• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FRINGE Season 3 |OT| Inexplicably renewed for a 4th season!

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Welp, that episode was fantastic, Fringe is coming back for another year, and Season 3 has been amazmo.

I fully expect the season finale to destroy this universe and Season 4 to rebuild it.

Coeliacus said:
I think as the youngest character she is supposed to represent how messed up things are on the other side growing up through all of it. That is probably more symbolic than actual fact though, because you don't get aspergers through trauma.

Jasika Nicole mentioned in interviews that the writers would take a different direction with her character in the other universe. Later she mentioned Autism and Aspergers.

Her affinity with numbers and predicting outcomes of various situations is a bit uncanny but in a way compliments her A universe's ability with words and code in my opinion.

The lack of her nurturing influence on Walter is also something to consider.

I <3 AspieAstrid

Fatalah

The West Wing is still on the air in the alternate universe. On top of the cab driver's taxi, there's an ad for the new season. Season 12 to be exact.

Not sure why there's a shout out...any ex-writers work on Fringe?

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
I've begun a gradual rewatch of the first two seasons, but it really seems at the beginning that they had no intention of bringing the story in this direction. There was something that Walter says in the first or second episode that I wondered about. He asks Olivia if, being in the FBI, she has been told about Peter's "medical condition." Was that supposed to foreshadow the current situation or lead to something else? Nobody in the FBI should have been aware of Peter's origins by that point.

Solo said:
S3 > S2 > S1. So it is written, and so it is.

S2 was better than S3, even with the terrible, where'd our budget go, penultimate episode. The MoWs had better and more Ellisy science. Granted, S3 isn't over yet and could bring more exciting, Ellisy science back into the mix, but with Soul Magnets and Pregancellerators, I'm not holding my breath.

TripOpt55

Keyser Soze said:
Just noticed this

gtGv0.gif

...first time they bothred to show it I think
I missed that. That's great.

mm04

DarthWoo said:
I've begun a gradual rewatch of the first two seasons, but it really seems at the beginning that they had no intention of bringing the story in this direction. There was something that Walter says in the first or second episode that I wondered about. He asks Olivia if, being in the FBI, she has been told about Peter's "medical condition." Was that supposed to foreshadow the current situation or lead to something else? Nobody in the FBI should have been aware of Peter's origins by that point.

I just recently re-watched both seasons 1 and 2 and I disagree. Now, they did abandon some things, like most notably ZFT, but we still don't know about Peter's health. Remember, Bell upon seeing Peter in the season 2 finale says he's surprised at how well Peter's been holding up. That storyline may not be closed, just yet. You also have to take into account Walter was out of his gourde when Olivia first tried to get him out of the funny farm.

The main overarching theme has always been multiple universes. Now that we know where the story is, it's so easy to see the clues when you do a re-watch. One of my favorites was Peter talking to the young Observer and mentioning that he remembers the GI Joe action figure having a scar on the opposite side of his face. I've been pretty happy with how they've maintained the general integrity of their direction. As much as I liked LOST, they straight made some shit up a few times during the course of the series where you know that wasn't the intention from the get go.

BenjaminBirdie said:
S2 was better than S3, even with the terrible, where'd our budget go, penultimate episode. The MoWs had better and more Ellisy science. Granted, S3 isn't over yet and could bring more exciting, Ellisy science back into the mix, but with Soul Magnets and Pregancellerators, I'm not holding my breath.
I think you are forgetting the first half of season 2, which was decent but nothing amazing. The last half of 2 was so awesome that it elevates the entire season. But so far season 3 has had more consistent quality and more great episodes than season 2, even if season 2 has my all time favorite episode.

But to each their own. Now if you said that season 3 was shitty compared to 2, them would be fightin' words.

And thinking back to season 1 now, I think it is awesome to think that it was Walternate that visited Walter in the asylum during that episode.

ivysaur12

Banned
Dead said:
I really want to see the writers try to tie ZFT back into the story in a coherent manner

They're probably not. It's going to be a huge hole for the series, which sucks.

Of course they could surprise me. I just don't see them going back to Season 1 threads. Remember, the original pitch to Fox had the parallel universe appearing at the end of the third season.

Anyone catch the name of Fauxlivia's kid on the card he put his blood on?

PhoncipleBone said:
I think you are forgetting the first half of season 2, which was decent but nothing amazing. The last half of 2 was so awesome that it elevates the entire season. But so far season 3 has had more consistent quality and more great episodes than season 2, even if season 2 has my all time favorite episode.

But to each their own. Now if you said that season 3 was shitty compared to 2, them would be fightin' words.

And thinking back to season 1 now, I think it is awesome to think that it was Walternate that visited Walter in the asylum during that episode.

No I actually liked the first half of S2. Remember, I love the MoW stuff if it has interesting pseudo science behind it, and a whole lot of it did.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Teh Hamburglar said:
Okay, that is pretty dumb. Alternate Universe full of retards. Fly around in blimps and make bad double decker cars.
I honestly don't think they even had Einstein.

BenjaminBirdie said:
No I actually liked the first half of S2. Remember, I love the MoW stuff if it has interesting pseudo science behind it, and a whole lot of it did.
I love the MOTW stuff as well, but the really crazy out there stuff I enjoy more. I do know there are a lot of people that hate MOTW style stuff though, which I don't get. It is still fun.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Anyone else feel that the music during the ending was very reminiscent of "Life and Death" from lost? Same tempo, everything. Almost seemed like they were like "make it sound like this!".

I know Giacchino did the first season of fringe, but I'm not sure how involved he still is. Either way, it feels like this show is turning more and more into LOST with every passing episode.

And that is a good thing.

Solo

DrEvil said:
I know Giacchino did the first season of fringe

Actually only did the pilot. Which makes it absolutely hilarious that he still gets a credit, despite the fact that literally none of his music is present (JJ did the main theme).

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Solo said:
Actually only did the pilot. Which makes it absolutely hilarious that he still gets a credit, despite the fact that literally none of his music is present (JJ did the main theme).

I remember watching the leaked pilot that had tons of LOST music in it as temp track.

I'll never forget watching them walk through the shipping containers with "Hollywood & Vines" playing in the background :D

My crazy theory that I will spoiler tag for no real reason:

Bowling Dude is Fauxlivia's son. That's how he knows that Peter's choice is more complicated than Nina expects.

mm04

BenjaminBirdie said:

Bowling Dude is Fauxlivia's son. That's how he knows that Peter's choice is more complicated than Nina expects.

Well, episode 3.21 has an interesting title
The Last Sam Weiss
. So, I guess you could speculate the relation there.

WillyFive

Solo said:

Yeah, I am not sure why he is still credited, when it has been obvious ever since half-way through Season 1 that he is not making the music, it sounds nothing like him.

The guys doing the music sometimes add some Giacchino-like sounds (like that violin hit for suspense), but it doesn't really keep the illusion going.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
BenjaminBirdie said:

This is a really good theory right here. :O

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
PhoncipleBone said:

Or maybe Walter was just more crazy while inside the asylum and hallucinated? There's no way Walternate was on our side during Season 1 when he went through all that trouble in Season 2 just to meet Peter.

Zoe

Bisnic said:
Or maybe Walter was just more crazy while inside the asylum and hallucinated? There's no way Walternate was on our side during Season 1 when he went through all that trouble in Season 2 just to meet Peter.

Yeah, I have a feeling that the asylum is one of the lost threads due to the plot speeding up.

zedge

dorkimoe said:
I didnt understand what happened at the end of this episode? what was walternate up to?

Not sure if spoiler so just to be safe lol..

As Peter is the father, maybe this baby can power the machine if Peter will not.. just a thought

Hobbun

Didn't know Fringe was renewed until today. Fucking awesome.

Now let's just hope down the line it is a full season renewal. Although we won't find that out until next year.

Edit: Wait, they ordered a full 22 episode season? Kickass.

Zoe

Hobbun said:
Didn't know Fringe was renewed until today. Fucking awesome.

Now let's just hope down the line it is a full season renewal. Although we won't find that out until next year.

It's a 22 episode renewal.

TripOpt55

Rewatched the last two with my brother who hadn't caught them. He's always been a fan of Lincoln and we had talked about what he may be doing over here before so he thought seeing him was pretty cool. Also, I really like seeing Lincoln and Charlie over there. They're pretty funny together.

Top Bottom