll let someone with a blue checkmark explain to me what's racist about that and why I should lash myself for not knowing already.

Top Bottom