• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FTL: Advanced Edition |OT|: Now on iPad (and free update on PC!)

This one? Didn't know someone liked it, but thanks! Jodorowsky's Dune art is really great, though.

edit: Wow, terrible way to start the new page. So... mind control + a really good boarding crew is pretty OP, right?

xD
Sorry!

Naw, unless I am mixing you up with someone else, I thought you had a picture of the Tribunal. Sotha Sil, Nerevar and Almalexia.

Woorloog

Banned
Don't know about you others but i find the Slug B to be better boarding ship than the Mantis B. Of course, i haven't gotten a good start with the latter, despite trying it a lot...

So, I haven't fired it up post update, is everyone agreed it's worth going back to?

Are there any changes to overall design? To make things a little less frustrating?

The update makes it easier to unlock the C variants of all the ships. Now all you have to do to unlock a C variant of the ship is to get to sector 8.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Eh, Cs are a new thing, and Bs are are no easier or harder to unlock than before.

Yeah. To get C's you just have to get through sector 8 on any difficulty with a B layout.

I've still never played out a game with the slug ship though. Trying to go through all the A and B layouts right now and I've been having some outstanding luck so far.

'A' layouts are given an alternate way to unlock, though. If you were missing a couple, it's probable you'll get them unlocked as soon as you boot the advanced edition.
(does the Crystal Ship also unlock simply by finishing the game with the previous ship, or is it a special case and you still need to do the quest?)

Mass Effect 2: Normandy SR-2. Remember what happens to it? The Stealth B (DA-SR12) is quite like Normandy SR-2...
and what happened to me, is almost like what happened to the Normandy when the Collectors attacked.

Heh, that's pretty cool. You mean the
SR-1
, though, right?

Woorloog

Banned
Hmph. Had an awesome run with the Slug B (actually quite neat ship with the cloning tank, and some luck. Seriously, having even some weapons in the beginning helps a lot, compared to the Mantis B's none...). But it ended in defeat, i defeated the first form boss, then i went to repair but i calculate the route wrong and was too late to stop the boss from destroying the base.

Heh, that's pretty cool. You mean the
SR-1
, though, right?

Nope, the second one. The mid-game event, not the early early one. 'Sides, the first ship didn't have a "beam weapon".

DY_nasty

Mantis B probably gave me my best starts ever. I'd rather have two shields, two mantis bros, and a boarding drone over a LOT of weapon combinations.

Woorloog

Banned
Mantis B probably gave me my best starts ever. I'd rather have two shields, two mantis bros, and a boarding drone over a LOT of weapon combinations.

I just can't get a good start with it. And of course, i do prefer brute force over tricks like drones and boarding, though they're fun every now and then.
And by brute force i mean: Twin Vulcans, quad Flak Cannons (i haven't been able to do this but i can imagine it), quad Swarms (again, merely an idea), old fashioned quad Burst Lasers, and so on. There is nothing brute force can't beat. Boarding parties and drones don't work everywhere.

Heel

Agrhhhh. Progress, I think?

http://imgur.com/09f7SG1

Weapons absolutely sucked, but was able to beam guys on board to attack the drone room. Must've sent 3 or 4 waves, but they all died without doing much damage to the room itself lol. Couldn't lock down the room with hacking because the of the drones, which made it completely useless. I bet if I had a missile weapon I could've done it. I hung in there for a good while, but didn't really accomplish much.

Mantis Ship B is my favourite ship but you definitely need a lot of luck to get off to a good start. A couple of Zoltan ships and you're boned.

Cross posting from the other thread:

For those of you that have been playing with the Better Backgrounds / HD Planets mods, you probably noticed that the new pulsar star sticks out like a sore thumb:
2014-04-07_00004.jpg

2014-04-07_00001.jpg

So I made it my goal to make a pulsar that is at least comparable to those beautiful backgrounds. Here's the results; I think it turned out not half bad.

I've uploaded it as a standalone mod here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BwgV6PdDgkbBSjVWVEttVDZEUTA
If the pulsar's size is too big for your taste, you can simply rename the .ftl as a.zip and resize the images. I think it's cooler at that size, as it's supposed to be a threat because of its proximity (plus it matches the huge nova from the aforementioned mods as well).

Mindlog

So I made it my goal to make a pulsar that is at least comparable to those beautiful backgrounds. Here's the results; I think it turned out not half bad.
Thanks! I need to get thosemods back up. Tore it all down trying to clear out my MC bug.
Agrhhhh. Progress, I think?

http://imgur.com/09f7SG1

Weapons absolutely sucked, but was able to beam guys on board to attack the drone room. Must've sent 3 or 4 waves, but they all died without doing much damage to the room itself lol. Couldn't lock down the room with hacking because the of the drones, which made it completely useless. I bet if I had a missile weapon I could've done it. I hung in there for a good while, but didn't really accomplish much.
I have no idea how good that setup is. I've beat the game with every single ship except Engie A.

My last successful run was with a Stealth A on Normal. Pic. Not pictured (Stealth Weapons - Reconstructive Teleport - Weapons Pre-Igniter) With all of the new stuff I forgot how powerful the Glaive beam is. Pre-Ignited with Flak to damage shields means an instant system takedown. I didn't take much damage, but unfortunately Liu Jun didn't make it. I mistimed a couple of things and he was Mind Controlled. I could only save one of my Rocks.

Top 5 scores for me:
Crystal B
Kestrel A
Crystal B
Stealth B
Rock C

If it has a teleporter I can work with that. Dropping Mantis in a room and locking it down with Crystals is just too effective. Then again the only AE score on that chart was also on Easy :\ The others are Normal. Still trying to crack it with a Hard run.

Playing with Captain's Edition right now and maaaaaaan I'm loving it... Except for the quarantined sector... F*** that place... Had 3 crew members go insane and attack me. Never again....

Nicktals

Banned
Playing with Captain's Edition right now and maaaaaaan I'm loving it... Except for the quarantined sector... F*** that place... Had 3 crew members go insane and attack me. Never again....

Is there a decent guide to getting this set up?

I just heard of it earlier, have no idea what it does, but i'm intrigued. Is it a mode for the EA, or what?

Had a Kestrel B build the other day that had a vulcan and 3 basic lasers. Managed to get the pre-loaded weapons augmentation. It was glorious.

Skittles

best run i've had so far was with max level mind control and 4 burst laser IIs. The destruction was beautiful, nothing stood a chance. The other runs have been going terrible due to the shops trolling the hell out of me

DY_nasty

Thanks! I need to get thosemods back up. Tore it all down trying to clear out my MC bug.

I have no idea how good that setup is. I've beat the game with every single ship except Engie A.

My last successful run was with a Stealth A on Normal. Pic. Not pictured (Stealth Weapons - Reconstructive Teleport - Weapons Pre-Igniter) With all of the new stuff I forgot how powerful the Glaive beam is. Pre-Ignited with Flak to damage shields means an instant system takedown. I didn't take much damage, but unfortunately Liu Jun didn't make it. I mistimed a couple of things and he was Mind Controlled. I could only save one of my Rocks.

Top 5 scores for me:
Crystal B
Kestrel B
Crystal B
Stealth B
Rock C

If it has a teleporter I can work with that. Dropping Mantis in a room and locking it down with Crystals is just too effective. Then again the only AE score on that chart was also on Easy :\ The others are Normal. Still trying to crack it with a Hard run.

Some people swear by Engi A. I hated it - even though I sort of stumbled into a decent build in my last run. I'm probably gonna mop the floor with my Mantis B run (that I've put off finishing for the past day because its almost too good to be true). Mind Control lv3 + 4 elite mantis bros + boarding drone with flak 1 and/or chain laser to quick melt supershields or unshielded systems is just OP. Ships get off maybe a volley or two against me before I empty all life signs and leave with the extra scrap bonus.

Even automated ships don't hold up against me that well.

Yes. I know I'll suffer a humiliating loss in an asteroid field when I forget to power my oxygen back on but I want to enjoy this.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Haven't played this in a while, testing out this new content. I am amazed at this free expansion, but damn do I suck now :(

I had quit before because trying to unlock the
crystal ship
was driving me mad. Here's to trying again (Maybe with the new unlock method?)

DY_nasty

just look at this shit

how am i supposed to not savor this?
Haven't played this in a while, testing out this new content. I am amazed at this free expansion, but damn do I suck now :(

I had quit before because trying to unlock the
crystal ship
was driving me mad. Here's to trying again (Maybe with the new unlock method?)
That's what I'm going for. Gave up on doing it the old way.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Really liking all the additions, but fuuuuuck that last boss. Felt like I had a really damn good run going but the second stage of it got me, gonna have to rethink the approach on it.

demidar

Had one of the best runs ever as Slug A. I was rich due to using its built-in Bio Beam to kill enemy crew, picked up plenty of powerful weapons at stores, found a Shield Recharger. Had 4 shields and 35% dodge engines by sector 6. Picked up a Vulcan in sector 7. Had a Vulcan, Double Laser and a Flak Cannon by the end, with every system and subsystem maxed and 8 crewmembers. The final boss? Completely wrecked, outgunned him 5 to 1. Didn't even need a crew teleporter or a hacking system, just overwhelming firepower pummeling everything

And now I just started with a Rock ship. First jump was to a distress beacon and it was a station on fire event. Obviously with a Rock ship with Rock crewmembers it was easy shit. Reward? Weapon Pre-igniter. What the fuck is going on.

Uriah

Does anyone else have trouble finding the rock homeworlds? It seems to show up way less frequently than the mantis homeworlds.

Woorloog

Banned
Does anyone else have trouble finding the rock homeworlds? It seems to show up way less frequently than the mantis homeworlds.

Indeed. And try to get it after getting a sector with the stasis pod AND Zoltan Homeworlds/Zoltan sector...

Woorloog

Banned
Oh, yeah! Stealth C unlocked (didn't come anywhere near beating the boss with it though). Now all i need is the Mantis C. And then i need the Crystal Cruiser.
Frankly, i reckon i'll have better luck at getting the quest than killing the boss with all As and Bs.

I enjoy the fire beam too much.
Ah, ah. I enjoy it too. It's like trolling enemy space ships. The flagship in particular. Burning it to the grown is so satisfying...

Y4XVGlK.jpg

Sooooo good...

For this specific run I had both the fire and the antibio beam... Muaaah ah ah ah >:)

Now I'm trying to find a way to complete the game with a Zoltan cruiser but the game is an ass and I can never output the firepower necessary to break through the flagship's shield... I'm not a fan of missiles and bombs and the game keeps hinting me I should use them as it's the only weapons I find in stores. I'll try that in another run: stockpiling ammunitions while I can cut through level 1 shields and then missile/bombing the shit out of enemies while laser beaming them too. Sounds like a plan.

Now I'm trying to find a way to complete the game with a Zoltan cruiser but the game is an ass and I can never output the firepower necessary to break through the flagship's shield... I'm not a fan of missiles and bombs and the game keeps hinting me I should use them as it's the only weapons I find in stores. I'll try that in another run: stockpiling ammunitions while I can cut through level 1 shields and then missile/bombing the shit out of enemies while laser beaming them too. Sounds like a plan.

I'll admit, I'm not a fan of missiles/bombs either most of the time... But the missile replicator is a godsend. You don't have to nearly as stingy when you have it and it really makes missile/bomb builds feel more viable to me.

Woorloog

Banned
YES YES YES! Mantis C!
Unlocked it by rushing through everything. My ship is utterly shitty but its purpose was merely to unlock the Mantis C.

Orenhy

Neo Member
All was going well...THEN, i get attacked by a zoltan ship, and get notified of intruders!
4 Zoltan fighters are now in my O2 room bashing it down, i send 4 of my crew in there fast before they manage to destroy the power so i don't get stuck with oxygen problems, so far is good. THEN, those #$@*&% zoltans manage to get a shot right into the oxygen room killing their 4 intruders and my 4 defenders with one hit.. RIP

Alastor

To not feel utterly miserable about my gaming skills, I play my own version of FTL. Game ends when you get to the last sector! That's it, you escaped and saved the galaxy!

kbLpB.gif

I'll beat this someday

Armaros

I didn't even think 4 person boarding parties were possible. Good lord.

Most ships with a non-focus on boarding have smaller teleporters, other ships (typically layout B of some ships) have a large boarding focus and get the larger teleporter room with 4 slots.

DY_nasty

I think a lot of people prioritize the flagship's shields right off the bat when they should definitely be looking to mitigate it's damage output first.

You can't treat the flagship like any other ship in the game.

demidar

I think a lot of people prioritize the flagship's shields right off the bat when they should definitely be looking to mitigate it's damage output first.

You can't treat the flagship like any other ship in the game.

I always go for the triple missile weapon first. It's the most dangerous part of the flagship in all phases.

Mindlog

just look at this shit

how am i supposed to not savor this?
Stepping away from the game to take a phone call would be pretty tempting there. Just leave the Mantis feeding on that Clone Bay. This was before AE, but I think something similar is how this happened to me.
2RjDOgS.png

And now I'm thinking how great it would have been if the last boss had a Clone Bay.

I finally beat the game with Engie A. Shops weren't kind this run. The only augments are Engie Med-Bots and Stealth Weapons. I call this pic, 'Team Meeting.'
And with that setup I still took the most damage in Phase 2. Nonplussed.

Been playing this for the first time this weekend and man, do I suck. Unlocked another ship and I'm just getting to grips with the different options. Just so depressing to get my ship and equipment up to a decent standard then some bastard alien race boards me. Crew wiped out last game because I stuck them all in the med bay, opened the rest of the doors and airlock to get rid of intruders. It worked, but then I opened the damn med bay doors before the rest of the ship had returned to normal pressure. Felt like an utter twat.

Any advice for a total newbie will be greatly appreciated.

I finally got the Rock B! I got both achievements I needed (didn't do the Crystal Sector one) in a single run, on Easy. Also, either I remembered Easy as being harder, or they truly nerfed it:

I always go for the triple missile weapon first. It's the most dangerous part of the flagship in all phases.

100% correct. It's come to the point that the most tense moments during the boss fight are each phase's start before you can disable it.

Mindlog

There are some very specific cases where I don't worry about the missile launcher first, but that's probably not a concern for most players. Mind Control and Hacking can sometimes be a problem. That beam is terrifying on No Shield runs.
Been playing this for the first time this weekend and man, do I suck. Unlocked another ship and I'm just getting to grips with the different options. Just so depressing to get my ship and equipment up to a decent standard then some bastard alien race boards me. Crew wiped out last game because I stuck them all in the med bay, opened the rest of the doors and airlock to get rid of intruders. It worked, but then I opened the damn med bay doors before the rest of the ship had returned to normal pressure. Felt like an utter twat.

Any advice for a total newbie will be greatly appreciated.
My tip: Keep going :]
I've killed my crews in a thousand different dumb ways. Pressed my luck too hard when I should have been cautious. Basically screwed up in every way imaginable. I once killed half my borders because I failed to notice the enemy had upgraded doors. You learn (sometimes) and improve.

Weltall Zero has a much more thorough guide than me.
Tip Post #1
Tip Post #1
They're older, but still aplicable.

There are some very specific cases where I don't worry about the missile launcher first, but that's probably not a concern for most players. Mind Control and Hacking can sometimes be a problem. That beam is terrifying on No Shield runs.

My tip: Keep going :]
I've killed my crews in a thousand different dumb ways. Pressed my luck too hard when I should have been cautious. Basically screwed up in every way imaginable. You learn (sometimes) and improve.

Weltall Zero has a much more thorough guide than me.
Tip Post #1
Tip Post #1
They're older, but still aplicable.

Many thanks, I appreciate the help!

Right crew, let's do this again...

Sulik2

How do you play the mantis ship? Really struggling with it. My ship gets annihilated when trying to take over ships.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I just started using the Federation Cruiser (A) after spending time with the Engi (which I loved). Any tips or strategies? It's always awkward when first switching ships.

I realize it has a pre installed beam and 4 weapon slots, so is tried relying on that, but in hasn't been a smooth experience. I feel like it's missing one support system or something. Teleportation? Drones? Cloak? I'm open for anything.

(Advanced content is off, fwiw)

Top Bottom