• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fusion energy breakthrough to be revealed on Tuesday by US Department of Energy

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think it was more the tone than the data/argument itself.

For the actual q[plasma] point, it sounds like it is a pedantic argument about communicating scientific advancements to the general public. AJUMP23 AJUMP23 posted a great video from the actual scientist explaining what they achieved and that it is a positive step but work is still to be done. Start with that vid IMO, then if the subject is still interesting, check out those links I shared or hop on Google.
Shake Agree GIF by Envy

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I'm not interested in the ban, rather the subject that was cut short. I haven't gotten round to reading @Maiden Voyage's links yet but it seems like there's some doubt surrounding the claims, and didn't know if that's misunderstanding, misrepresentation, or something else
"All the scientists are lying and you're an idiot" is a compelling argument to you?

Soodanim

Gold Member
I think it was more the tone than the data/argument itself.

For the actual q[plasma] point, it sounds like it is a pedantic argument about communicating scientific advancements to the general public. AJUMP23 AJUMP23 posted a great video from the actual scientist explaining what they achieved and that it is a positive step but work is still to be done. Start with that vid IMO, then if the subject is still interesting, check out those links I shared or hop on Google.
Much appreciated! That sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for.
"All the scientists are lying and you're an idiot" is a compelling argument to you?
I never said that was. But when someone zeroes in on a specific point, it at least offers up something to be explained. It was a question of whether or not there was anything to what he was saying, and by extension at what stage of the information being passed along any confusion or misunderstanding (from any party) may have happened. Essentially, why he's wrong, not just he's wrong. Thankfully AJump/MV seem to have that covered, so I'll be able to get the answer I'm looking for.

It's not uncommon to see bold claims about energy related things (there's a new battery breakthrough every month), nor to see research papers/findings be massively misunderstood and then misrepresented by those reading them. So when a discussion presents the possibility that it's just another thing that will go nowhere and that isn't the case, that makes it all the more disappointing when it stops dead. It may be laziness and a lack of getting a chance to look at the links on my end, but message boards have always been great places to see discussions play out and clear things like that up for those that might not get round to diving into the material.

Ok, concretely, what are the odds of us seeing this in commercial within our lifetime? I am hoping air travel becomes faster before I die.

I wonder if it's likely the first industry shake up is upscaled "hot swap" compartmentalised batteries running a routine schedule and shared between a carrier's fleet. I reckon as panels/charging improves there might be a case for charge on the go tech before major tech leaps, lots of educational institutions pushing these technologies to students. Tesla of the airways if you like. One could also envisage airport runways or unused land lots converted to solar farms to run the airports and charging services. The trouble with massive tech leaps is the infrastructure and legislation has to catch up. Batteries are a proven tech these days e.g. EV cars.

Conversely, it's just as likely aircraft get smaller, lighter and routes far more specific to the person travelling or more like owning a car over taking the bus e.g. personal/small ride share Uber Air / flying drone taxis vs bulk commercial passenger flights to set departures and set destinations.

I suppose the take-off and landing aspects are about to be massively shaken up in the aviation industry, much like Uber did to taxis but closer to Uber vs public train transport.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Government organizations/departments lie about this sort of shit all the time to get attention, and then funding. NASA has been running these scams for about 40 years at this point. I don’t believe that this is what they claim it is.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Much easier to remain huddled beneath the overarching umbrella of conspiracy theory than try to understand what’s actually going on in the world. Doesn’t make for a very palatable discussion thread, though.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Yes, nobody in the government would ever lie to you, citizen.
So did we land on the moon or…?

And it’s not like Lawrence Livermore National Lab is known for being some sort of con:

Over its 60-year history, Lawrence Livermore has made many scientific and technological achievements, including:

On July 17, 2009 LLNL announced that the Laboratory had received eight R&D 100 Awards – more than it had ever received in the annual competition. The previous LLNL record of seven awards was reached five times – in 1987, 1988, 1997, 1998 and 2006.

Also known as the "Oscars of invention," the awards are given each year for the development of cutting-edge scientific and engineering technologies with commercial potential. The awards raise LLNL's total number of awards since 1978 to 129.

On October 12, 2016, LLNL released the results of computerized modeling of Mars's moon Phobos, finding that it has a connection with keeping the Earth safe from asteroids.[37]

In December, 2022 scientists at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory announced, in a breakthrough for fusion power technology, that they have used the technique of inertial confinement fusion to achieve a net gain of energy.[38]The National Ignition Facility (NIF) became the first fusion reactor to achieve breakeven on December 5, 2022, with an experiment producing 3.15 megajoules of energy from a 2.05 megajoule input of laser light for an energy gain of about 1.5.[39][40][41][42]
sauce

It’s pretty easy to scoff and claim this is a lie online, as we see, but it’s ridiculous considering LLNL would have to be staking their stellar reputation over what would be a giant lie that would 100% be discovered eventually via peer review.

I don’t know if they still offer tours but when I was in grade school they did and it was awesome, maybe go check it out.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
I think its great we're making step towards cracking it. I appreciate that skepticism of some here, as this is subject routinely trotted out as 'coming super soon!' every few years- but I think that we *are* making progress and we're much closer than we think. Breakthroughs like this are bound to happen. I just hope I'm here long enough to see a fusion future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom