• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Frustrated with Contact Lenses

Status
Not open for further replies.
DEO3 said:
How do you avoid getting the finger you're putting them in with wet? Like I use that finger to take the lens out of the case, and by doing so it gets just as wet as the lens, which then makes it very difficult to latch onto my eye since it doesn't want to break from my wet finger. Also I seem to be going through a lot of solution, after every couple of attempts I drop the lens back in the case to clean/wet it, but the solution gets dirt in it pretty quickly and I find myself constantly having to change it out every 5-10 minutes of attempts.

I purposefully get my hands wet to ensure that there are is nothing that can get between the contact and my eye. Any little spec of dust or dirt drives me nuts.

There isn't much contact area between the tip of your index finger and the contact itself.

My ritual is this:

1. Wash hands off.
2. Turn off faucet with back of hand.
3. Balance contact on tip of wet index finger.
4. Use free hand to draw upper eyelid up.
5. Use middle finger of occupied hand to draw lower eyelid down.
6. Insert contact.

I've never had a problem with a contact sliding back into my eye unless I fall asleep with them on. The only time I ever had one fall out was when I let my eye get dry by not blinking enough.

DEO3 said:
They told me everyone has trouble at first and to stick with it, eventually they were right and thirty minutes later I had put both in, as well as having to take one out and due to it not sitting right, taken one out and placed it back in due to it not sitting right. After an hour of adjusting to the new prescription I really started to fall in love with them. Later that day when it was time to remove them it took me only 10 minutes to get both out, and I was feeling pretty good about myself.
Wha?! :lol 10 minutes to take them out? You literally grab them with your finger tips and pull them off. Even for your first time I can't imagine.

Anyways, stick with it for a couple of days. Maybe your eyes are just super sensitive because you're not used to touching them. I assume you blink like crazy and your eyelashes knock around and fold up the lens. Eventually you'll get to the point with, the contact on your finger, you just poke your eye and rub it around until it sticks. You're also probably making them too wet, don't squirt solution in them or else it'll just bubble on your eye and fall off the first time you blink. I usually pick the contact out of the solution with one hand and then gently set it on my other dry finger to put into my eye - no reason your finger should be very wet at all.

It literally takes me seconds to put my contacts in now-a-days and I don't even use a mirror... occasionally even do it while driving.

RedShift

I got so frustrated when I first tried them. Took me just as long or longer than you. But after a week you start to the hang of it, your eyes learn to stop reflexing. Now I'm at the point where its easy.

Its so worth it, you can go outside when its raining without worrying about being able to see, you can see shit that's to the side of you, definitely better than glasses.

DEO3 said:
How do you avoid getting the finger you're putting them in with wet? Like I use that finger to take the lens out of the case, and by doing so it gets just as wet as the lens, which then makes it very difficult to latch onto my eye since it doesn't want to break from my wet finger. Also I seem to be going through a lot of solution, after every couple of attempts I drop the lens back in the case to clean/wet it, but the solution gets dirt in it pretty quickly and I find myself constantly having to change it out every 5-10 minutes of attempts.
For me, getting my finger wet isn't really an issue, just try keeping to some of the other strategies in this thread and you should get there eventually. BTW you may want to consider dailies as well unless you plan on wearing them all the time, it completely removes the hassle of replacing the solution and putting the lenses back.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Like everyone else said: stick with it. Mine used to pop out all the time when I first started, but after about 10 years I've only lost 2 contacts and never have trouble putting them on in the morning without a mirror.

jersoc

I just got contact 2 months ago. Hell, the first time I went an hour later I didn't even have one in and scheduled to go back a week later. I practiced just putting my finger to my eye and when I went back only took about 10 mins to them in.

Do you use soft lenses? Get something called an eye plunger. it has helped me a great deal for putting them in. just hold your eye open with one hand and use the other and plunger to put the contact in. this will help a ton. i went from taking 30 mins to putting them, to about 10 minutes the same week with this. now I can put them in first time and taking them out is a breeze.

a week later it should be no thing. your mind will realize you're just putting contacts in and not poking your eye. you'll be relaxed and shouldn't blink or pysche yourself out anymore.

maharg

idspispopd
Antagon said:
How can everyone have so much trouble with it? I god (hard) contact lenses a couple of months back and got the first one in on the first try. Took a couple more attempts when I got back home but never took more then a couple of minutes. Getting them out took a bit longer at first, but goes in seconds now as well.

Getting dust under these lenses is hell though.

I'm pretty sure nearly everyone in this thread is talking about soft lenses. Which are very very different from hard lenses.

It'll get a bit wet, of course, but it doesn't have to get soaking. I put the lenses in the case facing down, then use one finger to pluck them out of the case (just stick my finger in and the contact sticks to it), which leaves it upside down on that finger. Then I touch it to the index finger I'm gonna put it into my eye with and it ends up on that finger the right way around.

Also, don't worry too much about how other people do it. There are standard strategies, and taking what works from what people say can be helpful, but there's really no one who can figure out how best to stick a finger in your eye than yourself. It tends to be a very individual ritual overall.

Advice to OP: You'll eventually get it if you stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can :lol

I've been wearing them for about 10 years now and the only problem I run into is them drying out during the day: worst feeling ever. Makes me want to get the laser even more.

Anyone use the Acuve Oasis brand? Do they stay moist all day long?

DEO3 said:
How do you avoid getting the finger you're putting them in with wet? Like I use that finger to take the lens out of the case, and by doing so it gets just as wet as the lens, which then makes it very difficult to latch onto my eye since it doesn't want to break from my wet finger.

Use your other hand?

I take the contact out of the case with one hand and put it on the tip of my index finger on the other hand. Then I put an extra drop of solution into the contact, pull my lower lid down with my middle finger and push the contact in with the index finger on the same hand.

It definitely takes practice and I don't wear them that much anymore out of laziness, and I hate the dry/irritated feeling I get at the end of the day. But they're a great option and I do see a lot better with them than with glasses.

thewesker said:
Never EVER sleep with them on. I just gave you the best advice you'll ever receive.

why? I sleep with mine in, and keep them in sometimes for 2 weeks at a time.

unrelated: for some reason, gaming with contacts makes them REALLY dry, and it's not because I'm not blinking enough - I force myself to blink while gaming with contacts. My vision just gets gradually more blurry as I play. On a couple occasions I've had one pop right out of my eyeball.

That's what I use. See above comments

Drey1082

I love having contacts. I've had them for about 8-9 years. Everyone starts out the same, and it definitely gets easier. It's so great to not wear glasses at all times.

jersoc

Mac the KNife said:
Advice to OP: You'll eventually get it if you stick with it. If I can do it, anyone can :lol

I've been wearing them for about 10 years now and the only problem I run into is them drying out during the day: worst feeling ever. Makes me want to get the laser even more.

why not just get a small bottle of the rewetting drops? that's what I use. it sorta stings the eyes though, but that only lasts a few seconds and it's not like OMG IM DYING PAIN. it just feels like you got a lash in your eye or something.

Alucrid

Banned
Yeah, don't worry, everyone's a pussy at first. I almost cried the first time but now I just pop 'em in and out, no need for a mirror either.

Deadstar

Hey DEO3, here's my tip. The only way I can put in contacts is to have my head facing the floor and then to look away. If I look straight I blink when the contact hits my eye. By looking away I'm able to put it in there without any trouble.

Clean your contacts with solution then make sure you don't have too much on your finger or in the contact or else they'll stick to your finger and they won't come off.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Mac the KNife said:

I got them a couple years ago and they are glorious. It used to be that when I took my contacts out, it used to feel like a breath of fresh air on my eyes. Now I can't tell the difference between having them in or out. I've actually fallen asleep with them in because I forgot to take them out thinking I already did.

maharg

idspispopd
I live in a very dry climate. Even the best contacts still dry my eyes out after about 8-12 hours. No way I could sleep with them in.

drmcclin said:
That's what I use. See above comments
I think I'll give them a try on my next resupply.

jersoc said:
why not just get a small bottle of the rewetting drops? that's what I use. it sorta stings the eyes though, but that only lasts a few seconds and it's not like OMG IM DYING PAIN. it just feels like you got a lash in your eye or something.

Yeah I've always avoided this, but I'll have to take a swing at it in the meantime.

Kyuuketsu_Night said:

that's pretty creepy that she has like 200 different contacts. "Now these are the VS-200JR's, and I wear these mostly when..." I didn't realize people wore them as fashion statements, I just wear mine to see. :lol

Mac the KNife said:

That's what I use. And I usually leave them in for weeks at a time. It's a terrible habit but it's so hard to care about taking them out at night. I hardly ever think about wearing them.

MoxManiac

I had the same problem at first. I was persistant, though. I find glasses annoying to wear, so I really wanted contacts. Now it's second nature, I can pop them in and rip them out in no time flat.

Another vote of confidence in Acuvue Oasys. They're excellent and believe me, the quality of the contact does make a huge difference.

Doytch

WickedAngel said:
Another vote of confidence in Acuvue Oasys. They're excellent and believe me, the quality of the contact does make a huge difference.
Switching from the Advance (2?) when my current box runs out. Had to get myself reassured by the eye doctor that 8.4 was fine if I use 8.7 currently. :D

entremet

Drey1082 said:
I love having contacts. I've had them for about 8-9 years. Everyone starts out the same, and it definitely gets easier. It's so great to not wear glasses at all times.
Same here. I'm too scared to get lasik, but I hate wearing glasses. I'll wait ten years until the long term effects are recorded.

rise888

sorry to threadjack, but what is everyone's favorite brand of contacts?

I used "Vertex" for a couple of years because it was pushed upon me by my optometrist, but recently just switched to Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism. What a world of difference! Before my eyes would get really irritated after having the contacts in for ~10 hours but with the Oasys I can easily go all day and night.

rise888 said:

I used "Vertex" for a couple of years because it was pushed upon me by my optometrist, but recently just switched to Acuvue Oasys for astigmatism. What a world of difference! Before my eyes would get really irritated after having the contacts in for ~10 hours but with the Oasys I can easily go all day and night.

OH YEAH

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
I just got mine a couple of months ago, I tried it first at the shop and it took me a little over an hour. I tried again at home but after like 30-40 minutes I got frustrated and stopped after a few days of trying.

I'll try again when I have some time, I find it very odd that you get very easily frustrated since I'm usually calm about these things. Is it possible that because you keep sticking your finger in your eyes and eventually tears come out it also has some hormonal effect?

Cardigan

rise888 said:

I've never really had a choice of lenses. Because of my allergies, I have contacts that should be replaced every two weeks (I never do this, I wear them until they break). I think I have Acuvue, and have never had a problem with them.

MIMIC

Banned
:lol OP reminds me of when I first got contacts...although I don't think it ever took me that long to put them in and pop them out. =p

But like the doc said, it take a while to get used to them. Been wearing them for years and now I can put them in in 10 seconds and pop them out in 5 seconds.....and without ever using a mirror.

And I don't wash my contacts with my fingers anymore. Takes way too much time =p. I just put them both in the case and shake it up really hard for a few seconds. I only "wash" them when I accidentally drop them or something.

I remember when I was younger and I thought that I could use water to wet my contacts when they got dry. lol....worst decision ever.

Ovid

DEO3 said:
I've worn glasses for close to twenty years, but for some reason yesterday when deciding to update my prescription with an eye exam, I told them I wanted to try contact lenses. So after the exam they sat me down at a table to teach me how to put them in and take them out - fifteen minutes into this I was frustrated, stressed, sweating even, because I still hadn't been able to insert even one of the lenses.

They told me everyone has trouble at first and to stick with it, eventually they were right and thirty minutes later I had put both in, as well as having to take one out and due to it not sitting right, taken one out and placed it back in due to it not sitting right. After an hour of adjusting to the new prescription I really started to fall in love with them. Later that day when it was time to remove them it took me only 10 minutes to get both out, and I was feeling pretty good about myself.

So now today I wake up and decided before doing anything, before eating cereal, before taking a show, I was going to put in my contacts. I knew it was probably going to be stressful so I loaded up some chill music on my MP3 and got to it. FORTY MINUTES later and I still haven't been able to insert even one of the fucking things. In my frustration I started punching walls and screaming at shit around my house.

Every time I make contact with my eye they either stick to my finger as I pull it away, or just fall out and need to be rinsed off in solution. I can't even tell if they're inside out or not, they're supposed to have a noticeable lip when inside out but I've flipped them both ways and they have the exact same bowl-like shape. I've been watching these how-to videos of people putting in contacts and just watching those is stressing me out - fuckers never even blink.

Dude it takes time. I use to be the same way. The first time I got the hang of putting them in was on September 11th (when I heard the towers were gone). I must have put my contacts in within 5 seconds. Up until that day it took at minimum 10 minutes. :lol

undrtakr900

DEO3 said:
[Frustrated with Contact Lenses]
I know you pain man, but here a tip I do that made it so much easier for me:

Inserting: Use your two middle fingers to hold your eyelids open (contact-hand holds the bottom lid)

Removing: Also use the same technique, with your eyes open gently pinch the contact with your thumb and index finger.

I had contacts a little over a year now and can take it in and out with no problem, just practice when you have free time, it gets much easier like everyone said.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Have been using contacts since I was 11. I'm pretty much a master at putting them in anywhere. I some times use the index finger but usually use the middle finger technique where I use my index and the ring finger to open up my eye lid while I slide the contact in with my middle finger.

Sucks that my eyes are dry now and I think the contacts I currently have are kind of fucked up. My eyes get bothered really easily now.

tarius1210 said:
What happens if your contactts roll to the back of your eye? How do you get it out?
Spend an hour staring in a mirror prodding your red, burning, blood shot eye as you search for the folded up piece of plastic hiding in the corner somewhere. Every once and a while thinking you found it only to pinch and pull at a vein popping out of your cornea by mistake.

Tip: Don't rub your eyes when you have contacts in

tarius1210 said:
What happens if your contactts roll to the back of your eye? How do you get it out?

You usually blink it out. There have been one or two times where it was deep in there and I had to work it out by drawing the eyelid back a bit and slowly getting it out with my finger.

Doytch said:
Switching from the Advance (2?) when my current box runs out. Had to get myself reassured by the eye doctor that 8.4 was fine if I use 8.7 currently. :D

I was OK with the Advance 2's but the Advance contacts bothered my eyes. I wonder what the difference is.

jersoc

tarius1210 said:

fuck, i have this happen to me rarely while putting them. I must blink too hard and push them down too fast. holy shit, this is the worst god damn thing in the world. You can't just pull them out either. it feels like you have 30 eye lashes in your eye.

I pretty much just try to hold my eye open and put my head down to let the tears push the lense out. then my eye is red for like 20 mins :|

the biggest thing is resisting the urge to rub your eye when this happens.

Jayge

Wow, I had no idea people usually had this much trouble. I don't really know what to advise. Just keep the lens hydrated, spread your eyelids wide with your free hand and try to look up a bit, using your peripherals and the mirror to put the contact in right at dead-center. That's what I used to do.

Don't stress though; although it never took me more than 5 minutes to put my contacts in, I can do it in less than 30 seconds now, no mirror, easy as pie. You'll be able to do that too. Give it a few months.

Honestly, if you just get your eyes used to the poking feeling, you'll be fine. I'm not necessarily advicing you to sit around and poke your eyes, but if it helps, go for it.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I have worn lenses for about 10 years and I did not have any issues like that in the beggining.

But last year I tried a new brand/material that are supposedly better and I had the worst time with them. Took forever to get in my eye and always rolled up into my head. They were too thin and too flexible, too floppy I guess.

So I would suggest trying a different brand before giving up. They all are subtly different. Have your doctor order you a trial pair from every manufacturer and every style. See which you like best and have least issues with and try those for 6-12 months and see.

I tried 6 newer/better types before going back to my old trusty brand because none of the others worked out. I wear Vertex Toric now.

KnightM7

Banned
How often you guys throw away your contacts? I thought I was living a little dangerous going 2 months but I got friends who wear monthly contacts for almost half a year or more.

Also, I definitely suggest getting the brand that you can sleep in, they work great for me. I hated getting drunk and then waking up with dry contacts.

DEO3

Trip update: After spending the rest of the morning/early afternoon relaxing a bit, and after reading a lot of the responses to this thread, I went back and tried again, getting both in about ten minutes. Things that really helped were first and foremost everyone saying they went through the exact same thing as me, followed by looking off to the side a bit as to not get psyched out by my finger coming closer and closer and by keeping my finger dry so that they'd 'suck' onto my eye instead.

I had them in for five hours yesterday and am going to try working with them in tonight, hopefully I'm not at work too late as I'm only supposed to be wearing them for six to six and a half hours on my second day - at least according to the lady who showed me how to put them in yesterday.

KnightM7 said:
How often you guys throw away your contacts? I thought I was living a little dangerous going 2 months but I got friends who wear monthly contacts for almost half a year or more.

Also, I definitely suggest getting the brand that you can sleep in, they work great for me. I hated getting drunk and then waking up with dry contacts.

I usually go between a month/month and a half between new pairs, depending how much the current pair is bothering me. (Acuve 2)

AndyD

aka andydumi
KnightM7 said:

I also end up near 2 months in Vertex Torics. Sometimes more sometimes less but two boxes last me about a year until a new exam.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
It becomes much easier. I had similar experiences as you at first, but now I can put in and take out contacts without looking at a mirror with ease, as if I'm putting on socks or something.

I suggest not wearing contacts at night, I did that for 3 years and now if my eyes are closed for too long (half an hour or more) my contacts end up dried out and ruined. Chronic dry eye or something, I've never had it checked out.

Never had troubles putting them in or taking them out, don't know if it's a dexterity thing or psychological thing why some people can't do it. I fucking love my contacts.

I have monthly ones which you sleep in :).

mYm|17|

ahhh contact lenses. I started wearing them once I started playing alot of sports in college. They were such a pain to put in and take out every day.

So glad I got lasik last year.

First two weeks were very stressful for me when I got my contacts.

I had major problems inserting them into my eyes, cleaning them, getting them from my eyes. I wasn't very comfortable wearing them, I had that feeling like something was in my eye that doesn't belong there. I also destroyed several pairs in a few weeks because of various reasons.

And then, when two weeks went by, I started loving them and now, 2 years later, I wouldn't even think about going back to regular glasses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom