• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Indie Summit: Nintendo's Presentation

Oersted

So why are the indies putting their game on the Vita ?

Sounds like the Wii U is a good platform for them too. Hope we get to see more stuff coming out for it from all sides.

Both are getting indie titles. Vita gets some late PS3 titles, while 3DS and WiiU are getting more exclusives, iOS up-ports (3DS) and PC ports(WiiU).

Because Sony has the Vita, PS3, and PS mobile? Many of the Vita idies also are available on the PS3. Some even have cross buy. Nintendo fucked up on the Wii and no real account system possibly hurt itself with indies on the Wii U.

You know the problem of your "real" account system?

F2x8zqv.jpg

I love this obvious jab at Microsoft's backwards policies.

The incentive is that it's easy. They basically come for the PS3 and port to Vita because why not?

I talked to a programmer at Iron Galaxy Studios about the DiveKick game, and all they did was scale down the sprites (2D assets) and reconfigure the buttons. Everything else was a click.

Then why is the Wii U lacking many of the indies the Vitais getting?
It's not? If you're referencing stuff like Stealth Bastard, Hotline Miami, etc...you should look toward Sony. They're paying to have these ported.

Conversely, the Wii U is getting stuff that I guess you're not paying attention to? Guns of Icarus, 90s Arcade Racer, etc.

Darryl

Banned
Then why is the Wii U lacking many of the indies the Vita/PS3 is getting?

it's got a handful of indies so far. had a pretty good port of trine 2. gotta love trine 2. it usually takes a bit for the indies to get going, no? i'm surprised they've started comin' so early on the Wii U.

It's not? If you're referencing stuff like Stealth Bastard, Hotline Miami, etc...you should look toward Sony. They're paying to have these ported.

Conversely, the Wii U is getting stuff that I guess you're not paying attention to? Guns of Icarus, 90s Arcade Racer, etc.

Or because its too easy not to port to the Vita as many have stated in this thread. Show me where Sony is paying for Vita ports for the indie games.

Hiltz

WiiU eShop list of upcoming titles:

- 1,001 Spikes
- Cloudberry Kingdom
- Pokemon Scramble U
- Mutant Mudds Deluxe
- Pier Solar
- Oliver & Spike
- Cryamore
- Project Y2K
- Another Castle
- Super Ubi Land
- Armillo
- Anima: Gate's of Memory
- Two Brothers
- Gianna Sisters
- Project Y2K
- The 90's Arcade Racer
- Biker Bash
- Super Ubi Land
- Fade Into Darkness
- Cosmic Highway
- Karateka
- Marvel Pinball
- Spin the Bottle
- CastleStorm
- Spin The Bottle
- UnEpic
- Scramkitty
- A World of Keflings
- 8-Bit Boy
- Dusty Raging Fist
- Racing title by Shin'en (might be FAST League Racing 2)
- Blood of the Wolf
- Fire Fighter 2
- Get Off My Lawn
- Shovel Knight
- Duck Tales Remastered
- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mysteria

CrisKre

I already have Trine 2, Little Inferno, Nano Assault Neo, Bit Trip Runner 2 and Kung Fu Rabbit. The later is an interesting case, I didn't get it for my iPad, yet GamePad ergonomics made me buy it, and I'm glad I did.

Indie + GamePad: you get my money.
Get toki tori 2

nfreakct

I was at Full Indie today, great day of talks and the organizers here really hit it out of the ballpark showcasing the strength of the indie scene in Vancouver.

I couldn't tweet due to my American data plan, but basically Sony's presentation (before Nintendo's) was a bit more bombastic. Adam Boyes (pub + dev relations) really stressed how Sony is different now with Mark Cerny leading the way with designing the PS4. Also stressed the success of devs on PSN platforms and talked about how they've greatly simplified the process for anyone to get their games on there. He threw a lot more jabs at MS. Brought up "renting slots" as a WTF policy and mentioned that him and Dan at Nintendo agreed on a lot while wondering out loud why another major platform holder was absent.

Really glad to see both Sony and Nintendo at these smaller events. Kudos again to the Vancouver indies, you guys are awesome and super welcoming!

Sandfox

I was at Full Indie today, great day of talks and the organizers here really hit it out of the ballpark showcasing the strength of the indie scene in Vancouver.

I couldn't tweet due to my American data plan, but basically Sony's presentation (before Nintendo's) was a bit more bombastic. Adam Boyes (pub + dev relations) really stressed how Sony is different now with Mark Cerny leading the way with designing the PS4. Also stressed the success of devs on PSN platforms and talked about how they've greatly simplified the process for anyone to get their games on there. He threw a lot more jabs at MS. Brought up "renting slots" as a WTF policy and mentioned that him and Dan at Nintendo agreed on a lot while wondering out loud why another major platform holder was absent.

Really glad to see both Sony and MS at these smaller events. Kudos again to the Vancouver indies, you guys are awesome and super welcoming!

Its going to be interesting to see if MS cares about indie devs anymore when the next Xbox is revealed.

People have made clear that the Vita is gettinf indies that the Wii U isnt simply due to how easy it is to port from the PS3 to the Vita.
Where did you get that info from?

*reads your tag*

Looks like I'll be contacting Blackace and Bish.

Have at it.
People have made clear that the Vita is gettinf indies that the Wii U isnt simply due to how easy it is to port from the PS3 to the Vita. Doesnt have anything to do with Sony paying for it. It'd be dumb not to port since its free cash.

Many indie releases like non indie devs/pubs are probably waiting for a larger install base which is dependent on Nintendo releasing AAA games.

JoeM86

Unify the handheld and console platforms Nintendo.

They've already indicated that it is the way they're heading, due to the merging of handheld and console divisions and them saying their next wave of consoles/handhelds will be on similar architecture, and as such the porting of games and unified systems would not be a laborious task.

wsippel

Banned
Unify the handheld and console platforms Nintendo.
Unify what exactly? The eShop policies? They already are. The dev environment? Simply not possible due to the massive differences in featureset and especially performance. Though they do plan to make them more similar.

Oersted

Really glad to see both Sony and MS at these smaller events. Kudos again to the Vancouver indies, you guys are awesome and super welcoming!

?

And Sony convincing with prerelease announcements? He had this in history before, quite often.

Have at it.
People have made clear that the Vita is gettinf indies that the Wii U isnt simply due to how easy it is to port from the PS3 to the Vita.

And people pointed out that 3DS and WiiU are getting indies, PS3/ Vita don´t get. You keep ignoring.

Hiltz

I feel like I'm in an alternate reality how Nintendo is seemingly approaching this. Great news.

Console manufacturers should have realized their original policies were not ideal for creating a proper ecosystem for indie developers. At least they finally took their heads out of their asses. Of course, there's still some shit on their faces.

Well my main problem with the nintendo service as buying my games for WiiU if available.

- No real account settings (aka system breaks you can not transfer easily)
- slow interface and slow store load.
- not able to find games on the store easily.
- not a lot of sales and sales are not really compelling
- if its not exclusive, give me the main reason why I should buy it on a nintendo platform is state of, steam/psn/xbla?

chicken and the egg situation, not buying games because there are non, games are not developed for it because no one is buying games on the store.

Nintendo should break that with developing first party titles for the WiiU eshop and showing people data about sales figures how is the store doing for great buzz and get more people to dev for it.

?

And Sony convincing with prerelease announcements? He had this in history before, quite often.

And people pointed out that 3DS and WiiU are getting indies, PS3/ Vita don´t get. You keep ignoring.

Yes? And? I havent mentioned anything about the 3dS because there is a huge install base so unless Nintendo had a terrible policy for it it'd be dumb for pubs not to release indie games on the platform. The Wii U atm needs as many indies as it can gets since its not getting many retail games. The point I made in the beginning is it wouldn't be surprising if there were indie games its not getting due to the low install base which the Vita doesnt have to worry about thanks to how easy it is to port games from the PS3.

Sandfox

Well my main problem with the nintendo service as buying my games for WiiU if available.

- if its not exclusive, give me the main reason why I should buy it on a nintendo platform is state of, steam/psn/xbla?

chicken and the egg situation, not buying games because there are non, games are not developed for it because no one is buying games on the store.

Nintendo should break that with developing first party titles for the WiiU eshop and showing people data about sales figures how is the store doing for great buzz and get more people to dev for it.

Given what Nintendo has done for the 3DS first party eshop games will probably come.

serplux

Son, what are you talking about? There's a button on the eShop that says "Indie games". There's been sales every week since December, often times with multiple sales per week with significant discounts (>25%). There are plenty of indie developers who are developing for the Wii U currently, and there have already been stories of developers who have sold well on the Wii U.

Hero

A lot of indies are in the dark about Nintendo's policies. No doubt this is why they had a big focus on spreading the word of their updated policies at GDC and events like Full Indie Summit.

Most of the indie games PS3/Vita are getting were probably in the works before Wii U was even released. Moving forward I would think you'd be hard pressed to find an indie title that wasn't going to wind up on Wii U or 3DS eShop.

Let's not make this a dick-waving list contest either.

Son, what are you talking about? There's a button on the eShop that says "Indie games". There's been sales every week since December, often times with multiple sales per week with significant discounts (>25%). There are plenty of indie developers who are developing for the Wii U currently, and there have already been stories of developers who have sold well on the Wii U.
Than they have done a terrible job on letting people know about the stuff you highlighted because I had no idea about this.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I won't add anything to serplux points, I'd just add Off TV is the main reason why one would prefer Wii U's indie games vs platforms you mentioned. Little Inferno with Off TV: awesome game to play while watching TV.

Without off TV: I have too many games I'd play over it in my backlog.

All of those things were on the front page when I was browsing the Eshop yesterday.
ok, great! :)
I really did not know that

Still think that nintendo should do more to let people know that cross platform download games are available on the platform.
Maybe its also a problem with the "enthusiast press" by not really letting people know this.

PhantomR

Banned
It's all pretty exciting really, I registered interest when they chucked up the website during GDC, but I haven't heard back in nearly a month now. Wonder if they are getting slammed or just didn't like my team..

They just got hella slammed, that's all. Try contacting Dan directly and he can probably help you out.

Coolwhip

Banned
im2dQq0Z37EvW.gif

Ironically, they almost did

I know, but seeing them taking the same approach with indies makes me wish it happened. Competent hardware and services from Sony, great games from Nintendo, oh well. It will never happen because Nintendo or Sony would never share profits.

Porcile

Seems to be attracting bigger titles more than WiiWare ever did. I'm in the boat that has bought more Indie games on Wii U than they have retail games.

Hero

Than they have done a terrible job on letting people know about the stuff you highlighted because I had no idea about this.

They have an entire section every week on the titles that go on sale on the front page of the eShop, both on Wii U and 3DS.

Seems to be attracting bigger titles more than WiiWare ever did. I'm in the boat that has bought more Indie games on Wii U than they have retail games.

There is a lot of opportunity for indies on the Wii U with how barren it is right now on the retail side of things.

If Nintendo/Iwata/Reggie had some foresight they would be fostering and helping the indies that show promise and try to help build them up into bigger entities.

What's to stop this from becoming the next XBLIG which was basically a garbage bin?

Because XBLIG was pretty much dumb right from the gates. There are some problems with garbage bin app stores like iOS can be but for the most part I think quality software is rewarded.

Rehynn

I know, but seeing them taking the same approach with indies makes me wish it happened. Competent hardware and services from Sony, great games from Nintendo, oh well. It will never happen because Nintendo or Sony would never share profits.

Nintendo doesn't need Sony to be able to come up with "competent" hardware. They already are. They've just decided not to. (Purely in terms of processing power, that is.)

Top Bottom