• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-= Front Mission: The Official Thread – THE POWER OUTPUT IS TOO HIGH! =-

Jackson

mcgarrett said:
How can this be considered a rehash? The original Front Mission was never released in the U.S.

I'm just talking in general :)

Also Japan is getting this is it not? It's a rehash, it just the execs want to spam everything they make globally now.

mcgarrett

Jackson said:
I'm just talking in general :)

Also Japan is getting this is it not? It's a rehash, it just the execs want to spam everything they make globally now.
I 'spose. I can't think of too many developers who aren't playing it fairly safe these days.... and when they do take a chance they often get burned (Okami, God Hand, etc).

To me, this fills a nice void in the DS lineup. And like NBC used to say, "if you haven't see it, it's new to you!" :)

I'm just annoyed that they announced the localization about a week after I snagged the import. (luckily it was under $20)

ethelred

Jackson: wow. Just wow. This game has never before been released in the US -- maybe you will, but I'm certainly not going to pass up the opportunity to buy a great game that had never once been made available to me.

And don't act like this is some super-popular thing that sheep-brained Square drones are rushing out and buying in droves. This is a niche franchise whose popularity is so tenuous that the most recent game (#5) was never even released here. It's not exactly all that popular in Japan, either -- who knows if FM6 is even going to get made.

FateBreaker said:
Serious? What the hell is up with that logic?:lol

Yes, seriously. I find it baffling -- there has been such a wellspring of animosity towards Square's decision to localize this after Scars' failure to materialize in the west. I can fully appreciate being miffed about that, but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Jackson said:
Bleet more for your endless remakes, rehashes, spins-offs and ports from Square! When a new console comes out next-gen you can bleet for the same games you bleeted for last gen.
This game has never seen an (official) English release. What exactly are you complaining about?

And it's "bleat."

Sallokin

Insta purchase for me. I can't count how many times I've played through FM3 and FM4 (and I actually enjoyed the latter).

Slightly off topic: Whatever happened with Front Mission Online? I remember getting an invitation in my inbox a year or so back to try out for a slot in an upcoming U.S. beta of the game, then nothing ever came of it.

Karakand

Hmmmm have to say ethelred's gotten me interested in this between the RPGCast and his posts in the thread. Maybe I should go play another version first to see if it's my cup of tea.

Aeana

Sallokin said:
Slightly off topic: Whatever happened with Front Mission Online? I remember getting an invitation in my inbox a year or so back to try out for a slot in an upcoming U.S. beta of the game, then nothing ever came of it.

It bombed. I guess they found out that Front Mission fans aren't necessarily Armored Core fans. It's still running in Japan, but who knows for how long.

Jirotrom

ethelred said:
Jackson: wow. Just wow. This game has never before been released in the US -- maybe you will, but I'm certainly not going to pass up the opportunity to buy a great game that had never once been made available to me.

And don't act like this is some super-popular thing that sheep-brained Square drones are rushing out and buying in droves. This is a niche franchise whose popularity is so tenuous that the most recent game (#5) was never even released here. It's not exactly all that popular in Japan, either -- who knows if FM6 is even going to get made.

Yes, seriously. I find it baffling -- there has been such a wellspring of animosity towards Square's decision to localize this after Scars' failure to materialize in the west. I can fully appreciate being miffed about that, but talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.
to be honest I'm glad square is re-releasing all of there stuff, when I was younger I wasn't at liberty to try out all this stuff as I had a limit on the games I could buy. Basically 1 a year and Mario or a Streetfighter type game usually took that block as multiplayer was the way to go.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Sallokin said:
Insta purchase for me. I can't count how many times I've played through FM3 and FM4 (and I actually enjoyed the latter).
Is it generally thought that FM4 wasn't very good? Maybe it's because I haven't played either 3 or 4 in such a long time, but I remember having loads of fun with FM4. I think I enjoyed playing 4 more than 3, in fact.

I haven't played it in years... at least seven, it must be by now. And that was with an amateur ROM translation. So I'm definitely keen on this new DS version.

Between it, Tactics Ogre, and Seiken Densetsu 3, they're some of my trifecta of fabled Japanese rpgs from beautiful GameFan previews which I never got to play on my SNES and spent years chasing on the PC for translation projects. Definitely a very nostalgic title because of that -- now S-E just needs to bring over SD3 and it'll be complete.

GDGF

Soothsayer
The Super Famicom version was fucking awesome, and the new content makes me want the DS version too.

Rentahamster said:
Is it generally thought that FM4 wasn't very good? Maybe it's because I haven't played either 3 or 4 in such a long time, but I remember having loads of fun with FM4. I think I enjoyed playing 4 more than 3, in fact.

I think the mechanics were generally better in 4. The secrets were _great_, and you got a money back new game+ mode. The problem is, the story was really weak and lacked the branching mega-epic layout of FM3.

FM4 also has things like zbuffering, frame rate, and reasonable polygon counts...

That being said FM3 is the best game ever. So there's a bit of give and take.

bluemax

Banned
I have a feeling a lot of people will be disappointed in this one. The game was great back in the day, but the mechanics are kind of dated by today's standards.

I still plan on getting and playing it, but I think people who haven't played it before will find it kind of basic.

ethelred

Karakand said:
Hmmmm have to say ethelred's gotten me interested in this between the RPGCast and his posts in the thread. Maybe I should go play another version first to see if it's my cup of tea.

I wouldn't give an unqualified recommendation. First, it is a pretty hardcore SRPG -- there is a lot of management involved between all the different weapon and mech equipment options available. And it is decidedly retro since it is almost a straight port of a Super NES game. If you're okay with those two things, though, you should have some fun with it. There is a really cool alternate future story (a pretty serious one at that) and a fairly unique take oj SRPGing.

If you can track down FM3 for the PSX, that is definitely worthwhile. I still think that one is the best in the series.

It's worth noting that it's best played in seperated sessions imo. The nature of the gameplay makes it that it can get very monotonous if you try to force yourself through too many stages just for the sake of story. You can easily start to dislike the gameplay even, and become cynical about it.

On emulation, I always enjoyed it the most when I simply did one stage per day, and enjoyed the story at that pacing. That way you can take the time and try enjoy each stage more, and that includes having the extra time to enjoy the detail of paint customization, enjoy the nuances of the map more, etc.

If you rush through for the story, and you'll not only miss out on enjoying those nuances but you'll likely find the gameplay pacing annoying after you try to force through your 5th or 6th map in an evening.

Take your time, don't rush it, and it's should be a great game for most folks. The type of gamer that can really be entertained by 5 or 6 maps back to back is likely very niche.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Crazymoogle said:
I think the mechanics were generally better in 4. The secrets were _great_, and you got a money back new game+ mode. The problem is, the story was really weak and lacked the branching mega-epic layout of FM3.
Ah, I see. I remember really liking the gameplay in FM4, especially stuff like linking. I generally don't prefer gameplay that makes you learn skills through your equipment. I think that was one of the minor gripes I had with FM3 (and Final Fantasy 9).

allrpg said:
Friends can now challenge one another to intense wanzer battles through the all-new multiplayer element, accessible via DS Wireless Play
Hmmm, this is good. Allrpg is a credible site, right? I hope "DS Wireless Play" means play over the internet because most of my DS owning real life friends are heathens and probably won't get this game.

Rentahamster said:
Hmmm, this is good. Allrpg is a credible site, right? I hope "DS Wireless Play" means play over the internet because most of my DS owning real life friends are heathens and probably won't get this game.

Sadly no Wi-Fi play.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
thebagofsand said:
Sadly no Wi-Fi play.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Jamesfrom818 said:
How much different is this game from FM3? Is it pretty much the same without the 3D attack sequences?
The general gameplay is the same. In FM1, you don't learn skills through your equipment. Actually, I never really caught on to what the criteria were for learning skills in FM1 other than "just use a certain type of attack a lot and you'll learn skills in that field".

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
When is this coming out in Australia.

I may have to buy a DS for this.

Also, the whole "rehash" arguement levelled at games is ridiculous. How else will people who haven't played a game from the past going to play it on their modern video game systems? Or games that were never published in a certain country before? Or games that are out of print? This is especially silly when you consider that often these games are remade with better graphics, sound and new features.

When music companies release remastered albums people are usually ecstatic. But when it's videogames all you hear is doom mongering.

Rentahamster said:
Ah, I see. I remember really liking the gameplay in FM4, especially stuff like linking. I generally don't prefer gameplay that makes you learn skills through your equipment. I think that was one of the minor gripes I had with FM3 (and Final Fantasy 9).

Yeah. Linking and some of the related config stuff was great, especially when you got into the secret missions and could earn the crazy power + gear equipment. I really felt like they left too many other good things on the table (cough internet, 120+ mission branching, multiple endings, secrets, etc.) but the core game was pretty good.

That being said, FM3 also did a new game + mode in that everybody keeps their skills across playthroughs (not that you'd always notice considering the crazy branching!). The skill learning could be augmented with Wanzer upgrades, and your skillset wasn't making or breaking your success either. I tried really hard to roll over the timer on the game...

MrDaravon

As a huge FM3 fan, I'll pick this up day one even though I won't be playing it right away (too much other stuff on the plate right now) just to support them bringing it out here at all; I'm still super bitter about FM5 not coming out here, most people I've talked to say it's the best in the series :(

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Baryn said:
Loved the SNES version, but this might be too similar to warrant a purchase...
From the SNES version? There's a lot of new content since then since it was put on the PS1 and then the DS, they made the UCN scenario for the PS1 version and Tsuchida went and expanded that for the DS game so basically now there is a whole new scenario in the game. Plus it has the graphical enhancements from the PS1 port, it's basically a port of that game instead of a port of the SNES game.

Heres a bigger pic of the boxart.

fm1ds2.jpg

Is FM4 worth checking out? I remeber renting it when it came out only to have my ass handed to me. Is it at least worth $20?

Bebpo

Banned
KyanMehwulfe said:
It's worth noting that it's best played in seperated sessions imo. The nature of the gameplay makes it that it can get very monotonous if you try to force yourself through too many stages just for the sake of story. You can easily start to dislike the gameplay even, and become cynical about it.

I'd say this holds true for all s-rpgs. Usually if I'm playing an s-rpg I'll try to do 1 map a day or maybe 2 if the story is interesting at the time. Meanwhile I'll play other non-rpgs as well to keep me from getting burnt out on them.

firex

Same day as PW3... Sent to die? Not that it matters to me, I'll be picking it up just to support more SRPGs on the DS.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone here place more importance on looks rather than practicality when making your wanzers? In FM3, I'd use sniper arms for all my ranged units even if it had a shield equipped to it because I couldn't stand having different arms.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I'm a SRPG nut* but I never had the chance to play any Front Mission, so I will definitely get this. Judging by the looks and the general consensus, it seems like I'm in for an awesome ride. Can't wait :D

*and a "mecha" one too

Bebpo said:
I'd say this holds true for all s-rpgs. Usually if I'm playing an s-rpg I'll try to do 1 map a day or maybe 2 if the story is interesting at the time. Meanwhile I'll play other non-rpgs as well to keep me from getting burnt out on them.
True, true. I even got that way a little with Tactics Ogre, especially at the end where each location started to contain more and more stages. FF Tactics is likely one of the few that never because of how small and fast some of the stages can be, the story pacing, and much of the gameplay (e.g. grinding) is more player-driven.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
SailorDaravon said:
There was no waaaaay in hell we were going to get that though :lol
Why not? Link?

Jamesfrom818 said:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone here place more importance on looks rather than practicality when making your wanzers? In FM3, I'd use sniper arms for all my ranged units even if it had a shield equipped to it because I couldn't stand having different arms.
Nope. Functionality and efficiency all the way. I don't care if my Wanzer looks like a deformed midget carebear with mismatched arms and crazy inverted bird legs. As long as it kicks ass, I'm fine with it.

ethelred

KyanMehwulfe said:
True, true. I even got that way a little with Tactics Ogre, especially at the end where each location started to contain more and more stages. FF Tactics is likely one of the few that never because of how small and fast some of the stages can be, the story pacing, and much of the gameplay (e.g. grinding) is more player-driven.

My issue with Tactics Ogre is that I'm chronically incapable of deciding between one of the three branching scenarios -- so every time I play the game, I invariably end up running through all of them simultaneously (including at least one playthrough where I make Denim a Lord and one where I make the Foriner sisters Shamans).

Great fun, but pretty damned draining by the end!

I had and still sort of have that issue with trying to ever finalize on my 'main' complete game file...

One month it's Chaos with Kachua as Princess since it's the typical 'happy ending' (as far as happy goes in in Ogre Battle). Then another month, I like the idea of it being Lawful with her dead so my 'main' Denim can be a Lord, or because I much prefer the middle Chapters as Lawful since it's very war and politcally focused where as with Chaos you sort of step outside of that too much and go on an adventure with Canapous (not totally but it's always been my least favorite possible section). Then a third month, I want Neutral simply so I can get Debordes since I'm very fond of Terror Knights (though Jenounes and Dragoons usually come out on top with that debate).

Throw the Chaos Gate and its size on top of that, and try to settle on one (or switch) it and it's become a sort of casual yet constant dilemma I've been working on for years. Right now I've got a Lawful/Lord file about 10 hours into the Chaos Gate... but I somehow fricken missed recruiting Shelley by rushing too fast through Banisha and not remembering to head down to Baramus first.

DiddyBop

will be checking this out. Ive always been curious about the FM series but never got around to playing any, i've also been playing a lot of srpgs lately for some reason (jeanne,luminous arc) so im looking forward to this.

Speaking of faction paths, how is the 2nd path for UCN? (Back to FM.) I've never really heard opinion on it. Does it feel genuinely fleshed out, or does it feel like it was just tacked on quickly using the original art/maps/etc to provide 'new' content for the Japanese PS1 port?

ThomPayne

I really enjoyed FM4 for the PS2, which is apparently considered an abomination among real FM fans, so I'll definitely check this out just to gain a good point of reference as to what the differences are.

Top Bottom