• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUNimation has no involvement in upcoming English "Dragon Ball Super" dub

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.fandompost.com/2015/11/16/funimation-confirms-no-dragon-ball-super-anime-dub-involvement/

The announcement last week by Toonami Asia that they were going to be bringing out the Dragon Ball Super anime series in English next year certainly got a lot of attention and curiosity as to who would be producing the dub. While it could be seen as a precursor to FUNimation creating the dub for it and it just getting announced there first, FUNimation has confirmed that they have no involvement with this production.

FUNimation has no connection with the Toonami Asia Announcement or the premiere of its English language version of Dragon Ball Super in mid-2016.
And that’s not much of a surprise either as there are a good number of English language dubs created in Asian markets that have no involvement with North American dubbing. Still, a confirmation is good to put that speculation to rest and leave us waiting for news on what Toei Animation will be doing in North America, an old and strong fanbase of the Dragon Ball property in general.

Well, that's disappointing... Don't know how many people are going to be interested in an English dub of a Dragon Ball product in 2016 without Sean Schemmel, Christopher Sabat, Chris Ayres, etc.

CronoShot

Aren't there quite a few different english dubs of DBZ?

Just because Toonami Asia is doing one doesn't mean Funimation will never do one .

farisr

I was kinda worried there for a second. But this doesn't mean that they will not be dubbing it. Just that the Toonami Asia version is not going to be by Funimation.

There was a different English dub for DBZ in Canada.

Apath

If the voices are going to be something different from what I'm used to anyway, why wouldn't I just watch the Japanese version? At least that will have consistency.

This is non news. This doesn't apply to us

Considering that we had no idea who was doing the dub for Toonami, and Toonami had a history of airing FUNi dubs... Yeah, it is news. And not everyone is from USA, so "us" isn't a fair thing to say.

Just what the hell is taking so long for a Funi dub.

Toei charging an arm and a leg?

That's what I thought, but if FUNi can't afford it, who did pay for a dub?

Considering that we had no idea who was doing the dub for Toonami, and Toonami had a history of airing FUNi dubs... Yeah, it is news. And not everyone is from NA, so "us" isn't a fair thing to say.

This isn't really Toonami though

Bishop89

This and no faulconer is reason enough to not even bother with this.

If Kai is any indication of what super will be like, I'd hate it IMMENSELY

Same branding, same parent company. And the dubs they air of Dragon Ball series now are FUNi.

Toonami Asia airs the FUNimation DB/Z dubs.

Just because Toonami Asia aired the FUNi dubs of DBZ, does not mean that this new dub is what will go out to the rest of the world. The fact that this dub is being aired on Toonami Asia first is probably even a sign against that.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
I watched all of DB/DBZ in English, with Super I just did not want to wait. You get used to the Japanese voices pretty quickly.

Also, who cares. TFS will do it better than anyone.

Crocodile

Considering that we had no idea who was doing the dub for Toonami, and Toonami had a history of airing FUNi dubs... Yeah, it is news. And not everyone is from USA, so "us" isn't a fair thing to say.

Toonami (USA) - what everybody on this board is likely familiar with - and Toonami Asia aren't as closely related as you think they are. Considering there are already multiple English dubs for Dragon Ball/Dragonball Z, this is indeed a non-issue. If the US English dub (which would granted be the premier English dub for most of the world) wasn't done by Funimation, then yes that would be a big deal. This isn't.

The real issue is how braindamaged do Toei execs have to be to:

• not have a Funimation dub already in the works for the US (and most of the rest of the English speaking world),
  • not have a Spanish dub already in the works (I'm not familiar with who did the Spanish dubs for the most well known Spanish dubs but I know the series is super popular in Spanish speaking countries and I see it all the time on TV when I've been in Spanish speaking countries for extended periods of time)
  • not have an official simulcast (through Funimation or even Hulu or Daisuki or Crunchyroll or SOMEONE) for the show as it airs in Japan
Like WTF is Toei doing?

Funimations headquarters are apparently right down the street from me. (I'm talking like two miles) I'm tempted to camp outside and wait till I see the voice actor of Wrath from FMA and beg him for an autograph.

If memory serves me correctly, Disney XD Asia had their own english Digimon Fusion dub that differed from our own. Likely the same deal going on here. Toonami Asia will have their own dub of Super and whenever we get our dub for Super it'll be done by Funi. Granted I know Disney XD Asia != Toonami Asia, but the logic kind of works.

Snaku

Banned
Toonami (USA) - what everybody on this board is likely familiar with - and Toonami Asia aren't as closely related as you think they are. Considering there are already multiple English dubs for Dragon Ball/Dragonball Z, this is indeed a non-issue. If the US English dub (which would granted be the premier English dub for most of the world) wasn't done by Funimation, then yes that would be a big deal. This isn't.

• not have a Funimation dub already in the works for the US (and most of the rest of the English speaking world),
  • not have a Spanish dub already in the works (I'm not familiar with who did the Spanish dubs for the most well known Spanish dubs but I know the series is super popular in Spanish speaking countries and I see it all the time on TV when I've been in Spanish speaking countries for extended periods of time)
  • not have an official simulcast (through Funimation or even Hulu or Daisuki or Crunchyroll or SOMEONE) for the show as it airs in Japan
Like WTF is Toei doing?

It's even more bizarre when you consider how Resurrection F was fast tracked for a western release. Everyone thought Toei and Funi had reached a new level of cooperation, but with Super we're right back to the same old shit.

When I was a kid everyone used to hate the Funimation dubs. Are they good now?

Hit and miss. Their only legitimately good dub they've put out in the last few years, IMO, is Space Dandy.

What are those two up to these days?

Scott McNeil is doing video game work (he's Durotan for Blizzard), and TV shows (stuff like Falling Skies and Ninjago"

Brian Drummond is doing stuff like LEGO Star Wars and My Little Pony.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Like WTF is Toei doing?

Yep, this doesn't apply to the USA at all.

Moaradin

It's even more bizarre when you consider how Resurrection F was fast tracked for a western release. Everyone thought Toei and Funi had reached a new level of cooperation, but with Super we're right back to the same old shit.

We still don't know a release date for Kai Buu saga, even though Funimation was done recording for it a while ago. Lot of weird stuff going on with DBZ.

Hit and miss. Their only legitimately good dub they've put out in the last few years, IMO, is Space Dandy.

FMA:B
Baccano
One Piece
DBZ Kai and the recent movies
Steins Gate
Ping Pong
Space Dandy
recent simuldubs like Kekkai Sensen

We still don't know a release date for Kai Buu saga, even though Funimation was done recording for it a while ago. Lot of weird stuff going on with DBZ.

FMA:B
Baccano
One Piece
DBZ Kai and the recent movies
Steins Gate
Ping Pong
Space Dandy
recent simuldubs like Kekkai Sensen
Steins;Gate's was awesome besides a few jokes that just didn't work dubbed.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Good maybe ill actually watch it in English and it will probably have the Japanese soundtrack too

DBZ Kai had the Japanese soundtrack
It just had to get replaced with the original DBZ soundtrack after Yamamoto got caught plagiarizing.

In fact, ALL of Funi's dubs lately have the original soundtrack. It's not 1999 anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom