• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTC Seeks to Block Microsoft Corp’s Acquisition of Activision Blizzard

trikster40

Glad to see this happening. It would set a dangerous precedent.

Microsoft went down the “let’s buy studios to make games” route. Didn’t work, so now they’ve been going down the “buy publishers so we own all the IP” route.

If this goes through, it won’t stop. EA would be next, then they’d start going for the few Japanese publishers that are left.

chigstoke

Jezz Corden typing furiously:
u4An2DJ.gif
tense1983-rage.gif

Ar¢tos

I don't think Sony bought a huge publisher back then. But I could be wrong since I'm not familiar with that history. At the time all I cared about was my PS1 games. Plus my N64 was awesome as well. So many good memories.

Happy Season 1 GIF by NETFLIX
Has Sony ever bought a publisher? I see them buying individual studios, but I don't remember them ever buying a publisher with multiple studios.

Activision Blizzard isn't happy about this either: https://www.polygon.com/23500417/microsoft-activision-blizzard-deal-ftc-lawsuit-acquisition

“The FTC’s job is to protect consumers, not competitors,” said Lulu Cheng Meservey, executive vice president of corporate affairs and chief communication officer at Activision Blizzard. “This vote departs from precedent but the law hasn’t changed. Any claim the deal is anticompetitive ignores facts; the deal benefits gamers and the industry, especially given competition from abroad. We look forward to proving our case in court and closing our deal with Microsoft.”

7jSD0jY.png

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
Easily, happened with Time Warner and ATT. It happened with Sprint and TMobile too if I'm not mistaken. They sued and won the appeals. I think with Sprint and TMobile, they found some kinda loophole after the initial purchase failed where instead of Sprint buying TMobile, Tmobile bought Sprint. I don't know exact details but basically it went through the 2nd time they tried.

Edit: I won't say easily, but it's definitely possible.
ABK just needs to buy Microsoft

kaizenkko

The agency cited Microsoft’s acquisition of game developer ZeniMax, and it says that the company’s subsidiary made titles including “Starfield” and “Redfall” exclusive to Microsoft devices despite previous assurances to European regulators.
Basically this! It's funny to see Microsoft's weak and pointless advances, such as signing a deal with Nintendo. But what's the point of it? Activision alone is fully capable of offering COD to Nintendo, this is not a concession, this does not represent that Microsoft is committed to offering games to more people, it is just a very, very weak argument.

Kvally

Banned
Glad to see this happening. It would set a dangerous precedent.

Microsoft went down the “let’s buy studios to make games” route. Didn’t work, so now they’ve been going down the “buy publishers so we own all the IP” route.

If this goes through, it won’t stop. EA would be next, then they’d start going for the few Japanese publishers that are left.
It hasn't stopped Sony from buying publishers and developers. Hopefully this does go through. We need more competition.

Pelta88

It's in the nature of big tech, or any big enough corporation, to buy out smaller competitors.

Competing on equal terms is hard and risky, so why do it when you can just throw money around?

I hear what your saying but I'm of the view that this isn't big tech. It's creativity. Arguably art. Microsoft refuses to invest in actual developers to bring that creativity and art to the fore. Weird, right?

FTC was honestly the one I least expected to attempt the block. UK and EU following suit seems likely, especially considering the FTC are alleging Microsoft basically lied to EU authorities during the Bethesda acquisition.
I agree. USA's anti-trust laws are much more relaxed compared to Europe, so if the FTC wants the block the deal then you know shit is looking pretty bad.

You just want $1 acti/blizz games...

I don't own and likely will never own an Xbox.

Bungie is the biggest that I'm aware of. But they certainly made some pretty big concessions to get them. Definitely unusual for a Sony acquisition.

Sony also bought Psygnosis for an undisclosed amount. Though doubtful it was worth 2.4 (3.6) billion even adjusting for inflation.

EU & CMA blocking is what Will kill this Deal.

CMA holds All the power in the UK, it's scary lol

If the FTC is moving to block this, you can count on the CMA and EU to follow suit. They'll need to fight this across multiple fronts and it'll likely tie them up for years, blunting much of the value they're looking for.

Swift_Star

Banned
This is one of the biggest antitrust lawsuits against big tech by the FTC that I can recall in the last 20 years, seems like kind of a big deal that could have wider implications outside of just this particular merger
I hope they go after Disney later and take fox out of them.

Ezekiel_

Banned
I hear what your saying but I'm of the view that this isn't big tech. It's creativity. Arguably art. Microsoft refuses to invest in actual developers to bring that creativity and art to the fore. Weird, right?
I don't think they see it as art though, that might be their issue.

They probably see it more as a business opportunity, where projections show that it's a growth sector, so they need to invest, and in this case, buy competitors.

dorkimoe

Just once I’d like to see someone other than Microsoft get blocked from buying companies. Meanwhile Disney owns everything.

Yeah, seizing control of the industry sure is good.
Don't think this will seize them control and is in reality entirely overbought.

Would probably go down as one of the worst M&As in history. All it takes it one COD killer to tank the value of a 70 billion dollar deal...

MikeM

“The agency cited Microsoft’s acquisition of game developer ZeniMax, and it says that the company’s subsidiary made titles including “Starfield” and “Redfall” exclusive to Microsoft devices despite previous assurances to European regulators.”

Is this true? If so, oof.

Top Bottom