• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frontier Dev - Roller coaster game in works

D-Pad

Frontier Developments (Elite, Lostwinds, but most importantly: RollerCoaster Tycoon 3, Thrillville) has tweeted that it has "a roller coaster game in the works, but it won't use the RCT name."

The good news is that it's not Thrillville. http://twitter.com/#!/frontierdev

So then what could it be? Is Atari renaming the RCT franchise (lol) or could this be something for another publisher? Maybe it's something else entirely (ie, a roller coaster FPS), though I doubt it given the question being answered was specifically about another entry to the RCT franchise.

Hope it's at least a spiritual successor to Roller Coaster Tycoon, I have fond memories playing the first two growing up.

Such as being freaked out as fuck the first time I accidentally killed a few visitors on a ride... And then only a few hours later trying to rig those loop-de-loop coasters to go fast enough to launch people miles away, trying to aim it so they'd blow up in mid-air. Can't remember if I ever pulled it off though.

Oh and also there's this wonderfully morbid thing.

Clunker

A gritty, spec-ops reboot named Roller Coaster: Evolved. John Rollercoaster is an ex-soldier haunted by his past ... a loose cannon with nothing to lose.

Kidding! I was just thinking a few months back about how much I enjoyed the original Roller Coaster Tycoon, and would love to see it come back. My personal preference would be a portable (something like iPhone would be killer).

CamHostage

What all was wrong with Thrillville? I thought the concept was awesome but I never bought it because I heard the minigames were lame, was that the problem?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
CamHostage said:
What all was wrong with Thrillville? I thought the concept was awesome but I never bought it because I heard the minigames were lame, was that the problem?

Most of the mini-games were kind of lame, but still Thrillville ended up being a pretty great product and is definitely worth a buy.

D-Pad

CamHostage said:

The only fun thing about the game (to me) was the build-and-race go-karts part of it.

Fat Goron

I really, REALLY want to be excited about this....

But this whole "not using RCT name" thing is still quite strange..... Trying to calm myself down...... but If that is "Rollercoaster Tycoon 4" with other name, not even god would be able to hold my hype.... *o*

kcvum.gif

D-Pad

Fat Goron said:
I really, REALLY want to be excited about this....

But this whole "not using RCT name" thing is still quite strange..... Trying to calm myself down...... but If that is "Rollercoaster Tycoon 4" with other name, not even god would be able to hold my hype.... *o*
Frontier has experience with the RCT franchise and the fanbase itself. They wouldn't answer a question asking about RCT 4 with Kinect - RollerCoasterz, right?

... Right? :((((((

Shiggy

TheOddOne said:
Maby they are working for multiple publishers?

Possible. Last year they were working on two projects: The Outsider and Kinectimals. One was released, the other one is gone.

szaromir

Banned
Graphics Horse said:
Secret Kinect game.
Here's what I found on the Internet... Interesting.
It was hard not to spot the optimism beaming from both Microsoft execs and developers about the future at the E3 last week.

The concerns and hushed whispers at last year's E3 about whether Microsoft had made fatal errors with the Kinects's launch have given way to positivity.

Microsoft's Phil Spencer, head of Game Studios, looked relaxed when I spoke with him on Thursday, although that may have been more to do with the fact he was not giving a keynote this year and was able to enjoy some of the sessions.

I had spoken to Yves Guillemot Ubisoft, of, earlier in the week and he told me he had never doubted that Kinect would be anything other than a success. Of course Ubisoft did release Michael Jackson: The Experience on Kinect this year so his comments have to be seen in that light.

MJTE is the kind of franchise Kinect has been crying out for - a hard core dancing game with credibility. The Wii has long been seen as the platform of choice for dancing games.

The Wii of course has Just Dance 2 and many feel that game set the benchmark for dancing play.

Yves Guiillemot told me: "We've surpassed what Just Dance 2 offered."

I'll let you - the readers - argue over that one.

Ubisoft are one of the finest exponents of dancing game titles and MJTE's availability on the Kinect after the Wii will delight Microsoft.

In term of what's to come for the Kinect I was given a sneak peek at titles in the works in London two weeks ago.

Unsurprisingly, sequels for the platform's biggest launch titles are in the works. Cynics will say that studios are merely fixing problems in the original versions, the result perhaps of having to rush the titles out in time for launch.

What was I shown? Well, I was shown a trailer for a game not due out till 2012 but was sworn to absolute secrecy. Apparently, Microsoft just wanted to give a glimpse of what the device will be capable of.

In fact, the game is such a secret that when I mentioned the game to Phil SpencerHarrison last week he was unsure at first whether even to admit the title existed. When I explained I had been shown it under strict Non Disclosure Agreement terms he looked relieved.

I don't mean to be a tease - all I can say is that I was left speechless. If the footage I was shown truly is "in game", as told to me by the Microsoft PR people, then we could be on the brink of a step change in what games consoles are capable of in terms of story-telling and immersion.

And there I'll leave it. Feel free to speculate on what I was shown. I cannot, of course, confirm or deny what it was....

szaromir said:
Here's what I found on the Internet... Interesting.

Thanks, I saw that when it was originally published, but I've forgotten about it since. As if I needed to be any more excited about this year's Kinect showing...

D-Pad

Dedication Through Light said:
Aw for just one system? I need my rollercoaster fix, cant keep playing RCT1 and all expansions forever.

Looks like we're gonna have to wait and see what Atari's doing. At this point I'll take any news on RCT4. A tweet, a hint, a "hi guys what's up", ANYTHING.

BTW: It doesn't look like Atari will be showing the next RCT at E3, unless it's a surprise announcement. :\

http://www.warpzoned.com/?p=7785

Radogol

Fucking Outsider. Why did it have to die?

;(

Was my most anticipated game ever. Now it's just a pile of ash from which a rollercoaster game rises.

Goodnight my sweet prince.

Outsider :_(

D-Pad

InaudibleWhispa said:
Here's something. And something else. "In addition, Atari will continue to support its key strategic licenses, including Dungeons & Dragons, Ghostbusters & Rollercoaster Tycoon."
I knew about the something, but not the something else. Thanks!

What the news [in the OP] does (semi) confirm is that Frontier is not handling the next RCT game, which some in the community would consider good news. It makes me more weary, however, because that means the next game is being developed by a team unfamiliar (maybe) with the series.

I hope is not the Kinect game and its RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 renamed (and that has sense becuase of the problems they had with Chris Sawyer, that is actually what is holding a new release of RCT4 one of the most weel selling atari games, if not the most).

If its the Kinect game shit will go from one ear thorugh the other.

Thank god we actually know by hints thorugh the internet someone is really working secretly in RCT4, the bad is that we probably will have to wait one more year or some shit like that.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
I hope is not the Kinect game and its RollerCoaster Tycoon 4 renamed (and that has sense becuase of the problems they had with Chris Sawyer, that is actually what is holding a new release of RCT4 one of the most weel selling atari games, if not the most).

If its the Kinect game shit will go from one ear thorugh the other.

Thank god we actually know by hints thorugh the internet someone is really working secretly in RCT4, the bad is that we probably will have to wait one more year or some shit like that.

Whatever did happen to Chris Sawyer?

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Indeed, Disney's Kinect game was allegedly supposed to be made after some theme park ride or something like that.
PotC? heh, I think a Disney licenced Theme Park type game would seem a good fit.

sfog

CamHostage said:

I haven't played the original, but the sequel (Off the Rails) was pretty decent. It was definitely rather casual and kind of kiddy, but it was a rather enjoyable mix of a lite theme park sim/coaster builder along with a sizable minigame collection (around 40 games total) of varying quality.

Dedidcation Through Light said:
Whatever did happen to Chris Sawyer?

Some problem about royalties payment if I remember correctly, but there was more about it at the end.
His first two games were excellent, but the ideas he had for the future (that you can see in some things of RCT2) if he wanted to make any future RCT games (he possibly didnt, thats why some of the problems occured) were shit.
He never wanted to give a real free mode like Frontier did, essential if you wanted to expand a franchise like RCT as he thought sandbox were bad or something like that.

Thats why he gimped the sandbox mode of RCT2 (limit maximum of objects, limit maximum of theming and rides you could build in the park...), and RCT1 didnt had anything (well, Mega Park when you finished the game, but that was all terraformed and didnt give you infinite money,it was only a new final great mission for the campaign mode).

Thats why I always say that RCT3 (with the patches, the 2 expansions and the internet community) is the best theme park builder game ever, and the original RCT is the best theme park game.
As a theme park fan I prefer they go with the RCT3 route and expand it, but it would be awesome if the peep management worked as good as in the 1st and 2nd game so people could have fun with campaign mode again.

The Atari-Chris sawyer case was finally settled, but theres things we dont know about the agrrement that could be some of the problems of having RCT4.
Chris Sawyer isnt doing anything at the moment, or at least that is what it seems.

Fat Goron

Well, at least we do have this: "We are thinking hard about the next Rollercoaster Tycoon game on PC."

So, even if this Frontier project is some Kinect shit, we can still wait for the real deal.....

But, seriously, since the first hints about RCT4, the waiting is killing me, I really hope they show something at E3. As you said, the renaming (if that's the case) may be "Chris Sawyer"-related, but we can always dream higher (can't we?) and think thay they may have moved from "RollerCoaster Tycoon" to "RollerCoaster Resort Tycoon".

That would be GLORIOUS. *o*

Fat Goron said:
Well, at least we do have this: "We are thinking hard about the next Rollercoaster Tycoon game on PC."

So, even if this Frontier project is some Kinect shit, we can still wait for the real deal.....

But, seriously, since the first hints about RCT4, the waiting is killing me, I really hope they show something at E3. As you said, the renaming (if that's the case) may be "Chris Sawyer"-related, but we can always dream higher (can't we?) and think thay they may have moved from "RollerCoaster Tycoon" to "RollerCoaster Resort Tycoon".

That would be GLORIOUS. *o*

I suppose if a game change comes it will be more something like Theme park Tycoon, I dont know how many of the name they would have to change, so seeing again Roller Coaster Tycoon in the same phrase even adding some words dont know how legal could be.
Which is a pity because having a total name change, even being the same product, could mean lower sales.

Top Bottom