• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard

nordique

FTC arguments are so weak from my perspective.

but the court is the court and not reflective of my own opinion lol

Who knows which way it could go.

Swift_Star

Banned
FTC arguments are so weak from my perspective.

but the court is the court and not reflective of my own opinion lol

Who knows which way it could go.
Good thing your perspective is irrelevant since you’re not a lawyer.
I've heard Hoeg Law name come up a lot but i've never actually watched his stuff... holy crap he is ripping the FTC document to shreds. MS just needs to send this one guy into court against the FTC haha
sure, Jan.

Sony has created and dictated the direction of the industry so long that their way of doing business is now being accepted as the only way to do it and being regulated that way. We all know that Microsost is at a huge disadvantage in this situation due to consoles in the market.

That is wild when you think about it but I'm sure most people won't think beyond "haha Sony wins" or "haha Xbox wins."

I am very curious to see what happens with Activision if this deal is blocked. They wanted to be sold but I'm not sure how that happens if this deal falls through.
So then console sales are important? A lot of people have been saying that, especially this gen for awhile but hardcore Microsoft fans didn't want to hear it.

I've heard Hoeg Law name come up a lot but i've never actually watched his stuff... holy crap he is ripping the FTC document to shreds. MS just needs to send this one guy into court against the FTC haha
The only argument I kind of agree is the switch one.

Edit: and elements of the AAA argument.
(so far )

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If that's the case, we still have zero actual notes from the MS/EU meeting stating that MS wasn't going to make their games exclusive to Xbox.
The FTC has that info and made their notions on that. You think they are not privy or don't have access to all that information from last time? These regulators, especially in the main economic areas, share information.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It would have probably been better if MS just bought Infinity Ward & Treyarch and the Call of Duty IP instead of the whole damn publisher.

Swift_Star

Banned
The FTC has that info and made their notions on that. You think they are not privy or don't have access to all that information from last time? These regulators, especially in the main economic areas, share information.
They’re getting this from ERA, and even on ERA there are already people demolishing the twisted interpretation from the MS PR. I suggest reading there before taking what adams and kvally are saying. They’re just parroting MS PR talk.

adamsapple

They’re getting this from ERA, and even on ERA there are already people demolishing the twisted interpretation from the MS PR. I suggest reading there before taking what adams and kvally are saying. They’re just parroting MS PR talk.

B7-B195-CD-3-D9-F-43-BF-8-FC8-E582-F265355-B.jpg

The rest of the article pictures are in this link

Please feel free to stop any time.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh boy, mods deleting my posts for "gaslighting" while leaving posts like this alone ..

Anyway, here are the pictures of the paywalled article, anyone who has concerns about this being Idas faking a copy paste can relax:

Paywall writing, on a market insight (see: Pachter type) site. No news from Bloomberg or the like, no news or a press release from the CMA/EU themselves.

Ok. Will wait for official channels.

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

Kvally

Banned
Lol, why are you stating my name? I haven't made any claims lol. Stop.

adamsapple

Paywall writing, on a market insight (see: Pachter type) site. No news from Bloomberg or the like, no news or a press release from the CMA/EU themselves.

Alright fam, once one of those goes live I'm sure someone will post it here if not me.

But this is a bit childish the "source ? no not that source" back and forth.

Last edited:

Solidus_T

cock block GIF

Any merger between giant corporations is not a beneficial thing for anyone except those at the top. There have already been too many across different industries in the last two decades. As a consumer no one should be cheering this on.
Exactly. The people in this thread cheering for the acquisition must have some stake in it, and by that I mean that they gambled on it.

cock block GIF

Any merger between giant corporations is not a beneficial thing for anyone except those at the top. There have already been too many across different industries in the last two decades. As a consumer no one should be cheering this on.
If MS and ABK merger goes through, this means I get a huge back catalog of games on Game Pass, and future games. Sounds pro-consumer to me.

Ronin_7

FTC sued because they know CMA & EC are also suing lol

If CMA had this Deal passed on phase 1 alongside EU i doubt FTC would Block.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Alright fam, once one of those goes live I'm sure someone will post it here if not me.

But this is a bit childish the "source ? no not that source" back and forth.
It's not childish. Sources matter. Which is why I said I will wait for actual sources from the horses mouth, not marketing analysis firms that represent hedge funds that possibly have vested interest in the deal succeeding for the stock payout.

Last edited:

sainraja

Because nobody will need a console to play any of those games. Or even to pay 70$. Anybody will be able to play any of those games on the devices they already have and for the cost of a sandwich.
You’re too allergic to the name Microsoft to see it but it’s the simple truth. The ABK deal is extremely good for consumers.
I wish you could listen to yourself.

Some of you automatically assume that people love streaming over having a dedicated device. The choice, if taken away, is gone from those people, something they currently DO have. If they have the box MS wants them to have, then that's a non-issue but I don't think the person you are quoting was referring to them/nor in the scenario he was mentioning.

Last edited:

Chiggs

Fun facts:
  • Just because the FTC is suing to block doesn't mean they'll win.
  • Just because the FTC might have a weak argument doesn't mean they'll lose.
As always, it's going to come down to: who did the best Judge Shopping. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

But for Phil, even if MS wins, he should be replaced. He's screwed up this whole thing, and his nice guy schtick just sucks. Boy, what a mess.

3liteDragon

Dude, you're embarrassing yourself here.

MS started the purchasing discussions. They approached ABK with an acquisition proposition. Original price at 90$/share.

ABK then discussed with others to gauge the biggest offer, no one matched. The board wanted 95$/share.

MS accepted that price point.

It's straight from MS docs they filed to the FTC
Quick correction: They filed that stuff with the SEC, not the FTC.

That lawsuit is pretty fucking dumb. Which I don't how to feel about it, because people working at that level have superior education and you will expect for that to show in such document.

I was trying to get clarification on WHO this watchdog they are referring to is. But the article is paywalled.

It could easily just be some lobbyist group calling themselves a watchdog group. Not an official government entity.

There are no other news sites reporting details on this yet.

JimRyanGOAT

Whats the difference between the FTC & SEC?

And isn't it usually normal that government agencies like the SEC & FTC ALWAYS win?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I was trying to get clarification on WHO this watchdog they are referring to is. But the article is paywalled.

It could easily just be some lobbyist group calling themselves a watchdog group. Not an official government entity.

It doesn't say. All it is doing is repeating MS PR. Sounds like this marketing analsys firm has vested interest to their hedgefund clients. ;)

Swift_Star

Banned

Because it is a reply to an e-mail sent by them. We don't know how the e-mail was worded and it could be worded in a way that lead them to reply what they wanted to read.
So it has no legal grounds or real relevance.

How so? They get $3 billion to invest and they have the largest launch of CoD ever. There will be executive restructuring possibly.
They were watching stocks plummet before this deal. They were not willing to sell until their backs were against the wall.

If this falls through, just watch their stocks tank quickly and immediately. Not to mention, their right back to have to figuring out what to do with Bobby Kotick.

I'm not saying that Activision just goes away, but they will be in a very difficult place.

Top Bottom