• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-= Front Mission: The Official Thread – THE POWER OUTPUT IS TOO HIGH! =-

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
FrontMissionBanner.jpg

-= Game Information & Credits =-
Publisher: Square-Enix
Developer: G-Craft, Square-Enix
Platform: Nintendo DS
Genre: Strategy RPG
Release Date: October 23rd, 2007
Price: $34.99 (Amazon, EBgames)
Official Website: http://na.square-enix.com/frontmission/
http://www.square-enix.co.jp/fm/fm1ds/ (JP)
Producers: Toshiro Tsuchida, Shinji Hashimoto
Director/Assistant Director: Hideo Iwasaki, Kazuhiro Matsuda
Illustration & Characters Designs: Yoshitaka Amano, Kow Yokoyama
Graphic Designers & Additional Character Designs: Tetsuya Takahashi, Tetsuya Nomura, Yusuke Naora, Atsushi Doumoto, Masanori Hara, Satoshi Tetsuka
Music: Yoko Shimomura, Noriko Matsueda

-= Story/Premise =-
In 2070, there was a war between the Oceania Cooperative Union (OCU) and the Unified Continental States (UCN) on Huffman Island, it ended 2 years later in a ceasefire agreement that divides the island into two territories. Front Mission begins 20 years later as Royd Clive was heading to the Larcus Dictrict with his OCU squadron co-led by Ryuji Sakata. Ryod’s fiancee, Karen Meure, was already at the district and was ambushed by a UCN Wanzer squad lead by a man named Driscoll.
Driscoll ends up murdering Karen before Royd could get to her
and that leaves us to complete our first mission, "The Larcus Incident."

-= Gameplay =-
In Front Mission Wanzers are the units in play and they have 4 parts: a body, 2 arms, and legs. Each part has its own HP, you can immobilize a unit by destroying the legs or disable its firing abilities by destroying the arms, go for the body to destroy it. This game is known for the robust amount of customization in creating a Wanzer, you can have up to 4 weapons (2 for each arm and shoulder) as long as you don’t exceed the power output, and a variety of legs for different terrain.

-= Videos =-
NA Trailer (also loads on the main page of the official website)
JP Trailer
More Here

-= Images & Art =-
front-mission-20070926031503686.jpg
front-mission-20070926031502671.jpg
front-mission-20070926031420359.jpg

23.jpg
12.jpg
11.jpg

More:
http://www.allrpg.com/rpgnews/news_show.php?newsid=3427
http://media.ds.ign.com/media/856/856718/imgs_2.html

-= DS Exclusive Content =-
* The ability to access and utilize large mobile weapons previously seen as boss-type units in the Front Mission SNES and PSOne versions. Upon meeting specific requirements, the player can control mobile weapons such as the Seaking, Clinton Type, or a prototype version of the Bogomol I seen at the end of Front Mission 4.
* The ability to control Front Mission characters from other installments such as Darril Traubel and Glen Duval. This feature is only limited to a select number of missions however.
* New additions to parts and weapons, some from other Front Mission installments like the Numsekar from Front Mission 5. The infamous Dragon Hand part, which could only be obtained by cheat devices, can now be obtained normally in the game.
* New secret missions and areas that expand both sides further. Numerous bonuses await upon the completion of these secret missions, such as new mobile weapons or wanzers for usage.
* Additional modes such as a high-speed battle mode where battles are done quickly via skipping and other time-cutting means. Difficulty settings are available upon completion of either side a number of times. Even more secrets and bonuses can be accessed through repeated playthroughs of either side.

-= Previews & Interviews =-
RPGamer
1UP
IGN
GameSpot
GameSpy
CheatCC
GamesAreFun
RPGamer Interview
GameTrailers Interview

-= Other Links & Sources =-
Hardcore Gaming 101
http://frontmission.org/
Wikipedia

For all that is good in this world, BUY THIS GAME!!

Saitou

Banned
* The ability to access and utilize large mobile weapons previously seen as boss-type units in the Front Mission SNES and PSOne versions. Upon meeting specific requirements, the player can control mobile weapons such as the Seaking, Clinton Type, or a prototype version of the Bogomol I seen at the end of Front Mission 4.

Seaking? FUCK YEAH!

Victrix

*beard*
I really really really enjoyed Front Mission 3

... then I got bored and stopped, and found it impossible to resume

Still, given my propensity for sucking down portable SRPGS, I'll probably be grabbing this if the buzz is even remotely positive.

Haunted

BenjaminBirdie said:
So the gameplay is like an SRPG Chromehounds? Kinda?
No. If anything, Chromehounds is like an Action-oriented Front Mission. Get your gaming history straight. :p

I wouldn't compare the two, anyway. Both sport impressive, customisable mechs... and the similarities pretty much end there.

Haunted One said:
No. If anything, Chromehounds is like an Action-oriented Front Mission. Get your gaming history straight. :p

I wouldn't compare the two, anyway. Both sport impressive, customisable mechs... and the similarities pretty much end there.

You know, I knew the second I said that someone would point out the obvious reversal, which was done simply to add context and not to prove who did what first.

But the gameplay is SRPG style? That was actually something I was seeking clarification on.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This game purchase is a real coin toss for me. I remember playing through the SNES translation and absolutely hating the mecha micro-managements as they were.

Symytry

All I can say is that the original opening intro from the SNES version better be in-tact. That shit sends chills up my spine every time :D

ethelred

Very nice thread, jj.

I'll definitely be picking this up... not only is it a good game, but it's an excellent series, and everyone needs to do their part to show Square Enix that there is support for Front Mission in the west.

Symytry said:
All I can say is that the original opening intro from the SNES version better be in-tact. That shit sends chills up my spine every time :D

The factory mission? It's intact.

Haunted

BenjaminBirdie said:
You know, I knew the second I said that someone would point out the obvious reversal, which was done simply to add context and not to prove who did what first.

But the gameplay is SRPG style? That was actually something I was seeking clarification on.
>_< sorry. Yes, Front Mission is an SRPG.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Can't wait for this one, I regretfully never played the SNES version even though it always looked interesting to me. Will be a good game to play after beating PH.

Tom_Cody

SabinFigaro said:
As unbelievable as it sounds, this will most likely be my own personal GOTY.

It sounds completely believable.

I have been waiting so long. My frothing anticipation can not increase any further.

How's the AI in this game? One of the things that turned me off FM3 was that enemy units stood in place until you came within range, and didn't really employ any smart tactics. It was pretty exploitable, from what I remember, and I ended up giving up on it.

traveler said:
How does this compare difficulty wise and quality wise with Advance Wars?

SRPG vs. TBS?

Why do people keep dragging Advance Wars into the SRPG realm? They're completely different genres...

traveler

Not Wario
Pureauthor said:
SRPG vs. TBS?

Why do people keep dragging Advance Wars into the SRPG realm? They're completely different genres...

Oh, I didn't realize this was an SRPG. So, is it closer to FFT or Fire Emblem?

Edit: I meant which of those two is it more like.

traveler said:

I'm gonna go with FFT. It's still very much it's own game, though.

Aeana

traveler said:

If forced to use those two, I'd place it at about halfway between FFT and Advance Wars.

jj984jj said:
The first game is always a great place to start in any series. :p

Agree. I've never played any other FM game besides Gun Hazzard. I read on Hardcore Gaming 101 that FM 3 was really easy.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Wow, NDS is really becoming console of the forever, now it has even freakin' FM1.

Sold.

But, am I off or the gfx don't seem upgraded at all?

Aeana

Dash Kappei said:
Wow, NDS is really becoming console of the forever, now it has even freakin' FM1.

Sold.

But, am I off or the gfx don't seem upgraded at all?

They're upgraded from the SNES version, slightly. The DS version is a port of the PS1 enhanced port.

fm1-snes.png
fm1-psone.png

SNES / PS1

jj984jj said:

seaking.jpg

FUCK YEAH!!! :lol

Seriously though, I really though October was going to be a slow month for gaming personally, but fucking hell I need this game.

ethelred

pancakesandsex said:
I am SO hot for this game. Cannot WAIT. I wonder if FM 5 would be considered if this does well.

Doubtful... but it's a moot point anyway, as I really don't see this game doing well. Hell, half the time, all I hear are people saying they'll refuse to buy this since we never got Front Mission 5.

Jirotrom

ethelred said:
Doubtful... but it's a moot point anyway, as I really don't see this game doing well. Hell, half the time, all I hear are people saying they'll refuse to buy this since we never got Front Mission 5.
they could just import 5 and do the simple mod that the ps2 requires:p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Holy shit holy shit I completely forgot all about this. Welp, there goes my plans for buying a PSP Slim and Final Fantasy Tactics.

edit: This doesn't have a versus mode, does it? Wifi mulitplayer? Just wishful thinking?

Jackson

*Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

*Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

Bleet more mindless sheep...

Bleet more for your endless remakes, rehashes, spins-offs and ports from Square! When a new console comes out next-gen you can bleet for the same games you bleeted for last gen.

mcgarrett

Jackson said:
*Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

*Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah*

Bleet more mindless sheep...

Bleet more for your endless remakes, rehashes, spins-offs and ports from Square! When a new console comes out next-gen you can bleet for the same games you bleeted for last gen.
How can this be considered a rehash? The original Front Mission was never released in the U.S.

Top Bottom