• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Front Mission Evolved: How it became the game you probably don't want

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Xater said:
I don't know. What I see doesn't blow me away and of course I am dissppojnted that it's not a SRPG. Then I am a sucker for mechas so maybe it could be somewhat fun? What do you think?

No SRPG, no sale.

Goddamn it, Square-Enix, Goddamn it. Why do you not get it?

batbeg

Yay, a new thread where people act like an outside developed entry is the end of the world. We needed this!

Reknoc

Xater said:
I don't know. What I see doesn't blow me away and of course I am dissppojnted that it's not a SRPG. Then I am a sucker for mechas so maybe it could be somewhat fun? What do you think?

I'm interested, it's a bummer it's not an SRPG but it could still be fun to stomp around as a Wanzer.

Japanese publishers are so out of touch with what fans want sometimes. Capcom being the main culprit. By making your series a generic action game by 3rd rate western developers is not the way to go. It's only a matter of time until this back fires on them.

Xater

Host Samurai said:
Japanese publishers are so out of touch with what fans want sometimes. Capcom being the main culprit. By making your series a generic action game by 3rd rate western developers is not the way to go. It's only a matter of time until this back fires on them.

Yeah if this at least had a great developer. IF FASA still existed they would be a great fit. Or why even go out of Japan? Ask the From Software guys!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
batbeg said:
Yay, a new thread where people act like an outside developed entry is the end of the world. We needed this!

Yay, a defense force for Square-Enix's shitty mistakes with the Front Mission series. We needed this!

Protip: If I wanted an action mech game, I'd play fucking Armored Core. I play Front Mission for SRPG elements with mech customization a la Armored Core's.

Removing that (SRPG) removes what makes the series.

And Square-Enix are still dickholes for not bringing FM5 to the US, even if it was a cheap-o localization/give it to Atlus and have them only print up a first run.

Pooya

It doesn't even look like a decent action game, this is the problem. It's interesting to see how it will sell in Japan.

batbeg

Host Samurai said:

Western sales of this franchise have proven miserable. Sure, you can argue its because of their handling of localization and advertising, but there's a likelihood its the genre and stagnation of it.

Testing the waters with a western-centric entry to promote interest in the franchise as a whole is a bad thing now?

And please, nobody think I'm arguing the quality of the title.

Zenith

Banned
Host Samurai said:

but this is exactly what I want.

Protip: If I wanted an action mech game, I'd play fucking Armored Core. I play Front Mission for SRPG elements with mech customization a la Armored Core's.

and if I want an action mech game on PC I do what? I'm a huge fan of Lost Planet but I've played it to death and the sequel is even shorter. There are no other options.

ram

batbeg said:
Western sales of this franchise have proven miserable. Sure, you can argue its because of their handling of localization and advertising, but there's a likelihood its the genre and stagnation of it.

LOL?

how can western sales be good, when games like front mission 4 and 5 didnt see a release in europe? and as far as i remember, FM5 was never released in america too.

Testing the waters with a western-centric entry to promote interest in the franchise as a whole is a bad thing now?

nobody cared about bionic commando, nobody cares about lost planet 2 and nobody will care about this turd.

honest question, what type of people will buy this game? shooter fans? they have more than enough games with all the fps crap. mecha fans? they like the japanese style. rpgs fans? ergh...

Host Samurai said:
Japanese publishers are so out of touch with what fans want .

I guess Square thinks we're too stupid for SRPGs in the west, so to reach the standard they have to water it down and simplify it to just shooting.

Youre doing a great effort targetting the western audience while ruining the foundation of your IP, Wada :l

mujun

That vid made me feel like it won't be long till Double Helix goes out of business and Squeenix puts out a press release saying how they aren't going to outsource new franchises to Western devs anymore.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Zenith said:
but this is exactly what I want.

and if I want an action mech game on PC I do what? I'm a huge fan of Lost Planet but I've played it to death and the sequel is even shorter. There are no other options.

Wait for Mechwarrior 5

While I loved Front Mission 4 and picked it up day one, I cannot even look at this bastardization of the Front Mission name.

Shinjitsu

Banned
mujun said:
That vid made me feel like it won't be long till Double Helix goes out of business and Squeenix puts out a press release saying how they aren't going to outsource new franchises to Western devs anymore.
How so? The game looked like something I'd like to try at least. I don't really get all the bitching here.

Yes it's not a SRPG, but can you blame them? The sales in the states for Front Mission games have been shit. At least they are trying something with the franchise instead of letting it rot.

I hope they do go back to a SRPG at some point (front mission 3 was one of my favorite PSX titles)

Aaron

batbeg said:

So they made a wholesale copy of Armored Core because that series really tears up the sales charts in the US. If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

This actually feels like something made more for the Japanese market considering AC and the relentless Gundam games.

Khezu

Looks kinda boring. Shame, I would love more action focused mech games with crazy customization, something other then the AC games from software likes to rehash every year. Actually its been some time since I played an Armored Core game, have they had any big improvements in the last few entries?

On the subject of the older SRPG front mission games, how well do those sell? I remember hearing not only do they sell bad in the west, but they were even bombing in japan. I can't remember when, or where I heard this, seems like a series that would do well over there though.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
LocoMrPollock said:
and how it wasn't even good anyway.
Blasphemy.

I thought FM3 was better too, until I went back to it again, after having completed part 4.

FM4 was a huge improvement on the gameplay.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'd be surprised if it was good.

Double Helix made Silent Hill: Homecoming and G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra though.

ILikeFeet

Banned
I'm not too much of a fan of SRPGs, so a real time Front Mission game is par for the course for me :D (though FM4 wasn't bad)

LocoMrPollock said:
Considering how bad part 4 bombed, and how it wasn't even good anyway.

FM4 is a good SRPG that got unfairly rated because of its above average difficulty/complexity. So if you think it 'wasn't even that good' I'd like to hear why. Every mainstream review I read was full of poorly skilled gamers whining that the game was slow paced while they huddled in the corner abusing the repair pack and letting the enemies approach one by one.

I don't usually rate games based on plot/characters though so if you thought it was bad because of that I don't really have anything to say.

Dead Man

Damn it. Someone just needs to make 3 games. A Mechcommander sequel, a Mechwarrior sequel, and god damn turn based strategy mech game. Life would then be complete.

Xater

idahoblue said:
Damn it. Someone just needs to make 3 games. A Mechcommander sequel, a Mechwarrior sequel, and god damn turn based strategy mech game. Life would then be complete.

Well a new Mechwarrior is in development.

Xater

Gravijah said:
If this sells more than past entries in the series, does that mean people wanted it?

That's usually what it means when something sells, but I have serious doubts about the success of this title.

Ashodin

I'm definitely looking into this - I'm getting a chromehounds + armored core feel, which is middle of the road for me, so interest is definitely up there.

Plus, with Nier actually turning out well for most people, this could be on the list next for a good game.

batbeg

ram said:
LOL?

how can western sales be good, when games like front mission 4 and 5 didnt see a release in europe? and as far as i remember, FM5 was never released in america too.

Isn't it funny how you tried to make a rebuttal, but actually made the exact point I made in that quote? I'm not defending their handling of the series in the west or Japan, but its certainly not surprising how they're trying to remedy the status of the franchise. Square-Enix won't fund a normal entry with how they've been killing off this franchise, and this is better than nothing; at best it could invigorate the franchise, create interest, and maybe prove to Square-Enix they can work with the series in the future. But hey, let us self entitled fans shit on any chance there is because it isn't what we want right now!

mjemirzian said:
FM4 is a good SRPG that got unfairly rated because of its above average difficulty/complexity. So if you think it 'wasn't even that good' I'd like to hear why. Every mainstream review I read was full of poorly skilled gamers whining that the game was slow paced while they huddled in the corner abusing the repair pack and letting the enemies approach one by one.

I don't usually rate games based on plot/characters though so if you thought it was bad because of that I don't really have anything to say.

I didn't find it very complex or difficult at all. And I played through it twice, so it must have not been that bad.

For me, it was too short and the plot wasn't as good as part 3. It was a perfectly average srpg.

I was mainly just trying to make a point that part 4 performed so badly, that they didn't even bother with bringing the vastly superior sequel over.

This is not Front Mission 6, this is Front Mission "Evolved." Sorry, but they didn't make it for srpg fans and that's not who they're trying to sell it to. They're going after, Armored Core and Mechwarrior, and the few Chromehounds fans who were left holding their dicks in their hands.

Also, Silent Hill: Homecoming was a good, if not great game. Some of you fuckers should actually play it before saying it's a turd sandwich.

Gravijah

Xater said:
That's usually what it means when something sells, but I have serious doubts about the success of this title.

Just curious, anyone have the sales of pass entries in the series?

LocoMrPollock said:
I didn't find it very complex or difficult at all. And I played through it twice, so it must have not been that bad.

For me, it was too short and the plot wasn't as good as part 3. It was a perfectly average srpg.

I was mainly just trying to make a point that part 4 performed so badly, that they didn't even bother with bringing the vastly superior sequel over.

It's not easy to talk about a games difficulty when it has optional grinding. If you don't grind in either game then FM5 hard mode is more difficult. But FM4 has the optional simulators 13 and 14 that are tough to reach even if you do grind.. most people never see those. I was the first person in the world to discover them afaik.

FM5 was a good SRPG as well but it wasn't much different than FM4 combatwise. So ragging on one and saying the other is 'vastly superior' doesn't make much sense considering how similar they are.

Davidion

I've only played the original Front Mission, and the whole third-person shooter nonsense is a bit of a turn-off.

But then again...Mechas!

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Real FM on XBLA PSN plz.

There's FM on the PSN already.

Japanese PSN's PSOne classics have Front Mission 1, 2, 3, and Alternative

Zenith

Banned
SonicX_Zero said:
Isn't this the same video that was at gametrailers from the other topic?

yep.

screw the haters, it was very well-received in that topic. You've got 5 niche RTS isometric mech games. Give us mech pilots something to play.

Pimpbaa

Looks great. I'll keep an eye on this one. Had no interest in the series before because I don't like SRPGs.

RaijinFY

SE is f******* cluless, it's not even funny.
It seems they are taking pleasure of ruinning every of their franchise.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aaron said:
So they made a wholesale copy of Armored Core because that series really tears up the sales charts in the US. If you can't tell, I'm being sarcastic.

Armored Core may not exactly light up the charts in America, but it does better than SRPG Front Mission does.

Top Bottom