• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

From Software says a little more about their new games [UP: More on Souls-like game]

FelipeMGM

That would be a huge disappointment considering it already didn't work very well in the past coming from a different team within FromSoft. Wouldn't know what to expect from a different studio altogether.

I get that, Dark Souls II was a big let down to a lot of people. I didnt even played DSII so I cant speak about that

Anyway, is just speculation from my side based on: Blooborne was a big hit, and I doubt Sony will let go, even if FS dont want anything with it

Regginator

I wonder what that Dark Souls-esque game is. The way it's being said, it makes me wonder if it's a Bloodborne sequel in everything but name on multiple platforms like Demon's to Dark.

Raylan

Banned
With all those delicious framepacing issues the original and DS3 have on consoles. Nah I'll take anything else.

Whatever it is I hope it's multiplatform so I can avoid those.
Rumor is, there are 2 more PS4 exclusives coming. So I hope you are prepared.

That dark fantasy game is totally in the Souls genre.

I would have preferred a cyberpunk Souls, but I'll take whatever Miyazaki gives me.

yuraya

Game 1 = Sounds like a Dark Souls 4 made by B team.

Game 3 = Sounds like they are making a MOBA or something. Very weird indeed.

Shin-chan

Hoping for spiritual successor to Bloodborne or another direction of Demons Souls for the familiar one.

For the weird one, I'm thinking Miyazaki's Ni No Kuni or Eternal Sonata.

Game 1 = Sounds like a Dark Souls 4 made by B team.

Game 3 = Sounds like they are making a MOBA or something. Very weird indeed.

But didn't the so called B Team make DS3?

DS1 (A) > BB (A)

DS2 (B) > DS3 (B)?

I mean their studio structure might have changed a bit, but eh. If we do get a DS4 I want denser areas. I have played Demons for the first time recently and the levels are so good by virtue of not having lots of inconsequential areas and 3-4 areas that serve a larger theme.

Thewonandonly

Yeah, I think Miyazaki and his team laid down the whole concept and the tone of the world and that Japan Studio can go on and develop a sequel themselves.

I think they did most of the work on Old Hunters, and that might have been a test so they can fully take the helm of the franchise
O I didn't know that that's good to know. I liked the creature design in that a lot even tho it's the only piece of souls content that I can't fucking beat haha. Hell I havnt made it to the first boss yet :(

If Miyazaki doesn't want to make Bloodborne 2, then let Sony Japan make it. I'm sure they can handle it. That studio houses quality artists and designers, and the game's foundation is already laid. They can handle it.

duckroll

HOLD UP.

Dualshockers, that banned site, posted an article a week ago about an interview they had with Miyazaki at TGS as well, and it seems to cover the same ground. The thread was then locked after From Software put out some clarification saying that it was not true that they announced that they were making a new Armored Core game. Now IGN is putting out an article saying the exact same thing, which leads me to believe that there was some sort of press roundtable or something, and they were reporting from the same sources.

yuraya

DS1 (A) > BB (A)

DS2 (B) > DS3 (B)?

I mean their studio structure might have changed a bit, but eh. If we do get a DS4 I want denser areas. I have played Demons for the first time recently and the levels are so good by virtue of not having lots of inconsequential areas and 3-4 areas that serve a larger theme.

The way he is referring to himself in making/creating game 1 and 3 means he has his hands in everything. But with game 3 tho he says "Miyazaki's weird creation" in a weird way. I think its implying that game 3 is the one he is working on the most or has the most input in. Game 1 is probably gonna be a Souls game without the Dark title.

I wonder what will be different about this Armored Core since it's a reboot.

iirc there was many rumors about them making a VR game. So its probably that.

Persona7

Banned

DS1 (A) > BB (A)

DS2 (B) > DS3 (B)?

Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne share a ton of development staff judging by a credits comparison. I never checked if Bloodborne and DS3 but it's probably the same.

MegaMelon

The souls esque game makes me happy. No other dev can satisfy the souls itch so even if people are getting tired of the formula, I'm all for it. Being a new ip (presumably) will also give the team an opportunity to start fresh which is where from is best at, see Demons Souls, Dark Souls 1 and Bloodborne.

Raitaro

Whenever these 3 upcoming games get mentioned I suddenly remember that Monster Hunter game they were working on with Capcom, as announced 2 E3's ago I believe, and start to wonder what happened to it.

Some quick googling told me it was called Monster Hunter Diary: Poka Poka Airou Village and that is was in fact a 3DS version of a (to me, unfamiliar) 2010 PSP game no less.

Apparently it even already came out in September last year in Japan. I don't think I've ever heard anyone mention it outside of the initial reveal thread on Gaf. Interesting, how such a dream collaboration between FROM and Capcom can lead to such a low key game, no?

I wonder if the third ("weird") upcoming game might be weird in the vein of this MH spin-off, weird in being cutesy and such.

MistBreeze

If Miyazaki doesn't want to make Bloodborne 2, then let Sony Japan make it. I'm sure they can handle it. That studio houses quality artists and designers, and the game's foundation is already laid. They can handle it.

If it is true that Sony Japan Studio did the most work in bloodborne The Old Hunters DLC, then they are more than qualified to make Bloodborne 2 - giving that many consider that the best DLC in souls games -

Yeah, I think Miyazaki and his team laid down the whole concept and the tone of the world and that Japan Studio can go on and develop a sequel themselves.

I think they did most of the work on Old Hunters, and that might have been a test so they can fully take the helm of the franchise

This isnt true.

Also I'm gonna bet the first game is a new IP ala BB. Sci-Fi souls maybe? I'm more excited for the weirdness Big M is talking about though. Honestly excited to see if Miyazaki can pull off a lighter tone. 1st VR maybe? Will buy regardless. These 2 will be PS4 exclusive. Covering the 2 more games From has w/Sony that's been hinted at.

Armored Core will be their multiplat game.

Really surprised by how many games Miyazaki has his hands in right now. Especially after Working on BB then straight to ToH, then Ds3 and now its DLC. Dude is a machine.

If it is true that Sony Japan Studio did the most work in bloodborne The Old Hunters DLC, then they are more than qualified to make Bloodborne 2 - giving that many consider that the best DLC in souls games -
I don't think it's been confirmed so I don't know why people keep pushing it as true.

DMONKUMA

iirc there was many rumors about them making a VR game. So its probably that.

Please no. I would be fine with it being a VR compatible or having the full game being playable in first-person VR just don't make it exclusive to VR and still have be the third-person Armored Core we know and love.

I don't think it's been confirmed so I don't know why people keep pushing it as true.

Because they desperately want a BB2. Tbh I barely trust a different Director on a Souls game, let alone a whole different development studio. From/Miyazaki's style isnt something you can just replicate.

I say leave BB alone until Miyazaki is ready to continue the story. If not let it be, as one of the best standalone games ever.

pablito

I'm actually hoping it's not Bloodborne 2, not Dark Souls 4, and not Weirdsouls/Weirdborne. Give me new mechanics, new storytelling, new everything basically. I know I'm in the minority but this is getting into "same old shit" territory for me.

yuraya

I'm actually hoping it's not Bloodborne 2, not Dark Souls 4, and not Weirdsouls/Weirdborne. Give me new mechanics, new storytelling, new everything basically. I know I'm in the minority but this is getting into "same old shit" territory for me.

But why stop making those type of games when they are reviewing and selling well? It would be a horrible business decision. The games have a big fanbase and a strong cult following. It makes no sense to just abandon those fans. Especially when other developers are making clones of your games in every shape n form.

Shredderi

I'm kind of wary of them doing other things than soulsborne games. I mean, I'm wrong, I know that, I just have this fear that they'll try to do things that other people already do very well. No one does soulsborne games better than From. I mean they'll propably surprise me with their new different titles and all fears will be history.

But why stop making those type of games when they are reviewing and selling well? It would be a horrible business decision. The games have a big fanbase and a strong cult following. It makes no sense to just abandon those fans. Especially when other developers are making clones of your games in every shape n form.

Should their new and different titles sell considerably less than soulsborne games then they will almost surely go back to those. Not that I hope for that outcome.

Don't buy them.
I'm kind of wary of them doing other things than soulsborne games. I mean, I'm wrong, I know that, I just have this fear that they'll try to do things that other people already do very well. No one does soulsborne games better than From. I mean they'll propably surprise me with their new different titles and all fears will be history.
From has been around for long before souls existed.

Shredderi

Don't buy them.

From has been around for long before souls existed.

Of course they have. They just have found what could be called mainstream success with these games finally. If they have expanded following that success then they will need to sustain themselves. I mean if their new lineup fails commercially (in relative terms).

As long as literally no other developer comes even close to nailing the formula that Souls basically perfected from the first iteration, it's in From's financial interest to keep that well filled to capacity.

After all, it's because of Souls that they can take whatever risks they want now. No reason to abandon it when they're the only game in town, unlike let's say, the carbon copy MOBA or driving simulators that all meld into each other like the congealed leftovers of a too-long refrigerated Thanksgiving dinner.

Plus, Space-Souls needs to happen eventually

Top Bottom