• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fujimoto: "...it's like Nintendo took half of the bill!"(for DQVII)

Ridley327

Pretty sure this has been the case with every DQ game to come out on a Nintendo system.
Squenix ran solo on Rocket Slime and IV/V. After those and Swords flopped out loud, Nintendo stepped in after their help on IX to help build the brand in the west.

And then Squenix made DQX a JP-only MMO.

Effect

My copy should be here Friday. I've never played Dragon Quest 7 or 8 so I'm looking forward to finally getting my hands on them. I had playstations but I just never got around to buying them or seeing them in a store to buy at the time.

High profile RPGs have done well on 3DS...so who knows.

They've been giving this a significant push. Pretty much short of a TV commercial. That's the one thing it should get but perhaps given it's a JRPG it might not even need it. They're certainly not sending it out to die or anything. That's what they did with Federation Force.

rockyt

Nintendo seems to like dragon quest in the west atleast someone higher up seems to. They pretty much been either pushing, footing the bill half or all, and trying their best to convince squareenix since square does not it seem want to release dragon quest in the west. For this I am thankful since I love the series and played every interation and know all the lore in the main series and how theu are connected. Also I have 4 copies on order. 1 for me, 1 for my wife, and 2 for my sisters.

I'm certainly ecstatic that it's happening, but I wish that they'd go all the way and maybe actually advertise the game as well.
It appeared in every Direct since its localization announcement, got a youtube trailer series and there are TV commercials in multiple languages (german, french...). What else do you want them to do?

MLH

I wonder what this means for the English mobile version, I'm guessing SE own the localised script as part of the deal but Nintendo probably got something out of it.

Either way, we're getting Dragon Quest VII. It's Europe's first time officially getting this game, I'm amazed a bigger deal hasn't been made about that - the renowned classic for the first time in Europe! Hell the first DQ game in Europe was DQ8, I don't know how the all remakes haven't done better.

I'll be buying two copies to support this, DQ is currently my favourite RPG series, it's one of the few long time RPGs that has managed to stay so close to it roots without being stale or falling into horrible J-drama story writing or otaku pandering, even if it had an MMO entry that we'll never get. Anyway bring on more Dragon Quest and lets prove to SE & Nintendo that there is an good audience for this series in the west.

#DragonQuestForTheWest is not over until we've done our part!

Timeaisis

Nintendo needs franchises like DQ to keep the 3DS afloat. Makes sense. I hope this partnership continues in the future with the NX.

Oregano

havent stayed in the loop with this, is this any different than the psone release?

It's very different. Not only has it had an entire graphics overhaul(it's now more akin to DQ8 onwards) but there's been quite a few gameplay tweaks.

True Fire

Let's be blunt, this game was an act of charity on Nintendo's part. VIII's port was probably a walk in the park in comparison.

NolbertoS

I thought everybody and their mother knew Nintendo footed a big chunk of the bill, to get this localized out West. Wouldn't surprise me if they footed 80% of that bill in reality, rather than 50-50 split. If it weren't for the DQ fans making petitions and sending them to Nintendo, rather than SE and Nintendo seeing there is demand for the game, then it wouldn't have happened. Its a shame this series has to be the evil stepchild to SE's JRPG Western release schedule. Like I've stated in other thread, I'd prefer SE to just sell that franchise rights to Nintendo.

Ironically, if they hadn't translated it fans would have done so themselves after a few years and Squeenix would have sued them for doing so.

pants

It's very different. Not only has it had an entire graphics overhaul(it's now more akin to DQ8 onwards) but there's been quite a few gameplay tweaks.

Interesting, thanks. Depending on the gameplay tweaks, I may just get this again for convenience

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Fascinating little nugget of info there, thanks.

havent stayed in the loop with this, is this any different than the psone release?

It's not a port or remaster or anything of the sort. It's not even what you'd call an "authentic remake" like you might see when an old game is comprehensively remade in such a way as to run on newer hardware natively but play as close as possible to the original.

DQVII on 3DS is a comprehensive, top-down reimagining of the PSOne DQVII. It has all of the familiar DQVII beats, but plays like and resembles DQVIII more than the original, in most respects. Completely new engine, music, art, assets, etc. It's 3D now, like DQVIII and later entries, and not rotating top-down 2D maps inhabited by sprites.

I wrapped up DQVII on PSP a few years ago (yeah, I was late to THAT particular party), but can't way to re-experience this new version.

Arkeband

Banned
What would be considered good for DQVII anyway? Genuine question.

Something comparable to Bravely Default's success would be good.

If it beats Bravely Second I'd consider it a success.

Nintendo seems to like dragon quest in the west atleast someone higher up seems to.

Reggie has actually said he's a fan of the series, although as someone who has to be in tune with Nintendo of Japan as well as America, he might just be saying that for brownie points.

Glad Nintendo decides not to be greedy corporate for once. Now everybody please buy the damn game.

paying third-parties for platform support and exclusives is the definition of greedy-corporate.

this is fine in moderation, but let's not pretend to be surprised the next time third parties walk all over Nintendo expecting a better deal.

And it sucks because no orchestrated OST = no buy from me. Sorry, but to me, these games are a sound track delivery system. I've never been able to finish any other DQ except for 8 simply for the soundtrack.

Dingens

the real shocker is that they actually did a pal5 localisation...
I still can't quite believe it. If SE handled the localisation, it would probably be english only and a plethora of European fans would be left in dust

edit:
[...]
Reggie has actually said he's a fan of the series, although as someone who has to be in tune with Nintendo of Japan as well as America, he might just be saying that for brownie points.

I wouldn't believe a single word the guy says. it's pretty obvious that he is nothing but a marketing puppet and certainly not a gamer. I'm still amazed that people seem to fall for him

the real shocker is that they actually did a pal5 localisation...
I still can't quite believe it. If SE handled the localisation, it would probably be english only and a plethora of European fans would be left in dust

Well, for all we know, it was grrenlighted because of the French fan community asking for a translation for years...

paying third-parties for platform support and exclusives is the definition of greedy-corporate.

this is fine in moderation, but let's not pretend to be surprised the next time third parties walk all over Nintendo expecting a better deal.

Paying for exclusives and helping to ensure the fans get a game localized, isn't really the same thing.

At any rate, I'm glad Nintendo did what was necessary so the game is localized.

Kouriozan

That's VERY generous, in addition to the publishing duties.
Hope DQ 7 will sell decently otherwise Square Enix will be even more scared to localize future titles.

Brocken

Banned
Not at all surprised by this. I don't see Nintendo doing this as a regular thing. Dragon Quest however is a special case for them. Nintendo has always wanted the Dragon Quest franchise. It's why Enix back in the day got special treatment and maybe why Sony was likely able to poach SquareSoft the way they did. People always talk about how Nintendo lost Final Fantasy but looking back I don't think Nintendo ever saw it as a loss. Dragon Quest was the loss when 7 and 8 ended up on the PS1 and PS2. This is why they went all in with Dragon Quest 9 and made sure it was a success on the DS and got the remakes on the GBA/DS. Why you saw that Wii on rails game and Dragon Quest X on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. They very likely have always wanted and will make sure that franchise is synonymous with Nintendo.

It's no surprised that Dragon Quest 11 got that NX announcement that had to be walked back by Square Enix because they spoke to soon. Ignore all the talk about Final Fantasy Remake and XV on the NX. It's DQ11 and Builders that Nintendo is very likely looking at and making sure they get. So if they have to pay half for the translation then that's likely seen as a drop in the bucket.

Final Fantasy VII not only was a huge blow for N64 hopes, but was also the symbol of Nintendo decline in the home console space.

DR2K

Banned
It's not a safe thing to do. What happens if the game bombs and no one buys it? Suddenly this expensive translation looks like a mistake to investors. If Nintendo is with them and helps foot the bill unsure things suddenly look way better.

Same thing would probably have had to happen if the old games were going to be ported to PS4/Vita instead only with Sony this time(now that the translation work is done they can btw use it for iOS ports etc btw).

Translating a game won't even be a drop in the bucket. This isn't a small niche gaming company.

rhandino

Banned
Translating a game won't even be a drop in the bucket. This isn't a small niche gaming company.
"Why are we putting money in this niche project instead of putting it in other more profitable ventures?"

Just because they are not small company does not mean they are about to throw money at a lot of niche projects if at least they are not getting "something" out of it.

Opa-Pa

Do bear in mind that's also the game's code and development stuff, too, not just the script.

In fact, based on the PSX version's word count, Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and 4 have longer English scripts, as do Persona 3 Portable and Final Fantasy VII.

This is something I wondered for the longest time. Ever since I have memory of internet discussions, I've seen that picture show up whenever people talk about lengthy scripts in games, and I always wondered if this game was really that special of a case lol. I guess we just don't see pictures of other games' that often.

Really cool of Nintendo still. I don't have that much interest in the series but the game looks pretty, and the effort behind bringing it to the west makea me want to try it. Maybe I'll get it after being done with SMT4A.

Is this game as good of a starting point as any other in the series?

But they didn't pay Square Enix to make it for the 3DS? They just did half the work to get it out of Japan. Hardly the same thing.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Good of him to explain it a bit so we finally have a very rough way to guage how much Nintendo put towards the cost. Been wondering this for years with Nintendo-published Square Enix games. I always assumed Nintendo provided some cash for the localization (which Square Enix mostly outsources as far as I can tell), cool to see confirmation.

And yeah, I was always confused by people who only thanked Square Enix when this was announced for the West. SE's IP or not, it was definitely not that simple. Yes, Nintendo obviously did a lot to get this overseas as this quote shows.

Stage On

"Why are we putting money in this niche project instead of putting it in other more profitable ventures?"

Just because they are not small company does not mean they are about to throw money at a lot of niche projects if at least they are not getting "something" out of it.

A niche project would be the spin offs. The mainline series seems to sell pretty decently, at least when they bother to properly advertise them.

I mean yeah they are never going to get the same amount of success here as the series enjoys in Japan but that's no excuse to leave one of their main core franchises to rot untranslated.

Look at what happened to Namco. We used to have to BEG them to bring the Tales series over because it wasn't a big seller here, and when they finally listened and actually started being consistent about bringing them over it payed off for them. It's still not a mega hit in the west by any means but it still makes money and earns them a lot of good will.

Narroo

A niche project would be the spin offs. The mainline series seems to sell pretty decently, at least when they bother to properly advertise them.

I mean yeah they are never going to get the same amount of success here as the series enjoys in Japan but that's no excuse to leave one of their main core franchises to rot untranslated.

Look at what happened to Namco. We used to have to BEG them to bring the Tales series over because it wasn't a big seller here, and when they finally listened and actually started being consistent about bringing them over it payed off for them. It's still not a mega hit in the west by any means but it still makes money and earns them a lot of good will.

Or to put it another way: There has to be a product in order for their to be a market for it!

Top Bottom