• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FUNimation has no involvement in upcoming English "Dragon Ball Super" dub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee-Row

Banned
That's because the initial dub they did, they had a very rough transition when they took over. Hadn't settled into the voices/performances. They redubbed over a lot of the rough stuff now, released the show with the japanese soundtrack, and released a vastly superior Kai dub (basing this off comments, I haven't actually seen Kai dubbed) as well.Released dragonbox editions of the series as well. Gaining a lot of goodwill from the fans.

Their dubs are generally good now for any anime.Oh man, that music is just irritating.

The Ocean dub for the Cell saga and beyond was weird because they recycled the music from the Mega Man cartoon.

totowhoa

Banned
I hope this isn't true for the NA release. If so, whichever Funi exec that ruined this relationship should be canned. Seriously, damn dude.

Hire me as your goddam office manager if you need someone to bitch slap the c-suites. I'd be glad

The title is so misleading and OP's comment doesn't help either. Seriously, this is non news, this is a dub for Asia and isn't the same dub the west will get. A mod should change the title.

zulux21

I'm not worried about funimation doing a dub for this, just worried that it won't be a timely dub when my theory is proved correct.

Given the success for this on cartoon network in the past, Cartoon network likely picked up the rights for a TV broadcast.

They are currently in the middle of airing the first season of DBZ Kai.

Season 2 of Kai is rumored to be fully dubbed but nothing officially has been announced by funimation.

Cartoon network likely wants to air it on their station before it hits DVD so is likely making funimation sit on the home video rights until after it airs on their station.

Cartoon network likely wants to milk this all as long as it can thus has no reason to rush their airing of DB kai to get to the second season of Kai and no reason to rush that to get to Super.

Funimation would likely love to release these things, but the TV contract is likely worth a decent chunk of change and in the long term will be better for them to sit on the home video releases.

The number of dragon ball fans that would watch the english dub and not still watch it because they watched the show in japanese as it aired is very tiny, especially with a long delay between the japanese release and english most people would just rewatch the series in english as it came out even if they watched it in japanese.

Thus there is no harm in playing the slow release card for cartoon network. I mean it's not like the DBZ fandom died off while it was off the air, there is no reason to think that this is a strike while the iron is hot type moment, the fans will be there whenever it happens.

Cartoon network currently airs a single episode of dbz kai a week. If you include 4 weeks for breaks (decemember often sees a few weeks off and a random week or two elsewhere) that is 48 episodes a year.

ANGRY SUPER SAIYAN!?GOKU THROWS DOWN THE GAUNTLET! will air this saturday meaning they are are about to air episode 48.

there are 98 episode to the first season of dbz kai meaning in about a year we will likely hear that db super season 2 is coming to adult swim.

there are 61 episodes of the second season meaning it will likely be around 2-2.5 years from now before we hear a dragon ball super dub is coming aka around the time that db super may be ending in japan.

so it could be as late as early 2018 before we start seeing a dragon ball super dub.

the only slightly positive thing is there will likely be a new dragon ball movie each year that isn't tied to tv rights and that funimation can push out right away so we will at least have some new db content in english from time to time.

I really hope this theory is wrong as I don't want to wait for db super in funimation english for that long, but with each passing month with no db kai season 2 announcement and no db super announcement it seems more and more likely :/

Branson

Has Funimation dubbed the Buu saga from Kai yet? I've been holding off on of Kai until I could watch it in its entirety dubbed.

It's apparently been dubbed or in the process of it for a while. The voice actors talked about it on the F blu-ray about how they changed the direction for Gohan a bit in Buu Kai.

No word officially. It's for sure worked on though.

I'm not worried about funimation doing a dub for this, just worried that it won't be a timely dub when my theory is proved correct.

Given the success for this on cartoon network in the past, Cartoon network likely picked up the rights for a TV broadcast.

They are currently in the middle of airing the first season of DBZ Kai.

Season 2 of Kai is rumored to be fully dubbed but nothing officially has been announced by funimation.

Cartoon network likely wants to air it on their station before it hits DVD so is likely making funimation sit on the home video rights until after it airs on their station.

Cartoon network likely wants to milk this all as long as it can thus has no reason to rush their airing of DB kai to get to the second season of Kai and no reason to rush that to get to Super.

Funimation would likely love to release these things, but the TV contract is likely worth a decent chunk of change and in the long term will be better for them to sit on the home video releases.

The number of dragon ball fans that would watch the english dub and not still watch it because they watched the show in japanese as it aired is very tiny, especially with a long delay between the japanese release and english most people would just rewatch the series in english as it came out even if they watched it in japanese.

Thus there is no harm in playing the slow release card for cartoon network. I mean it's not like the DBZ fandom died off while it was off the air, there is no reason to think that this is a strike while the iron is hot type moment, the fans will be there whenever it happens.

Cartoon network currently airs a single episode of dbz kai a week. If you include 4 weeks for breaks (decemember often sees a few weeks off and a random week or two elsewhere) that is 48 episodes a year.

ANGRY SUPER SAIYAN!?GOKU THROWS DOWN THE GAUNTLET! will air this saturday meaning they are are about to air episode 48.

there are 98 episode to the first season of dbz kai meaning in about a year we will likely hear that db super season 2 is coming to adult swim.

there are 61 episodes of the second season meaning it will likely be around 2-2.5 years from now before we hear a dragon ball super dub is coming aka around the time that db super may be ending in japan.

so it could be as late as early 2018 before we start seeing a dragon ball super dub.

the only slightly positive thing is there will likely be a new dragon ball movie each year that isn't tied to tv rights and that funimation can push out right away so we will at least have some new db content in english from time to time.

I really hope this theory is wrong as I don't want to wait for db super in funimation english for that long, but with each passing month with no db kai season 2 announcement and no db super announcement it seems more and more likely :/
I highly doubt Toonami would be dumb enough to wait on Super. They'll likely air Kai and Super side by side like they did with Naruto and Shippuden for awhile. Juding by how long it took for Kai to air on US TV my guess is that Super will start airing on Toonami around August or so.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How the fuck is the Funi dub not a thing yet? Does Toei no like money? What an obsolete company.

Lelcar

Chris Sabat, Sean Schemmel and Justin Cook (voice actors/producer) have been vocal about trying their best to get the dub. They haven't made any comment on twitter yet, but yeah, if true or if final, then that's a huge disappointment.

Chris Sabat, Sean Schemmel and Justin Cook (voice actors/producer) have been vocal about trying their best to get the dub. They haven't made any comment on twitter yet, but yeah, if true or if final, then that's a huge disappointment.
Again, this is just a dub for Asia that will never leave Asia.

zulux21

I highly doubt Toonami would be dumb enough to wait on Super. They'll likely air Kai and Super side by side like they did with Naruto and Shippuden for awhile. Juding by how long it took for Kai to air on US TV my guess is thar Super will start airing on Toonami around August or so.

I'll hope that will be the case, but they really don't have any reason at all to rush airing super. The market will be there regardless how long it takes.

I mean it really wouldn't be dumb on their part at all.

if you look here you can see a ton of toonami numbers

DBZ kai kicks off their anime block on saturday

on august 8th dbz kai set the all time high viewer numbers for toonami's reboot

those numbers are quite a bit more healthy than when it first started airing.

if we look back when it first started airing we can see that dbz kai instantly takes over the top ratings for the block despite not being the first aired show.

V57tesi.png

Y1ZQEL0.png
from there attack on titan takes back over the top spot by a very small margine for the next few weeks and dbz kai stays really strong for them for the whole time despite being aired on cartoon network years after its original release and these episodes already having been released on nick or disney hd I can't remember which.

source (finding the actual data takes a while :/ nov 15th if you want it)

tl;dr: dragon ball gets toonami numbers with new episodes. I am not showing the numbers there but the reruns attract half the people a few hours before the new episodes. They will want to keep that strong lead in as long as possible.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
There are like half a dozen DBZ english dubs. Super will be no different

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom