• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frozen 2

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
This trailer made me wonder if Elsa has more powers than just simply being able to make ice...cause like...running across a bunch of rocks like that and not even flinching is some serious super human shit.

...not to mention somehow not getting impaled to death by ice debris caused by the wave breaking up her bridge and then crashing down into her.

Elsa could take the Hulk 1v1 is what I'm saying

Last edited:
giphy.gif

Doom85

I'll be honest and I know it's an unpopular opinion (for adults anyway, sure lot of kids love Frozen but I think many adults are turned off by its overexposure) but in terms of Disney movies (that doesn't include Pixar, their awesome line-up gets its own list), Frozen is my 2nd favorite Disney film (#1 being Lion King). I love the music, I love Anna and Elsa's characters, Olaf is how you do the goofy sidekick right (it helps a lot of his funny moments have him whispering or talking kinda soft, he could have easily have been written as a loud-voiced character, like the only flaw in the otherwise great Treasure Planet is that annoying robot who screams a lot in the final third of the movie), etc.

I was skeptical about the necessity of a sequel and if it would come close to the first. Didn't help that while I did enjoy Wreck-it-Ralph 2 and did like its story and character arcs, its jokes weren't as strong as the first one so I feared something similar might happen. But this trailer looks really hopeful, kinda moody and mysterious, I like it.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
They have to make a film that gets watched a thousand times a day by stay at home parents, nurseries, churches, and anywhere kids are at. I was curious to what they'd follow it up with.

I thought it was cool with the darker tones. All the while I'm thinking about the next generation of books, toys, and everyday household items that will be sold along with it.

Edit: apparently the Ice Queen (book by Hans Christian Andersen) Elsa is based off of is dark.

Last edited:

O-N-E

So, the popularity of the first one annoyed me. Especially after I watched it and it was just OK.

However, I like what I'm seeing here. Yes, Game of Thrones vibes is what I got from it. Nice cinematography and music too.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
The change in tone is weird. Darker, more serious, more epic, and totally going for the edgelord (edgelady?) fantasy.

But having the movie makers taking it into a new direction makes me hopeful that this sequel is not merely going to be a safe cashgrab, but something a bit more daring and creative.

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
I'll be honest and I know it's an unpopular opinion (for adults anyway, sure lot of kids love Frozen but I think many adults are turned off by its overexposure) but in terms of Disney movies (that doesn't include Pixar, their awesome line-up gets its own list), Frozen is my 2nd favorite Disney film (#1 being Lion King). I love the music, I love Anna and Elsa's characters, Olaf is how you do the goofy sidekick right (it helps a lot of his funny moments have him whispering or talking kinda soft, he could have easily have been written as a loud-voiced character, like the only flaw in the otherwise great Treasure Planet is that annoying robot who screams a lot in the final third of the movie), etc.

I was skeptical about the necessity of a sequel and if it would come close to the first. Didn't help that while I did enjoy Wreck-it-Ralph 2 and did like its story and character arcs, its jokes weren't as strong as the first one so I feared something similar might happen. But this trailer looks really hopeful, kinda moody and mysterious, I like it.
I watched it at work uninterestingly, fedup up with the overhype and honestly thought the first one was pretty good (bar that dumb snowman). That main song you heard everywhere back then from the movie isn't all that bad either all things considered. As a grown-ass man I wouldn't actively set out to watch the sequel in my spare time but if it should happen to come up as an outing at work again?; I'd be more than happy to see it.

the first is a terrible movie. phew got that opinion of my chest...now:

disney usually strikes out with sequels in my eyes (Toy story gets a semi break here). so not expecting much. certainly not expecting a song as popular as let it go, and neither should you. theres going to be a lot of disappointed kids who are expecting that, but dont know how the world works yet.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
honestly looks awesome, every once in a while all the talents come together in the right order

niece is gonna love it

Last edited:

trikster40

Didn’t like the first when I originally saw it (blame the hype it was generating at the time). Now that I’ve got a 4 year old daughter and it’s her favorite movie and I’ve seen it like 10,000 times and know Let It Go by heart, it’s actually really really good.

Looking forward to taking my daughter to see this in her first movie theater experience!

Tangled is still the best Disney (non-Pixar) computer animated movie. Where’s my sequel?

Last edited:

Doom85

Tangled is still the best Disney (non-Pixar) computer animated movie. Where’s my sequel?

Well, it would be weird to call it Tangled 2 given what happened at the end of 1, so that's kind of an issue. I heard the animated series is supposed to be good though.

While it's not my favorite Disney computer animated film (I go from best down to fairly good: Frozen, Zootopia, Wreck it Ralph, Moana, Tangled, Big Hero 6, and finally Wreck it Ralph 2. Pixar is its own category), I feel Big Hero 6 easily had the most potential for a sequel. I mean, we barely glimpsed into the lives of the other 4 members besides Hiro and Baymax aside from seeing a bit of Fred's life, so there's room to develop the cast more plus the setting allows for some crazy technology for any future villains to use. I know there's an animated series for it as well but I just really want to see the cool action and world again in a big budget animated sequel.

Paltheos

Hm. I was underwhelmed, mostly. I watched it earlier this year and wasn't convinced by the personal drama. The villain-turn mid-way into the movie was also cheap but I think that's lesser among the movie's problems. (I also hated Olaf but that might have been a result of just not caring about much anything up to that point)

I will say that Let It Go immediately snapped me to attention, and while it didn't turn my feelings on the movie, there was one line Elsa sung... I don't remember it exactly, but it was pretty clearly a declaration of independence and non-conformity that didn't quite fit her character that immediately had me think, "There it is. That's why everyone loves this movie."

Incidentally, I watched Treasure Planet this year. Wish I'd watch it sooner. Fantastic movie, right up there near the top of my favorite Disney movies for sure. And yeah, that dumb robot is the... only(?) blemish on the movie. It's really fucking good.

Doom85

The villain-turn mid-way into the movie was also cheap but I think that's lesser among the movie's problems.

There's actually very clever foreshadowing to the reveal. When Hans and the two guards confront Elsa, one aims his crossbow at her and Hans grabs the bow and pushes it upwards as the guard fires. So Hans meant to save Elsa's life, right? Nope, right as the guard is aiming for her, Hans quickly looks up. Then he does the whole grabbing the bow and the bolt hits the ice chandelier above which comes crashing down, nearly hitting Elsa. He meant to kill her right there but it would have both looked like an accident and he would have looked like a hero for trying to save her life further earning Anna and the kingdom's trust even more.

I'm glad they kept it to just that, a skilled psychopath who's put on a fake persona shouldn't exactly be doing anything to make it obvious to the audience that he's not what he seems. It's meant to be just as shocking it is to us as it is to Anna as it's a wake-up call for her about the dangers of being so open to someone you barely know (Anna and Elsa's arcs are basically about the dangers of the most extreme forms of extroverts and introverts respectively). And this was before Disney started feeling it was necessary to do a twist involving their villain every single film so the concept wasn't overplayed when the movie came out, only recent one before Frozen that did it was Wreck-it-Ralph and sure King Candy being bad was pretty obvious but not so much him being Turbo. I felt Zootopia using a villain-related twist worked, but it didn't feel that necessary in Big Hero 6 or Moana.

GreyHorace

Not a majority opinion, but I thought Frozen was the blandest and most boring Disney animated feature I've seen (not as boring as Pocahontas though). I'm still confused as to why it's so popular. Compared to the film that preceeded it, Tangled (which was amazing), Frozen was meh.

I liked some of the songs though. Especially For the First Time and of course, Let It Go.

Will just watch this on video probably. Not really hyped about it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Not a majority opinion, but I thought Frozen was the blandest and most boring Disney animated feature I've seen (not as boring as Pocahontas though). I'm still confused as to why it's so popular. Compared to the film that preceeded it, Tangled (which was amazing), Frozen was meh.

I liked some of the songs though. Especially For the First Time and of course, Let It Go.

Will just watch this on video probably. Not really hyped about it.

Story-wise it was nothing special, for sure, but people love it for the visuals and the songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't like the first one but I might like this if it has more action in it.

Will wait til it has been out for 2/3 weeks as I hate when it is crowded and with kids screaming.

Rawker

As a father of 2 girls and a frozen expert I'm happy for a new one. The first was a great film for my kids to watch at a young age and the new one looks like it'll be more of the same. You can not pick the first one but the characters, music, story, animation, visuals were all top notch and there weren't any fast forward moments like some Disney movies that were too dark for any age. A lot of Disney movies have very dark moments that are not for kids and this franchise isn't one of those so I'm more than happy to hop aboard the hype train.

Link1110

This trailer made me wonder if Elsa has more powers than just simply being able to make ice...cause like...running across a bunch of rocks like that and not even flinching is some serious super human shit.

...not to mention somehow not getting impaled to death by ice debris caused by the wave breaking up her bridge and then crashing down into her.

Elsa could take the Hulk 1v1 is what I'm saying
She's essentially a superhero with ice powers. If a Frozen franchise doesn't work out, they can always put her in the MCU.

petran79

Banned

I agree and I think that The Rescuers 1 and Basil the Great Mouse Detective are one of the best Disney movies too and very underrated

Hulk_Smash

Banned
There's actually very clever foreshadowing to the reveal. When Hans and the two guards confront Elsa, one aims his crossbow at her and Hans grabs the bow and pushes it upwards as the guard fires. So Hans meant to save Elsa's life, right? Nope, right as the guard is aiming for her, Hans quickly looks up. Then he does the whole grabbing the bow and the bolt hits the ice chandelier above which comes crashing down, nearly hitting Elsa. He meant to kill her right there but it would have both looked like an accident and he would have looked like a hero for trying to save her life further earning Anna and the kingdom's trust even more.

I'm glad they kept it to just that, a skilled psychopath who's put on a fake persona shouldn't exactly be doing anything to make it obvious to the audience that he's not what he seems. It's meant to be just as shocking it is to us as it is to Anna as it's a wake-up call for her about the dangers of being so open to someone you barely know (Anna and Elsa's arcs are basically about the dangers of the most extreme forms of extroverts and introverts respectively). And this was before Disney started feeling it was necessary to do a twist involving their villain every single film so the concept wasn't overplayed when the movie came out, only recent one before Frozen that did it was Wreck-it-Ralph and sure King Candy being bad was pretty obvious but not so much him being Turbo. I felt Zootopia using a villain-related twist worked, but it didn't feel that necessary in Big Hero 6 or Moana.
Or Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2. Or Incredibles 2. Or Up. Or Toy Story 3.

Doom85

Or Cloudy with a chance of meatballs 2. Or Incredibles 2. Or Up. Or Toy Story 3.

Haven't seen Cloudy though I mean to get around to it. You are right about Incredibles. The latter two, it's been too long since I saw Up to remember when the villain reveals himself, but honestly it happens so quickly in Toy Story 3 that I didn't really see it as a twist villain. Most of the examples I gave usually save the reveal for the final act, Lotso showed his true colors way earlier than that.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I just came back from this and I am stunned. It is the best film Disney has ever put out. Aside from the incredible artwork and great music, it has profound and rightful moral lessons for all nations and deep dives into existential struggle from different angles that individuals within those nations must face. It is an absolutely brilliant work of art while maintaining a perfect flow and entertainment value.

McCheese

Thought this was just okay.

All the songs are too forgettable, as having woken up the next day, the only one I can remember enough to hum would be Christoff's intentionally bad solo, or at least I hope that song was intentionally bad as it was by far the most entertaining.

The story is the exact same set of characters set out on another risky adventure, only there isn't any risk as it's a Disney movie and you 100% know every character will be fine. The plot mostly seemed like an excuse for Elsa to transform her outfit or hair every 30 minutes, and the shoe-horned in spirit animals felt like blatant toy marketing due to how one dimensional they were as characters and added nothing to the plot.

Visually it was top-notch but somewhat bland, the setting is 95% photorealistic landscapes - neato, but a huge step backwards from the original in terms of fantastic set pieces.

But my biggest gripe is how poorly they integrated the songs into the film, every time they break into song they get teleported to a Final Fantasy 8 summon animation (i.e. no background at all) which was just weird, Tangled and Moana both did an incredible job of blending its songs into the actual world/story.

So in short - nowhere near as good as Moana or Tangled, and not quite as good as Frozen 1 - this film felt like it was made by too many people trying to tick too many boxes.

Last edited:

Doom85

I loved Frozen 1. This one is pretty good but definitely a step-down for me.

Pros:

-Elsa and Anna's characters were handled well (until the ending, but more on that below)
-while they did make Olaf a bit more vocal in this one (it's impressive how much of his jokes in the first one are kinda soft-spoken, like they knew if he was more loud it might get annoying), generally most of his jokes landed for me
-the songs are definitely not on par with the first one's, but they're alright. Into the Unknown was the most memorable to me
-fleshing out the parents more to make it clear they were good people who were just in over their heads and trying to figure this situation out was a nice touch

Cons:

-Kristoff is pretty pointless in this one
-the forest villagers are all undeveloped and forgettable. The castle guard Mattias was pretty good though
-the climax felt rushed. In the first one, Hans' reveal and everything after does take a bit. Hans lies to everyone that Anna died, Olaf saves Anna, Kristoff races through the shipyard to get to her, Hans lies to Elsa so she gives up hope and leaves herself defenseless against Han, Anna sacrifices herself, and Elsa revives her as it's her true love for her sister that was the key. It's not a long climax, but it's a reasonable length. In 2 (keeping it vague to avoid spoilers), Anna figures out what she needs to do, has a brief stalling due to having to convince a few people, she does the thing, and then Elsa does a thing after that. It felt like it took like 3-4 minutes max and just kinda came and went too quickly
-the ending is not satisfying. For a good portion of the movie, they're setting up for this bittersweet ending that would have been interesting, only to subvert it and not go that route at the very last second, BUT THEN suddenly in the final few minutes we're given a completely different type of bittersweet ending that feels like it came out of nowhere. More in the spoiler section:

So Elsa stays behind in the forest to keep an eye on the forest while Anna gets married and is made Queen of Arendelle. Here's why this ending didn't land for me:

-why do the spirits need watching? The whole reason they went out of control and locked everyone up was due to the girls' grandfather killing the village chief and starting a battle. Now no one is going to start shit so the spirits should be calm for the foreseeable future. If we're meant to believe the spirits might go nuts again because.......something, the movie failed to establish that
-Elsa has no one close to her in this village. Frozen 1 was focused on two character arcs showing the most extreme cases of introversion and extroversion: Elsa closing everyone off from her and Anna being fully open to everyone without considering the risk. Now the 2nd movie ends with Elsa kind of alone again. Yeah, they gave her like one moment where she talks to the forest village girl a bit, and obviously she'll get to know the forest villagers as a whole more as time goes on, but to just end the movie right there is really unsatisfying. Elsa herself said earlier, "everyone close to me in this castle" so to yank her away from every single one of them for an unclear reason felt like a middle finger. I know she'll visit often as the letter mentioned her attending the next game night, but that doesn't really satisfy me
-Wreck-it-Ralph 2 and Toy Story 4 had similar endings but were actually properly set up during their movies so they didn't come out of nowhere. Now, I do prefer Frozen 2 over Wreck-it-Ralph 2, but WiR 2 at least progressed to the ending instead of just throwing it in at the last scene. And Toy Story 4 handled it FAR better. If they had just ended Frozen 2 with letting the water overrun the castle and the surrounding village, that would have been fine. And have the final scene showing Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, and everyone begin building a new home nearby. It would be a bittersweet ending that the movie actually built up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Responding to Doom85 Doom85
If they had just ended Frozen 2 with letting the water overrun the castle and the surrounding village, that would have been fine. And have the final scene showing Elsa, Anna, Kristoff, and everyone begin building a new home nearby. It would be a bittersweet ending that the movie actually built up.
If my interpretation is correct for the intent, that would send a really radical political message that we must destroy or give up everything we are currently benefiting from to find justice for past offenses. Given that they are relating to indigenous peoples in the film, I actually worried that they would go this direction and was greatly relieved they didn't.

Christoff's intentionally bad solo, or at least I hope that song was intentionally bad as it was by far the most entertaining.
Whaaaat? It was great. The visuals had obvious Queen references but it felt a lot more ELO to me. Delightful.

Also the total scene breakaway with the songs I felt was in the style of theater shows where often the whole background dims as a person sings their solo and helped me get wrapped up in their feelings.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Went and saw this with my kids (6 and 3) over the break and we had a great time. I feel like the plot was a bit convoluted, and the songs were not as memorable as the first one, but honestly the first Frozen didn't grow on me until I had seen it multiple times at home as it got played pretty much every other day for months in my house after we bought the Blu-ray, so Frozen 2 will be the same. Some of the visuals were insanely good and almost photorealistic at times.

Top Bottom