• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

funny: Settlers 7 US vs EU boxarts

nevermind the drm for a couple of seconds, is this real?

boxshot_uk_large.jpg
boxshot_us_large.jpg

:lol :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I knew what it would be like before clicking the thread

Psychic powers represent!

just think about someone who buys the US box. He'll install the game and see something like this:

Siedler7-1.jpg

:lol

misleading Boxart FTW

edit: I only googled that shot. It's not mine. I don't have anything to do with it if this is out of the beta.

The game is great, I'll give you that.

Doytch

More Fun To Compute said:
So the left hand side of the box is supposed to represent a peaceful economy? :lol
Uhh yeah. Don't you see dude carrying rocks? White European people only carry rocks when they be building some righteous shit. Like cathedrals. Or monasteries.

Doytch said:
Uhh yeah. Don't you see dude carrying rocks? White European people only carry rocks when they be building some righteous shit. Like cathedrals. Or monasteries.

That guy has a really intense carrying rocks face. Those rocks are going to get carried, no two ways about it.

LQX

Well you do have a lot of people on GAF that love their box art to the point of making there own. I bet many would choose the US box regardless of how the game looked and I'm one of them.

Like I said before, the game is great. But don't expect anything like Settlers 1-4. It's a mix out of Settlers 6 (with better transporting), Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne (board game if anyone is familiar)

Can't talk much more, sorry :(

iceatcs

Wow completely difference.

I can image that an American kid will hang this US cover as poster on their bedroom.

eznark

Banned
The US box art makes it look like a generic empire builder.

The EU box art makes it look like a Flash based city builder.

The screen shot makes me want to buy the game.

Enosh

iceatcs said:
Wow completely difference.

I can image that an American kid will hang this US cover as poster on their bedroom.
European kids aren't that difrent from american ones and would also choose the US poster over the EU one

Sloane

Banned
:lol

Anyone who's ever played The Settlers probably wouldn't even recognize the game by the US boxart. Awful.

Enosh said:
European kids aren't that difrent from american ones and would also choose the US poster over the EU one
Settlers is pretty big over here, so I'd doubt that.

AniHawk

I've somehow entered a portal to the early 1990s. I have to warn everyone about the dangers of President Clinton, and how the Simpsons will start sucking in about 7-8 years or so.

Jex

This is the flat out stupid, do they really think that is going to sell more copies of a PC game? Couldn't they have just added an angry scowl to all the peoples faces like in the US versions of Kirby boxart?

tokkun

Chris Remo said:
LOOK HOW AWESOME YOU ARE. THAT TOTALLY BADASS GUY IS YOU. OH MY GOD YOU ARE FUCKING RAD.

OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.

tokkun said:
OR...maybe it is actually representative of the different cultural viewpoints on the impact of colonization during the time of European empire building. The Euro cover represents the whitewashing of history by former imperial powers that are guilty over the long-lasting impacts of their colonies in Africa and Latin America. On the other hand, the US box art shows the brutality and violence that come part & parcel with settling a new land, representing the US Anti-Imperialism movement of the 20th century.
Well played.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
eznark said:
The US box art makes it look like a generic empire builder.

The EU box art makes it look like a Flash based city builder.

The screen shot makes me want to buy the game.
Pretty much the exact same for me. Damn is that US box generic. It probably wouldn't get a second look from me on a shelf, just does practically nothing to stand out.

Whether you like the art style or not, the cover for Borderlands is incredibly eye catching IMO. Probably helped out a lot with the great sales it has had. The cheapo 90s knockoff cover of Darksiders probably helped it out a good deal, too, but I think I heard overall sales for that haven't been too great?

tokkun said:

Wow awesome post :)

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Even Nintendo has grown out of this now. Embarrassing. Do they really think that boxart is going to convince an uniformed Gears of War fan to buy Settlers 7?

Top Bottom