• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fungi found in Amazon eats plastic, could solve world waste problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slavik81

Are oil eating bacteria real and if so, why weren't they used for the gulf of Mexico oil spill?

This is just speculation on my part, but that stuff is pretty new, and I'm not sure anyone really knows what the consequences would be of a large-scale deployment. A bacterial bloom of any sort could have serious consequences itself, and things are especially dangerous and unpredictable if it's an introduced species.

And that's assuming that the bacteria can even do its job on the scale required, under the conditions required.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Sure it eats plastic. Until it gets a taste of human flesh.

It won't need to eat human flesh. What will happen is science will marvel at itself for solving the waste problem and it won't realize that the fungus doesn't distinguish between waste plastic and useful plastic. So when the landfills are gone the fungus will seek out a new means of survival: our homes and buildings. In a panic, the governments of the world will commission the creation an airborne pathogen to destroy the fungus. As it is released amid the crumbling infrastructure of society, science will once again revel in its own brilliance for saving humanity from yet another plague of its own creation.

But alas, science again doesn't consider all of the variables. Not only has their solution worked, it has worked all too well. Useful fungus begins to die, destroying the processes by which humanity processes food and creates medicine. Unable to feed ourselves, humans begin to turn on one another. Neighbor eats neighbor until all that's left of humanity are a handful of government officials and scientists. Unequipped to actually do anything useful, they wrap themselves in a cocoon of their own red tape and drift off into eternity. The planet didn't kill us. We did it to ourselves.

You guys are actually, not-ironically worried about a fungus eating civilization?

Anyway, seems cool to me, but you know how these things are...the labs will find some reason it doesn't work how we'd like it to.

Further proof that we're even lucky to be alive. The earth will always be fine, we're the ones who are fucked if it ever turns on us.

Nature has tried to kill us again and again, but we always survive. I'd say that it's more likely that we kill ourselves before anything else.

I've seen this movie. It's all good until the bacteria gets out and starts eating the plastic in our cars, airplanes, computers, etc. Suddenly jets are falling from the sky, cars fall apart, and our smart phones aren't so smart anymore.

I read the book:

5240448306_c4a738bc5f_z.jpg

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Nature has tried to kill us again and again, but we always survive. I'd say that it's more likely that we kill ourselves before anything else.

Humanity has existed in its current anatomical form for about 200,000 years. Life has been around for around three billion years. I'd say nature will have plenty more opportunities to mop up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom