• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: a game about managing a spaceship in an infinite galaxy

Emitan

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/64409699/ftl-faster-than-light/posts/299186

More good news. $10 backers will be getting an early release of the steam version of the game within the next 48 hours.

UcnYn.gif

cametall

This game isn't on Steam Greenlight to vote for is it? I haven't seen it yet so I am assuming it won't be up there...

Or maybe at a later date.

Sober

Kinda wished I backed this earlier. Hearing about it and reading about it sounds way more awesome than I believed at first.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
Just registered my beta/retail key.

irvZ45fSKJbzh.gif

Haven't seen anything of the game aside from a few minutes of footage and trailers... I'm thrilled to start playing.

Looking forward to when they release this to us silly enough not to back them. I was so tempted at the time but felt a bit over whelmed with the other recent backings (double fine and banner saga).

After reading comments on here I'll be getting this as soon as possible, it sounds really fun.

Acosta

This game is fucking awesome: simple, elegant, clear but with tons of possibilities, everything looks well thought and the interface is super intuitive. I love it.

The "one more try" is strong in this one.

taoofjord

Just played a few rounds of the beta and I absolutely love this game. They nailed it! It's the perfect blend of a sim and a roguelike. There are so many systems in play that can create interesting ways for you to die. It's one of the better examples of a game where you create your own story through the gameplay.

Perhaps I'm speaking too soon but it's probably the best indie roguelike I've played.

The game really is a roguelike for people who watch Star Trek and like to read space operas. I sometimes wish for a bit more stat-driven play due to personal biases ( that's just the kind of gamer I am ) but they'd likely get in the way of the game's action.

I finally (was in the recent wave of KS backers who got their keys over the weekend) beat the Rebel flagship this evening (normal difficultly), carried on the back of finding an early glaive beam as a drop in the late second system. The entire sequence of the last fight is pretty interesting though I worry it's going to be formulaic to approach repeatedly, with the approach to the fight the same each time and only the players ability to mitigate the fight's wide variance being different. I hope there's some additional variety added to the last fight in future content updates.

That's about my only gripe (and a very minor one) though. If this one doesn't get the same kind of cult following Binding of Isaac did it will be a real shame.

ARGH

I finally made it to the 7th sector and some how managed to get a fairly decent ship. I was in the middle of a fight in a nebula sector with a rebel scout when it FTL'd out of the fight before i could destroy it, and the game crashed.

T_T

Even though I backed the project, I ignored the beta when it came out. Finally downloaded after the Idle Thumbs stream.

LOVE. IT. So much that I brought my laptop to class and played it all through a lecture. I really gotta not do that again.

One question: I was in a nebula fighting a dude, and a fire broke out in one room. I had a guy put it out, but my oxygen kept going down for some reason? I checked every room for leaks but couldn't find any. I was having an especially good run so far too, so I'd like to know how to avoid that in the future.

Emitan

Even though I backed the project, I ignored the beta when it came out. Finally downloaded after the Idle Thumbs stream.

LOVE. IT. So much that I brought my laptop to class and played it all through a lecture. I really gotta not do that again.

One question: I was in a nebula fighting a dude, and a fire broke out in one room. I had a guy put it out, but my oxygen kept going down for some reason? I checked every room for leaks but couldn't find any. I was having an especially good run so far too, so I'd like to know how to avoid that in the future.

Didn't have doors open?

Didn't have a hull breach?

Life Support was fine?

It was powered?

Didn't have doors open?

Didn't have a hull breach?

Life Support was fine?

It was powered?

I can confidently say yes to all of that except to it being powered. That sounds like the kind of dumb mistake I would make.

I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some property of fire that caused oxygen to disappear.

Jintor

Dude, it's fire. Of course it takes oxygen from a room.

With lvl 3 oxygen you can actually replenish oxygen faster than it can get sucked out an airlock, lol

ShaneB

Seeing this thread bumped and I hoped to see a Steam release date, hear so many good things about this. Can't wait to finally play it.

Uriah

So how do I stop drones from murdering me? I tried to destroy that part of the ship but it only seems to temporarily stall them.

Did they send out Steam codes for backers yet? I didn't get mine yet.

Check your kickstarter account and/or the email address you registered there with. You should have received an email on the weekend and a beta key shortly after.

I can't seem to win... but I love losing and restarting.

r1chard

I've started a couple of dozen games now. Some ships don't make it to the middle sectors. One made it to the last sector before being obliterated quite quickly. I suspect there's something I'm missing... I've only unlocked the one Engi auto-unlock ship you get at sector 5...

I've started a couple of dozen games now. Some ships don't make it to the middle sectors. One made it to the last sector before being obliterated quite quickly. I suspect there's something I'm missing... I've only unlocked the one Engi auto-unlock ship you get at sector 5...

The game is super hard on Normal. The developers have said as such. This is part of the charm of the roguelike. I like that the game is balls hard on Normal mode, it means that even after I understand the game in and out I still have to work at winning.

I find that I have the most trouble early on when I take a bad early missile to my weapons array (can easily cost you huge amounts of hull damage over the span of a fight) . Putting an extra point early on into weapons for some additional damage buffer (so you can still fire at least one weapon to hopefully bring down their weapons) is not a bad idea. Fast Shields upgrades are nearly as useful since missiles go right through them and you need to spend power and TWO upgrades into shields to get the second level.

I'm becoming a fan of fast (2nd or third system) teleporters on ships that start with a Mantis or Rock. Capping ships intact is super strong.

r1chard

I finally caught a break: my Engy ship (the base one) with the Ion cannon and anti-ship drone picked up a blast laser II very early on. No reliance on ammunition and the laser can get through shields handily. Then I got another II - strength 4 shields are no match now. And then a defence drone so with my own strength 4 shields I don't have to worry about taking significant damage. It's now the second ship I got to the boss sector but it has a chance of winning...

Just like roguelikes there's a helluva lot of luck to it. Hmm.

Unlocked another Engy ship in this play through but still no others...

KPJZKC

You utter bastards.

Played the hell out of the demo on OnLive before, like 12 hours or so (for a demo!) but financial situation wasn't great during the kickstarter...

Now I get to wait for release and see all of you having fun :p

r1chard

Yep, that was one kick-ass ship. And then I lost all of a sudden because the boss got too close to the base. It was several jumps away, I'm sure of it :-(

YoThatLimp

Neo Member
I destroyed the flagship on easy today...but of course it shot out one last missile before it blew up and destroyed my ship.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I like the game but, though I've probably just scratched the surface, it's simpler and more limited than I had imagined based on the premise before seeing gameplay/playing it. It's a lot like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space but with different presentation and combat system etc. The player still clicks to go to new areas, see what encounter comes up, friendly or hostile, and how to best confront it with what's available. When I had imagined something more in depth like Escape Velocity x Bridge Commander.

This is my second most anticipated game this year behind xcom!! Cant wait till Friday when it's finally releaased. I meant to back it but when I went to kickstarter I had missed the close by a day! Been watching endless streams and videos since.

Moobabe

This is my second most anticipated game this year behind xcom!! Cant wait till Friday when it's finally releaased. I meant to back it but when I went to kickstarter I had missed the close by a day! Been watching endless streams and videos since.

Woah woah woah - THIS friday?

Skunkers

I like the game but, though I've probably just scratched the surface, it's simpler and more limited than I had imagined based on the premise before seeing gameplay/playing it. It's a lot like Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space but with different presentation and combat system etc. The player still clicks to go to new areas, see what encounter comes up, friendly or hostile, and how to best confront it with what's available. When I had imagined something more in depth like Escape Velocity x Bridge Commander.

God Escape Velocity was so good.

The game is really as good as it should be

When i lose i quit for the day but the next day im coming back for more.Hopefully they add a bunch of extra stuff (since they got such a successful kickstarter) but so far it seems that no playthrough is the same as before, which makes for some interesting stories to tell :)

Im currently at my best try, i got 5 crewmembers 4 weapons installed and almost 3 bars of shields, i was unstoppable with half of that so if nothing goes wrong (it will) ill survive for longer than the last time. ;)

Aselith

Check your kickstarter account and/or the email address you registered there with. You should have received an email on the weekend and a beta key shortly after.

I can't seem to win... but I love losing and restarting.

Ok, I sent them a message on this and I guess the beta key was the key to get the full game as well. I thought all backers got beta access though. Were there some tiers that didn't get the beta?

I wonder how they'll be handling downloads on their site. I'm looking forward to putting the DRM free version on my Macbook so I don't need steam.

I'll be buying this from Steam. I have monies in the wallet that need to be used.

Can't wait to try it!

As much as I love Steam, you should buy directly from the FTL website, you get access to the DRM free versions as well as a Steam key... and you're more directly supporting the developers.

Top Bottom