• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fujimoto: "...it's like Nintendo took half of the bill!"(for DQVII)

There were more than enough valid reasons for Square Enix not to bring it over, so I'll forever appreciate that they found a way to make it happen.

casiopao

They threw away 24 years of series build-up...and screwed it up. Big time.

They didn't want to risk localizing/publishing Bravely Default, it sold really well in the west. They didn't localize or publish Bravely Second here, Nintendo did. They are seemingly forced into supporting the 3DS in the west from Nintendo and have been for much of the system's life, despite the success of RPG's on the system, including the ones they own. So I have to ask why they seemingly have to be leaned on to do it when the success stories of other franchises are there on the system.

S-E does not operate base on logic lol. This is a company who knows how huge is DQ fanbase on 3DS then allowed their title to be moved on other platform in hoping that the new platform is going to be able to bring more profit lol. They simply don't care.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
And lose even more money? This localisation is pure fan service from Nintendo.

Exactly. They're not going to give it lots of TV ad time like VIII got. SE would even go so far as to mail out a free demo disc of DQVIII to interested parties, that's how much effort was put into VIII, but it still didn't hit anywhere near FF sales heights, even with the bundled FFXII demo in NA. IX got a good deal of advertising too, this time from Nintendo.

You can't expect more advertising than Bravely Default here, and you can't necessarily even expect that much as it's late in the 3DS life cycle, and yet, we've seemingly gotten a good deal more than that title anyways. Hopefully the game does well, but Nintendo is not going to break the bank to advertise something that seemingly only hit a million outside Japan once or twice (IX for sure, possibly VIII). Be happy it's coming and buy your copy ASAP.

I think Nintendo actually is doing a good job advertising this one though? They had been bringing this game everywhere, pushing it on Direct, putting more and more vids on their channel.

I can see this one do well for sure.^_^

Yeah, it reminds me of the amount of advertising IX got. Wasn't a DQ fan then, but I definitely noticed it as a Nintendo one.

They didn't want to risk localizing/publishing Bravely Default, it sold really well in the west. They didn't localize or publish Bravely Second here, Nintendo did. They are seemingly forced into supporting the 3DS in the west from Nintendo and have been for much of the system's life, despite the success of RPG's on the system, including the ones they own. So I have to ask why they seemingly have to be leaned on to do it when the success stories of other franchises are there on the system.

Pretty sure SE outsources and owns the localizations themselves. Regardless, whatever arrangements there are with Nintendo and publishing handheld titles outside Japan has been going on since the GBA (and also included the original Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles on GC and Fortune Street on Wii). Clearly it's mutually beneficial. SE knows that Nintendo needs sexy exclusive content, and Nintendo knows that SE develops it with the Japanese market in mind, while its Western divisions generally prefer to devote resources to non-handheld titles, PSP and early DS aside. Good on Nintendo for making sure the content keeps coming, supporting their own dedicated platform. It's just not SE's priority outside Japan like it is, say, Bamco's. It stinks, but I guess the sales don't meet expectations.

But I don't think it's always just sales (I mean, it obviously was for VII), it must also be a good business partnership for both parties, as surely SE could have self-published stuff like the Final Fantasy Advance titles (at least the earlier ones before DS took off) and Bravely Second if they wanted to, and been confident in those titles selling well.

Besides, this is good for Nintendo fans. VII shouldn't come to mobile in the West for a long time, and if SE loses interest, it might not ever! A full remake of one of the finest JRPGs ever made is Nintendo exclusive, while a heavily enhanced port of VIII is also entirely exclusive.

S-E does not operate base on logic lol. This is a company who knows how huge is DQ fanbase on 3DS then allowed their title to be moved on other platform in hoping that the new platform is going to be able to bring more profit lol. They simply don't care.

What? No, Horii wanted to make a console experience again, like VIII. Good for him, and I agree with him. The console experience is better than a handheld or phone, and he's making three versions (PS4, NX, 3DS) because he wanted it on PS4. I'm glad Horii cared about more than an easy project and profit and wanted to make a console experience again. That Japan has declined as a console market is not a good thing, but Horii isn't going to hurt it even more. Again, this is good.

-MB-

Based Nintendo - lets hope it sells well enough so SE can justify publishing future main titles themselves again. Nintendo wont be there for DQ 11 since its multiplattform.

Yea no. Considering Bravely Default sold pretty well over here, well beyond expectations, it did not stop S-E from not publishing the sequel and leaving it to Nintendo once more.

Its actually interesting they pick a game like this, when something like Monster Hunter Diaries PokaPoka Felyne DX after successful of MH4 is nowhere to be seen.

Sakujou

Banned
It amazes me how much Nintendo has to do to have some support.
i have the feeling that these days not just gamers hate nintendo but also their old friends(devs and publishers).

why does SE need money from nintendo to localize games? they are EA of japan in terms of shoveling as many games as possible onto the market, they should not have problems with publishing games. also with dq7 they are so late to the party :(

Refyref

What? No, Horii wanted to make a console experience again, like VIII. Good for him, and I agree with him. The console experience is better than a handheld or phone, and he's making three versions (PS4, NX, 3DS) because he wanted it on PS4. I'm glad Horii cared about more than an easy project and profit and wanted to make a console experience again. That Japan has declined as a console market is not a good thing, but Horii isn't going to hurt it even more. Again, this is good.

I completely disagree there, but 11 does have 3DS and NX versions for people like me. I'm incredibly concerned about the 3DS version getting localized, though.

Biske

It's been clear for years that Nintendo believes in Dragon Quest far more than Square Enix does.

Such cheap bastards.

Joey Ravn

Banned
It seems that for some people Nintendo will always be in the wrong, no matter what they do. What a pity.

Friday can't come soon enough!

Oregano

Fun fact: Theatrhyrhm Curtain Call and Ff Explorers are the only two 3DS games Square Enix has handled themselves in Europe.

There was actually something of a falling out over Kingdom Hearts DDD because SE decided they didn't want to do a full EFIGS translation and Nintendo Iberica refused to publish/distribute it IIRC.

MANUELF

Banned
They threw away 24 years of series build-up...and screwed it up. Big time.
Thats a completely different beast, Metroid is one of Nintendo most expensive to make series and with the exception of Super Metroid and Prime 1 it has never sold over 2 million so the cost benefit is not there for them to keep making them, at least no the 3d ones, Im sure they could fund a 2d one without too much problem

KingBroly

Banned
Thats a completely different beast, Metroid is one of Nintendo most expensive to make series and with the exception of Super Metroid and Prime 1 it has never sold over 2 million so the cost benefit is not there for them to keep making them, at least no the 3d ones, Im sure they could fund a 2d one without too much problem

Zelda costs a lot more to make. Skyward Sword, at the time, was their most expensive game to make. BotW probably trumps that now. Smash costs a lot more to make.

This game, DQ7, should not cost them a dime to localize, but it is because Square doesn't like to think 6 minutes from now.

Oregano

Zelda costs a lot more to make. Skyward Sword, at the time, was their most expensive game to make. BotW probably trumps that now. Smash costs a lot more to make.

This game, DQ7, should not cost them a dime to localize, but it is because Square doesn't like to think 6 minutes from now.

Zelda and Smash sell a shit ton more though. Triforce Heroes has outsold most Metroid games.

Square Enix has a lack of confidence in the 3DS. If DQVII was on PS4/Vita it would have been localised years ago.

casiopao

Comparing Zelda to Metroid.......stop pliz lol. T_T

U can compare a simple spin-off title like Tri-Force Heroes and it's sales outsold most of Metroid title man.

And Link is simply a much bigger icon vs Samus whether u like it or not. Thats the fact.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Yea no. Considering Bravely Default sold pretty well over here, well beyond expectations, it did not stop S-E from not publishing the sequel and leaving it to Nintendo once more.

I dont know what you are talking about - Nintendo was willing to publish the Bravely Default sequel here because the first game sold well and the game is a 3DS exclusive. They wont be willing localize/publish DQ XI since its a multiplattform release - so SE better step up for the upcoming release.

I dont know what you are talking about - Nintendo was willing to publish the Bravely Default sequel here because the first game sold well and the game is a 3DS exclusive. They wont be willing localize/publish DQ XI since its a multiplattform release - so SE better step up for the upcoming release.

That's why I'm worried about the 3DS version of DQXI. The PS4 version likely only exists because they have a localisation in mind, but what about the 3DS version? I want both and I'm willing to bet that SE will be weird and localise the NX and PS4 versions while keeping the 3DS version in Japan.

KingBroly

Banned
Comparing Zelda to Metroid.......stop pliz lol. T_T

U can compare a simple spin-off title like Tri-Force Heroes and it's sales outsold most of Metroid title man.

And Link is simply a much bigger icon vs Samus whether u like it or not. Thats the fact.

Count the number of years Zelda's gone without a game and compare it to the number of years Metroid's gone without a game. It's hard to keep a series noteworthy when you drop the ball off a mountain and into a pool of lava.

Just like Square's done with Dragon Quest in the west after 9. PS4 and Vita aren't going to save DQH and DQB from being sales disasters here. They killed damn near all mention of the series until Heroes in the west, and yet expected THAT to save it over here.

casiopao

Well, then we can hope for Sony to actually foot the bill this time lol. They already scream through their lungs that DQ is returning to Sony and it is a wonderful moment lol.

Now, it is the time for them to foot the bill.^^

Count the number of years Zelda's gone without a game and compare it to the number of years Metroid's gone without a game. It's hard to keep a series noteworthy when you drop the ball off a mountain and into a pool of lava.

Just like Square's done with Dragon Quest in the west after 9. PS4 and Vita aren't going to save DQH and DQB from being sales disasters here. They killed damn near all mention of the series until Heroes in the west, and yet expected THAT to save it over here.

This is already going everywhere. I am not going to continue this Metroid conversation in this DQ thead.

Nanashrew

Banned
Zelda and Smash sell a shit ton more though. Triforce Heroes has outsold most Metroid games.

Square Enix has a lack of confidence in the 3DS. If DQVII was on PS4/Vita it would have been localised years ago.

I feel their lack of confidence to be unfounded for the most part. And I think some doubt should have at least been quelled after the overall positive reactions and success around Bravely Default. That there is a market for more traditional RPGs from them on the 3DS as RPGs have always done well on Nintendo's handhelds.

However in DQ7's case, I don't even see it being localized even if it was Vita exclusive either, at least not without Sony stepping in like Nintendo has with this. They're re-localizing the game and that's a lot of budget required to go over the game's script and all of its dialogue plus all the new stuff in the remake.

KingBroly

Banned
I feel their lack of confidence to be unfounded for the most part. And I think some doubt should have at least been quelled after the overall positive reactions and success around Bravely Default. That there is a market for more traditional RPGs from them on the 3DS as RPGs have always done well on Nintendo's handhelds.

However in DQ7's case, I don't even see it being localized even if it was Vita exclusive either, at least not without Sony stepping in like Nintendo has with this. They're re-localizing the game and that's a lot of budget required to go over the game's script and all of its dialogue plus all the new stuff in the remake.

Square would step in at some point because of the mobile version of the game. But the point people are trying to make is that Square sees no opportunity when there clearly is on 3DS, and it has been shown repeatedly, to their dismay.

Nanashrew

Banned
Square would step in at some point because of the mobile version of the game. But the point people are trying to make is that Square sees no opportunity when there clearly is on 3DS, and it has been shown repeatedly, to their dismay.

And their decisions will always dumbfound me. I mean, traditionally, Sony's home console and Nintendo's handheld have the lion's share of the JRPG market. The PSP didn't disrupt that either. PSP and DS flourished with RPGs in fact. Now currently, Sony's handheld market cratered, but the 3DS could still be considered safe and still home to a healthy RPG demographic.

Its actually interesting they pick a game like this, when something like Monster Hunter Diaries PokaPoka Felyne DX after successful of MH4 is nowhere to be seen.

Comparing DQ7, which is a main series game, to an Animal Crossing-esque spinoff in a successful franchise. Surely, you see the disconnect?

Effect

It's been clear for years that Nintendo believes in Dragon Quest far more than Square Enix does.

Such cheap bastards.

If the chance ever comes up for them to buy the IP from Square or even co-own it people shouldn't be surprised if Nintendo drops the money to do that. I think they'd jump at the chance to completely lock down the franchise for good.

Kinda lame that SE just passed the bucket to Nintendo on their own game, but I'm just thankful we're getting it localized.

SE literally said they didn't plan on localizing it, at all.

lk5aOf5.png

:O What is this from? A documentary on the game?

Edit-

Where are the ads for this game though? If they want this to perform at least the way DQIX did, then they need to push it like they pushed that game.

crinale

Well as far as we know Sony doesn't have this level of involvement with DQ Heroes or Builders which are likely going to bomb something fierce.

Actually Yakuza seems to be the main/only analogous Sony example and that's Digital only.

Sony did localize Chinese portion of DQH which accounts more than 20% of sales so I've heard (without Taiwanese version it would have never reached million copies), so I think they've got return of what they invested I guess :D

kromeo

That's why I'm worried about the 3DS version of DQXI. The PS4 version likely only exists because they have a localisation in mind, but what about the 3DS version? I want both and I'm willing to bet that SE will be weird and localise the NX and PS4 versions while keeping the 3DS version in Japan.

If I had to bet money on it I'd say we'll never get the 3DS version, Nintendo's focus will be fully on the NX by then so not sure they'll help out this time

The Hermit

Ok thats nice but...

Where's Mother 3?!

/Jk

I had no intention in buying DQ 7 or 8 (mostly because of my insane backlog), after reading that I might do it.

Ridley327

Edit-

Where are the ads for this game though? If they want this to perform at least the way DQIX did, then they need to push it like they pushed that game.
I don't think Nintendo is terribly interested in attempting to repeat the success of DQIX on a years-late localization, especially in the midst of a transition to new hardware. I think the marketing for it thus far has been fine for what it is, but nothing has indicated that they're trying to push this to a million at all.

Ck1

Banned

Metroid is not one of Nintendo's most expensive series to make, hell everyone of the Prime games have sold better or equal to many Sony and Microsoft 1st games at a fraction of the price to make.

After the huge success of Bravely Default, you'd think Square would've easily jumped over Second. I mean, it's possible Nintendo had the option to publish the sequel as part of their original deal for Default, but yeah...

Xiao Hu

Well, I would also appreciate this kind of effort if it included Western games for once...you know those kind of games we barely see on Nintendo's platforms? Just a suggestion of course

MacTag

Banned
If Nintendo really is planning to support 3DS through 2018 I could see them publishing DQXI 3DS directly alongside SE selfpublishing the PS4/NX version.

Pancake Mix

Fun fact: Theatrhyrhm Curtain Call and Ff Explorers are the only two 3DS games Square Enix has handled themselves in Europe.

There was actually something of a falling out over Kingdom Hearts DDD because SE decided they didn't want to do a full EFIGS translation and Nintendo Iberica refused to publish/distribute it IIRC.

Not entirely true. Square Enix published KH3D and several other titles in Europe themselves. Just might not have distributed them locally, though. That said, I can't find anything in English about a falling out or NOE even handling distribution in Spain.

As an aside, if NOE had actually published it, Multi-5 is basically a requirement for them now, other than #FE.

Aters

Well, then we can hope for Sony to actually foot the bill this time lol. They already scream through their lungs that DQ is returning to Sony and it is a wonderful moment lol.

Now, it is the time for them to foot the bill.^^

Why should Sony foot the bill? SE published DQH and will publish DQB in the west. What makes you think DQXI is going to be an exception? In fact, I think SE is going to release it on Steam too in the future.

Feffe

Not at all surprised by this. I don't see Nintendo doing this as a regular thing. Dragon Quest however is a special case for them. Nintendo has always wanted the Dragon Quest franchise. It's why Enix back in the day got special treatment and maybe why Sony was likely able to poach SquareSoft the way they did. People always talk about how Nintendo lost Final Fantasy but looking back I don't think Nintendo ever saw it as a loss. Dragon Quest was the loss when 7 and 8 ended up on the PS1 and PS2. This is why they went all in with Dragon Quest 9 and made sure it was a success on the DS and got the remakes on the GBA/DS. Why you saw that Wii on rails game and Dragon Quest X on the Wii, Wii U, and 3DS. They very likely have always wanted and will make sure that franchise is synonymous with Nintendo.

It's no surprised that Dragon Quest 11 got that NX announcement that had to be walked back by Square Enix because they spoke to soon. Ignore all the talk about Final Fantasy Remake and XV on the NX. It's DQ11 and Builders that Nintendo is very likely looking at and making sure they get. So if they have to pay half for the translation then that's likely seen as a drop in the bucket.
Yeah, Nintendo is treating Dragon Quest as a de facto first party franchise. Not strange at all since in Japan it was a very iconic Famicom game, as important as Mario and Zelda. I can see them doing the same in the future for Layton and Monster Hunter.

Oregano

Not entirely true. Square Enix published KH3D and several other titles in Europe themselves. Just might not have distributed them locally, though. That said, I can't find anything in English about a falling out or NOE even handling distribution in Spain.

As an aside, if NOE had actually published it, Multi-5 is basically a requirement for them now, other than #FE.

When Nintendo picks up a game in Europe the original Publishers tends to maintain the publisher title but Nintendo handles sales, marketing and distribution aka 90% of the publishers job.

Quick Google lead me to this from our very own Neogaf: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=479402&page=3

RM8

VII looks super fun, but I'm very put off by the prospect of it being the most wordy game I'll ever play. I fear I might buy it, play it for less than 20 hours and abandoning it forever :(

Pancake Mix

When Nintendo picks up a game in Europe the original Publishers tends to maintain the publisher title but Nintendo handles sales, marketing and distribution aka 90% of the publishers job.

Quick Google lead me to this from our very own Neogaf: http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=479402&page=3

Officially they did not take over though, lol. Also, you're quite wrong as far as this case is concerned as that has never occurred in the Nintendo/SE relationship before. When Nintendo has published SE games in NA, they've done so in Europe as well, and that continues with DQVII.... SE doesn't just nominally publish there. NOE just handled distribution alone in that case, nothing else.

European_Cover_Art_KH3D.png

A quick glance at the cover art should tell you that...really. When Nintendo picks up a large part of the publisher's job, they actually do become the publisher, in Europe too. You're wrong.

Thanks for the link though.

wrowa

According to Aquamarine's Twitter DQVII sold 35k units in September NPD.

Its sales potential undoubtedly suffered from its long delay, but looking at those numbers it's still hard to deny that SE was likely right to be hesitant.

Top Bottom